L'Oreal Excellence Creme

3.9

on 3/3/2015 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have dark blonde hair with 3 inches of regrowth. I had highlights that discolored and grew out. I had a mess of ugly colors from about 3 inches down to the ends. This made my beautiful, so soft, and a beautiful medium ash blonde. I used 7 1/2 A med ash blonde. It is gorgeous. My hair was greasy to start so before I used this I washed and dried my hair. Would definitely use this product again. Results were just want I wanted. Beautiful and well worth the price.

on 3/2/2015 5:28:00 PM

I used E1 Light Ash Brown with medium brown hair with previous dye (2 months old). My hair matched the 2nd swatch on the box exactly.

My complaint with this product is that the ash shades in this line only work with hair that is light to begin with, it will not cool brown hair in the slightest. Darken it a little, maybe, but not change warmth. For an ash shade, this was disappointing. I am aware you will not get lighter hair, but I expect if brown is a swatch on the box, it should cool the brown as it depicts, reduce some orange/red/brass tones at least somewhat. It should specify for blondes only if it can't manage that.

Now my hair appears more damaged for my trouble (leaning on long side of 30 min as instructed), and exact same shade I started with. Trying Perfect 10 in a month, or going to salon.

on 2/25/2015 5:08:00 PM

I had been dying my hair dark red for one year with Wella Color Charm and I was tired of the constant root upkeep. I wanted to go back to my natural dirty blonde color, so I used Color Oops twice to get rid of the red. It mostly worked, but left me with some red brassy tones still. Add on the Sun-Spray that I used on top of those to lighten my hair (because who doesn't want lighter hair?), and I had a hot strawberry blonde mess. I used Excellence Cream in 8.5A Champagne Blonde with the expectation that it wouldn't lighten my hair, but tone down the strawberry brassy mess. It met my expectation. My color is the same as the third swatch down on the box. I'm pleased!

on 2/23/2015 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My biggest issue with this product is the color stains on skin and difficult to remove even though I have put Vaseline on the face, neck and arms before.

on 2/20/2015 7:39:00 PM

I have naturally very dark brown Asian hair to begin with, and I have used this product for about 2 years now. After going after a variety of blonds in the range to lighten my dark hair, I have finally settled for the Natural Copper Blonde B04. This colour gives me a nice medium warm brown colour to my hair, and does significantly lighten my hair. In order for this to work, I usually need to wait for over an hour. Otherwise the colour will not show much at all. But when I do have the patience to leave it on for a long time, it gives me the colour I want.

The colour stays on very nicely, without being washed away quickly. I find the red tone sticks with me until about 3 months after, when my hair will become a little brassy, but in general still has a nice reddish copper tint to it, which I love. I find that right after dying my hair with this, my hair will be stiff and dry for a few days, but it soon recovers. This happens every time I use it. I don't do particular hair treatments to my hair, I just use the conditioner that comes with the dye on a daily basis until I run out of it.

The dye comes with a pre-hair dye serum that you apply to your hair before you dye it, and leave it on for a few minutes. I find the conditioner quite nice, as it does moisturize my hair nicely after, and the texture is nice and thick, without it feeling like a coat of weird stuff on my hair even after I rinse it off. Also, the hair dye does not smell too bad, it also has a nice scent on top of the ammonia odour to kind of mask it nicely, I also like the texture of the hair dye very much, as there is no dripping and no mess every time. Unlike the L'Oreal Preference, which drips everywhere...

I give this 4 lippies, mostly because it could be more effective, like the L'Oreal Feria. The Feria lightens my hair and puts colour on much faster than this one does. But it is also more expensive than the Excellence Creme.

Here is a video demo that I did, feel free to fast forward it to about the 2 minute mark to see how I apply it, and how it turns out in the end.

on 1/26/2015 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am doing a review for the L'oreal Excellence creme haircolor you can buy at Sally's. If you're unfamiliar, it is sold like a toothpaste tube, similar to the kind in some box dyes but it doesn't come with developer or the lovely addition of conditioner/gloves/easy-to-read directions.

The color I purchase is 8.43 Copper Blond (there may be a 'dark' or 'medium' adjective in there before the Copper but I can't remember, though you get the gist). So anyways, it's red but the swatch at Sally's was bright and orangey, much like my hair is now and I needed to touch up my roots.
I am like a roots nazi and HATE even an eighth of an inch of visibility esp with having naturally mousy blondish brownish reddish hair (formerly strawberry blonde, sigh) and vibrant copper orange lengths thus I have to touch up every two weeks or less.

