L'Oreal Excellence Creme

on 7/19/2015 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hands down best I've used, the color is even, shiny, matches that on the box, covers grays, and lasts about 5 weeks. I have had those who know me ask what color/ brand I'm using because it makes me look ten years younger ( I'm 57) so I think this is a sure winner for me. I use Light Brown Natural

I have gotten the best results when I use Excellence. I'm in my late 20s and I already have some grays, and Excellence covers grays really well, better than other dyes I've tried. I love that it comes with a comb applicator, it makes it SO much easier to distribute the dye more thoroughly. I wish all brands had that applicator! Also, the pre-treatment serum makes sure my ends don't soak up too much dye and keeps them soft. The conditioner is nice too.

Because I'm a total cheapskate I normally grab Revlon Colorsilk, but I actually feel that Excellence is a better product and worth the extra few bucks. I've used Dark Golden Brown to jazz up my usual dark brown hair, and Natural Ash Black which is pretty close to my natural color (maybe a touch darker). Excellent coverage and keeps hair in great condition. Definitely recommend.

on 6/13/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. I was trying to get rid of diy brassy blond highlights and return to my natural which is a med ash brown. I purchased this product in the med. ash brown and used it only on the hair I wanted to tone. The end result is awesome. All the brassy redness is gone and it is a perfect match to my natural. I always have issues with products going to dark.. this one did not. Would definitely recommend. And my hair was super soft after use. Smell was a little strong bit really all dyes are so not a huge deal.

on 3/5/2015 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Recently I discovered I have a cool skin tone rather than warm. So, I decided to change my hair from dyed light red back to its natural light ash brown. Normally, I use Revlon Colorsilk, but I had heard its ash tones can turn your hair green. So, I decided to go with Excellence Creme. I was a little worried it wouldn't cover or would turn too dark. However, the results were pretty great. I ended up with a fairly neutral light brown color with some slight ash tones. The color isn't as cool toned as my natural hair color, but since I was putting this over an orange base, I'm pretty happy. After rinsing out the color, it was a little dark, but after the first shampoo, it was fine. The condition of my hair is okay as well. As much as I loved the red, I have to admit the light brown is more flattering. I'm just glad this product actually worked.

Edit: After a few washes the red started popping through my hair like crazy. I ended up covering over it with Revlon Colorsilk in Light Ash Brown 50, which didn't leave any of the green tones I feared. Excellence Creme has beautiful colors, but it simply fades too fast.

on 3/3/2015 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have dark blonde hair with 3 inches of regrowth. I had highlights that discolored and grew out. I had a mess of ugly colors from about 3 inches down to the ends. This made my beautiful, so soft, and a beautiful medium ash blonde. I used 7 1/2 A med ash blonde. It is gorgeous. My hair was greasy to start so before I used this I washed and dried my hair. Would definitely use this product again. Results were just want I wanted. Beautiful and well worth the price.

on 3/2/2015 5:28:00 PM

I used E1 Light Ash Brown with medium brown hair with previous dye (2 months old). My hair matched the 2nd swatch on the box exactly.

My complaint with this product is that the ash shades in this line only work with hair that is light to begin with, it will not cool brown hair in the slightest. Darken it a little, maybe, but not change warmth. For an ash shade, this was disappointing. I am aware you will not get lighter hair, but I expect if brown is a swatch on the box, it should cool the brown as it depicts, reduce some orange/red/brass tones at least somewhat. It should specify for blondes only if it can't manage that.

