January 31, 2015 | 962 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2015 10:10:00 PM More reviews by heifervescent

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've had such outstanding results I just had to write a review. I'm 31 and have acne which flares around ovulation. My skin is never clear. I have combo skin that's oiler in the summer, drier in winter. I always have at least a few inflamed blemishes in various stages of healing. I also have lots of post acne red marks that take months to disappear, as well as blackheads and noticeable clogged pores which give my skin a somewhat bumpy appearance up close. Even though I've been plagued with acne all my life, I've been lucky enough to have minimal scaring even though I'm a picker. I also get cystic acne on my jawline and underneath my chin when stressed. Those are the worst because they stay for weeks and weeks. Months sometimes. My routine for the past 2 weeks is wash with my soap of choice at night, use evoo straight on my face for moisture. I use a washcloth to exfoliate in the morning shower, then a generous coating of evoo all over. I let it sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess. Around ovulation I'm used to breaking out every month and then trying to heal it until next time. This time, I did still get a couple of pimples but it was not the inflamed gross breakout it usually is! And the pimples were smaller and healed quicker than usual. The texture of my skin is smoother, and my skin feels more balanced and just better over all. I'm so amazed! Also, those clogged pores you can see when you very really close have been reducing and are so easy to extract now! I am theorizing that the oil has softened and opened otherwise closed pores allowing for more efficient exfoliation. Give it a shot!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2015 11:14:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I revisited extra virgin olive oil after watching videos on you tube. My skin gets flaky and dehydrated during the winter. Year round, I am oily and I struggle with mild adult acne that can become moderate at times as well as inflammation. I had a complete failure with olive oil years back when using it as a cleanser. The brand was Filippo Berio and it caused a ton of clogged pores and a breakout. I did some researching at acne.org and found that a lot of cheap commercial brands aren't 100 truthful with their claims. I can't say that I know that for a fact but all I know is that I never purchased that brand again. I now use a brand called Carozzi and it is a product of Chile. I use the Extra Virgin Olive Oil Intense one. It has less of that salad dressing smell and I love the flavor of this one better for food. A win win for me.

What I do: I use this more like a serum after my toner and before my moisturizer. I partially dampen a jumbo cotton ball with the oil and apply it all over the face. I massage it into the skin for about two minutes or so. I then top with my moisturizer. It is winter and very cold here so I've been doing this now for a week AM and PM and I have no clogged pores or breakouts from it. In fact, it makes my skin appear more clear and takes down the redness almost completely. Also, it is doing wonders for my makeup applicaton! Flakes are less of a problem now.

What I do for an acne flare up: Same routine except I mix the olive oil with a small amount of tea tree oil. Works great with overnight results!

What else you can do: Mix the olive oil with organic honey and apply it as a mask. Leave it on your face for an hour and rinse. Skin will be super soft and hydrated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2015 5:32:00 AM More reviews by boo_hiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I searched online desperately for solutions to dermatitis on the butt. Looks like pimples and is totally gross and embarrassing even to ask a doctor about, in my opinion. I found an article in an old forum where someone had posted that she got rid of the condition simply by regularly exfoliating the area and using olive oil (EVOO) to moisturize. This same method worked for me as well. I exfoliate in the shower every day with regular bar soap (you could probably use any soap) and a loofah type sponge on a handle that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. Once or twice a week I'll use a peppermint salt scrub. After showering I apply the olive oil liberally. Put your pajama pants back on in between putting on your jeans or whatever because there will be some residue. For a while I was putting the olive oil on at bedtime as well and I still do this, alternating with different body oils just for variety. All irritation on my skin on my thighs/butt has gone away, along with the incidental ingrown hairs I used to get, and my skin looks great.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2015 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Gp58

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best ingredient to use for my dry, patchy skin during winter. Great for make up removal especially heavy eye make up

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2015 8:34:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As a face or body moisturizer, I cannot use olive oil as a standalone option for my dehydrated (lacking water) skin. I have used a couple drops mixed into my regular moisturizer, or as a second layer with some success. While it moisturizes well enough and I have not experienced any adverse effects such as acne or other reactions, it doesn't absorb entirely and it can get onto my sheets or clothing or just make me look and feel too greasy.

As a makeup remover, I find it is much too greasy. It is the only straight oil that I've ever used (out of mineral, avocado, almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, etc.) to remove eye makeup that has found its way into my actual eyes causing my vision to be blurred. It is effective, but not as easy-to-use as other options.

For my hair (low-porosity virgin Asian hair), I have tried some on my dry ends when I had longer hair, but again I found it didn't absorb well and just left the ends looking and feeling lank and greasy.

Overall, while I think EVOO is an attractively available option, there are other oils I much prefer for my face, makeup remover, and hair (rosehip seed, mineral, and argan oil respectively).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2015 3:58:00 PM More reviews by standupnow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I needed extra moisture since the weather has been so cold and dry so thought I'd give evoo after washing my face. My eyes looked plump and moisturized my skin looked dewy. Then the next day I woke up to two painful cysts, I never get them usually. I'll stick to evoo capsules and frying my garlic, not recommending for the face.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by kittyinglasses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't use olive oil as a day to day moisturizer, I actually use this as a sort of "reset button" for my skin. Anytime I have a bad zit or dry skin or irritation, I slap on a bit of oil, let it sit for an hour, and blot away the excess with a piece of paper towel. The next day my skin is back to it's usual, sensitive-dry-combination, light acne-having self.

I do recommend this, and I consistently repurchase this anytime I run out (which is not often).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2014 9:22:00 AM More reviews by katerinaki84

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Grandma´s tip for hair.Stopped hair breakage

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2014 2:58:00 AM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this for cooking and taking off my makeup! I've been using it YEARS. It's AMAZING and emollient enough to take off EVERYTHING, including all kinds of makeup and sunscreen. I wear only waterproof mascara because no other type holds the curl of my freshly curled Asian lashes. I just dump a small amount of EVOO on the palm of my hand and distribute it all over my face, concentrating on the eyes. Gently rub and it just melts all of my makeup off. Then I just use my face wash to double cleanse and ta-da! Clean face! I have no clue why I ever though the only thing that should be used to take off makeup were pre-made makeup removers. No sending down possibly harmful stuff down the drain or using endless cotton pads or wipes.

I have tried lots of other oils to take off makeup/sunscreen over the years (rosehip, hemp seed, macadamia, castor/sunflower, sweet almond, tamanu, kukui, hazelnut, etc.) and I prefer EVOO for its texture/consistency (other oils are too light/"dry" or too thick to spread as easily) and accessibility.

It was also a great moisturizer on my body when I used it in the shower in a homemade sugar scrub. =) SUPER SOFT SKIN. But I don't like to use it as a regular body moisturizer, even in the shower, because it's too greasy-feeling on my skin. I'm one of those people who can't stand ANY filmy-feels on their body skin. :/ Especially when putting clothes on after.. So..

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by Aiko8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

*my rating reflects the use of olive oil as a moisturizer only*
I love olive oil for 2 things: cooking and hot honey&oil treatment for hair, (though make sure to shampoo thoroughly after hair treatment so your hair doesn't cause breakouts). The thing about using this on the face is that it will clog pores! On the comedogenicity scale
(0 non-comedogenic - 5 oily pore party) olive oil ranks in about a 2-3 which means it will not go on my face and it shouldn't go on yours. There is a high amount of oleic acid which which will clog your pores when left on skin. I suggest sticking to eating the olive oil with garlic and onions, whole grain pasta and romano....ok, time to make dinner!