April 19, 2014 | 1811 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Palmers - Tummy Butter

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by mmsqueaks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this up during my pregnancy. Used it after showering, went toned, and woke up with a red, bumpy, itchy rash everywhere I had applied it. Tossed it. Beware!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by MerleenE

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this since about 6 weeks and now I am at 30 weeks. I am just starting to get some marks around my belly button and they are barly visible. My husband could barley see them. I think it helped with making sure my skin isnt dry and even making sure my marks were not that bad or that dark.

The butter is pretty thick and I need to use my nail to get it out of the jar. I mix my tummy butter with Vaseline Cocoa Butter body Gel. It goes on really smooth and easy and makes it absorb a lot faster.

I do believe that stretch marks have a lot to do with genetics and how quickly you gain weight. All my weight is in my belly so I am glad I was able to slow it down.

Will update after birth for final thoughts

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 5:49:00 AM More reviews by stl

Firstly, I do think that whether you get stretch marks or not depends on genetics. Some people do nothing, and they still don't get stretch marsk; others are obsessed with different butter/oil/creams and they still get stretch marks. So I think applying different creams and body butter will help moisturize your skin and hence making it less dry, which will result in less chances of itchy skin more prone to getting stretch marks.
My friend got this for me after I finished Weleda Pregnancy Oil. It was winter and my skin was really really dry (especially in tummy area). This really did moisturize my skin, but it took hours and hours for it to sink in. My skin felt so greasy!! I usually apply it at night, so my nightgown will be soaked in this, I'd have to change nightgown every day, since it felt greasy. I'd rather go back to using Weleda Pregnancy Oil.
Also, I am 36 weeks pregnant now and so far I've got no stretch marks. But I wouldn't really say it was for this cream, rather a combination of genetics and different oil/creams I used.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/29/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by AsianDiva123

I don't have particularly sensitive skin but this cream gave me bad rashes. I bought this for my pregnancy stretch marks on my belly. Now I have red blotchy rashes and it's itchy like crazy. Arrrgghhh. I've never had reaction to any body lotion/cream before this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I started to buy this Tummy Butter when I was about 3 months pregnant (Oct-ish of 2009). I used it EVERY day up to when I gave birth (and the accompanying stretch mark lotion from Palmers). I think I went through 5 tubs of it, and I still got stretch marks..

They didn't start to show up until I was around 7.5 months along, but then all of a sudden BAM, they were everywhere. I've always been skinny, and my skin just hit it's breaking point. (In the rear view mirror, I should have started using Bio Oil around 5 or 6 months along. The result would have been a lot better)

I can honestly say that this Tummy Butter did help to prevent some stretch marks, as in it could have been a lot worse. I only got them under my belly button, and a little on my hips. I have very fair skin, and most women that have a fair complexion tend to get more/darker stretch marks. It also prevented all of the itching that goes along with the growing stomach.

The problems I had with this product was the thickness of the Butter, the length of time it took to soak into my skin and the smell. It was such a process to rub this stuff all over my belly. It would take about 5-10 mins to rub in and then at least 10 to soak in.

I ended up getting the Stretch Mark Lotion from Palmers for random times throughout the day when I would start to feel an itch, or was just too lazy to use this Butter. It soaked in A LOT faster, but the moisturized feeling didn't last as long.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/10/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by bespiritu77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion for a few years now, so when I became pregnant my husband bought me this Tummy Butter to prevent stretch marks. I did not like the consistency of this product AT ALL! Like others said, it is very wax-like & was very difficult to spread over my belly. It made me feel quite sticky & didn't absorb into my skin well. Instead I just used the regular Cocoa Butter lotion on my belly throughout my pregnancy and avoided getting any stretch marks.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by jod84

i remember using this when i was pregnant 4 years ago i found this stuff thick and hard to rub in (it looks like a block of wax) it's very tacky and it made my tops stick to my pregnant belly. this will not stop stretch marks. i remember having a huge red mark on my belly so after the birth i got my self a tube of bio oil it works like a dream and faded the mark with in a month :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2011 9:35:00 AM More reviews by kirikadawn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this to try to fight the existing stretch marks that have appeared randomly since I was 13. So a good 13 years. My stretch marks tend to be on the deeper side, nasty dark red and purple ones. So I figured hey, I'll try this.
Pros:
+ Smells nice
+ Feels like you're actually getting something on there
+ Relatively cheap compared to other options
Cons:
- Very VERY thick and hard to get out and spread evenly
- Doesn't seem to do anything for my stretch marks
- So far can't tell it has prevented new ones (once a day for 4 months of using here)

Sooo... I don't think I'll get a refill. Maybe it will help with preventing stretch marks on normal people who have a reason for them (well.. pregnancy for example :P) but doesn't seem to do much for deep random ones. I'll move on to find something else that doesn't take this much elbow grease to use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2011 12:24:00 AM More reviews by sweetkandi87

I am on my second jar of this through this pregnancy and I am currently 6 months. I really do like this product, and it is on the cheaper end when it comes to pregnancy tummy butters. The packaging isnt the best, but i guess there isnt much you can do about it, since it is a thick butter. In order to get a decent amount of product, you have to rub the butter in the jar in a circular motion, and kind of dig your finger tips in it. I find this the best way to get a decent amount out to cover my tummy, and over time the butter softens up, and it is much easier to get the product out. I think it helps a lot in preventing stretch marks, and it evens them out too. This is also really nice in helping with dry/itchiness associated with a growing belly. I notice if I dont put this on, my skin feels very dry and begins to itch. I apply this twice a day. In the morning after my shower, and at night before bed. I will repurchase, and I have already :)

**UPDATE**
Im now 4 months post partum, and I did end up having some stretch marks - nothing you can really do about it, if its in your genes there is nothing you can do about it. Im thinking of rubbing this on my belly to try and smooth the marks out though. I will say though, the first few weeks after I had my baby my belly was soooo flaky dry and itchy. This definitly helps. I had a c/s so I had to be careful with putting things in that area, but I will update if this improves the look and feel of my marks.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2011 5:07:00 AM More reviews by chocol8eyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been a fan of Palmer's Cocoa Butter LOTION for a decade - I have used this all over my body after showering, to soften the look of stretch marks and have ALWAYS had a GREAT EXPERIENCE UNTIL NOW :(
I decided to try the tub of Tummy Butter since it directly talks about preventing pregnancy stretch marks and evens the tone of them even though it was around $8 for only 4oz @ Walmart.
The texture is very thick, waxy-like and really a pain to get any outta the tub without digging it out.
I had been using this for not even a week when I started having the worst, itchy sensation - I had read reviews BEFORE trying it and a lot of people have had this problem but I thought there was no way my skin is that sensitive. It got so bad that it looked like a sunburn the size of a basketball on my tummy and made my stretch marks look worse and almost blister-like :(
It's not as red as it was before now that I haven't been using it for 2 days but it still itches/burns and there is still signs of a physical irritation.
I wrote the company to say I have been a loyal customer for years and was wondering what the big difference was in ingredients so I can steer clear of whatever irritated me in the future.
I would not recommend - especially to a pregnant woman. Infact, I plan on telling people about my HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!