MAC #190 Foundation Brush

4.3

on 2/3/2015 5:20:00 AM

This is a review for the travel size 190 which I received in a Limited Edition brush set many moons ago.

I've used this for years and it's never failed me. However, because of the shape of the brush head, I primarily use this if I'm looking for a fuller coverage (most often for nights out, special occassions etc) as it can be easily built up without causing any aggrivation. The only downside to a fuller coverage (as with all foundations) is that it becomes more obvious on the skin. That said, this tool is very versitle and can achieve any coverage from light/medium to full. It simply depends on your brush technique. As such, this is a great brush for folk with drier skin because you are gently swiping the tool across the skin rather than buffing/stippling it in, therefore avoiding any flakey microexfoliation.

Let's break this down and make it easy:

PROS
Good tapered brush shape meaning delicate areas are easy to cover/reach
Does not irritate dry patches as only a steady one-way-sweeping motion is necessary. No buffing required so microexfoliation is at a minumum. Gentle.
Allows for a coverage that can be built up from medium to full without any aggrivation
No seperating on the nose as far as I can tell
Easy to wash and very durable - I have had mine for approximately 9 years and it still looks as good as new.

CONS
I find foundation gets soaked up in the brush, thus wasting product.
VERY expensive (far too expensive) but given it has lasted 9 (if not 10) years, perhaps the expense is worth it?
Thinner/smaller brush head (than the likes of the Sigma F80) and as such, it takes longer to apply a layer of foundation as you have to be more precise. Up to personal preference whether this bothers you or not.
Because you are essentially painting the product on, it can occassionally feel like it is sitting on your skin a little and is, as such, more obvious that you are wearing a foundation. Not a problem, you just have to watch how you apply it. This would be the same for any brush of this type though.
Time consuming to use/apply foundation with - not ideal if you are in a rush for work, etc.

on 6/8/2014 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought this and a Bobbi Brown within a short time frame. This brush offers mediocre results compared to the BB. Besides, after the first week of use and cleaning with soap and hit water, it lost softness and became brittle, while the BB can be washed without any problem.

After a month, this brush started to give a streaked result and I could not manage to clean it properly. I am disappointed, as I bought a couple of other MAC brushes and I do not have any problem with them.

on 5/30/2014 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I didn't actually buy this brush by itself since I bought my MAC brushes by set which actually costs probably a couple of hundreds less as a set rather than buying them all individually. I honestly don't like using paddle brushes for applying foundation as to no matter what brand it maybe or thick and meaty the brush may be, it'll always leave out streaks on your face which is clearly something that no one would set as a goal. However I've been using this brush for a lot of purposes just not foundation. You may use it as a brush for applying primer especially if the paddle brush is synthetic or like what I've been doing lately, I've been using this brush to go over my foundation with a sheer-light coverage concealer just to make that triangle highlight from under my eyes to my cheeks which it's perfect for that because you don't get streaks at all since the concealer is sheer and it won't move your foundation since it's already clung onto your skin unless you use a heavy hand which you're not supposed to be. It's basically more of a large primer/concealer brush in my opinion. Rather than a foundation brush

on 3/13/2014 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this brush!!!
It makes easier to apply foundation, more smooth and even skin. Better than apply by fingers or sponge.
I can't live without this brush. It might be so expensive but I can tell "it is worth!"
It's expensive but it can be stay along with you for many years.

Must have item for anyone who loves foundation.

on 12/30/2013 9:00:00 AM

I bought this after reading a couple of reviews, and because I needed a new one. It is absolutely not a cheap brush, even in overpriced Norway this brush was expensive: I paid $65/£40/€47/NOK400 for this! It is totally not worth a quarter of the price... It gives a terribly streaky result and sucks up half of the product ~ even after watching a bunch of tutorials from MUAs and ordinary youtubers this gives the same, terrible result! I was super disappointed, after all... So many people say this is great - well, to me, it wasn't! I'd much rather buy the Real Techniques Expert Face brush and the Core Collection!

on 12/6/2013 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I use this brush for liquid foundation and concealer. It blends smooothly and evenly with no streaking. The bristles are soft and haven't shedded so far. I wash the brush after every use with a gentle, fragrance-free soap and it's just like new every time!

on 8/28/2013 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Initially I thought this brush was just barely adequate for applying foundation, but after I purchased better brushes, like the 187 duo fiber, my opinion of the 190 immediately changed. I realized that the duo fiber brush was doing a much better job with regard to application and blending of foundation. No more streaks! It also was taking a lot less time, time that I had sadly wasted in trying to get an even application with the 190! My190 brush remains unused in addition to my perfectly useless 136 Blush Brush which is far too large for blush application. I have found that the small duo fiber 130 brush does an awesome job of applying blush! The 190 foundation brush and the 136 blush brush are my two least favorite Mac brushes. (After reading some reviews on the 190 I have decided to attempt to put it to use for the application of my concealer. I don't know if it will work for this purpose, but it's worth a try.)

on 8/27/2013 12:07:00 AM

The first foundation brush I owned was a cheap brand, which I thought was awesome at the time in comparison to using my fingers. One day I was at MAC buying my foundation and one of the girls convinced me to buy the 190. Best. Decision. Ever.

About the 190:The bristles are super fine, soft, flexible (but not too flexible), and extremely densely packed. I have had mine for more than 2 years and have not seen one single hair shed yet. The shape of the brush is great too, it's just the right length and has a nice subtle tip which is great for getting in around the eye area and the edges of your nose.

The result: better blending, streak free, more natural appearance and less product use.

If you're still not convinced then hear this: the first day I used my 190, my husband said my makeup looked better than usual. When I asked him to explain, he said that my skin tone looked more natural and even than usual. And he's not the type to notice that kind of thing so be impressed! Be very impressed!

A few people have complained that they feel this applies their foundation too heavily. If you get a blob of foundation on the brush and apply directly to your face, then yes, you will get very heavy application! The trick to avoid this is to use a palette - I use a MAC one that looks like a little hand mirror. How to: apply a some of your foundation to the palette and gently swipe the brush against the palette, picking up a small amount of foundation, then keep swiping to spread the product out on the brush BEFORE you apply it to your face. If in doubt, ask a MAC artist to show you how.

Only con: I took one lippy off the packaging score because I find the handle on this brush way too long. I like to get up close to the mirror but the handle length prevents me from doing that. I ended up sawing off half the handle and sanding the edges smooth (I can see you all cringing). Yes it's ugly now, but functions better in my opinion!

on 8/6/2013 1:18:00 PM

One of the best foundation brushes I have used. I hope it proves its value by lasting a long time.

on 7/28/2013 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I got this brush very cheap for a mac brush so I thought I would give it a go. This brush is good for around the eyes but not very good for the whole face as it is quite a small brush. The brush feels great at first but gets harder to use (even when you clean it). Thr brush creates faint lines on your face and it seems to soak up your foundation. I would not buy this product again (especially at full price!) The packaging is a rubbish little plastic wallet and the brush is too long to fit into my make up bag.