November 26, 2014 | 1791 users online

Fragrances - Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab - Dance of Death

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 9:24:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like it!

Scent descritption reads as follows: " Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh"

Wet on the skin: First impressions, this is slightly bitter, like a dark chocolate mixed baby powder scent.

After about 10 minutes, then comes a bite of pepper (maybe cumin?). As it wears, the only word that I can use to describe it is DRY. Brittle. It is powdery, but in a way that makes you imagine something crumbling to dust/powder.

This lasts all day on me. I swear this smells like a perfume my grandma used to wear and I'm totally down with that. It's smoky/powdery like Habanita and also reminds me a bit of Rochas' Femme, especially with that pepper bite it has these days.

Does it smell like I thought it would or should? No, not really but there is something very feminine about this that suprised me. Interesting...I will probably repurchase this, even if only in a imp (small sample vial) to enjoy occasionally.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2007 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Vulnavia

I bought this and Danse Macabre (see my other review for that one) because I've done lots of reading and research on the Black Death and Danse Macabre legends, and was (morbidly) curious to see what Beth thought the olfactory representation of corpses doing a jig at midnight would smell like. I knew going into this that I probably wouldn't be able to wear these - hence imps - but even with that caveat, Dance of Death was a big disappointment. As the previous reviewer mentioned, sweet Lord but there's a lot of baby powder in it, along with heavier, duller notes that I can't quite put a finger on. It smells, frankly, rank, like baby powder used to clean a poopy baby who hasn't quite been cleaned up all the way. A waste of money to satisfy my curiosity, and one of the nails in the coffin for my BPAL affection. They take forever to ship, raise prices for no real reason, lack any good customer service, make my skin go out in a rash, and I have yet to find a scent that I'm either a) head over heels crazy about and can wear without getting a rash or b) that I like a great deal but which will last longer than about an hour on me. And if Beth can't even get a joke scent - which this sort of is - correct, it doesn't exactly inspire one's confidence in her abilities to make a real wower. A mess; doesn't even really match the concept.