February 1, 2015 | 1961 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Excellence Creme

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2015 3:32:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am doing a review for the L'oreal Excellence creme haircolor you can buy at Sally's. If you're unfamiliar, it is sold like a toothpaste tube, similar to the kind in some box dyes but it doesn't come with developer or the lovely addition of conditioner/gloves/easy-to-read directions.

The color I purchase is 8.43 Copper Blond (there may be a 'dark' or 'medium' adjective in there before the Copper but I can't remember, though you get the gist). So anyways, it's red but the swatch at Sally's was bright and orangey, much like my hair is now and I needed to touch up my roots.
I am like a roots nazi and HATE even an eighth of an inch of visibility esp with having naturally mousy blondish brownish reddish hair (formerly strawberry blonde, sigh) and vibrant copper orange lengths thus I have to touch up every two weeks or less.

So here's the problem:
at Sally's with my member card, it's 5.99 per tube.
Well I don't need to use the whole tube (my lengths are hennaed and due to prior excessive bleaching/color stripping, cannot be exposed to developer for too long), so I just need to use a little at a time but its nearly impossible.
The mixing ratio according to the box is 1.74 parts color to 2.5 parts developer. and unlike Ion brand, the tube doesn't have helpful guidelines imprinted on the tube so you can measure your ounces.

I tried risking it and just squirting out some color and guessing at the developer but it was a faint stain. So you can't reap the perks of buying it as a professional would for an as-needed basis because it's too difficult.

As for the color, I've read many complaints it comes out darker than the swatches or as described and this baffles me to no end. Hair all reacts differently, and the golden rule of coloring is to always go 1 to 2 shades lighter than your desired shade. Perhaps even 3 in this case because it is GEARED TOWARDS GRAY HAIR. i.e. potent colorant.

Anyways, truth be told I would prefer to buy Ion because I love that brand (plus, oddly enough it smells way better, like apples) and because Ion is a dollar less and again, has lines on the packaging for measuring so you can save product. But until they make my shade I'm sticking with L'oreals 8.43

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2015 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Taylorm3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

**Update**

I wanted to give an update on this product after one week. The color still looks very nice. It's a little darker than I would have expected for medium brown but I don't mind (maybe it just seems dark because I am so fair.) The downer is that my hair is a bit damaged. I've always had my hair professionally dyed and it looked very natural and my hair was never damaged so I am not sure I will continue with the box dye. I have pretty strong hair that is not easily damaged so the fact that my hair is noticeably damaged is a little discouraging. This brand is hard on your hair but it's designed to cover gray so it is more damaging. I may look for another brand that's less damaging and hope it covers my gray.

I did find the product easy to apply. I did not use the applicator. I bought a small paint brush and a tail comb and parted my hair in quarter inch sections and used the paint brush to apply making sure every piece of root was thoroughly saturated. I followed the instructions from a utube video and found this worked very well. The product did not drip at all and I did not find any areas that I missed

*****

I purchased the medium brown #5 and used it 2 days ago. no one has noticed I did my own hair which I think is a good sign. the color is a rich brown. hopefully it stays that way. I have a lot of gray and it appears to be covering it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Jlhenderson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a wonderful hair dye. After having black hair for awhile, I decided to return to my natural hair color, a dark, mousy blonde. Many harrowing attempts later, I arrived at a horrible orange-blonde color after bleaching it. So I purchased this dye in Dark Beige Blonde, and left it on for only fifteen minutes. It turned my hair the exact color I wanted it, with no trace of orange!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by moomoo84

This is the best at home hair colour I've ever used! The formula was so creamy and easy to use and it left my hair feeling so healthy and shiny..I was and still am amazed! I used dark chocolate brown and expected it to turn my hair black but it didn't..it was initially a very dark brown (borderline black) when I first coloured it but now it's softened to a chocolatey brown shade. I have a number of white hairs scattered throughout and it managed to cover all of them very nicely. So happy to know that I no longer have to spend hundreds going to the salon to get my hair coloured!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by threearmsally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this in shade 7: Natural Dark Blonde. My hair was about a level 9 light blonde before this and I wanted to take it down a few levels. What I ended up with however was a super ashy brunette color, around a level 5. It's not that the color is ugly, I actually like it and I'm going to keep it, but it's just not at all what I was expecting or aiming for. I was very surprised when I got out of the shower and saw myself in the mirror. After reading a few reviews I saw that many others have had the same experience. I would not recommend this dye to anyone, because it's not at all a blonde shade.

As for the dye and how it worked on my hair, it was actually very gentle and it left my hair soft and with a nice smell. That I did like.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by perisnale

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this review is for the shade 7 1/2 A, medium ash blonde. i had originally wanted to get natural ash blonde (which i believe is 8.1) but my cvs only had the 7.5, so i went with that as the closest.

previously i had dyed my hair about 4 weeks ago with the superior preference in 7 1/2 A and was rather disappointed with it. i've heard better reviews for the excellence creme in terms of covering more resistant hair (like mine) so i figured i would give it a shot. the reason i didn't go a shade lighter (as i had been previously considering) was that i've heard that going too light can often give a red cast to naturally dark/black hair, which i wanted to avoid.

before dying my hair was a medium brown, a little brassy in certain lights but slightly toned down by the superior preference. i'd say it was probably around a level 4.5, which was the result of three previous dyes with a japanese brand (my natural hair colour is a level 2 black). i was aiming for at least a level lighter, but immediately after dying my colour has only lifted about half a level. HOWEVER my roots, which had been black, are completely lifted to match the rest of the hair. i don't know if this means that the dye works better on virgin hair, or maybe the heat from my scalp helped process it better. i may try wrapping my hair up and blow drying it next time.

the smell of this dye is actually not bad at all, much better than the preference and really not noticeable to me. it is distinct but not unpleasant. the bottle was a little difficult to squeeze when the comb applicator was attached, but workable. i used half of the bottle for my slightly past chin length hair.

i started with my roots and left the dye in for 40 minutes after finishing application. i had minimal hair falling out, and after using the conditioner and some argan oil my hair is basically as soft/shiny as it was before.

