Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Cleanser

3.8

Water, PPG 15 Stearyl Ether, Glycerin, Oxidized Polyethylene, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Betaine, Salicylic Acid (Beta-Hydroxy), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Alcohol, Steareth 21, Sodium Chloride, Behenyl Alcohol, PPG 30, Steareth 2, Sodium Glycolate, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Carnosine (Amino-Peptide), Disodium EDTA, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Fragrance, Iron Oxides 5/30/09

on 8/3/2015 6:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Even though I have super oily acne-prone skin, I thought I'd start using skin products that were more geared towards my actual age rather than my age my skin feels. Not a good idea. Every time I use this, my face feels like I have a film of moisturizer on it, which is exactly what I do not want, being that my skin is so oily. Besides that, I began breaking out in tiny white heads all over my chin, jawline, then cheeks and now forehead (an area where I never break out). This is just not getting my face clean. This face wash might be good for an older woman or someone with dry skin.

on 7/14/2015 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Brace yourself – this is going to be a bit of a read because I want to be as specific as possible. I wanted to like this, I really, really did.

Quick backstory before the bulk of the review – I have sensitive combination skin, and I've been struggling with cystic acne, huge pores, and blackheads since my teens. In recent years it's been much better since I made it a point of switching to only facial products that use only natural ingredients and that are as non-chemical / gentle as possible, and I have since learnt that I generally only get cystic acne when I deviate from that rule.

This review isn't based on just one breakout. I've used this three times (each time for as long as I could endure) over a period of two years. Back in 2013, my mother had gotten me this to try after I'd told her that my face was always uncomfortably dry after washing it (which made my face secrete even more oil, leading to even more pimples). The first time I used it, I broke out immediately with fresh cystic nodules, but at the time I didn't think much of it because I'd chalked it up to my skin generally being problematic and a tantrum-throwing bish in general. I kept going with it for about a month because I did notice my face wasn't as dry after using it, and it had a pleasant sort of smoothness to it after each wash. However, the nodules weren't going away, so I eventually decided to try something else out of desperation (the oil cleansing method, which happened to work wonderfully for me).

The second time was a couple of months later. I ran out of my oil blend, and had to wait for about a week before I could replenish my supply. So I went back to using this, thinking it wouldn't hurt if it was just for a week or so. By then, my skin had already cleared up tons, and while I had little pimples here and there and the usual large pores / blackheads, there weren't any cystic nodules, which was a bloody achievement. But within a week of using this (twice daily), I found three fresh hard, hot, painful lumps on my cheeks. Anybody who's ever had cystic acne will understand me when I say my heart sank when I found those three buggers. They hurt, they're huge, they last forever, and they don't come to a head unless you deliberately irritate / pick at them. I stopped right away, and switched to just using hot water to wash my face instead. My skin got better right away, and it got even better once I started oil cleansing again, but the nodules didn't go away for two months.

Fast forward to the present, and a year later – I only do oil cleansing once a week now, and I use raw organic honey for my facewash. I've been happily enjoying not having ANY pimples at all for the last TWELVE months or so, save for one or two spots that would show up each month during that time of the month but go away on their own in a day. Recently I ran out of the honey, and none of the supermarkets I went to carried the kind of honey I needed. My mother's been complaining a lot about how she'd bought me so many tubes of this and wasted her effort because I never finished using them, so I decided to crack open a new one in the meantime while I continued the quest for my honey. Note that I said it's a new tube, so there's no way it could have been expired or anything like that.

This will sound a tad dramatic, but I will *never* use this again. This time, I developed three fresh cystic nodules within TWO days. That's just FOUR uses. My regular routine took me a month to settle into before I saw any results. Four uses, wiping out the efforts of the last YEAR, and gifting me with three nodules that will most likely last a month at the least. I'm also dead sure that this is the culprit, because each time I'd been faithfully following my routine for months with great results, and the only thing that changed each time was me caving in to one reason or another and using this again.

Why do I think I've been breaking out? I have a feeling it's thanks to the ingredient list. It's got perfume in it, as well as six types of alcohol (which is worrying because it dries skin out), and a bunch of other things with long chemical names that are a bit of a mouthful. To me that sounds like bad news. BUT that might just be my preference for natural ingredients speaking, because my skin is very, very sensitive, and prone to throwing intense hissy fits in the presence of non-natural ingredients. That's why I've given this two out of five instead of just one – I do agree that it might just be me. To be fair, it doesn't leave your face feeling ridiculously dry after washing (which is surprising considering how many kinds of alcohol it has in it), which might be good for staving off excess oil production. The scent itself is all right, and I like the idea that it has beads that exfoliate for a deeper clean / moisturisation. Also, I can see how this would be great for people whose skin is low maintenance and doesn't freak out the minute you look at it funny, because it doesn't break the bank and seems to do an okay job in general. And just to balance the negativity out a little – my mother is in her sixties and she loves using this in conjunction with her other Olay products. She says it's a fuss-free product. (To be fair though, she's got exactly the sort of skintype I just described. She's never had a problem with acne in her life, and her skin isn't sensitive or needy in the slightest.)

