November 29, 2014 | 1677 users online

Lipstick - Estee Lauder - Pure Color Crystal Lipstick in Tiramisu

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

You might think a drugstore-brand makeup gal would be easy to impress, but "meh" is my experience with this Estee Lauder lipstick. Against my skin tone there is a mild bronze-pink tone to Estee Lauder Pure Color Crystal Lipstick in "Tiramisu". Tiramisu wears like a satin nude on me whereas I had hoped it would appear more pigmented than it does.

I very much prefer Estee Lauder's use of the traditional round lipstick tubes. EL lipsticks of this type fit nicely in my vintage lipstick caddy better than my other round lipsticks that are packaged in broader tubes (Revlon, etc.). What I dislike about this and other Estee Lauder lipsticks, in general, is the cloying fragrance and chemical taste. There is another lipstick I reviewed recently with a gold shimmer to it that I also think smells/tastes particularly bad. Upon purchasing this Estee Lauder lipstick, I suddenly appreciate what I find so objectionable about the other: Estee Lauder's trademark lipstick fragrance is somewhat duplicated by Wet 'N Wild's "Dark Pink Frost"! (Wet 'N Wild may be a tad more fruity, otherwise they're similar.)

Aside from Wet 'N Wild's Megalast Salon Nail Enamels, which I love, I am not a Wet 'N Wild fan. Mostly that is because I don't like the cheap packaging and, with respect to Wet 'N Wild's lip colors, the fragrance. Still, I put up with all the negatives for the sake of one gorgeous lip color Wet 'N Wild makes: Dark Pink Frost. It is a pink-mauve with a gold finish that actually manages to show up against my fair skin.

Wet 'N Wild's Dark Pink Frost is not really a direct color comparison in that Tiramisu is more of a coppery/bronze pink whereas the Wet 'N Wild shade is more lilac. I bring this up only because for as much as I love and collect lipstick colors with gold rather than the more typical silvery finishes, they tend to disappoint in that most of them are too sheer to provide the color payoff I expect. I own just about every drugstore brand to feature a gold finish in recent years, but in turning to EL's Tiramisu I thought I might improve upon pigmentation. As it turns out, Wet 'N Wild's Dark Pink Frost still provides the better pigmentation.

I appreciate that a Wet 'N Wild-Estee Lauder lipstick comparison seems ridiculous on the face of it, but bear with me for one more observation: Wet 'N Wild's Dark Pink Frost is a near match for the silky feel of Tiramisu. Where Wet 'N Wild's take on a gold-finish lip color differs pertains to deformation. I currently own two shades of EL Pure Crystal Color and both are among the softest I have encountered bordering on the consistency of room-temperature butter! Brand new, my EL Crystal Color Lipsticks in Tiramisu and Ripe Papaya are scraped up by the interior of the tube. I have never seen a lipstick in any price range so poorly formulated to resist the environmental conditions of a warm handbag or hot climate during the summer months. Tiramisu feels like a lip balm gliding on, which makes for a luxurious feel, but unlike its rock-bottom drugstore competitor it needs yet lacks the durability of a "true lipstick" consistency.

The off-putting sensation that a lipstick may break during application or melt if left in my handbag is a deal breaker for me. Until now, I had forgotten why I have owned only two other EL lip colors in the past. For the sake of the right color I would put up with all the negatives but Tiramisu is too sheer. My search for an HG gold-finish lipstick continues.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by babylipss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this as a gift from my aunt. The price is pretty expensive as I'm in school and can't afford to pay $26 for a lipstick! I am NC37 currently and it's a great everyday natural color! Its MLBB. If I really layer it on it makes my lips look slightly darker and oh-so pretty. When I'm running late to class, I'll put this on really quick in the car and some mascara and I'll be fine. The packaging is really cute, I do enjoy it. The smell is rather odd, and I can't put my finger on it. It gets annoying to me sometimes, but I tolerate it. It lasts rather long if you put on a clear gloss or any pink gloss over it but if its alone it may last up to three or three and a half hours. You do get a nice amount of product. I use it about four days a week and had it since this summer and after ten months, I still have tons of product left. I do recommend if you have the money to waste and want a beautiful MLBB color you dont have to think twice about to throw on. I'm a drugstore gal at heart and I love NYX and Rimmel and even if I had the money, I'd probably use it on Mac or NYX.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 9:30:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