Now my hair appears more damaged for my trouble (leaning on long side of 30 min as instructed), and exact same shade I started with. Trying Perfect 10 in a month, or going to salon.

on 2/25/2015 5:08:00 PM

I had been dying my hair dark red for one year with Wella Color Charm and I was tired of the constant root upkeep. I wanted to go back to my natural dirty blonde color, so I used Color Oops twice to get rid of the red. It mostly worked, but left me with some red brassy tones still. Add on the Sun-Spray that I used on top of those to lighten my hair (because who doesn't want lighter hair?), and I had a hot strawberry blonde mess. I used Excellence Cream in 8.5A Champagne Blonde with the expectation that it wouldn't lighten my hair, but tone down the strawberry brassy mess. It met my expectation. My color is the same as the third swatch down on the box. I'm pleased!

on 2/23/2015 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My biggest issue with this product is the color stains on skin and difficult to remove even though I have put Vaseline on the face, neck and arms before.

on 2/20/2015 7:39:00 PM

I have naturally very dark brown Asian hair to begin with, and I have used this product for about 2 years now. After going after a variety of blonds in the range to lighten my dark hair, I have finally settled for the Natural Copper Blonde B04. This colour gives me a nice medium warm brown colour to my hair, and does significantly lighten my hair. In order for this to work, I usually need to wait for over an hour. Otherwise the colour will not show much at all. But when I do have the patience to leave it on for a long time, it gives me the colour I want.

The colour stays on very nicely, without being washed away quickly. I find the red tone sticks with me until about 3 months after, when my hair will become a little brassy, but in general still has a nice reddish copper tint to it, which I love. I find that right after dying my hair with this, my hair will be stiff and dry for a few days, but it soon recovers. This happens every time I use it. I don't do particular hair treatments to my hair, I just use the conditioner that comes with the dye on a daily basis until I run out of it.

The dye comes with a pre-hair dye serum that you apply to your hair before you dye it, and leave it on for a few minutes. I find the conditioner quite nice, as it does moisturize my hair nicely after, and the texture is nice and thick, without it feeling like a coat of weird stuff on my hair even after I rinse it off. Also, the hair dye does not smell too bad, it also has a nice scent on top of the ammonia odour to kind of mask it nicely, I also like the texture of the hair dye very much, as there is no dripping and no mess every time. Unlike the L'Oreal Preference, which drips everywhere...

I give this 4 lippies, mostly because it could be more effective, like the L'Oreal Feria. The Feria lightens my hair and puts colour on much faster than this one does. But it is also more expensive than the Excellence Creme.

Here is a video demo that I did, feel free to fast forward it to about the 2 minute mark to see how I apply it, and how it turns out in the end.

on 1/26/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My review is for the Medium Ash Blonde color 7 1/2 A.

I recently decided to bleach my hennaed hair (VERY copper red and VERY permanent) and will my hair into blondeness. Well, after one bleach wash, one full on bleaching my hair was left with bright yellow roots and pale orange lengths. My ends were near gummy so I crossed my fingers as I applied Wella toners T18 and T14 twice.
Obviously toners are nil on hair that hasn't reached that yellow stage and so my hair was kind of left a weird mixture of beige blonde, hay blonde, brass, and orange.

SO i colored my roots with a level 5 brown to cover the yellow and created a false bayalage effect which worked but still, the orange was so obv.

So i went to Walmart after much research and bought a box of the aforementioned shade and applied it. I will say my shoulder length but deeply layered hair would've required a box and a half had I applied this to my roots so keep that in mind.
I DID use the pre treatment very scantily as I'm not sure what exactly it is and I'm too lazy to look into it. I also left it in for 40 minutes total, checking it every 10 minutes.

it seems the orange is nearly gonzo!! fyi, i chose an ash because its blue based and blue cancels orange (color theory guys!)
I'm still waiting for it to dry and I plan on using a level 4 ash brown to apply to my roots for the grown out lazy girl effect i mentioned earlier.
also it seems the color is much more uniform and it does look a couple shades darker, it is still damp and I don't expect the color to fully settle until a shampooing.

we shall seeeee :x

EDIT: it's now dry and the orange is truly gone. BUT this shade is like a light ash brown so don't leave it on passed the rec time, even for maximum coverage. Also, maybe it's just very new to me but it seems grayesque...i'm doing my roots now so hopefully the contrast will make the lengths appear lighter.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

(Demo) How to Dye Dark Hair into Light Warm Brown at Home | JJ BeautyRoom by JJ BeautyRoom

L'Oreal Paris Excellence Creme "G" Dark Brown Hair Dye Review Brown to Black by Apollo-milkchocolate