February 26, 2015 | 1841 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Excellence Creme

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2015 5:08:00 PM More reviews by portalhop

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had been dying my hair dark red for one year with Wella Color Charm and I was tired of the constant root upkeep. I wanted to go back to my natural dirty blonde color, so I used Color Oops twice to get rid of the red. It mostly worked, but left me with some red brassy tones still. Add on the Sun-Spray that I used on top of those to lighten my hair (because who doesn't want lighter hair?), and I had a hot strawberry blonde mess. I used Excellence Cream in 8.5A Champagne Blonde with the expectation that it wouldn't lighten my hair, but tone down the strawberry brassy mess. It met my expectation. My color is the same as the third swatch down on the box. I'm pleased!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2015 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Diankarl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My biggest issue with this product is the color stains on skin and difficult to remove even though I have put Vaseline on the face, neck and arms before.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2015 7:39:00 PM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have naturally very dark brown Asian hair to begin with, and I have used this product for about 2 years now. After going after a variety of blonds in the range to lighten my dark hair, I have finally settled for the Natural Copper Blonde B04. This colour gives me a nice medium warm brown colour to my hair, and does significantly lighten my hair. In order for this to work, I usually need to wait for over an hour. Otherwise the colour will not show much at all. But when I do have the patience to leave it on for a long time, it gives me the colour I want.

The colour stays on very nicely, without being washed away quickly. I find the red tone sticks with me until about 3 months after, when my hair will become a little brassy, but in general still has a nice reddish copper tint to it, which I love. I find that right after dying my hair with this, my hair will be stiff and dry for a few days, but it soon recovers. This happens every time I use it. I don't do particular hair treatments to my hair, I just use the conditioner that comes with the dye on a daily basis until I run out of it.

The dye comes with a pre-hair dye serum that you apply to your hair before you dye it, and leave it on for a few minutes. I find the conditioner quite nice, as it does moisturize my hair nicely after, and the texture is nice and thick, without it feeling like a coat of weird stuff on my hair even after I rinse it off. Also, the hair dye does not smell too bad, it also has a nice scent on top of the ammonia odour to kind of mask it nicely, I also like the texture of the hair dye very much, as there is no dripping and no mess every time. Unlike the L'Oreal Preference, which drips everywhere...

I give this 4 lippies, mostly because it could be more effective, like the L'Oreal Feria. The Feria lightens my hair and puts colour on much faster than this one does. But it is also more expensive than the Excellence Creme.

Here is a video demo that I did, feel free to fast forward it to about the 2 minute mark to see how I apply it, and how it turns out in the end.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2015 3:32:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am doing a review for the L'oreal Excellence creme haircolor you can buy at Sally's. If you're unfamiliar, it is sold like a toothpaste tube, similar to the kind in some box dyes but it doesn't come with developer or the lovely addition of conditioner/gloves/easy-to-read directions.

The color I purchase is 8.43 Copper Blond (there may be a 'dark' or 'medium' adjective in there before the Copper but I can't remember, though you get the gist). So anyways, it's red but the swatch at Sally's was bright and orangey, much like my hair is now and I needed to touch up my roots.
I am like a roots nazi and HATE even an eighth of an inch of visibility esp with having naturally mousy blondish brownish reddish hair (formerly strawberry blonde, sigh) and vibrant copper orange lengths thus I have to touch up every two weeks or less.

So here's the problem:
at Sally's with my member card, it's 5.99 per tube.
Well I don't need to use the whole tube (my lengths are hennaed and due to prior excessive bleaching/color stripping, cannot be exposed to developer for too long), so I just need to use a little at a time but its nearly impossible.
The mixing ratio according to the box is 1.74 parts color to 2.5 parts developer. and unlike Ion brand, the tube doesn't have helpful guidelines imprinted on the tube so you can measure your ounces.

I tried risking it and just squirting out some color and guessing at the developer but it was a faint stain. So you can't reap the perks of buying it as a professional would for an as-needed basis because it's too difficult.

As for the color, I've read many complaints it comes out darker than the swatches or as described and this baffles me to no end. Hair all reacts differently, and the golden rule of coloring is to always go 1 to 2 shades lighter than your desired shade. Perhaps even 3 in this case because it is GEARED TOWARDS GRAY HAIR. i.e. potent colorant.

Anyways, truth be told I would prefer to buy Ion because I love that brand (plus, oddly enough it smells way better, like apples) and because Ion is a dollar less and again, has lines on the packaging for measuring so you can save product. But until they make my shade I'm sticking with L'oreals 8.43

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2015 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Taylorm3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

**Update**

I wanted to give an update on this product after one week. The color still looks very nice. It's a little darker than I would have expected for medium brown but I don't mind (maybe it just seems dark because I am so fair.) The downer is that my hair is a bit damaged. I've always had my hair professionally dyed and it looked very natural and my hair was never damaged so I am not sure I will continue with the box dye. I have pretty strong hair that is not easily damaged so the fact that my hair is noticeably damaged is a little discouraging. This brand is hard on your hair but it's designed to cover gray so it is more damaging. I may look for another brand that's less damaging and hope it covers my gray.

