Trilogy Rosehip Oil

4.3

Certified organic rosehip oil (New Zealand)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a recent convert to reship oil. I have finally managed to track down the Trilogy version of it and I am currently finishing off my first 20 ml bottle.

It moisturises my winter dehydrated skin extremely well, much better than moisturisers full of chemicals three times its price (I've paid moderate £16.50 in John Lewis and I've been enjoying it not so sparingly for more than 2 months now, rotating with Clinique Turnaround face oil that I need to use up and my La Roche Posay's Dermic R which has wrinkle fighting retinaldehyde, a milder form or retinol).

I am not very happy about the pipette applicator, honestly beauty industry, could you please finally wake up to the invention of a PUMP?! At least the oil is hosted in a very dark glass, opaque bottle and contains only pure rosehip oil. There is also it's antioxidant version which is a mix of other oils but I was not interested in this one and I'm glad I did not purchase it, judging by the poor reviews of the antioxidant version here.

I cannot agree with the previous review that the Trilogy version is pale in colour - my one was dark amber orange colour and had a fresh, earthy fragrance, quite pleasant and not lingering on the skin. The Sukin's version in next on my list so I will be able to compare as soon as I finish this bottle but at the moment I am very happy with the Trilogy's version.

It sinks in my parched skin straight away, makes it supple and not greasy at all (hello Clarins Blue Orchid oil!), which really surprised me, it does not sit on the skin, goes right in. I apply it directly after washing my face with a face oil (Clinique's Take the Day Off washed off with a wash cloth and a spray of Avene's thermal water) on a still delicately moist skin with a pressing motion. I think I must be using 3-4 drops for my face and 4-5 on my neck and decoletee area. So far it did not stain my bedsheets so all is good.

I love it for what it does to my skin (I had a fresh scar after the once-a-year mega breakout on my cheek and it is fading very fast but but might be a combined effect with Redermic R too) and it became an essential part of my evening routine.

This is an ok Rose Hip oil, but it's nothing special in my opinion. I didn't feel like this was very easily absorbed and I didn't really notice any difference in my skin after using it for some time. It also does not work under makeup. My makeup would look so oily and just slide right off, which I believe is due to the fact that it didn't absorb well into my skin.

I have been using Kosmea Rose Hip and Trilogy just does not compare! Kosmea absorbs easily and I have noticed some nice changes in my skin since using it. I don't break out as much, my skin tone is more even, and my skin is so much less oily. I even use it under makeup and it makes my skin look glowy without making it oily at all!

I have heard that when looking for a quality Rose Hip oil, you should look for a deep orange colour as it means it's of a higher quality. I have compared the two and Kosmea is a deep, carrot colour whereas Trilogy is noticeable lighter.

I have also tried Sukin Rose Hip Oil and I liked that better than Trilogy too in terms of the consistency and way it absorbed, however I didn't use it long enough to compare results properly.

I would not recommend this Rose Hip oil, since Kosmea yields superior results for me. Perhaps Trilogy works better for very dry skin, but for my oily, acne prone skin, it was disappointing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the best skincare product I've ever used. It is an excellent product that sinks in immediately, fully moisturizes and seems to help to repair skin and reduce fine lines. I use the organic version since that's what's most easily available to me. I did try a different brand (I think Kosmea) which was more orange and didn't seem as miraculous. I've tried some other oil serums and although they're mostly all pretty good, this really is the queen.

This is my holy grail!

I have used this for years to help heal acne scarring and sensitive skin. I apply as soon as I get out the shower- I press this in to damp face then when it soaks in pop my moisturiser on. My skin always feel so soothed and I wake up with beautiful hydrated skin.

I received the Kosmea Rosehip oil before so I tried it and found it so heavy and a thicker oil- it broke me out and didn't absorb. I went back to Trilogy. I don't intend on switching anytime soon- it absorbs very easy and I feel like my skin can still breathe.

My new obsession is mixing this with foundation- I think sheers it out and gives a great finish!! I am obsessed with this product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Firstly, I have never found a moisturising product (oil, cream or gel) that I was able to use up because my skin would break out within the first few days of using something new. I was skeptical about trying this and I was 98% sure that it would result in an onslaught of acne but I gave it a go nevertheless.
I have now been using this every night and day for going on five months now and I'm onto my third bottle (I had the smaller sizes hence why I've gone through three). It absorbs incredibly well with no oily residue, some of the pigmentation on my cheeks has lightened, my makeup is going on smoother and I've been able to cut down on the use of my prescription retinoid. My cheeks used to get quite painfully dry and my t-zone can get quite oily but since using this oil my skin has become more balanced.

Priceline often have Trilogy products on sale so if you see that little sale tag, pick up a bottle. If you decide that you aren't a fan just mix it in with a body cream so you won't waste your money.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've just about come to the end of my first one and I'm fairly impressed.
My skin is oily, very prone to clogged pores and spots. I have issues with redness, fine lines some scarring and occasional dry patches.