PROS:
- smell is negligible
- no/minimal damage
- fairly easy to apply (gloves fit fine, don't know why people have been complaining)
- works well on roots

CONS:
- colour not true to box (doesn't lift well on darker hair)
- serum not necessary (i didn't use it)

i might update this if the colour changes in a week or two, however i'm not expecting much. if you have virgin dark hair you could probably try this to lift your colour, since my roots really did go from black to medium brown.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I bought this in Light Ash Brown 6A COOLER after years of using Clairol Nice n Easy (usually Root Touch Up and occasionally the permanent hair color)This was far easier to use by myself than the Clairol, but it made my scalp itch for 2 weeks and the color didn't last very long at all. For me, I really don't like the look of brassy reddish hair on Asian women, so I wasn't thrilled when the color seemed reddish in a few days. I wait 48-72 hours before my first hair wash after coloring and use Joico sulfate-free shampoo, but the color seems to go pretty fast. It's been 2.5 weeks and it looks like it's been 5-6 weeks since my last hair color! The grays show at the roots as if I hadn't colored 2-3 weeks ago. I followed all the directions and used all the stuff that came in the packaging. I left it on 15 minutes longer than the standard time to cover the gray roots. The Clairol is a lot messier/runnnier and harder to use by yourself, but the color lasts and I think the conditioner is nicer.

Pros - less messy, much easier prep and cleanup,
- nicer bottle and other tools to be used in application
- easier to use because it foams/thickens up on your scalp and seems to "spread" itself to every millimeter of your scalp and hair.

Cons - irritated and made my scalp itch for 2 weeks
- color did not last longer than 2 weeks
- even the "'ash"/"COOLER" shade becomes brassy and reddish in a week

I had really preferred the tools and everything in the package as I was using them and thought I was going to be switching from the Clairol for the future, but the result is unacceptable. I won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by redapples1949

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

As soon as my hair stylist told me I had to pay $97 to dye my asian black hair a reddish-brown hue with natural highlights, I knew it was time to hit up Walmart's hair dye aisle. I decided to go with L'Oreal Excellence Cream in 9A (Light Ash Blonde) because it had good reviews and promised to keep my then-virgin hair free of split ends and crackly dryness.

If theres one awful thing I can think of about virgin jet black asian hair, is that our hair is so dark that using brown or even light brown dyes wont have a visible effect under room lighting. YouTube gurus swore that using blond dye is the only way to lift the dark color without using bleach, so there I was, an asian girl waiting in the checkout line of my local Walmart, toting a near-platinum blond shade of box dye.

I was terrified when my mom started applying the dye in my hair.

But it worked! I left it on for about 40-45 minutes (just to make sure the dye really worked on my hair) with a showercap. The box comes with a comb applicator and a regular applicator; I used the regular applicator because my mom was the one dying my hair. The dye didnt smell terribly awful and didnt drip all over the place.

When I rinsed it, my hair still felt soft, and it was totally silky when I added the conditioner from the box (so it really does protect hair, keep it soft and healthy, and does all that it claims).

For a while, my hair was a hazelnut shade, but its been a month now and its faded to a gorgeous medium reddish brown with a hint of the hazelnut that it used to be.

Ill definitely use this line from L'Oreal to do my roots and maintain my color! And for those girls out there with stubbornly dark hair and want to lighten it -- dont be afraid to use blond dye. It worked for me. 😊

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by hchizuk

Abosolutely terrible!! Do NOT waste your money on this!

A while ago I dyed my hair blonder than it was naturally, so it was a golden light brown (two or so shades lighter than my normal hair color). I let it grow out and in a long time (two years almost to the date) and the ends of my hair were slightly lighter than the top. It gave me a very natural ombre look. So I wanted to ramp it up because after the years I grew it out the color faded. I bought this and hoped the blonde on the end of my hair would look even brighter than before! I picked out the natural blonde shade Excellence Creme by Loreal due to its high reviews and the color on the box. It was brighter than I wanted, but knowing how hair dye works I knew it would never really get that bright. My sister and I have dyed hair a lot, including ombre on her and a few of our friends so this was no new venture, and we followed all directions. So I only applied the color to the bottom of my hair to do an ombre effect like we have in the past. At first after dying I feared my hair was even DARKER. Then I looked at the pictures I had taken before veruses after to find out THERE WAS NO CHANGE AT ALL. My hair has always taken to every other dye I used, and this is my first dye in two years, so there is no reason it didn't take. Looking even closer the hair is just smoother and healither looking, a bit brassy. If I hold the end up to my roots you can see a difference, the difference of the color I put in two years ago. AWFUL. Do not buy. I'm going back to the store to BUY ANOTHER BRAND. Save yourself the dissappointment and the money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product every 2 months for 5 years now and I love it. (sometimes Target has a 2-pack you can save on) I use it to cover my grays, dying the same hair color as I was born with - medium to dark brown. The hair is never stripped, always silky, and I've yet to have a bad time with it. On the contrary the few times that I've ventured and tried another brand I'm always left disappointed and go back to my trusty Excellence Creme. The one downfall are the gloves, they pretty much suck so I got my own pack at Walmart and use those instead since I color my hair so often.