Aura Cacia Apricot Kernel Oil

4.4

PRUNUS ARMENIACA (APRICOT) KERNEL OIL, D-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E ACETATE).

on 12/10/2014 5:31:00 PM

With all the great reviews, I tried it on my face...Loved the way it made my skin look but it caused me to break out. I will use it on my eyes though. I tried it and other oils for taking off eye makeup but I think EVOO works the best.

This review is not specifically for this brand, just generic pure cold pressed Apricot Kernel oil. It doesn't smell particularly of apricots so it's ideal to use on dry ends or added to conditioner. I use it on my daughter's dry, very curly hair as a change to her usual sweet almond and essential oil blend. It's light and I'm pretty sure it penetrates the cuticle as her hair isn't particularly greasy afterwards providing I use it sparingly. I wouldn't dream of trying it on my face as I'm prone to outbreaks and very happy with my current blend (and my Decleor aromessence when I can afford to splurge) so if it ain't broke I'm not fixing it. I'm not convinced it will promote hair growth so I use other oils on the roots, but for conditioning and sealing it's a good 'un. And the price is good too.

on 11/27/2013 9:34:00 AM

I love this!
granted- I've only used it a handful of times but I've been searching for an oil to replace a moisturizer because they're more natural and I find them more effective.
I have combination skin but it's always dehydrated and looking dull.
this product gives my skin a glow, it makes it look almost airbrushed.
as for the actual "effectiveness" of it i'm not sure yet,
I chose this because it's supposed to be good with hydration, acne, scarring & apparently eyelash growth.
I'll update on all these as soon as I see a difference (good or bad)

Edit: acne :(

on 11/21/2013 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've used jojoba in the past to add to moisturizer that needed to be heavier - it often caused breakouts even thought I've read it's not supposed to be clogging. So, winter rolled around again this year and my new moisturizer wasn't quite doing it. I wanted an oil to add and so I picked up the aura cacia oil at my local coop. It's not too heavy and it spreads easily. It doesn't sink in quite as quickly as I'd like, but I think it does a great job of moisturizing. So far, it hadn't clogged pores like jojoba. I'm hoping that long-term use will not be an issue.

UPDATE: this is causing big cysts for me. :( sad.

on 10/27/2013 9:06:00 AM

I really wanted this to work after reading all the reviews about how it makes your skin glow. I tried oil cleansing with it; I always wash my face with organic soap after oil cleansing and I had to wash twice because the apricot oil wouldn't come off. The next day, I had red bumps on my forehead. I wanted to give it another try, so I mixed 2 drops to my BB cream; that night, after removing my makeup, the red bumps had multiplied. I think I tried it one more time as a night moisturizer (3 drops to moist skin) because I refused to believe it was this oil causing the bumps, but the next morning, my forehead looked angry and red. I stopped using it 2 days ago and my forehead is cleared. I'll give this oil 3 stars bc it's good as a body moisturizer. I love the texture and silky/nectar like consistency similar to a serum. Feels very nice. Too bad my forehead gets congested easily and can't tolerate this oil. For anyone who has a similar problem as me, rosehip oil and hemp seed oil do not clog my pores and doesn't break me out--these two oils make my skin glow and give me a plumped look while evening out skintone. These oils might be better for you than apricot.

on 9/19/2013 3:49:00 PM

LOVE this oil. Probably my favorite oil to use on my skin, except for the Seaberry Oil that Fresh makes (which is much pricier than this.) This gives me such a nice glow, and has never caused even one clogged pore for me. Very moisturizing but not heavy, and absorbs nicely. I can also use it in my hair, on my decolletage, my hands, etc. I use the Aura Cacia brand which works just fine, but the bottle sometimes shoots out much more oil than necessary so I end up using it for things other than my face. Thankfully it softens so well that I don't mind using a lot of it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

It breaks me out in whiteheads and little red bumps, which is a shame since it gave my skin such a nice glow :( I'm not sure if I'm allergic to it or my super sensitive acne prone skin just couldn't handle it but either way it's disappointing. Price is wonderful though and much cheaper than jojoba oil & argan oil, but the packaging is terrible. I only needed a few drops for my face but a huge amount just squirts out all over the place every time and I ended up emptying it into a glass dropper bottle. I use it for my hair and body now, which is alright.

