December 21, 2014 | 1817 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Remington - Wet 2 Straight

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by glamycakes2014

the best straightener i ever used.....i love that it dried my hair and was still straightning it.....i hate having to wait for my hair to dry so this is amazing

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have the wide version of this. It works fine, even does wet hair, which saves me a ton of time. After using this I have silky soft straight hair. I do dislike that it sometimes snags at the end of the plates, have lost some hairs to that. Also the handle gets pretty hot after a short while.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by jmmcd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I have owned two versions of this flat iron now, both the purple tourmaline version with a digital display and the soy version with a manual dial and power switch.

First of all, let me state that normally, I can't dry heat style my hair AT ALL. Not even blow drying... sure, there's cool shot, but that takes so long to do it's really not even worth it to me, so I normally allow my hair to air dry. It's baby fine, coarse, high porosity, 3B curly, and prone to dryness and breakage. I always wanted to flat iron my hair, but greatly feared the damage all the extra dry heat styling would do.

So when I first came across this flat iron, of course, my interest was peaked because instead of trying to style my hair dry with heat, it proposed it could be done with my hair damp using LESS heat and without robbing it of the moisture it actually needs to be healthy.

Ever since I picked it up, it's been the ONLY style of flat iron I will use since. It takes a lot less time than what I've seen traditional flat ironing take, and it always leaves my hair actually healthier than it was before I flat ironed it. It leaves behind the perfect amount of moisture, and has not once damaged my hair (the proof is in the fact I can get a hair cut every four months and only have to lose a half inch off it).

It does take a bit of a learning curve to learn to use. At first, the sizzling scared the crap out of me... I soon learned that this was actually a good guide to when I needed to move on to the next section, because once the sizzling became minimal it means that section is dry enough to move on. It's also important to note it is far better for your hair and quicker if you just straighten it in one pass, though you can do a second pass with it dry just to get flatter results. Even without the second pass though, the results are pretty impressive, and I've only done the second pass when I wanted to get bone straight, mirror like quality. Working around your scalp takes some talent, as it does have poor insulation which if not done just right results in you accidentally burning your scalp. The best thing to do is start several inches away from your scalp (somewhere around 3 inches, my guess) and make absolutely sure you point the vents away from your head. The heat and steam from it being nearby will mostly dry the hair around your scalp, and even though you will notice it's slightly damper than the rest of your hair for a couple of minutes afterwards, this doesn't seem to present an issue to how straight it gets and quickly goes away. It is also important to note that the best results can be achieved from damp, NOT wet hair, so towel dry your hair well before using this flat iron on it. Also note... just like with a regular flat iron... the best temperature to flatten your hair with will be greatly dependent on your hair type. The best thing to do is start out with a low setting (half way to maximum temperature at the MAX for damp hair) and then work your way up or down from there depending on your needs (down if it seems to be drying or damaging your hair too much, up if it doesn't seem to be straightening it well enough).

I know silicone products are highly popular as protectants, but I seriously would not recommend them for anyone with coarse/dry/damaged/treated hair as anything but a weather proofing additive to a primary oil based protectant, mainly because while silicone does protect, it does not nourish and even dries your hair out a little, while oil based products protect, nourish, AND condition without depleting any moisture at all but locking it in instead. Right now I use African Pride Olive Miracle leave in conditioner followed by African Pride Olive Miracle hair oil and add a few drops of silicone based serum to that if I want to make it more weather/humidity proof. I have also used oil moisturizers and hair dressings as my protectants with great success.

Now, for a run down of the differences between the two different versions of this flat iron:

- The soy/manual version is WAY more conditioning, and you get smoother results with it, but those with baby fine/oily hair may find it leaves their hair feeling "greasy"
- The soy/manual version is less likely to snag hair
- The soy/manual version is a lot slicker than the tourmaline/digital version so it glides down the hair shaft faster and easier... some people may prefer this, others may not, it's really just personal taste
- The tourmaline/digital version is easier for novices to use thanks to an easy to understand display and clearly divided wet and dry temperature ranges
- The tourmaline/digital version doesn't close and shut as smoothly as the soy/manual version does, tending to wobble a little, and feels "cheaper" in construction
- I have noticed I have to be more careful with manipulating the placement of the soy/manual version to prevent getting burned by it... it seems to be the difference in designs that causes this
- The soy/manual version will stay at the same setting every time you use it, but can be prone to changing settings in the middle of styling if you don't watch the placement of your hands since the dial is ever so slightly accessible on the sides even with the iron closed shut... the tourmaline/digital version naturally isn't prone to this issue, but forgets its previous setting every time it's shut off so you have to reset it to your favorite setting every time you use it, unless you prefer the default best
- Both versions may burn your hands if you place them too close to the plates due to lack of insulation
- The tourmaline/digital version is a bit more prone to leaving indents in your hair than the soy/manual version is due to design differences, so one must learn to avoid pressing down too hard with it

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by hairproductlover112

Great for the price!
I bought this after my nicer GVP straightener broke and am happy with my purchase because it did the job while I was waiting to buy a nicer one again. This definitely does a good job straightening my very thick hair and curling it too. I am switching to the chi though, because it is better for your hair and probably straightens it faster. But i don't even need to because this one does a good job! So if you want a cheap straightener I would definitely go with this one. DO NOT use it on wet hair, ever. That is horrible for your hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this flat iron!! I have had mine for ten years. Not just this brand and model, the exact same iron. I bought mine at Target for less than $20 on impulse. I figured I would use it a handful of times but I am completely hooked!