Plus side: Bye to dry patches, they are now non existant on my skin using this every night before bed. I think I have seen a lessening in my fine lines, as my skin is less dry they look less obvious around my eyes/under eye/frown lines from using this product. It has also helped my eyebrows grow back quicker (I know that sounds odd but it's the only thing I can attribute it to). I'd like to say that this has evened out my oil production in the day time but I think that was a combination between this and my last BB cream, as I've gone back to oil slick with this and my new day cream.

Down side: I use this every night before bed, and very occasionally put an SK:N moisturiser over the top. Man, does it make my fringe and hair oily if it's in contact when I sleep. I have taken to wearing a soft alice band to sleep in. It does clog my pores if I apply too much so I try to blot off excess with the back of my hands (Makes them look better)

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Not as good as I might have hoped. I personally found it pore-clogging, fishtype-smelley & I have read it goes rancid far too quickly. Sticking with my Vitamin E oil. Hoped that I would have loved it but smell is too important to me as well so not a remote chance.

(I'm reposting a review from a while ago with what I think is a beneficial edit at the end - read on!)

Oh man. I've been slathering my face with this for about a month and I've never had better skin. I use it both am and pm, a couple drops mixed in with my regular creams. A little more oil at night. It can be a little drying (and I have oily skin) but mixing with other products remedies that beautifully.

Results: clear, even, glowy skin with reduced past dark acne scarring and redness. No pore clogging or breakouts whatsoever. Oil production is in major balance, I rarely have to powder or blot anymore. My skin is moist, plump, and did I mention the glow?!! Seriously -- it radiates health even through heavy foundation (which I don't need anymore, but still).

I see no cons. I picked up my Trilogy oil for about $22 on sale at Whole Foods. You can find good quality rosehip oil for decent prices online if you think this brand is overpriced. I've replaced my Badger Damascus rose oil with this -- that's a great, affordable product that contains rosehip oil, and is more moisturizing on its own, but I've found that undiluted rosehip is where it's at re: results. Couldn't be happier with a product! xoxo

EDIT: After using rosehip oil for a long time and loving the results, I decided to go with a different brand after finishing my bottle of the Trilogy. I ordered a 4 oz. bottle of oil from Mountain Rose Herbs (a great company known for quality) for $15.75 vs. the Trilogy oil which is $44 for about 1.5 oz. (Yep.) The MRH rosehip is slightly darker, slightly more viscous, and has a VERY slight oily smell. From what I understand, this actually indicates that the oil is of a higher quality, i.e. contains more of the beneficial rosehip compounds. I have also had nothing but amazing results from the MRH oil. So, long story short, you can get a HUGE amount of a superior quality oil from Mountain Rose Herbs - I highly recommend going this route. The only small con is that the large bottle, with a large opening, doesn't have a dropper or anything. (I'm repurposing the Trilogy bottle.)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Awesome stuff!
Here in New Zealand, Trilogy is pretty expensive so I guess I was hesitant about buying in the past. My friend who works at the pharmacy I go to swear by Rosehip, in fact her whole family uses it! I was looking initially for something to clear up some ugly blemishes that appeared out if no where ( too much sugar causes me to break out) I bought the small bottle and at only $24 NZ really inexpensive, i was impressed.

I swear i'll never use anything else. It's silky on your skin but not too oily considering it is oil haha. Just don't get too gung ho on it otherwise it'll take hours to absorb! After only having used it daily for a few days now the difference in my skin is epic. My twin and I suffer from facial & chest flushing and even after only a few days my face feels oddly calm which is boosting my confidence just a little bit more with each day.
I use it day and night, just wash with my usual cleanser and apply two to three drops ( sometimes less as you don't need much) massage it in and boom! All the small imperfections I used to notice on my face ( small sun spots, fine lines, blemishes etc. ) all gone.
leaves my skin dewy and healthy.

Love love love!
I recommend this to everyone! Seriously you will get your money's worth.
The only debbie downer thing is the packaging.
Glass does not travel well so i'm considering buying a plastic dropper bottle (if one exists?) Or another alternative travel friendly option.

UPDATE- 3/10/15

So I've still been using Trilogy Rosehip Oil continuously since my first review, so time to update on how it is all going.
I've now switched to the Anti Oxidant one, and it has all the same benefits, except for the nice bonus of anti wrinkle, and the packaging is WAY better than it's cousin. It's a smoother bottle with wider dropper which i'm stoked about, because it's not a mission to get the last dregs out of the bottle anymore.

I haven't switched to any other product because I love this so much and love the ongoing awesomeness it does to my skin. I take it everywhere I travel, even if it's just overnight.

When I first starting using the rosehip oil, I noticed a glowing brightness in my face. I think I got a bit overexcited and started using it day and night, probably a few drops too many. Unfortunately after using it for a week I started to break out, on my cheeks and near my chin, with a great amount of redness. It's a real shame, but I think it's just because my skin doesn't work well with oils. It hasn't in the past, but I guess I was willing to give one more a try based on the rave reviews. However, just because it doesn't suit my skin does not make me doubt that it works wonders for other people. I will keep using the oil for things like scars and stretch marks, but maybe just not on my face.

Popular Face Skincare Products