I did find the product easy to apply. I did not use the applicator. I bought a small paint brush and a tail comb and parted my hair in quarter inch sections and used the paint brush to apply making sure every piece of root was thoroughly saturated. I followed the instructions from a utube video and found this worked very well. The product did not drip at all and I did not find any areas that I missed

*****

I purchased the medium brown #5 and used it 2 days ago. no one has noticed I did my own hair which I think is a good sign. the color is a rich brown. hopefully it stays that way. I have a lot of gray and it appears to be covering it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Jlhenderson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a wonderful hair dye. After having black hair for awhile, I decided to return to my natural hair color, a dark, mousy blonde. Many harrowing attempts later, I arrived at a horrible orange-blonde color after bleaching it. So I purchased this dye in Dark Beige Blonde, and left it on for only fifteen minutes. It turned my hair the exact color I wanted it, with no trace of orange!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by moomoo84

This is the best at home hair colour I've ever used! The formula was so creamy and easy to use and it left my hair feeling so healthy and shiny..I was and still am amazed! I used dark chocolate brown and expected it to turn my hair black but it didn't..it was initially a very dark brown (borderline black) when I first coloured it but now it's softened to a chocolatey brown shade. I have a number of white hairs scattered throughout and it managed to cover all of them very nicely. So happy to know that I no longer have to spend hundreds going to the salon to get my hair coloured!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by threearmsally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this in shade 7: Natural Dark Blonde. My hair was about a level 9 light blonde before this and I wanted to take it down a few levels. What I ended up with however was a super ashy brunette color, around a level 5. It's not that the color is ugly, I actually like it and I'm going to keep it, but it's just not at all what I was expecting or aiming for. I was very surprised when I got out of the shower and saw myself in the mirror. After reading a few reviews I saw that many others have had the same experience. I would not recommend this dye to anyone, because it's not at all a blonde shade.

As for the dye and how it worked on my hair, it was actually very gentle and it left my hair soft and with a nice smell. That I did like.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by perisnale

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this review is for the shade 7 1/2 A, medium ash blonde. i had originally wanted to get natural ash blonde (which i believe is 8.1) but my cvs only had the 7.5, so i went with that as the closest.

previously i had dyed my hair about 4 weeks ago with the superior preference in 7 1/2 A and was rather disappointed with it. i've heard better reviews for the excellence creme in terms of covering more resistant hair (like mine) so i figured i would give it a shot. the reason i didn't go a shade lighter (as i had been previously considering) was that i've heard that going too light can often give a red cast to naturally dark/black hair, which i wanted to avoid.

before dying my hair was a medium brown, a little brassy in certain lights but slightly toned down by the superior preference. i'd say it was probably around a level 4.5, which was the result of three previous dyes with a japanese brand (my natural hair colour is a level 2 black). i was aiming for at least a level lighter, but immediately after dying my colour has only lifted about half a level. HOWEVER my roots, which had been black, are completely lifted to match the rest of the hair. i don't know if this means that the dye works better on virgin hair, or maybe the heat from my scalp helped process it better. i may try wrapping my hair up and blow drying it next time.

the smell of this dye is actually not bad at all, much better than the preference and really not noticeable to me. it is distinct but not unpleasant. the bottle was a little difficult to squeeze when the comb applicator was attached, but workable. i used half of the bottle for my slightly past chin length hair.

i started with my roots and left the dye in for 40 minutes after finishing application. i had minimal hair falling out, and after using the conditioner and some argan oil my hair is basically as soft/shiny as it was before.

PROS:
- smell is negligible
- no/minimal damage
- fairly easy to apply (gloves fit fine, don't know why people have been complaining)
- works well on roots

CONS:
- colour not true to box (doesn't lift well on darker hair)
- serum not necessary (i didn't use it)

i might update this if the colour changes in a week or two, however i'm not expecting much. if you have virgin dark hair you could probably try this to lift your colour, since my roots really did go from black to medium brown.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I bought this in Light Ash Brown 6A COOLER after years of using Clairol Nice n Easy (usually Root Touch Up and occasionally the permanent hair color)This was far easier to use by myself than the Clairol, but it made my scalp itch for 2 weeks and the color didn't last very long at all. For me, I really don't like the look of brassy reddish hair on Asian women, so I wasn't thrilled when the color seemed reddish in a few days. I wait 48-72 hours before my first hair wash after coloring and use Joico sulfate-free shampoo, but the color seems to go pretty fast. It's been 2.5 weeks and it looks like it's been 5-6 weeks since my last hair color! The grays show at the roots as if I hadn't colored 2-3 weeks ago. I followed all the directions and used all the stuff that came in the packaging. I left it on 15 minutes longer than the standard time to cover the gray roots. The Clairol is a lot messier/runnnier and harder to use by yourself, but the color lasts and I think the conditioner is nicer.

Pros - less messy, much easier prep and cleanup,
- nicer bottle and other tools to be used in application
- easier to use because it foams/thickens up on your scalp and seems to "spread" itself to every millimeter of your scalp and hair.

Cons - irritated and made my scalp itch for 2 weeks
- color did not last longer than 2 weeks
- even the "'ash"/"COOLER" shade becomes brassy and reddish in a week

I had really preferred the tools and everything in the package as I was using them and thought I was going to be switching from the Clairol for the future, but the result is unacceptable. I won't be buying this again.