November 25, 2014 | 1844 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Mahora

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by threecats

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In 2000, I attended a NYC party to introduce Mahora. Each attendee got a bottle of the EDP. The EDP was always different (and better) than the EDT. I have heard the EDT of Mahora was reissued in 2006 as a much more expensive Guerlain fragrance, Mayotte, which came in the glass Bee bottle. Here are the notes for Mayotte, then for Mahora, as per Fragrantica. Mayotte: Top notes neroli and frangipani; middle notes tuberose, indian jasmine and ylang-ylang; base notes sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver. Mahora: The fragrance features orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base. At this 2000 Mahora launch, Jean-Paul Guerlain was there, as Mahora was his creation. He introduced attendees to the woman who was his inspiration for this sexy, dark tuberose--his girlfriend. A chic, tall, slim, silver-tressed woman in her early Sixties appeared at his side (and to much applause, as I recall). JPG totally won me over that night, not just with his personal charm and stunning new fragrance, but for the way he demonstrated his love for a beautiful age-appropriate woman.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Smells very dated and "of a certain time" even though it was only released on 2000. Would be easy to mistake for something from the 80s. Irritable to the nose and swirls like a cloud around your head. If memory serves me right its in the same vein a Nahema. Certainly not up to Guerlains standards.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by lisat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG, this is sand and sable from my teen years!! I can't believe it, it smells exact. I liked it after I sprayed it on but the drydown just smells cheap. Yuck.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 9:15:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you're looking for an amazing oriental with a big O, try Mahora...
It is sooo changeable, you might think that this is a totaly different perfume than the one you've put on in the morning...
it takes hours to develope a sensuous scent of tuberose and almonds, a scent I have not senced anywhere else....
heavy,heavy 70ties composition, thougt the perfume is quite ''young''...
if you like tuberose, but hate Fracas,Panthere and other Tuberose giants, this might work for you...
i love it and admire it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 8:00:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This came out very spicy with carnation notes on my skin. It stayed spicy as tuberose poked its head through. The spiciness continued to evolve to a carnation/nutmeg and then it fell flat, like the life was sucked out of it, and it just died on my skin. Also became a headache-inducer as it died its slow carnation death.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2010 2:52:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a love-it or hate-it kinda deal. Mahora is a big white floral--BIG tuberose! It's similar to Fracas, but with tropical supporting notes. I think it's gorgeous after about the first half hour. My husband also likes this and unlike Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia (another big white floral) he does not get a headache from this one. I personally prefer it to Fracas; its creaminess is more sensual and snuggly. As far as the comparison to Blonde, Blonde is rather vulgar and lacks the creaminess of Mahora, Fracas and EL Tuberose Gardenia. Like most tuberose fragrances, Mahora is not for the meek! Draws or rather demands compliments. Go gently with the spray bottle, or dab it on. As far as the packaging, I think the bottle's as nice/nicer than many other mainstream Guerlains. Mayotte comes in the prettier Les Parisiennes bee bottle, but with a price over $200.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2010 4:47:00 AM More reviews by tweetyli1

I received Mahora in the mail today and anxiously awaited my transport to a beautiful tropical island. After the first spray I noted coconut and an indistinct fruity smell that quickly evaporated. Then it turned to tuberose and maybe gardenia, definitely shouting white flowers. I was hoping for something more, more complex middle notes or a drydown with depth but on my skin it just didn't happen. It was linear all the way. Though it is pleasant enough I could find other fragrances like Sand and Sable that aren't as expensive and smell as good or better on my skin. I'll try again tomorrow to see if it becomes more nuanced. At least on my dry skin it isn't overpowering. Maybe as the weather warms up it will bloom on me?

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2010 12:35:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

"Sand and Sable" ring a bell? Mahora (2000) must be a COMPLETE rip-off of Sand & Sable by Coty (1983). It was a staple at drugstores in the 80s, my friend in elementary school wore this regularly. Yes, I did like that fragrance then, but this IS definitely a bit overwhelming. Mahora smells so much like Sand & Sable, that I can't hardly even begin to characterize it or dissect the notes. I'm not getting a strong tuberose yet, it is so overwhelmed by these WHITE FLORALS YELLING IN MY FACE!!! ;)
Since I have no idea what frangipani smells like, I won't say that this is what I'm smelling, but I honestly don't even detect the tuberose. I was expecting heavy, tropical, but all I got was a high-end version of Sand & Sable. Not huge fan. Maybe the dry-down will be better, if so, I will update in about 12 hours or so... I'm willing to wait!

