September 23, 2014 | 2035 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Excellence Creme

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by perisnale

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this review is for the shade 7 1/2 A, medium ash blonde. i had originally wanted to get natural ash blonde (which i believe is 8.1) but my cvs only had the 7.5, so i went with that as the closest.

previously i had dyed my hair about 4 weeks ago with the superior preference in 7 1/2 A and was rather disappointed with it. i've heard better reviews for the excellence creme in terms of covering more resistant hair (like mine) so i figured i would give it a shot. the reason i didn't go a shade lighter (as i had been previously considering) was that i've heard that going too light can often give a red cast to naturally dark/black hair, which i wanted to avoid.

before dying my hair was a medium brown, a little brassy in certain lights but slightly toned down by the superior preference. i'd say it was probably around a level 4.5, which was the result of three previous dyes with a japanese brand (my natural hair colour is a level 2 black). i was aiming for at least a level lighter, but immediately after dying my colour has only lifted about half a level. HOWEVER my roots, which had been black, are completely lifted to match the rest of the hair. i don't know if this means that the dye works better on virgin hair, or maybe the heat from my scalp helped process it better. i may try wrapping my hair up and blow drying it next time.

the smell of this dye is actually not bad at all, much better than the preference and really not noticeable to me. it is distinct but not unpleasant. the bottle was a little difficult to squeeze when the comb applicator was attached, but workable. i used half of the bottle for my slightly past chin length hair.

i started with my roots and left the dye in for 40 minutes after finishing application. i had minimal hair falling out, and after using the conditioner and some argan oil my hair is basically as soft/shiny as it was before.

PROS:
- smell is negligible
- no/minimal damage
- fairly easy to apply (gloves fit fine, don't know why people have been complaining)
- works well on roots

CONS:
- colour not true to box (doesn't lift well on darker hair)
- serum not necessary (i didn't use it)

i might update this if the colour changes in a week or two, however i'm not expecting much. if you have virgin dark hair you could probably try this to lift your colour, since my roots really did go from black to medium brown.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I bought this in Light Ash Brown 6A COOLER after years of using Clairol Nice n Easy (usually Root Touch Up and occasionally the permanent hair color)This was far easier to use by myself than the Clairol, but it made my scalp itch for 2 weeks and the color didn't last very long at all. For me, I really don't like the look of brassy reddish hair on Asian women, so I wasn't thrilled when the color seemed reddish in a few days. I wait 48-72 hours before my first hair wash after coloring and use Joico sulfate-free shampoo, but the color seems to go pretty fast. It's been 2.5 weeks and it looks like it's been 5-6 weeks since my last hair color! The grays show at the roots as if I hadn't colored 2-3 weeks ago. I followed all the directions and used all the stuff that came in the packaging. I left it on 15 minutes longer than the standard time to cover the gray roots. The Clairol is a lot messier/runnnier and harder to use by yourself, but the color lasts and I think the conditioner is nicer.

Pros - less messy, much easier prep and cleanup,
- nicer bottle and other tools to be used in application
- easier to use because it foams/thickens up on your scalp and seems to "spread" itself to every millimeter of your scalp and hair.

Cons - irritated and made my scalp itch for 2 weeks
- color did not last longer than 2 weeks
- even the "'ash"/"COOLER" shade becomes brassy and reddish in a week

I had really preferred the tools and everything in the package as I was using them and thought I was going to be switching from the Clairol for the future, but the result is unacceptable. I won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by redapples1949

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

As soon as my hair stylist told me I had to pay $97 to dye my asian black hair a reddish-brown hue with natural highlights, I knew it was time to hit up Walmart's hair dye aisle. I decided to go with L'Oreal Excellence Cream in 9A (Light Ash Blonde) because it had good reviews and promised to keep my then-virgin hair free of split ends and crackly dryness.

If theres one awful thing I can think of about virgin jet black asian hair, is that our hair is so dark that using brown or even light brown dyes wont have a visible effect under room lighting. YouTube gurus swore that using blond dye is the only way to lift the dark color without using bleach, so there I was, an asian girl waiting in the checkout line of my local Walmart, toting a near-platinum blond shade of box dye.

I was terrified when my mom started applying the dye in my hair.

But it worked! I left it on for about 40-45 minutes (just to make sure the dye really worked on my hair) with a showercap. The box comes with a comb applicator and a regular applicator; I used the regular applicator because my mom was the one dying my hair. The dye didnt smell terribly awful and didnt drip all over the place.

When I rinsed it, my hair still felt soft, and it was totally silky when I added the conditioner from the box (so it really does protect hair, keep it soft and healthy, and does all that it claims).

For a while, my hair was a hazelnut shade, but its been a month now and its faded to a gorgeous medium reddish brown with a hint of the hazelnut that it used to be.

Ill definitely use this line from L'Oreal to do my roots and maintain my color! And for those girls out there with stubbornly dark hair and want to lighten it -- dont be afraid to use blond dye. It worked for me. 😊

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by hchizuk

Abosolutely terrible!! Do NOT waste your money on this!