HG!! Got this for my mother for Xmas & liked it so much on her that I got it for myself this month. My father liked it at Macys, he helped me pick it out. It was between Tiramisu & Hot Kiss but I ended up w Hot Kiss in the Xmas 2013 PWP so I have both. The price is a bit steep but oh-so-worth it coz when you swipe this on your lips from the beautiful tube you will feel like a million bucks! It feels rich & decadent on the lips & is the abso perfect MLBB shade. Perfection in a tube. If I feel sad I swipe this on for an instant pick me up & feel prettier instantaneously. Now this is some seriously good stuff. I will def repurchase!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

I fell for the hype and bought this online without seeing it in store. I wasn't aware that you can actually get cheap former-GWP lipsticks on Amazon and Ebay without having to buy the full priced product. So I bought Tiramisu for $5.00 in the plain plastic GWP packaging. I thought that at least this way if I didn't like it then I wouldn't feel guilty for getting rid of it.

Tiramisu is one of those lipsticks that you don't realize you have been searching until you find it. The color is so simple yet has a little shimmer about it which gives it an edge over other similar colors. The lipstick itself is sheer which means that it just gives the barest hint of color while allowing your natural lip color to show through. I love my lips to look natural yet pretty and prefer colors like this over lipsticks with more color or pigment.

This is a winner for me and likely to be something I am never without. The shimmer is not too over the top, in fact when you wear this lipstick you might not even realize that it has shimmer. The shimmer is so well done that it makes your lips look fuller without being really visible.

This is not a long lasting color, you do have to apply this often but with a color so sheer it really doesn't matter to me. I don't even need a mirror to apply. Ladies who prefer rich color and dramatic lips may think this lipstick is boring, but for me this is a HG.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 10:54:00 PM More reviews by 4Bella

Lightly sheer, everyday lipstick. With one application, lips look simply more defined yet very natural. It feels like you are wearing good quality, smooth, hydrating lip gloss.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by heatherbelleday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love the colour of this lipstick. I was looking for a pale colour that would not wash me out, and this is it - it has just enough slight shimmer and peachy pink tones. The packaging is gorgeous. Here in New Zealand it is ridiculously expensive. Also, I find it slightly drying. But I do love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 4:54:00 AM More reviews by cocostar89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the product of Estee Lauder, Perfect natural, rosy-peach color! my boyfriend also like the color on my lip. he said it's more sexy for me to use this. lol

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by mandagangsta20

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this from my aunt, but I believe full size is $32CAD. The colour is so pretty! It is a pinky-mauve with a lot of shimmer. But don't be fooled with the shimmer! Once you put it on your lips, there is very subtle shimmer. The consistency is very much like a Revlon Lip Butter, but you don't have to exfoliate. SIGHHHHHHHHH.......BUTTERYYYYYYY!!!!!! Anyway, I'm almost positive I have seen a dupe for this from Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick, but I don't know the name! SORRY!! This lasted pretty long for a moisturizing lipstick. About 3-4 hours if you don't eat anything. Only downside is that my lipstick squished in half and I can't get it back together! Its ok.....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Finally made the acquaintance of a good Estee Lauder lipstick. If you read my other Estee reviews, you'll see that I DETEST the brand's lipsticks. This is a winner!
The formula is light, sheer, comfortable, does not feel cakey, thick, or annoyingly slide off. Very sheer (in a good way). You are basically getting a flattering gleam that finishes off your look, without looking overdone in the slightest. I WILL repurchase! Whew!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by AmandaHW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First off, let me start with the smell. Yes, this has that typical Estee Lauder Pure Color line smell that is in all of their Pure Color lipsticks and glosses. It is hard to described, but to me it smells a little fruity with an undercurrent of a bit of waxy smell (waxy as in it reminds me of those plastic fangs you get at Halloween time). I am sensitive to some scents in Lipsticks, but this one does not bother me.

The texture of the Pure Color Line is great, very smooth and hydrating. Not a long lasting lipstick by any stretch, but as long lasting as any other on me (2-3 hours). I have found a couple other colors in this line (some of the newest ones that came out with the luminizers) that are almost gritty, but most of them are not and Tiramisu is no exception.

As for the color, it truly is gorgeous. A beautiful peachy sheer with pink undertones. It is a great "everyday" color. This won't be the color that will knock your socks off, but it will be the color that you notice yourself wearing all the time.

Overall, I highly recommend this lipstick. At $25 it isn't super pricey, but it isn't exactly cheap either...still for this gorgeous color and formulation if I ever run out I would definitely repurchase.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No