UPDATE: It has that ridiculous, relentless sillage like nectary Amarige. I don't get any incense, unfortunately, a break from this too-sweet, fakey floral nectar would be nice. What with the migraine that was "Sa Majeste" yesterday, I had to wash off Mahora when I felt that coming on again... yes, I love perfumes. Yes, I get migraines from them if they're too loud and obnoxious. And yes.... I did have to wash it off... I just couldn't 'mahore it up' anymore... (bad joke)
*Whispers* Mahora... you're gonna have to be a little more quiet in here... if you want to hang out... waaaaayyyy more quiet.... [please, not another migraine...]
Luckily, some tuberose hydrasol just came in the mail from Dabney rose, which I promptly sprayed all over my face. Ahhh, a real tuberose-- to the rescue!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2010 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Mahora isn't the breeziest tropical fragrance around. In fact, it is precisely the opposite, something so thick and strong that by its very nature it would immediately post a no-trespass to all but either Guerlain collectors or diehard tropical fans.

After years of wearing Mahora, I still have no idea what Uluru--in the Australian Outback--had to do with this island-adventure scent, yet Uluru rose magnificently in the background of the ad campaign. It was an attractive and sensual image, baked in deep reddened bronzes, but one would hardly expect to find frangipani, tuberose, and jasmine growing in that scorched and forbidding desert terrain.

Mahora is a thing unto itself; it owes no allegiance to other heavyweight classic tuberoses and nothing to other tropicals either. It stood on its own in what was a take-it-or-leave it stance. And then it was momentarily abandoned and later repurposed, with some alteration, as the boutique Mayotte.

Topnotes are an air-raid siren of sharp, sour citrus pith and the greener components of tuberose. Duck and cover, because the base vetiver detonates in short order. This is the strongest use of vetiver in a tuberose frag since Fracas and its fuse is very, very short. Few perfumes have such a deafening opening salvo.

Mahora is largely frangipani on me, sweetened by jasmine and fattened by tuberose. It takes a vacation's worth of time to dry down to an approachable level, and by the time it does it has acquired a spiciness to the vetiver and additional sweetness from Guerlain vanilla. In between, the frangipani perfectly mimics the flat oiliness of coconut, while the rubbery tuberose gives distant whiffs of a tire shop. A certain level of commitment and belief is demanded, because Mahora is an extremely prolonged event to which one must take some sort of oath.

If it sounds from the above that Guerlain created Mahora with nihlism in mind, it was obviously considered a workable enough idea to be rebirthed in a much more expensive form. It did self-destruct, unintentionally, through various misconceived mechanisms: Name? Theme? Unlikelihood? Zeitgeist?

Mahora doesn't really have a drydown. It softens and the vanilla and sandalwood bring a gentle powderiness, but most of the rest of it remains intact. It will always be cumbersome at first, too heavy, but wait 24 hours and its traces are exquisite.

Yes, I did just say wait 24 hours. continued >>

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2009 1:52:00 AM More reviews by Amalzahir

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh Mahora how I love thee...

It is classified as an Oriental Floral and it does remain true to form.

It was discontinued, but brought back, as the much much more pricier Mayotte... I am going to pick up 2 bottles of the EDP from Ebay since they still seem to have it. There was talk about how the name was a faux pas in English, I never made that connection but more than English is spoken at our house... To me it sounded like an exotic location. The bottle is rather strange shaped in my opinion, but frankly the bottle doesn't really sell to me - Angel has a gorgeous bottle but smells hideous to me.

All Guerlains seem to be skin scents, and you have to try them on because everyone will have a different experience based on your chemistry.

This is just delicious and I get much more than just tuberose on my skin, I find some similarities with Samsara, but it is rather different - maybe the drydown? I also love Ylang Ylang and Orange Blossom so this would be something I would really like... and I wear it extremely well.

Here are the notes:

The fragrance features orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords in the top.

Ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart.

Sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base.

Apply this one light handed - well really all perfumes should be applied this way & especially orientals (although I will admit to almost batheing in some Chanels on occasion before bed, but my husband likes it and only he will have to be around me, so it works out ;-)

If you love this and cannot possibly find it anymore - go with Mayotte.