April 16, 2014 | 1967 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Excellence Creme

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

Having been coloring my grays for many moons, I usually gravitate towards a semi permanent color but the shade I love just happened to come in this permanent option. I took a chance. I made the commitment. Hey, it’s a great shade, Iced Chocolate, a deep, lush dark brown with loads of depth. Now the real test was how the color performed. Excellence comes with a protector to apply to the ends before coloring so the color does not “grab” to dry areas. This was a nice feature. I generally don’t apply the color to the ends until the last 10-15 minutes of coloring anyway but I felt like I had extra insurance from extra dark ends. And the deep conditioner was okay. My hair was left shiny and I did achieve almost 100% gray coverage. I will keep on using this product as long they make this color or until I get bored with it. Or L’Oreal changes it (which is what happened to the last color product I loved!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 7:17:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Thrilled! Finally, a drugstore hair color that covered my grays and managed to lift my base color. I've tried to color my hair at home many times with generally mediocre results. Despite all products claiming "100% Gray Coverage" almost all have disappointed in this area. I don't even have that many grays but the few I do simply wouldn't take. I found a box of L'Oreal Excellence Hair Color in 6R (light auburn) in my linen closet last week. Rather than spend upwards of $75 for a single process and blow dry at the salon I went the DIY route. The package comes with 2 applicator tips. One is the traditional point tip for getting areas along hairline. The other is a comb that attaches to the bottle and allows you to cover a wider swath of hair. This really came in handy as I have long, thick hair. The directions say to leave the product on longer for covering resistant grays so I let it process for upwards of 45 minutes. I was very pleased to see that both my roots and grays were no where to be seen once I was done. The color I got was exactly what I wanted as well : a medium copper/auburn shade. I will definitely be reaching for Excellence the next time I color my hair at home which will be more often. Added bonuses: no annoying smell, minimal dripping, inexpensive - goes on sale all the time at the drugstore and coupons are in the Sunday paper on a regular basis.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2014 2:31:00 AM More reviews by jianing23

Its pretty good for a drugstore hair dye and for the price.
I bought Dark brown "G" and i was dying my hair from a medium brown shade +black roots.
i wanted something dark brown but close to my natural hair color but when i dyed it turned like pitch black, jet black with a hint of brown after the first day.
My experience with this hair dye previously is that the color is weird the first two days but after a day or two it gets closer to the box shade.
does dry my hair out and when i rinsed out the dye, did notice more than the normal amount of hair loss. Color was very even, even for the regrowth part

over all i purchased it for 8$, good price for this product however there are tons of products that can do better with similar pricing
i would recommend the feria series in stead, less smell when dying and leaves your hair in better condition than this

check out my video on the dye before and after :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by breaodell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had bleached and toned my hair from a level 3 red brown to a level 8 strawberry blonde and after a few weeks I had regrowth and more red tones. I used the colour BB soft light natural blonde and it lifted my hair to a level 9 and its a shiny gorgeous light warm blonde. I love this product and will definitely repurchase. I didnt even have to use bleach on my regrowth!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by eono88

I bought and tried the L'Oreal Excellence Cream #4 Dark Brown. I usually use a Japanese brand but thought I'd try this out because it was easy to get and it was cheap. This made my hair completely JET BLACK. Even in the sun my hair was black. I was so disappointed. The color was nothing like the box. My hair before was caramel brown, and some parts of my hair were almost blonde. I'm not sure why my hair came out with barely any hint of brown. I've been doing the vitamin C/clarifying treatment to lift some of the hair dye. So far it has lifted a shade or two, and it is now showing hints of brown, but this dye is really hard to get rid of. I guess that's a good thing if you really liked your color.

