August 1, 2014 | 1588 users online

Treatments - Nailtiques - Cuticle and Skin Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2008 11:56:00 AM More reviews by ceeRennycee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently got this gel as part of a Nailtiques Formula 2 kit that also includes a nail strengthening basecoat (Formula 2) and a cuticle oil. My cuticles are horribly dry and even a generous slathering of oil at night and my usual Burtís Bees throughout the day hasnít been helping. So I have been on the hunt for something I can use during the day to keep my cuticles moisturized without being too oily or greasy. Preferably something that will soak in and actually work. (Iíve tried a few products that sink in but did zippo to moisturize.) Iíve only been using the kit for 2 days but so far I really like it and have had good results. Itís a little early to tell what the long-term benefits will be but I have the feeling this will work well.

The jar of cuticle and skin gel is pretty small but just the teensiest amount is needed for each finger so it will last for quite some time. I put it on the skin around each nail and rub it in. By the time I get to my last finger the product has soaked in to the other 9 nails and my skin feels softer and is noticeably hydrated. I did notice something the other reviewer mentioned, which is if you get the gel in the corners it just kind of sits there and doesnít go anywhere. I found that a little odd (shouldnít it soak in?) but I either scrape it out or avoid putting it on my nails altogether. I also have this issue with Burt's Bees so maybe there's just something with the corners of my nails that won't allow product to soak in. Weird. Anyway, since I wear polish every day I havenít had a chance to test it on my actual nails, but the insert says this will get rid of white spots and hydrate the nails as well.

The other benefit Iíve noticed is that it seems to help hangnails heal. I cut a hangnail down the other day but I clipped it a little to close to my finger and it was really sore. It bled a little and was sensitive and a little painful. After washing my hands and making sure the area wasnít still bleeding I put the gel on and rubbed it in. Within a few minutes the pain was almost gone and now a day later the cut isnít even there anymore. Amazing! Hopefully if I am vigilant about putting this on daily my skin wonít be dry enough to get hangnails, but even if I do this stuff is great at healing them. Iíve heard that glycerin is somewhat of a miracle product so maybe the fact that glycerin is one of the main ingredients has something to do with that. Whatever it is, Iím a happy camper and am keeping my healthy-looking fingers crossed that this will be the product Iíve been looking for.

Iím only rating this a 4 because at $18 for all three it was pretty expensive. But as I said, you really donít need to use much of the gel so I can see it lasting a really long time. Iím sure Iíll run out of the Formula 2 and cuticle oil before I even come close to making a dent in this. And if it works for what I need it for the price is worth it. If it continues to have the results Iíve seen in the last 2 days I will definitely repurchase. I might check to see if the company offers the gel by itself because I have enough of the other products to last me the rest of my natural life so I really only need the gel. Since itís only been 2 days, Iíll come back and update if my results change, but for now Iím sold.

Update: After using this for a few weeks now, Iím keeping my rating at a good solid 4. There were several days where I was not able to paint my nails so while they were bare I took advantage and tried this gel on my nails as well as my cuticles. This hydrates really well and it seems to be helping my nails overall. The tips are whiter and I havenít had any hangnails since Iíve started using it. I really like using it at night before bed and I try to use a little more than I do during the day because it has a chance to stay on my hands for much longer without being washed off like it is during the day. I wake up the next morning to completely hydrated nails and cuticles that are noticeably soft. One of the issues I have with other cuticle products Iíve tried is that they work well when Iím wearing them but as soon as I wash my hands the product disappears and my cuticles are back to being parched and ugly. I donít seem to have that issue with this gel. They still stay pretty hydrated even after washing, so I think this stuff has really sunk in and taken care of the problem. I forgot my jar at home one day and had to substitute my BB because I had a jar at my desk, but I think I like the Nailtiques so much better. So now I can say I will recommend it and it will be a definite repurchase when I run out. Who knowsÖmaybe after a few months Iíll up the rating to a 5!

Another update: (4/21) I first purchased and used this a little over 2 months ago. My jar is getting pretty empty but there's still enough left for about 2 or 3 weeks. I can easily and without hesitation say that this is my HG cuticle product. Before I go order a replacement jar I'm going to up my rating to a 5.

One final update: I finally used the last of my 1st jar yesterday. It lasted me a full 3 months. I'm glad I was able to find more jars, because this is the best stuff out there and I don't want to be without it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2005 7:11:00 PM More reviews by meltywarhol

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been searching for a miracle for my dry, crusty cuticles, and well, this is not miraculous. It's not particularly good; it's merely ok. This moisturizing gel has a light consistency, a lot like philosophy's hope in a jar, but not quite as slippery. It just takes a wee bit to massage into the cuticles, so the one ounce jar is a generous size. I haven't seen any real results from it, and it doesn't even feel moisturizing. I like something that leaves my hands feeling a little "coated," if that makes sense, mostly because I can't stand to sleep in those gloves, and thick hand cream is the next best thing. I also noticed that one night when I was particularly sleepy and didn't rub it in completely, the next day there was still a little white wedge of cuticle cream between my skin and nail. I would have expected it to absorb into my skin, or rub off, or do something, so that was weird. I would recommend Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle cream instead.