August 22, 2014 | 2047 users online

Toners - C.O. Bigelow - Cucumber Skin Tonic

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 5:34:00 PM More reviews by lindawhite

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this toner. I recently discovered the C.O. Bigelow line and have been amazed at their reasonable pricing for such good quality products. I love the cucumber smell of this toner - it is so refreshing. I have combination skin, however I use a cleanser that has salicylic acid to prevent acne and thus my skin gets very dry after the wash. This toner really soften the skin after the wash and preps well for the moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2009 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Chubz

i went to a Bath and Body Works outlet where the products turned out to be discounted like crazy. i stumbled upon the tiny little travel sized bottles of these... 3 c.o. bigelow products for $5. yay! i used this after washing my face. the formula has the consistency of gel. it smells like fresh cucumber. works great on my skin, especially in the windy and cold winter time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2009 7:42:00 AM More reviews by samy12586

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I use this after cleaning my face. I have slightly dry/normal skin with minimal breakouts and this works wonders. I used to use the rosewater one but found it a bit drying and this makes me feel hydrated with a faint cucumber smell. Definitely buying this again and again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2009 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Beckedun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to work at Bath & Body Works (C.O.Bigelow is a BBW line) and we were allowed to 'drab' samples, meaning bring home a small amount of a product (from the sample bottle) in a small container to try at home. This was supposed to help us give personal testimonies to customers about the products they asked about, but I took a bit of advantage of this and 'borrowed' quite a bit of the C.O.Bigelow products for my dry skin. I remembered liking this product because it was natural and not drying, but it wasn't until I received a couple new bottles for Christmas that I decided to review this.

I have just recently started taking better care of my face with a three-step skin regimen (cleanse, tone, moisturize) twice daily, but toners usually dry out my skin. This toner doesn't dry my skin because it does not contain alcohol, but this is unlike any other toner I have ever used in other ways as well. First of all, the consistency is very thick--sort of like a thin gel-- and it sits on top of a cotton pad rather than absorbing into it, though I usually pat it into the cotton pad to help it along. It definitely has a mild cucumber fragrance to it which is actually kind of soothing, but might bother some users. What I really love about this product is how refreshing and cooling it feels on the skin. I have never used it with a sunburn, but I imagine it might feel really nice on an overly sun-kissed face! Unlike other toners which contain alcohol and almost evaporate right off of the skin, this toner does not disappear immediately after application, but I find that rather than sitting on the skin or evaporating, it kind of absorbs in and leaves my skin feeling really soft, smooth and moisturized. I have noticed a subtle difference in pore size, which is nice, but otherwise have not had any drastic results other than my skin just feeling very refreshed and smooth after use. The main reason I use a toner is to seal my pores before applying moisturizer to avoid clogged pores and/or breakouts, and so far this is doing a pretty good job. The only complaint I have is that these run something like $15 a bottle, which I know for a fact is a ridiculous mark up as it probably costs more like 15 CENTS to make the stuff, but it lasts a long time and I received it as a gift, so I don't have much room to complain. If you have dry skin and are looking for a good, non-irritating or a hydrating toner, give this a try. People with oilier skin might find better results with C.O.Bigelow's rose water, as this might feel a bit heavy to someone who is prone to breakouts, though I doubt it would cause any additional breakouts. Hope this was helpful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2008 5:37:00 PM More reviews by anabolina

I picked a huge 16 oz bottle of this up from the B&BW Outlet for $6 and it was seriously an awesome buy because this makes my pores so much smaller.

My skin is acne prone with an oily t-zone by the middle of the day and huge pores. This hasn't made me break out (the sort of gel-like consistency made me worry about that) and has a really fresh and cucumbery scent. It's not sweet like a perfume though (I'm not fond of sweet scents, so that's good for me). So I wondered if the first day was a fluke, but no, my pores are noticably smaller after I use this and have been for the past week. I like that it doesn't irritate my skin or anything. I think I would actually buy this for full price and it may be HG. Time will tell. I'm going back on retin-a today (bought some cheap from ADC), so I reckon this will still work since it doesn't dry me out. Anyway, give it a shot if you have large pores.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2008 11:30:00 PM More reviews by Mere828

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wish I could give this 3 and 1/2 lippies, because it's not quite a 4, but better than a 3. I'm used to using C.O. Bigelow's Rose Water Skin Tonic on my normal skin type, which works well. For some reason I decided to try this in addition to my other tonic to use as an alternative so it doesn't dry out my skin because it's alcohol-free. It works very well, I just didn't care for the consistency of the product. It's not so much a liquid as it is a very watery gel. The fragrance of it may turn some people off - it smells basically like salad or cucumbers, but I like it. (I like to use it after other plant or fruit-scented cleansers.) I think this would work best for people with dry or borderline dry but mostly normal skin types.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2008 2:03:00 AM More reviews by nemesis41

This toner has a fresh cucumber scent, and is really soft and soothing on my dry skin. It refreshes without stripping, and when I first put it on, it feels more like moisturizer than toner. It's quickly becoming my staple toner in the winter. I suspect it will be a bit much for summer, but during the winter it's fantastic. My one complaint is that the thick texture of the toner feels kind of gross and slimy when I put it on. Don't get me wrong, it works really well, but when I first put it on, I always get that first moment of 'eeeewww.'

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2006 12:08:00 PM More reviews by sabong

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was skeptical about the thick consistency of the toner, but I got used to it. It removes residue without making my skin feel tight and itchy. In the past, I had to moisturize my skin after cleansing and using toner, but its no longer necessary now that I use this toner with the Moisture Rich Facial Cleanser. I balked at the thought of paying $15.00 for an 8 oz. bottle, but it was worth it, and it looks like the product will last awhile. I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2006 5:12:00 PM More reviews by spfxchic

I have ***extremely*** dry skin. No over-exaggeration. The flakes I had in the wintertime started off feeling like scales. I know, absolutely gross. I stumbled upon this line at my local B&BW. I started with a trial kit that included the Incredibly Moisturizing Face Cream, the Cucumber Toner & the Moisturizing Facial Cleanser. This toner works wonders for me (in conjunction with the other two items listed). The packaging is to-the-point. It doesn't dry my skin out or give me break-outs, and even helps calm the redness a tiny bit. The product is goopy/runny when applied to the cotton ball, but smooths over skin nicely. The smell of the toner is much better the the smell of the cleanser. I've already purchased a large bottle of this to use once my trial size runs out. I'll be sticking with this regimen all year, as long as it continues to work well. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2006 12:09:00 AM More reviews by sriddle78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This tonic has a really thick texture (almost goo-like). When I first put it on, I liked the hydrated feeling. Then it happened: the burning, the redness, the itching. It didn't agree with me. It left my skin feeling tight, dry, and irritated...almost raw. I was surprised at this because it says it's for dry skin. Well, apparently not my dry skin!! I had heard great things about Bigelow skin care, and I was really surprised only one of four products I tried actually worked for me (I tried the cucumber cleanser, cucumber tonic, rose wonder cream, and the intense moisture cream--not sure of the name, but it's the moisturizer for really dry skin). The only product that didn't irritate my skin was the cucumber cleanser. Very disappointed.