Extra Virgin Olive Oil

4.4

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I love applying it to my hair before shampooing. It seems like my hair just drinks it in, then I'll shampoo and condition. Afterwards I'm left with bouncy glossy healthy feeling hair. It's never weighed down, it just feels extra nice! I just leave it on for 5 minutes, it's hard for me to let it sit for longer but I still get a great result!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have to admit, I don't really use this as a moisturizer (although I have used it on my legs for a lotion, but I prefer coconut oil because it tends to soothe any razor burn and keep bumps from forming.) What I DO use EVOO for is....make-up remover!

I recently learned the "baking" technique for getting better make-up coverage and staying power, but that developed a new problem in my routine--make-up removal since it seemed the make-up was practically cemented to my face! I tried my Equate Cetaphil which didn't work AT ALL...so I bought Equate Noxzema but THAT didn't work either! I remembered reading reviews about EVOO so I pulled it out of my kitchen cabinet and BINGO! So I transferred some to an empty honey container (the cute bear with the small hole in the lid) and now I pour some EVOO on my fingers and rub it into my face, then wipe it off with a wet wipe (normal baby wet wipes--fragrance free for me), then use either Cetaphil or Noxzema to get the oily residue off. I follow that with rubbing alcohol on a gauze square, but only because I have oily skin that tends to break out.

FYI...I have a run-down of my make-up routine with the "baking" on my review for Coty Airspun Translucent Extra Coverage Loose Face Powder.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I've always been on the fence about olive oil. It's a common ingredient in skincare products thanks to its excellent emollient capacity, but it's too greasy as a standalone moisturizer and it's certainly unthinkable in the hot, humid summer. However, it comes in handy in the winter when even oily skin can get dry.You really need to apply it on damp skin (which in turn answers the question: Is a toner necessary?). An oil can absorb very differently for different people, but I find olive oil to be far more moisturizing than coconut oil. I've experimented with a lot of oils (jojoba, sunflower, almond, sesame, coconut, walnut, grapeseed) and my skin agrees with all of them, but nothing leaves a silky, lit-within effect like olive oil.

On the other hand, there other other fields where olive oil pale in comparison to other oils. I find it less effective than mineral oil in removing makeup, which probably explains why the latter is present in most of the makeup removers on the market. It also fares worse than coconut oil as a hair treatment, which penetrate better into scalp and hair follicles.

That being said, olive oil is a staple in my self-maintenance routine and I appreciate that there other different oils for different beauty concerns. For that reason, please don't expect any single oil to be an oil to end all oils.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVE Extra Virgin Olive oil. you have to buy the certified organic one to make sure of its quality, and to make sure that it wont irritate you.

I use it as make up remover (yes even for eye make up):
first I put it all over my eyes - you will see your eye makeup coming off and you will look like a panda, then put water in cotton pad to wipe it all away
then I put it all over my face - same thing, after that I put water in cotton pad to wipe it away as well!

Also use it for added moisturizer on winter days (I currently live in the netherlands): wash your face and put it on your face for 1 minute, then rinse.

I am a 21 year old South East Asian girl (hence the darker skin type from other asian) have oily and acne prone skin.. it does not make your face more oily even if it is oil!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Since I have become pregnant, I started using it to massage my entire body with it after showering. I actually really like the fruity scent and massaging it to damp skin makes it absorb nicely. My skin has become so soft from it that I'm braving it on my face as well to cleanse with good results.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I leave this on my hair three hours prior to showering, after shampooing this out I'll condition with Aussie Moist, then do a apple cider vinegar rinse...I have a perfect hair day with no frizz. This method brings a lot of relief in winter

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I use this in an old hair oil bottle to put in my hair, on my skin, nails, ugh its amazing. I usually mix the oil with a bit of coconut oil, lemon, on a rare occasion eggs. My hair feels super soft afterwards and my hair definitely is shiny. Lots of people massage warm oil into their scalp to bring more blood to their hair folicles to help hair grow and it is claimed to work well. I use this as "shaving cream" and down the centre on my legs to give the appearance of shiny legs.

This is the only thing that works for my dry retinoid-treated sensitive skin in winter. If you apply it after washing your face (while it's still damp) it absorbs in perfectly. My skin is softer than before and feels very hydrated. I've got a cabinet filled with $$$ moisturizers and am using those on my neck from here on out because this works better than the rest.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I buy this at big lots or any other discount place since it's not like I'm going to be ingesting it. I do not use Olive Oil for my skin. Despite the anti-bacterial claims, it always broke my skin out in the past.

What I use olive oil for is a hot oil pre-shampoo treatment. After applying a generous amount to wet hair, I follow up with shampoo. THIS is what leaves me with clean *and* soft hair. Even dollar store brands of shampoo will work for me as long as I use this first.

Over the past year I've been seeking the perfect shampoo. They all seem to either strip my hair, or leave it greasy. Sulfate, sulfate free, cowash, low lather, drugstore end, luxury brands...ect. I've tried it all. Some can be used when I need to clarify, and some can be used for when I've dried out my hair from chemicals. However none of them have been perfect for everyday showering.

For reference - I have dry hair from coloring but an oily scalp. I like coconut oil for my bleaching method. However C.O is much more difficult to wash out.

I started using Olive Oil as a natural moisturizer for my skin, and am so happy with the results! I was afraid at first that it would make me breakout and give me an oily face, but it hasn't made me break out at all, and its actually helped prevent breakouts! I use it in the shower after I'm done using my cleanser and I apply just a few drops to my face and rub it in, let it sit a few seconds, then rinse off until your skin feels soft. After I get out of the shower, I just pat my face dry. It has helped sooo much! For those hesitant to use oil on your skin, it doesn't make it more oily if you use it correctly! :) Just don't use too much.

As for using it for your hair, it makes your hair very greasy. I don't use it on my hair, so I don't really have a problem with that but if you want some natural hair remedies, try using something else like coconut oil which was different on my hair... although I don't use any oils on my hair right now. Great for skin overall, and will definitely be using it lots in the future!

Video Reviews & Tutorials