TL;DR – steer clear if you have sensitive skin that's prone to flareups. Give this a go if you've got skin that only needs the bare minimum in terms of maintenance, or if you're broke and you've got balls (or skin) of steel.

on 3/1/2015 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It made my face smoother and look brighter after a few weeks. I even got compliments on my skin.It's almost fragrance free which is a plus. I like the way it made my face feel, but didn't look much different after a while. I will keep using it since it works better than other cleansers.
Pros: Smooths and brightens
Almost fragrance free smell
Does not dry out skin
Use to maintain bright skin

Cons: No change in pore size

on 2/22/2015 6:17:00 PM

I've used about half a tube of this, off and on since I keep this product at my mom's and use it only when I'm visiting. I have dehydrated combo-oily skin depending on the season that's quite sensitive and acne-prone.

It's a creamy white cleanser with small orange/red beads for exfoliating. I don't personally like the beads since they don't exfoliate very well (small amount of beads scattered in a rich base) and they're scratchier than I'd like, but this is a nice cleanser that isn't drying which I appreciate during the colder months. It's not a lathering type of cleanser, but it cleans my skin well enough to prep me for the next steps in my skincare. It leaves my face feeling softer and smoother compared to many other cleansers I've used; this is one of the nicer cream-type cleansers I've tried for my skin. Note that it's NOT for removing makeup nor does it claim to.

It has a bit of an "Olay" fragrance (cosmetic-cleanser type of smell, hard to explain) that is fairly light, but just be aware. The packaging is in a tube, with a small hole that makes it easy to control how much you want to dispense. I personally might not repurchase, only because I feel this is better suited for drier skin types compared to my combo-oily skin. I'm still happy to continue using this when it's colder out, and might repurchase it if I don't find anything better. I'd certainly recommend this for drier skin-types in need for a bit of exfoliation (via beads and salicylic acid). It's a solid cleanser if you want something that doesn't dry you out, just not one that I see myself hastily repurchasing.

As others have said, it does scratch a bit. The cleanser does spread evenly. Rinses well. Like that it comes in a tube. Would like the option of a pump. Over priced for the quality.

on 2/9/2015 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I love this cleanser. My dry and acne prone skin loves this stuff. I was using the noxzema cleanser for acne but it made my skin flaky and dry so once I used this randomly and felt an amazing skin afterwards. I already got another tube of this even though I still have a lot of left. This is the best product for dry skin.

on 1/7/2015 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I hate the fact this product doesn't get the credit it deserves THIS ISNT FOR MAKEUP REMOVAL so stop rating it as such. This does exactly what it's suppose to do Regenerate your cells keeping rough patches n dark marks off your face. We all should have a simple foaming face wash to rinse away a full face of makeup this product works my skin sucks n I have to work over time to keep pimples away n when I do get them I scar but this keeps new cells turning over all the time so new skin is consistently being brought to the surface! I got this at Walmart for 5.97 anywhere else your paying almost $9

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I started using this to use it up after my mom bought a two-pack of these at a club store, and I realized the more I used it consistently, the better my skin looked and felt. Of course I had this by the sink so I was using it upon waking up, and I was using my regular skincare regimen as well, but I guess recently I haven't had a good cleanser setting by the sink, because once I put this one there and started using it, I washed my face consistently instead of skipping sometimes in the morning, and my skin seems to love this cleanser. I've already repurchased it.

It has a nice scent, and I like that it doesn't have parabens in it, and it isn't harsh, but cleanses really well, especially for in the mornings!

on 2/24/2014 3:35:00 AM

I couldnt find l'oreals youth code foam cleanser anywhere so I ended up buying this. I was a little worried since I have acne-prone skin but from the first wash I was hooked! I LOVE how soft and smooth my face felt (plus my hands afterwards haha). for the first week or two I was getting small pimples. I guess my skin was just adjusting or something but those went away. the smell.. is not something I particularly like but it's not like I'll be smelling my face all day so I can live with it. most face washes will dry out my skin afterwards, but this one didnt. I usually pair it with a moisturizer, but I tried it without for a while and it did not dry my skin. I hate that it doesnt get rid of all my makeup like youth code did, especially with eye makeup. asides from that I love this!

on 1/11/2014 3:08:00 PM

Nice cleanser, I remove my eye makeup first then wash my face, it leaves my skin clean with no residue. I would think this cleanser would be good for normal to dry skin and its not abrasive.