I have the widest size they have (I think 3 inches?) and use on dried, mid-back length hair. I have never used on my hair while wet, nor have any desire to so I cannot speak to the accuracy of the product name. It gives a great smooth look without making my hair look too thin or flat. I used a friend's $150+ Chi and I HATED the result!!! It was TOO flat and straight. The Wet 2 Dry smooths out all my kinks without flattening it into oblivion. It is great at putting a slight "bend" in my hair while defrizzing the length of my hair. I love the huge range of temperatures. I don't mind not knowing the temp in degrees; I would honestly rather not know.

My hair is a little on the fine side but I have lots of it and 17 is the perfect temp for me for a super straight look. If I want to leave a little more texture in my hair, I'll use it on 15. To get smooth body, I hold my hair at the top of each section and move the iron gently but quickly down the length or my hair, rather than pulling straight out or down from my scalp. I don't find this iron to be overly damaging; I rarely have breakage or hair left behind after I'm done using it.

The cord length is fine and functions as it should. I stay pretty close to my mirror when using so I don't need a cord that's a mile long. I used my mom's 1 inch wide version of this iron and found it makes nice little bends and lift in my crown and part area. I am afraid when the one I have decides to break down, the newest version of this iron just won't have the same magic. So I am babying this one as best I can for using it every day. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants smoother, straighter hair.

EDIT 11/17/2014: Sadly, I laid my original flat iron to rest this morning, after a traumatic fall on the bathroom floor. Who knows how many more years we could have had, were it not for my careless handling?? Luckily, I had the newest version on reserve for just such an occasion. Though I loved the seasoned and broken-in feel of my original, my new replacement works just as well and glides over my hair to do a great job quickly.

The only minor quibble I have is there is no lock to keep the "blades" of the iron together. The digital temperature has been replaced with a dial, though the temperature seems to be on par with the previous model. I look forward to many wonderful years of drama-free flat ironing!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by ameliajane00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This straightened my hair well but it completely dried it out. If you use the straightener with wet hair it dries it but of you use it on dry hair it strips the hair of it's normal moisture leaving it limp and dead!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJo19

Had one of these when I was in high school and used it daily. It was the skinnier one and it got the job done. My friend had the wider one and I preferred it more. Nothing special about it, but I wouldn't straighten wet hair period. Its very damaging and never have done it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had one of the originals bought at Kmart over 10 years ago for around$15-20. I liked it; It worked well and removed the need for a noisy and time consuming blow out in the morning after showering. Some say it is bad for the hair because it has to boil the water out of it; some say it is good for the hair. Keep the vent holes pointed AWAY from your scalp or you will have a hellacious steam burn. Would I repurchase? Yes, because it was a workhorse and lasted me 10 years. I would not use on damp hair though. I personally had no issues doing my roots with it and liked the color coded heat settings. If it was redesigned so the seams between the iron and the plastic didnt catch hair, it would be perfect. No need for $$$$ blow dryers or irons.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict62

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've had this straightener for about 4-5 years and it is awful. I would advise anyone to not straighten wet hair! Here's the reasons why:

*Whenever I bought this, it was about £50 and that is ridiculous for something that ruins your hair.
*You can't use it near your roots so you end up with dry ends and damp roots which defeats the purpose of the product.
*Pulls and snags at your hair, it doesn't glide smoothly at all.
*Made my hair a frazzled mess.

Overall, an absolutely terrible product! Invest in GHD's and a decent hair dryer.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by T1NA

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am writing about the Remington Wet 2 Straight 2" Flat Iron with Soy Infused Plates (not digital, $25 @ WalMart - DO NOT purchase from Walgreens, it is $10 more: $35!)
link to the flat iron: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-Wet-2-Straight-1-Flat-Iron/21150197

I will endlessly RAVE about this product!
I absolutely love love love it!
It really does what it says:straightens dry, damp, and wet hair.

I never had perfect, sleek, smooth hair because I have thick, heavy, curly hair, and LOTS of it. This straightener really works like it says it does. Within a couple minutes, I went from SOAKING wet hair to straight, sleek, frizz & static free smooth hair, something I never had before! It also does NOT leave your hair smelling burnt or feeling coarse. Instead, as crazy as it may sound, it felt like (though the steam was hissing loud as heck!) the soy-infused plates were nourishing my hair - no joke!

DO NOT freak out that it hisses very loud: it's just the steam escaping through the holes at the top of this flat iron! It sounds like it's going to kill your hair, but it in fact makes it healthier-looking and healthier-feeling somehow! Take this from someone who's had a perm a couple months ago!

Go out there and give this thing a whirl - YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
I certainly hope Remington does not discontinue this flat iron because this is going to be all I'll ever use for life! Who needs a $100 Chi when you can have a little $25 secret weapon? ;)

I also paired this flat iron with Suave's Moroccan Infusions Shine Mask for scent, smoothness, shine, and frizz control. It is only $2.88 @ Wal-Mart (yep, Wal-Mart is where it's at!)
here's a link to the mask: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Professionals-Moroccan-Infusion-Deep-Conditioning-Shine-Mask-8-fl-oz/22359275

While I'm at it, I'll add a couple words about the mask;
-smells great
-adds super shine
-makes hair tons more manageable
-removes frizz
-makes your hair heavenly smooth and soft!
-I own the high-end Moroccanoil Weightless Hydrating Mask, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Professionals-Moroccan-Infusion-Deep-Conditioning-Shine-Mask-8-fl-oz/22359275 , and that thing costs $41 for 8.5 OZ. The Suave is 8 OZ and only $2.88, and really is like the same thing!

Get this flat iron, and this mask, and you will be one happy camper like me ! :)

xoxo