September 17, 2014 | 940 users online

Mascara - Fresh - Vital Base

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2007 2:32:00 AM More reviews by shrn618

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara is actually worse than supernova. It is a bit messy. I had to return it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2007 11:31:00 AM More reviews by askr

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Excellent black colored glossy mascara; mostly natural looking and soft lashes with one coat. More length and minor thickening with 2 coats. Does not flake or smudge if worn on top lashes only--experienced minor smudging on bottom lashes at the end of the day. It is not water resistant so tears/water/eye drops are not compatible. However no flakes or lash loss!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2007 9:48:00 PM More reviews by penh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with this mascara. I don't seek out mascara that creates dramatic eyes such as Diorshow does, for instance. But, at the same time I'm looking for a mascara that looks one step beyond natural, that offers a little more than Clinique Naturally Glossy mascara can give, for example. BTW, I endorse Clinique Naturally Glossy if you want a very low-key natural looking mascara. I was so pleased with my Fresh Vital Base when I used it for the first time today that I very carefully cleaned it off and before placing it back in it's cute lace-patterned box I actually gave it a goofy little kiss. That's the kind of goofy adolescent thing I would have done as a teenager except that now I'm 45!!! But I loved it that much! I realize today was only the first application but if it continues to give me the same color, separation, lengthening, curling and slight thickening that I received today upon application then I will have to officially hail it as my HG of mascara. Stay tuned. I'll let you know how it goes as the tube ages. In the meantime, I am going to email Fresh and beg them to continue making it. If you try it and like as much as I did, please let Fresh know that they're making a great product and should continue!!!

UPDATE May 31, 2007

I suspect that there is too much inconsistency with the tubes of Vital Base. However, maybe I'm not a fair judge of this because I don't wear mascara very often. I still stick by my 5-lippie assessment for the first time that I wore it. However, when I applied it again several weeks later I noticed a touch of flaking and when I applied it again several weeks after that I had flaking again. I don't understand why because I kept the tube nicely sealed. I think the formula dries out too fast so I am changing my review to 3 lippies. However, it might just be an inconsistency from tube-to-tube. I've heard other MUAers say this about other brands of mascara. Sigh. I thought I had finally found my HG of mascara. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by lateshoes

Pretty. Pretty. I have been in a fever to find an HG mascara for years and while I'm not sure if this one is it (I've only been using it for about a week), I have to say I'm impressed. It goes on smoothly, with no clumping (as long as I've scraped the excess off...the mouth of the opening is a little wide so it does tend to glob a lot of stuff on the brush if you're not careful). The end result is long, curled, natural looking eye lashes.
The kind we all wish we were born with. Wonderful stuff. Too bad about the cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2006 4:18:00 PM More reviews by hfields

Great mascara! It claims to be a lengthening mascara, and it truly is! I couldn't believe how long it made my lashes look, it was unbelievable. Everytime I wear it I get compliments on how long my eye lashes are. It goes on really well on the intial application(s) but I'm a chronic reapplier, and I've found that later on in the day if I try to layer it, it makes the lashes clump together. For this reason it could never be my everyday mascara, but I've never found another mascara that makes my lashes look this long!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2006 6:20:00 AM More reviews by my_alley

I love this mascara. It does everything I would want a mascara to do, such as:

*No clumps (but has a thick texture, so will leave a lot on product on the lash if you don't first wipe it against the tube opening)

*Goes on really smoothly. I think this is because of the aloe in it. Although it goes on smooth, you can layer it and achieve a super full lash effect if you let them dry and then apply more.

*Conditions the lashes.

*No running!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2006 5:14:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just tried this out at Sephora and it is by far the most natural and effective lengthening mascara I have come across. I built about 5 coats at once, no flaking, no clumps. Very, very soft finish- feels just like your own lashes. Only downside is I can't bear to spend $24 on mascara but I may just do soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2006 12:54:00 PM More reviews by merleskaya

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I finally bought a tube last week after trying it on about 10 times in Sephora. The brush is dense and the formula is so glossy. I have longish lashes, but they're light at the tips and very straight. This fans them out luxuriously and even gives them a little curl (which is enhanced when I remember to use my lash curler). This mascara is very easy to build from natural-but-noticeable for daytime to very defined at night. It doesn't flake or smudge easily, either. I don't notice the smell, and it's comfortable to wear w/ contacts. My only beef is the cost--$23 for mascara is a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2006 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Bernie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

No longer available. Now use Supernova and Firebird.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2005 12:33:00 PM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fresh vital base mascara in black. I tried this one a fluke when being in the US for a while, (live i Sweden), and was really surprised by it's great performance. Long glossy curved lashes that lasted all through the day and night. (Have even fallen asleep with this one, a major no no, but it still hadn't smudged or even budged when I woke up)! Compared to my all time favourite from Vincent Longo this is a little more wet in concistency, still creamy however. The brush is very tight and a bit more slender than the Vincent one but like that the hole in the tube is small preventing it from getting oversaturated, so application is really pleasant. (I really don't like when the brush gets all goopy and filled with too much colour that you have to wipe off before you apply the product...) This is a truly buildable mascara that can give you everything from naturally curved glossy lashes to full night time femme fatale without looking over the top. And the colur is really good too. Really black and glossy.