Estee Lauder Take it Away Makeup remover lotion

Sort of a bizarre concept. I like that it doesn't require water, yet gives your face a good cleaning. Might be useful on long flights where getting to a restroom or using a restroom to remove make-up might not be feasible.

on 7/18/2015 12:54:00 AM

I received a tube sample from free with gift purchase. It's a lotion that is slightly scented. It was effective at removing eyeliner + mascara, so it does its job. I put a bit on a cotton pad, then put cotton pad to my closed eyes and wait several seconds, then pat off. But it's soooo stingy that I can't recommend. I would rather use Clinique's take the day off (just as effective but no stinging involved).

on 7/13/2015 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Great product. I use this before a foaming cleanser at night to remove my ss and makeup. I usually use plain mineral oil, but I like this a lot better. It's thinner and has a pleasant scent, and has not irritated or broken me out. Price is fair, especially since it is so easy to find. They also have a tiny tube that is super travel friendly. I will definitely buy this again. :)

on 6/7/2015 3:34:00 AM

After Clinique (take off) I use now this lotion from EL and it is a good cleaner. It smells more better than Clinique, it is lighter and not oily.

on 2/22/2015 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I use this pre-cleansing because I wear Double Wear foundation and concealer plus DoubleWear eyeliner and NOTHING takes that stuff off!

I can see why so many people dislike it by the way - I think - they are using it. You'd surely have a hot mess on your hands if you try to rinse it off with water. And dry cotton pads - yikes!

After massaging it until I see my make-up break down, I wipe it off using a cheap white washcloth with the hottest water I can stand. Rinse the washcloth and do it again.

Then I use a lotion cleanser. Repeat washcloth action.

I'm a fan of Caroline Hirons and she's all about the "double cleanse" although she'd hate this because I think it has mineral oil in it.

Oh well. Anyway, I don't think you can simply rinse this with water...

Frankly, it's a pain to have to go through this dance but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

on 1/30/2015 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE this makeup remover. Prior to using Take it Away, I was using Clinique towelettes. I have oil/combination skin, and the towelettes provided a great way for me to remove makeup when I was feeling lazy without leaving any residue on my face that could potentially cause a breakout. I had heard towelettes were your skin's worst nightmare so I was on the hunt for a cleansing bomb. They all left me extremely oily. I normally wash my face with a regular cleanser following makeup removal, but it doesn't always happen immediately after. I like having the option of hanging out for a few hours before having to wash my face when I use a makeup remover (which is why I used the towelettes for so long). This remover lotion removes makeup with great strength (even with a face set with Urban Decay demattifying spray), while keeping your face the right mix between and clean (not too dry) and moisturized.

- Strength
- Consistency
- NO residue
- Price (given the amount needed to remove makeup)

- Be careful not to get in your eyes as it can sting

on 11/21/2014 6:03:00 PM

This makeup remover lotion is supposed to remove waterproof and longwear makeup but it doesn't. The texture is a light lotion when applied to the face and rubbed around it turn into a super light oil. The lotion consisitency is not strong enough to remove makeup or sunscreen to light. It contains isoparaffin(mineral oil). This will not remove double wear foundation, revlon colorstay, lancome tient idole..... which are longwear and thick foundations. It did not even remove my super light sunscreen or cream moisturizer. It doesn't rinse off well leaves a slight residue face did not feel cleansed.

on 11/21/2014 9:48:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Like 2 other reviewers here, this seems to cause a burning sensation in my sensitive combination skin.

My experience in detail:
1) I applied on dry face - and IMMEDIATELY felt a very WARM sensation (is this normal, with this product?)
2) Removed with a dry cotton pad ASAP.
3) Followed with cleanser, rinsing with lots of water, and moisturizer.
4) Felt a painful sensation, redness and rashes following step 3!

Thumbs up if you've had a similar, painful experience! (Or write a review).

on 10/27/2014 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Got roped into buying this by a saleswoman for Estée Lauder. I had already noticed that their DoubleWear foundation was more or less impossible to remove with my basic cleanser, so thought this might be a decent investment. Did the trick for removing that cement-like foundation, but also managed to irritate my eyes & skin. Too costly, don't fall for it.

on 10/17/2014 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Sometimes I use this product to remove my mascara. It works really well but I find I need to follow it up with the Take It Away Gentle Eye and Lip LongWear Make Up Remover to remove the residue before I wash my face. My problem with this product is that when you get down towards the bottom of the bottle, the pump is no longer effective and there is no way to reach the remaining product. I am talking about a good amount of product that is left. The bottle is so long that it is nearly impossible to find anything long enough to "dig it out" with. I complain to the Estee Lauder sales people every time I purchase a new bottle and they always acknowledge that it is a "problem". I wish Estee Lauder would change the packaging on this item to eliminate the waste.