A while ago I dyed my hair blonder than it was naturally, so it was a golden light brown (two or so shades lighter than my normal hair color). I let it grow out and in a long time (two years almost to the date) and the ends of my hair were slightly lighter than the top. It gave me a very natural ombre look. So I wanted to ramp it up because after the years I grew it out the color faded. I bought this and hoped the blonde on the end of my hair would look even brighter than before! I picked out the natural blonde shade Excellence Creme by Loreal due to its high reviews and the color on the box. It was brighter than I wanted, but knowing how hair dye works I knew it would never really get that bright. My sister and I have dyed hair a lot, including ombre on her and a few of our friends so this was no new venture, and we followed all directions. So I only applied the color to the bottom of my hair to do an ombre effect like we have in the past. At first after dying I feared my hair was even DARKER. Then I looked at the pictures I had taken before veruses after to find out THERE WAS NO CHANGE AT ALL. My hair has always taken to every other dye I used, and this is my first dye in two years, so there is no reason it didn't take. Looking even closer the hair is just smoother and healither looking, a bit brassy. If I hold the end up to my roots you can see a difference, the difference of the color I put in two years ago. AWFUL. Do not buy. I'm going back to the store to BUY ANOTHER BRAND. Save yourself the dissappointment and the money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product every 2 months for 5 years now and I love it. (sometimes Target has a 2-pack you can save on) I use it to cover my grays, dying the same hair color as I was born with - medium to dark brown. The hair is never stripped, always silky, and I've yet to have a bad time with it. On the contrary the few times that I've ventured and tried another brand I'm always left disappointed and go back to my trusty Excellence Creme. The one downfall are the gloves, they pretty much suck so I got my own pack at Walmart and use those instead since I color my hair so often.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2014 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At home hair color is tricky at best...trying to find the right color/formula is a pain, but I got tired of paying $100+ for dye jobs that left me disappointed. I purchased a box of this and have to say I am very happy with it. Due to a salon mess up, the top layer of my hair was a brassy ginger color, and the underside was dark brown with a thick stripe of black..I have no idea how they achieved this. In addition, I had about 2" of salt/pepper grays growing out. A real mess. I wanted one hair color. I purchased this in Light Ash Brown...hoping at least to get rid of the brassy color. Surprisingly, it did exactly what I wanted. My hair is a soft light brown, with just the slightest hint of copper in the sun. I used the pre treatment for the ends, and left the dye on for a full 40 minutes. It was easy to apply, didn't run, didn't smell bad, and didn't burn or sting. After dying, my hair felt great even before I used the after color conditioner, After, it was like silk. It covered my greys (except those that I missed) and left a pretty, natural color that doesn't look flat or "dyed". My hair was already damaged, but I didn't notice any further damage, in fact, it looks much better. This worked better than I expected and did exactly what I needed it to do. I'll definitely repurchase.
EDIT****I have to say I'm not that pleased with how this color performed. After a couple washings, it developed a strange greenish hue and washed almost completely in couple of weeks. The grays came back along with new growth. I imagine if you want to use this about every 2 or 3 weeks, it would work, however I'm much too lazy for all that trouble. I'll keep looking for something that works.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by 3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So disappointed! First off, I did not like the extra step of the "pre treatment" but I applied it to the ends of my hair. After shaking the color mixture the bottle seemed strangely warm.... a little nervous I applied. I didn't prefer the creme texture on my straight fine hair it seemed to not be coating well. Did not smell too bad though and had no itching or burning on scalp. Left on the maximum time for my stubborn grays. Rinsed out fairly easy and conditioner provided was very good. No hair fall after rinsing and combing! now for the bad news... My hair barely looked any different! I had previously dyed black hair that was last colored 6 monthes ago. I used this in the Natural Black shade. It seemed more of a dark brown though and did not cover a lot of my grays!!! Also left my hair very frizzy.... will have to color again in a month. Was not happy and would not recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2014 3:00:00 AM More reviews by ChelseaDaniellee

I absolutely hated this dye. It was messy, and hard to use. The blonde ash color turned my hair brassy and left my hair feeling and looking very unhealthy and dry.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by MilkBar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i bought medium ash blonde (7.5A) COOLER and it turned my dirty blonde virgin roots orange after 45min. the color difference between my natural color and the one on the box was minute, yet it still messed up my roots. the rest of the hair looks fine but how am i supped to hide roots? am using a blue shampoo to tone it down and it's working but still.. the hair needs a professional fix now so i'll end up spending more rather than saving money. total bs!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

Having been coloring my grays for many moons, I usually gravitate towards a semi permanent color but the shade I love just happened to come in this permanent option. I took a chance. I made the commitment. Hey, it’s a great shade, Iced Chocolate, a deep, lush dark brown with loads of depth. Now the real test was how the color performed. Excellence comes with a protector to apply to the ends before coloring so the color does not “grab” to dry areas. This was a nice feature. I generally don’t apply the color to the ends until the last 10-15 minutes of coloring anyway but I felt like I had extra insurance from extra dark ends. And the deep conditioner was okay. My hair was left shiny and I did achieve almost 100% gray coverage. I will keep on using this product as long they make this color or until I get bored with it. Or L’Oreal changes it (which is what happened to the last color product I loved!)