November 28, 2014 | 1683 users online

Scrubs - Liz Earle - Liz Earle - Gentle Face Exfoliator

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 4:30:00 PM More reviews by mellouise

I turned to this after realising my old exfoliator was causing breakouts. It has the same base as c&p, so l guessed it would be fine on my skin. Same smell too. I use a muslin cloth to remove remnants after rinsing. It is gentle, and there's no stripped or tight feeling afterwards. It's not the most effective l've ever used, but l will repurchase as it helps keep my skin clear. I use it once a week.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I like this exfoliator. It is not heavy duty so not harsh in any way but it is effective for mild exfoliation and pleasant to use. It's like Cleanse and Polish with beads. Some people will find it a bit too rich though. I've just upped my rating on this as I found it removed some seasonal (winter) flaky skin that had appeared on two areas of my face in just one go with no redness. I think it's Liz Earle's best product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 2:31:00 PM More reviews by kekecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

As other reviewers have said, I didn't find it that exfoliating BUT I feel the muslin cloth with the Cleanse & Polish does enough without requiring this product as well. It does smell lovely though and was great on my sensitive skin. The beads in it are large but bear in mind that any products that have jagged particles will create microscopic tears on the top layer of your skin.

I love this range and have tried most things in it, but I just didn't feel this was for me. I think if you want something gentle and you don't use a hot cloth cleanser then it might be worth a try.

A cheaper alternative when I need a good scrub is Sodium Bicarb (used very gently mind) but I rarely need it now.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by Monikar2

Not a bad product however I do believe it is too gentle for my liking...I use exfoliators like st ives so this is a big change.
It doesn't leave my skin feeling dry which harsher exfoliators can do which I really like about it.
A good product for someone who doesn't wants something harsh.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by LauraMichelle1515

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I got a sample tube of this in a swap. Lovely scrub but a little too gentle for me i prefer LUSH's Ocean Salt which is a bit more effoliating.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2009 3:43:00 PM More reviews by KirstenMarie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I recieved this as a freebie for buying a seasonal "cleanse and polish" kit. I love the full size freebies you get by doing that, even though it means I still end up buying more toner (I run out of it first.) I don't know if I would have bought this for itself, but when my skin is a bit dull and needs some help, this does the job wonderfully. It's not harsh like other exfoliants. You don't feel like you're rubbing sand all over your face, but rather like there are tiny beads at work. Good product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2009 7:32:00 PM More reviews by bellaspots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Charmed by the range, natural beauties will be less than charmed by the finish since not even the botanical ingredients can save this forgettable product. Next.

Okay, why the neutrality, you ask? Well, I concede 'tis as gentle as its namesake (so important), also thankfully non-fussy or messy (so important), rather refreshing (that's the eucalyptus, a nice touch) and quite economical (70ml, 11.75, somewhat important). But, alas, can an exoliator be too gentle? Yes, that's exactly what I found myself wondering. So, short of using nothing, Gentle Face Exfoliator is just that, gentle as a whisper on the skin.

Better suited to your pubescent teen who oughtn't use those nasty cheap scrubs, or normal-skinned beauties with healthy shedding (or in science-speak, cell-renewal) who require the bare minimum of exfoliation, for average skins like mine with a healthy dose of annoying problems (sebum, blackheads, fine lines, etc.) there's much, much better for your spend. Luckily, it was a free gift with my usual online order (they're always so generous), so no loss.

When it finally came to that rare evening high-lighted as 'Facial Night' in the filofax, that is, leisurely cleansing, toning, exfoliation, steam, extraction (tsk tsk, naughty me!) and 'masking' (or whatever order that's now in fashion), I was sorely disappointed (but my skin was far from sore). With a sudden urge to exfoliate - okay, I admit, I got lazy - the horrors from years bygone (harsh Aapri scrub, anyone?) rose in my mind like high-tide, so you can understand my delight in receiving this botanical alternative. This is all but an antidote to powerful microdermabrasion, that dangerous skin-enemy should you spend cheaply.

Nonetheless, made entirely of jojoba beads in a base of beeswax, cocoa butter and almond milk, this recipe reads scrumptious and gentle but scrubs poor. Although the spherical, non-scratchy beads give slight friction to the skin, it's a dissatisfying piecemeal scrub (that's simply corrected by using more, and more, and some more - you get the idea.)

So if you like your scrubbing hard and mean (perish the thought), this is, like so many B-list-and-lower celebs, entirely forgettable. Pass. The range has enough hero products for this non-star to make a dent to its shiny reputation, so stick with her muslins and Hot Polish Cleanser if you're not already, at least that has some discernible effect. Verily disheartening, a genteel poser in the world of scrubs for Liz Earle fans.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by duchy13

Product was very gentle and did not leave my skin feeling too dry. The exfoliatoin beads are too big to make much of an impact on the skin. I have certainly used much more effective exfoliators for a fraction of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2009 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Drumstick

My favourite exfoliator is Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant, however sometimes I want the quick results that a scrub gives. I got a trial size of this when I purchased Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish and I have to say it is now my scrub of choice. It's lovely and gentle, leaves my skin looking and feeling smooth and is also a decent price. I've still got a few more goes left in the trial size tube I received, but will definitely consider purchasing it on my next visit to the Liz Earle website.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 12:08:00 PM More reviews by cjramos79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is a very good product. scrubs your face and moisturizes at the same time. it works well to my asian skin.
i have oily skin and i think this works to me well.