So here's the problem:
at Sally's with my member card, it's 5.99 per tube.
Well I don't need to use the whole tube (my lengths are hennaed and due to prior excessive bleaching/color stripping, cannot be exposed to developer for too long), so I just need to use a little at a time but its nearly impossible.
The mixing ratio according to the box is 1.74 parts color to 2.5 parts developer. and unlike Ion brand, the tube doesn't have helpful guidelines imprinted on the tube so you can measure your ounces.

I tried risking it and just squirting out some color and guessing at the developer but it was a faint stain. So you can't reap the perks of buying it as a professional would for an as-needed basis because it's too difficult.

As for the color, I've read many complaints it comes out darker than the swatches or as described and this baffles me to no end. Hair all reacts differently, and the golden rule of coloring is to always go 1 to 2 shades lighter than your desired shade. Perhaps even 3 in this case because it is GEARED TOWARDS GRAY HAIR. i.e. potent colorant.

Anyways, truth be told I would prefer to buy Ion because I love that brand (plus, oddly enough it smells way better, like apples) and because Ion is a dollar less and again, has lines on the packaging for measuring so you can save product. But until they make my shade I'm sticking with L'oreals 8.43

on 1/1/2015 11:41:00 PM

**Update**

I wanted to give an update on this product after one week. The color still looks very nice. It's a little darker than I would have expected for medium brown but I don't mind (maybe it just seems dark because I am so fair.) The downer is that my hair is a bit damaged. I've always had my hair professionally dyed and it looked very natural and my hair was never damaged so I am not sure I will continue with the box dye. I have pretty strong hair that is not easily damaged so the fact that my hair is noticeably damaged is a little discouraging. This brand is hard on your hair but it's designed to cover gray so it is more damaging. I may look for another brand that's less damaging and hope it covers my gray.

I did find the product easy to apply. I did not use the applicator. I bought a small paint brush and a tail comb and parted my hair in quarter inch sections and used the paint brush to apply making sure every piece of root was thoroughly saturated. I followed the instructions from a utube video and found this worked very well. The product did not drip at all and I did not find any areas that I missed

*****

I purchased the medium brown #5 and used it 2 days ago. no one has noticed I did my own hair which I think is a good sign. the color is a rich brown. hopefully it stays that way. I have a lot of gray and it appears to be covering it.

on 12/14/2014 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a wonderful hair dye. After having black hair for awhile, I decided to return to my natural hair color, a dark, mousy blonde. Many harrowing attempts later, I arrived at a horrible orange-blonde color after bleaching it. So I purchased this dye in Dark Beige Blonde, and left it on for only fifteen minutes. It turned my hair the exact color I wanted it, with no trace of orange!

on 11/9/2014 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the best at home hair colour I've ever used! The formula was so creamy and easy to use and it left my hair feeling so healthy and shiny..I was and still am amazed! I used dark chocolate brown and expected it to turn my hair black but it didn't..it was initially a very dark brown (borderline black) when I first coloured it but now it's softened to a chocolatey brown shade. I have a number of white hairs scattered throughout and it managed to cover all of them very nicely. So happy to know that I no longer have to spend hundreds going to the salon to get my hair coloured!

on 10/31/2014 4:36:00 PM

I used this in shade 7: Natural Dark Blonde. My hair was about a level 9 light blonde before this and I wanted to take it down a few levels. What I ended up with however was a super ashy brunette color, around a level 5. It's not that the color is ugly, I actually like it and I'm going to keep it, but it's just not at all what I was expecting or aiming for. I was very surprised when I got out of the shower and saw myself in the mirror. After reading a few reviews I saw that many others have had the same experience. I would not recommend this dye to anyone, because it's not at all a blonde shade.

As for the dye and how it worked on my hair, it was actually very gentle and it left my hair soft and with a nice smell. That I did like.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

L'Oreal Paris Excellence Creme "G" Dark Brown Hair Dye Review Brown to Black by Apollo-milkchocolate

(Demo) How to Dye Dark Hair into Light Warm Brown at Home | JJ BeautyRoom by JJ BeautyRoom