April 17, 2014 | 1748 users online

Highlighters - Smashbox - Soft Lights - Smashing Tint

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by pinkwatermelon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all, HAS THIS BEEN DISCONTINUED?

I've been trying to look for this everywhere. I love this! It's an all around highlighter / blush / slight bronzer that I use for that "soft glow" on my face. Works well specially when I have very dull skin or I want to keep makeup simple, but wanted a nice glow on me. I put it over my blush or over bronzer, and sometimes, just by itself. It really looks gorgeous on your skin, and I have been complimented a lot using this. Even gay friends compliment "whatever that is on your face is nice". Haha! It's THAT nice. It's my go-to product, and I have to admit it's HG for me. Price is pretty steep, but hey, I have mine for almost two years now, I've hit the pan but I still have some..that's why I'm looking for this everywhere but I hardly see it on stands now! Anybody know where I can get this??

The screw top lid is..so-so. I have no problems with it but I don't bring around the stuff with me everywhere either because I find it's not convenient. I heard this easily breaks when you drop it, but I've been pretty careful with mine so it's still intact.

For reference, I have NC30-35 asian skin, with yellow undertones. I find this also goes very nicely on paler complexions!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tint is one of those vaguely interesting but hard to define products for me. It looks like a slightly rose tinted peachy beige in the pan (and lets be honest beige can be boring at first glance) and it's not until you get this on the skin that it really comes alive. Hints of gold, bronze and warm pink shimmer that gives a subtle glow - not frosty, metallic or glittery. But noticeable!
I use this as a combination highlighter/blush - I like to layer it over a colour cream base or cool toned powder blush and see how it changes the original shade. It can be layered successfully as a blush (or bronzer if you're pale enough) or swept very lightly over select areas (or the entire face if you're going out at night?). As a highlighter, it's very subtle - most of my highlighters tend to be paler or more frosted and this is very warm and quite pigmented, despite it being much closer to my actual skin tone that what I usually use to highlight.
The 10g pan is very generous, maybe a little powdery but nothing I can't handle. My one dislike is the wide, shallow screw cap jar - it's a pain to use compared to a simple flip top compact. There are no "fancy" unneeded extras, no useless scratchy brush or teeny mirror but there is no buffer if you drop it or bang it around - it's going to crumble or break. A lot of products would, so I'm not going to dock points for it but as long as you treat it carefully, it should be fine.
I know Soft Lights Fusions can be used as eyeshadows, not sure about these but I'd feel comfy using this as a brow highlight, just in the arch. Tint is really warm, so it's not going to work for everyone - though there are a number of cooler (and pinker) Soft Lights to choose from.
Overall, a really flattering (on the right skin tone) multi-purpose product at reasonable value for money. Hard to beat!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2011 6:16:00 PM More reviews by glitzypink

I got this for free on the Smashbox website during one of their "Tues/Thurs Let's Do Lunch" promos. (which is why for me, it was dirt cheap :P) Honestly I don't use any sort of "highlighter" on my cheeks, so when I got it, I decided to try it as a highlighter for my browbone. Now I use it every day to give a natural accent to my eye shadow without looking overpowering or too shiny. So, if you find it doesn't do the trick for your face, try your eyes! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by marendas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Beautiful peach/beige/bronze color. Unfortunately, like other reviewers, it's too close to my natural skin tone to do much for me as a blush or a highlighter. I only spent a few dollars for the mini size on ebay, so for what I spent I still like the product. I'll use it as a very subtle blush for those days when I wear a bold lip color. If you're in the NC20-25 range, be warned: this product is going to be extremely subtle on you!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Didn't show up at all on my NC20 skin at least as a highlighter : / I was disappointed. Okay as a blush but nothing special. Would be better for darker-toned gals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

The good news about this product is that it really lives up to its name. I love Smashbox highlighters, they are very fine powders that give you more of a luminous sheen than an obnoxious, glittery mess like some highlighters do.

"Tint" is a shimmery, peachy-gold color, which is GREAT. . . except it doesn't show up on my NC25 skin very well. I think it may be because it's so close to my natural skin tone that it doesn't really show up as a highlighter on me, it just shows up as a pretty shine if I turn my face. If you're darker than me, this may function as a really beautiful highlighter that's noticeably lighter than your skin, but it just doesn't work on me that way. Still, I got it at a discount price so I'll keep it around and use it just for fun.

Also, it's important to notice that while this product is in a semi-pressed form, it's actually quite crumbly. I couldn't dab my normal brushes into it without wrecking it, so I had to find a brush fan (from the art store) and brush it gently across the top of the product. On the bright side, while the packaging is kind of boring, it's simple and efficient, and looks very easy to carry around if you wanted to bring it with you on a trip.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A bit more powdery than I would have preferred- ie it crumbles a bit too much when you sweep a brush across it, and if applied too heavily it ends up making my face look powdery, which I do not think is a very cute look. The shade, though, is a flattering peachy highlight gold color. Not too glittery looking, which is my number one concern in a facial highlighter. That said, the color is very subtle, it doesn't show up on my skin TOO much, and I can't really layer it on, as I mentioned, for fear of becoming a powder-beast. It just kind of has a very subtle effect, which is okay with me, actually, I think over the top highlighting/contouring looks weird and unnatural (sorry if that's your thing). I wear it on my cheekbones, forehead, and a swipe on my nose, then apply blush. I'm glad I only paid 10 bucks for this (on ACW.com) for this price I'd repurchase, but not for full price. Also: I don't like the packaging. It looks fine, but the lid is a screw-top, and I'm horrible about putting things back on. My fault mostly but it would've been nice if they'd made a flip-top instead (ie like MACs blushes). Anyway, I'm giving it a yes for repurchase despite not being entirely blown away, b/c I do think it's a nice highlighter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 12:19:00 AM More reviews by loveableqtpie212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite highlighters. I don't really use it as a highlighter most of the time though, but as an eyeshadow. I'm nc42/tan skin and it gives a nice sheer wash of peachy-pink color with a slight (not frosty) shimmer. I have a lot of neutral e/s and none of them give me the same look. I guess it's because the powder has a really soft, smooth texture, so it just blends into my skin. It also has a nice fine shimmer, not coarse or gritty at all, which makes it really wearable for daytime. As a highlighter, it gives a very soft candle-lit glow to my skin. Even though the powder itself is a peachy-pink color, the shimmer is a warm peachy-gold color, making it flattering on my yellow toned skin. Normally any pinkish highlighter will look a little ashy/off on my skin, but this just looks like a healthy glow. Try it! like the other reviews mentioned, it's very easy to find on e-bay for cheap, and if you happen to fall in love with it as an e/s too, it will be an ever greater value.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by sshep0904

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I do like this i guess some people use this as a highlight but i like it as a blush.Which im an Nc 35 at mac and it works for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Didinett1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like. Prettier on the skin than on the pan. Irridescent peachy color. Got it from ebay for a portion of the real price ($6 shpping included), but I got the mini version that looks like the blush. Don't think I would buy the big one.