on 4/22/2013 3:57:00 PM

I can see how this would be an amazing moisturizer but for my sensitive skin it is a big no-go! I have completely broken out all over my face since using this oil. However, it did not feel greasy and seemed to absorb nicely and left my skin feeling soft and supple. My skin just didn't like it. I am, however using it around my eyes as wrinkle prevention and haven't had any negative affects yet. It does seem to make my eyes look younger and I can't argue with that! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This review is not for the brand listed, but it is for Apricot Kernel Oil. I purchased mine in the vegetarian health food section of a well-known grocery store. The label reads "Spectrum Organics expeller pressed, 100% naturally refined, marked excellent for skin care". I paid under 8 dollars for it and it's a decent size bottle. Do not buy synthetic oil, which has been stripped of its properties.
Since I've been into the OCM, I've been experimenting with various oils. I find using oils separately on my face in my daily facial regime to be most beneficial. I look at it this way. When I read the ingredients of my most trusted products, I find various oils in them. So I then take those oils and apply them sparingly to my skin. The results have been amazing. I haven't always liked all the oils 100% for my face, but I have liked them for various reasons.
Apricot Kernel Oil is an outstanding oil. I'll pour about a teaspoon into my palms. That sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Then I'll pat it into my face, under my eyes, and suddenly, it disappears into my skin, without any greasiness. This is after I have cleansed my skin and used my softener/toner. I was amazed the first time I did this with my Apricot Kernel Oil. I have tried other oils and they left my face rather greasy/oily. But not this one. My face just looked dewy. It takes roughly two teaspoons of oil to complete my face/neck/decolletage area/back of my hands. There is no greasy feel left. My skin absorbs this delightful oil, there is no fragrance and my skin just looks fresh. On top of that, my skin is gently hydrated. Not overly hydrated, just gently hydrated. I can do this morning or night. Next, I'll use my serum, then my moisturizer. Using this oil has allowed me to cut back on the amount of product I am using of serum/moisturizer, etc. What's left on my hands I'll run through my hair. It does not make my hair greasy at all, but rather just imparts a shine and has made my hair healthier, cured any frizzies and given it a boost for volume.
Apricot Kernel Oil is a carrier oil and should be refrigerated once opened. It's light and known for its moisturizing properties, balancing your skin, firming and toning your skin and hydration. It contains GLA, gamma linoleic acid, which maintains moisture balance. It also is rich in Vitamin A and E, which soothe the skin and slow the signs of aging. It also is used in hair treatments to restore shine.
It was discovered in China over three thousand years ago for its healing properties and the effects it has on skin and hair. That should give you a good idea how important this oil should be in your natural health cabinet for your skin preparations.
It's one of my HG of oils that I'll always keep around. Since I've been using it, I can see a difference in my hair. I notice a softness to my complexion. My skin products synergize together in a more positive way than before. The product is economical and it's making the total sum of my other products more economical, too. It's definitely a keeper for me. My skin is happier for it. Since it does go rancid eventually, use it also on your body to keep your overall skin soft and hydrated. It's an inexpensive alternative to high-priced moisturizers, yet it still has anti-aging properties. You're applying anti-aging moisturizers to your entire body for a fraction of the cost of what the big companies would charge you. Now that's a good deal.

on 4/11/2013 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This review is not for this specific brand, but apricot oil nonetheless. I had bought some to make homemade lip scrub with, which I did once. ;) While it did make a very nice scrub with brown sugar, I was too lazy to keep making it, so I had this oil sitting around. I use a different oil for makeup removal, so thought I would just try to use this up as a moisturizer. Turns out my skin seems to like it! I use just 2 drops for my whole face, and pat it in right after a shower at night. (it's just a bit too heavy for me to use during the day) It soaks right in and my face is super soft. It's not greasy at all. My skin is generally oily but this doesn't seem to make it worse, and it hasn't broken me out. I plan to keep using it since it feels nice and my skin seems happy with it. :)

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated Aura Cacia Products