October 2, 2014 | 1011 users online

Cleansers - Fresh - Soy Cleanser/ Makeup remover

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2014 6:15:00 PM More reviews by prettygirl22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this cleanser as a gift pack at Christmas time and it also came with a FULL size Fresh Sugar Rose Lip balm, Seaberry Moisturizer and a pretty Fresh cosmetic bag for only $37 Canadian!! Which we all know is a steal when it comes to Fresh cosmetics. I also bought one for a friend as a Christmas gift!

Anyways, I love the smell of this cleanser. It is easy to use and the packaging is efficient as well. What I don't like about this product is the ridiculous price tag. Although this product is thorough in helping take off my makeup, it doesn't take off everything, so I end up using a second product.

I strongly feel that this product is very comparable to Spectrogel in its look and consistency and I feel that although Spectrol gel smells like poison carrots and its packaging isn't appealing, it is essentially the same thing. Also a big bottle of Spectrogel goes for like $10-$13 Canadian.

If you want to splurge on a cleanser that is essentially "fresh" in its smell and appearance, this product works great for that. However, I'm going to stick with Spectrogel as my go to cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by ashnice05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this as a 100 point perk from Sephora in January and I use it with my Clarisonic every night before bed, and it makes my skin feels amazing, and when I wear makeup during the day, I wash my face with this cleanser and it washes my makeup all off, even my mascara without burning my eyes and I love it, definitely buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by iammao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've re-purchased this product twice. Used it in both soft water conditions and hard water conditions. As one of the reviewers mentioned, this cleanser is really good for fragile oily, acneic skins because most face washes dry out the surface of your skin too much and serves only to make it even oilier.

I started using this in earnest when I was on acne medication. I didn't like Cetaphil and needed something slightly, just slightly, stronger to get rid of the excess surface oil. This did the job. Halfway through my acne meds, I had to move from the tropics to London where the water is very hard. This performed really well in hard water conditions. It felt clean without leaving my skin dry. I am at the end of my second large tube.

This product carries many claims such as makeup cleansing and mascara removing abilities. I want to fault Fresh for such audacious claims, but I also understand that they are an American brand. And the market demands amongst mainstream North American consumers is a single step (foamy) rinse-off cleanser that will remove everything including waterproof makeup. Alas, there really isn't such a product that will do it for full face makeup. You do need an oil based (cleansing milk, oil, cream) product to break down makeup. Asian brands take double cleansing as a standard process, and increasingly, British brands, even drugstore ones are doing this combination beautifully (sometimes even better than Asian brands).

Taking all that into account, I will let the audacious claims of makeup removal slide because this is a very good gentle 'foaming' face wash that is quite universal. My gripe is of course the price, and despite the large tube lasting me wayyy past the 6 months expiry date, it is still quite a bit of money to pay. Most face wash will last similarly long so it is quite an expensive purchase. I'm running out of my second tube and wondering if I should repurchase a third tube.

Don't buy this if you want a one-step remove all, nothing does that, except maybe for Cosmedicine's dual phased cleanser, which may leave a residue. Don't buy this if you think it will 'tone', there is also no such thing. It's like expecting 2 in 1 shampoos or 2 in 1 laundry detergent (they exist) to do the job well. Toning (based on European skincare school of thought) is a step to rebalance skin pH, remove hard water residue, moisten and prepare skin for the next step. So, no you cannot have a 2 in 1 product for this.

Buy this if you want a gentle face but effective wash that leaves no residue, won't dry out active sebaceous skin, won't strip combi/dry skins and something that will behave well in different water hardness when you travel. Finally, get this if you want a gentle cleanser that works well with a Clarisonic or as the second step in a double cleansing routine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

I received a small tube of this from Sephora as either a birthday present or a points gift...can't remember. And I really liked it! The smell was very nice and fresh...slightly floral, and the gel lathered up very well. It did take off my makeup, but not so much my eye makeup (the packaging promised it would remove mascara but it didn't) and left my face feeling very clean. If I can fork up the cash, I'd definitely buy this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2012 2:05:00 AM More reviews by natalie225

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The first few uses of this product I wasn't too impressed for the price, however after continued use I began to notice improvement in my skin tone. Primarily the fact of how incredibly soft my skin began to feel. I also like how little of the product you have to use to cleanse your face. I have sensitive skin and this product does not break me out, irritate my skin, or leave my skin red, it is a very gentle soap. The only draw back is that it does not 100% remove all of my black eyeliner. Another concern is the user post below regarding the ingredients, will need to check out the site referenced, cosmeticsdatabase.com.

Update - after reading the users post below regarding the ingredients and visting cosmeticdatabase.com I came across a cleanser by Be Natutal Organics made with rose hip seed, as I really loved the roses from the fresh cleanser. It does an excellent job of removing all makeup without irritating my sensitive skin and leaves it just as soft as the fresh cleanser. I highly recommend visting cosmeticdatabase.com to learn more about the products you're using.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by clownface

I have really dry, sensitive skin and this cleanser works pretty well. I was looking for an alternative to my Cerave cream cleanser since I felt like my skin needed a change. Like others have said, it has a gel-like, slimy texture to it and smells pretty earthy. It's a combination of cucumbers and something I can't quite put my finger on. I know others are put off by the smell, but I sorta like it. It's non-drying and take all my make up off, but I don't wear a ton to begin with so it may not work as well if you do. The price is pretty steep, but unless I find something better I'll stick with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 7:45:00 AM More reviews by dkarb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

An absolutely "meh" cleanser. Took off my makeup, but not very thoroughly. The scent is very strong, and not to my liking. It was gentle, and did not strip me of any moisture, but I don't feel that it cleaned deeply enough. Will not be buying again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2011 3:30:00 PM More reviews by ari496

This was very pleasant. It was kind of like aromatherapy. It smelled so good, like roses. It was very gentle and it left my face feeling so fresh and clean and smooth. It did a great job of removing my makeup, even my waterproof mascara. Too bad it didn't really help with my breakouts.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2011 6:15:00 PM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I do like the way this makes my skin feel after use, it does feel clean and soft without being stripped and doesnt leave any kind of film on me. BUT I cannot stand the smell of cucumber! Not the fake cucumber smell but like actual cucumbers. For this reason alone I would stick with philosophy's purity made simple. If that werent enough, the price tag is too high for a cleanser that doesnt manage to get my waterproof makeup off.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by products101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I like this face wash. It works really well with my skin, removes my makeup well. It cleanses really well without over drying. I was caught off guard with all the ingredient concerns on other reviews, but honestly, it doesn't bother me too much, and my skin looks great.