September 16, 2014 | 2086 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Cuir Beluga

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2014 10:09:00 AM More reviews by marymary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has a nice amber opening with the promise of leather. After than, it reminds me of ... coconut. £165 is a lot of money for a coconut fragrance. It's stong and longlasting though.
If you'll happily spend that much money and you're looking for soft, rich leather, try Armani cuir amethyste or SL cuir mauresque.

I don't understand why this style of fragrance is so spendy. The leather smell is from a synthetic molecule (nothing against synthetics but it's not as costly as extracting natural essences).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by TaniaRides

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Much like Jicky and most of the Guerlains I've tried, this smells great on a paper test strip and off and a bit rancid on my skin. Cuir Beluga is really faint on me, having almost no throw and only lasting about an hour. It leaves a baby powdery amber and an intensely salty, sweaty smell on my skin. I can't pick out the leather, vanilla or anything but the intensely powdery amber and something dirty. It actually smells really gross on me, but at least it's a light scent...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by monstercat

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

How many ways can I say I love you? What a fabulous scent. It starts out with vanilla and sharp citrus which dry down into a soft powdery smell combined with a very soft suede scent-very expensive suede. It does not have a very strong leathery odor. The sillage and longevity are not as good as I would like but it is one of those perfumes that I keep opening just to smell. Unfortunately it is pricey and does not come in a smaller size as far as I can tell and is rarely discounted.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Stonie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my word - this is a stunning scent!
It was literally love at first sniff for me and I haven't looked back since.
Complete strangers compliment me on this and the kids at the school, where I teach, love it too.
Soft, suede/vanilla/heliotrope heaven with that touch of immortelle that rises it into another league. A true masterpiece by the house of Guerlain.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2011 10:06:00 AM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought a sample of this from The Posh Peasant and hoped like heck I would like it. I so want to have a "leather" scent in my wardrobe. The biggest problems as I could see it were threefold. First, I have never found a leather that wasn't to harsh or plasticy smelling, next I thought I didn't like vanilla. It's usually to sweet and in my opinion way over used in frags now. Lastly, I haven't found a Guerlain that worked with my chemistry. So it was with much trepidation that I opened the vial and sniffed it.

On me it opens with quite a bit of the sweet vanilla I'm not so in love with and a bit of tangy citrus which I do quite like, but that fades on me quite quickly and allows the suede and florals to come forward. I'm one of the lucky ones with this frag it seems, because it does develope and I can smell the heliotrope and immortelle flowers. The suede accord, on me anyway, is there from opening to end. It stays quietly in the backround never overwhelming or synthetic, but adding depth and interest to the perfume. The amber nicely rounds out the sweet vanilla so it turns into a soft and sexy fragrance that is spicy and feminine. Very alluring and great for cold weather or those little black dress evenings. It makes me think of cashmere, suede and silk, sensual and sexy, a fragrance you can actually feel as well as smell...

Sillage is great in my opinion. I can and have worn this to the office and not one of my patients or co-workers have complained about it. I only dab on pulse points though, I don't spray it on. This is a scent that I can enjoy without feeling like I'm fumigating the room with my perfume. Lasting power is quite good a solid 6-8 hours on my skin, but it does linger on clothes for days if it gets on them.
Cuir Beluga is a different suede perfume, one who dares to be soft not brash.
EDIT 8/2012: I have found that this can turn kind of Play-Doh scent like on me. I'm not sure I love, love, love it. But when it works with my chemistry it is a beautiful addition to have.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 3:04:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: mandarin, immortelle flower, leather, amber, heliotrope and vanilla.

This fragrance opens with aromas of vanilla, patchouli and leather. The notes blend into an unusual accord: a sweet, slightly salty, chocolate leather accord. I do not know if it is just my imagination but the saltiness reminds me of brine. The vanilla and patchouli notes balance this interesting facet which otherwise could have been rather off-putting. The fragrance is smooth and sophisticated and makes me think of an exotic milk chocolate bar made with goatís or lamaís milk. If I had to name a scent sibling for this Guerlain offering Iíd chose Odoriís Iris. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Never have I fallen in love so quickly and completely with the scent. OK not much leather at all but who cares. Lovely soft insistent amber overlaid with a dark sexy vanilla. This scent makes me feel warm comforted and rich. Pity it is so hard to get hold of

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Apart from the somewhat idiotically Francofied name, that totally doesn't fit the scent at all, and which when pronounced, I feel as if I'm referring to a gay whale, I don't really like the scent either. There is no "cuir" in here at all.... it sort of seems like an annoying joke on the part of the noses. Like haha, cuir. Yeah. Beluga. hahahah lmao. That will rake in the bourgeoise dollar. Well, I'm not laughing.
This smell-- kind of gets on my nerves. As if I'm wearing some SUPER sweet, suffocating, baking concoction... it's like, come on, man.... what is this, a cheesecake???

I smell sour cream, cream cheese, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, some heavy cream, some eggs, tons of sugar.... it's grating like I'm just biting into a bunch of sugar cubes with my teeth. I know 'Guerlain,' oh radiant, resplendent, is supposed to be all that, but the house never fails to disappoint me these days. It just seems like so much edging, like a baroque piece of jewelry, so much gold layered upon itself, which detracts from the actual substance. What substance, again, may I ask? You mean all this gold stuff here and there? Ah, oui, tojours magnifique...

Yes, I see your designer name. To me, your Queer Whale smells like a liquid wedding cheesecake. I would prefer to be actually baking some and get the raw ingredients all over me than wear this.

In fact, I'm going to scrub this off now, I'm feeling nauseous. Ugh, well, it's certainly a Whale of a scent. A sugary, buttery, heavily creamed whale. LOL yuck.
Like a giant gay whale jumped into a ginormous tub of cheesecake batter and creamed himself. Does that make you want it? hahahah OK I'm done.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2010 8:43:00 PM More reviews by whitecountess

GORGEOUS!
Guerlain is one of the masters, but I wasn't sure if the new fragrances would be up to par with the older classics. I needn't have worried.
This scent was another stand-out for me in London, not just because the young man selling it was stunningly beautiful and wearing it himself. They were literally selling themselves out of this fragrance as I stood there.
Cuir Beluga is hard to come by, but it's worth it.
Unlike other fragrances that I've given 5 lipsticks to, because of their originality, I'm giving Cuir Beluga 5 for its wearability.
It smells incredible when you spray it on, and turns into something exquisite and sensual on the drydown.
I love Cuir de Russie from Chanel, but I find it hard to wear it day after day, hour after hour.
This is a scent that you will love to smell on yourself, as others are enjoying it on you.
People may fall in love with you with this on, be careful!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 6:45:00 AM More reviews by shaktigal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Vanilla sugar that is used for bakery, combined with amber. Although I do love the vanilla in this perfume, amber sadly is usually not good on me. It always turns into this fish-oil smell and fish-oil smell is definitely not a favourite note for me. I have therefore to decline on this one.