I give two stars for not damaging my hair as much as other hair dyes I've used. It made my hair shiny and felt moisturized. The packaging is pretty standard as any other hair dye. Also I had to buy two boxes (my hair goes down past my mid back). One was definitely not enough, but two was plenty. The smell was pretty bad, very chemical-y, which lingered in my hair for couple days. It also burned my scalp for the first 20 minutes of applying. This dye is really long lasting, it doesn't seem like it will fade fast. For me I'm hoping it will fade to more of a brown hair color in a month or two, and I'll go back to using my old brand for the summer. Sadly I don't think I'm going to be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by AshYvonne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is my very first time writing a product review, so please bear with me!
My hair is damaged, to say the least. In the span of a year, I've gone from overly highlighted blond, to a lovely dark brown, then to a bleached mess (done at home, like a fool), and finally to a somewhat believable medium blonde.
Of course, as beauty addicts are apt to do, I craved a change. So I headed to the nearest drugstore and purchase two boxes (I've shoulder length, very thick hair) of L'oreal Excellence Creme in Medium Golden Brown. I'm somewhat of a hair color novice, but the process was not all that difficult. This is a creme formula, so it's noticeably thicker than the traditional formulas I've tried in the past. Interesting to note is the inclusion of a small tube of pre-color serum, which I applied to my (very) damaged ends as instructed. My hair is slow to process, so I amped the recommended processing time up to forty minutes and then hopped in the shower to rinse. Like most haircolors, the smell wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't unbearable either. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest. The lower six inches of my hair are still fairly fried, though it's not nearly as bad as it was four or so months ago when I decided to play hair stylist and bleach my own hair. Due to the damage, most haircolor initially takes, then quickly fades out within a weeks time. I'm happy to say that Excellence Creme proved to be a pleasant surprise! It's been two weeks since I colored my hair, and the color remains just as pretty and vibrant as it did initially. As a plus, my hair actually feels a touch healthier than it did previously. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2013 11:37:00 AM More reviews by confusedgirl411

I tried the L'Oreal Excellence Creme CC1 Soft Medium Ash Blonde on shoulder length hair. I had half virgin hair growth and half previously highlighted growth on ends.I have a dark shade of ash-blonde Level 5-6 in the professional world. (You can look up levels on the Internet) I left dye in for recommended time plus 10 min's for grey time to ensure product would color my hair properly.

My advice would be to get 2 boxes as I only got one box when using this product, I don't know if it was the fact of not using 2 boxes or the dye it self but it left a some what copper tone to my hair, that ends up drying to a blond with light copper. It looks like a ash blonde in real sun but under yellow light it looks very copperish.

I used John Frieda’s Sheer Blonde Color toner (Shampoo & conditioner) to tone down the copper in the color, it changed it slightly then I used conditioner (Any type, any color) and put blue food coloring in it stirred it VERY well making a paste and put it in my hair, washed it, it also toned it down a bit.

The product was easy on my hair and comes with special treatment for damaged hair, which was pretty neat. Neither the front or side of the box was accurate AT ALL, with the results I had obtained.

I liked the cream texture it came it, it was easier to apply because of this, which I did myself.

The special applicator that came with it is a piece of garbage I found it harder to use the tool then the regular applicator bottle (This is my 1st time dying my hair myself)

The smell was pretty awful compared to the salon highlighting product. It is the second day and It smells pretty funky.

Although I was completely shocked to find out that a woman used this product over and over again and died from various problems. Because of P-Phenylendamine I guess i should of known since it seemed there was alerts everywhere on the sheet in big red letter's to do allergy testing almost excessively. They want you to put a blob of it on your skin and let it dry for 48 hours prior to dying. You can do this by adding a little bit of dye and colorant mixing it in a bowl and applying as a first skin/strand test.

It was pretty pricey for ending up with coppery hair. It is the second day and still pretty coppery I will be trying another treatment of purple shampoo and if it doesn't lift enough to my satisfaction I will go and use L'Oreal Brass Banisher and hope for the best.

Overall I wouldn't use this product again, I don't like copper in my hair and the possible danger is not worth it to me. I think I will be sticking to more natural made dyes from now on. This product claims it is a "Ash" product which I feel is a lie. There is no ash in this product more coppery blonde so "Soft Medium Ash Blonde" technically is a bunch of crock and should be changed on the box.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Kayyc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am extremely displeased with this product! The product is actually still in my hair as I type this. It's supposed to only be in your hair for 30 minutes but I have left it in for 50 hoping that it would change my hair color and it hasn't. I didn't do my whole head I just was doing my roots, I'm not trying to cover up grey I'm just trying to cover up my dark blonde roots! I can't imagine this ever covering up greys. I will not buy this product again. I've waisted $15.00 and now I will have to spend another $15.00 on another product that will hopefully actually dye my hair. Buy this product at your own risk! I do not recommend using this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by lorena88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had previously tried to lighten my hair and it had turned really brassy and was too gold for my liking. I picked up the shade champagne blonde with the hopes that this cooler shade would tone down the brassiness. My hair was also pretty damaged and fragile and I was scared to re dye it again but I went ahead and did it and I am so happy I did! It toned down the brassiness and gold and made it slightly darker blonde- which was fine by me. It looks natural and my hair isn't totally fried liked I thought it would be. I have used other hair dyes and they made my head sting and burn when I applied it. This was pretty gentle. I will use this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by glamchick17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This made my scalp itch and made my hair feel dirty even after washing it. The color was so dull looking. I used dark brown, It almost looked like a dark gray/blue tone to it. Very horrible color washed me out.