October 21, 2014 | 1827 users online

Cleansers - Avene - Cold Cream Ultra-Rich Soap-Free Cleansing Bar

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 8:26:00 AM More reviews by kinkylovebite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried many different types of cleansers but this is my favourite. I use it in the evening to wash my make up off (foundation, eyeliner, mascara and blush). I have found other cleansers either sting my eyes or don't get rid of all my make up. This removes every trace of make up and can be used comfortably around the eyes. I find that I have to spend ages trying to get my make up off with non-rinse cleansers and my skin never feels that clean afterwards. My skin always feels very nice and clean after using this but not too dry.
I also really like the smell. It's a pretty neutral, french and clean smelling.
It lasts a long time. I would say a bar lasts four months used every evening.
The liquid cold cream cleanser from Avene is also very good but basically has the same ingredients plus water. As I add my own water when I'm washing my face, I feel that you are basically paying more for less actual cleansing. The bar is all the cleansing agents minus water. This makes it more compact and longer lasting. In my mind bit like those extra concentrated laundry detergents in the smaller bottles.
I've just bought 8 bars of this soap as I'm worried they might stop making it. It is very difficult to find good, cheap, face specific soap-free cleansing bars.
This bar costs 4.50 GBP, which I feel is good value compared to similar quality cleansing bars. Clarins makes one which is 17 GBP!
Overall I find this bar as a facial cleanser is effective, pleasant to use, compact and economical.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 12:07:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

This soap really does work for not drying out my eczema prone hands. It cleansers well - I see the dirt washing off off. The only problem is: the texture of this is so soft that I'm sure I would use this up in about 3 weeks if I washed my hands with only this soap. This also gets very soft when moisture is added and kinda melts into an ugly pile.This is annoying because it sinks into my soap dish. I also dislike the smell of this - I know that people that have very sensitive skin shouldn't use a lot of perfumed stuff, but there are a lot of other soaps without perfume that smells way better than this one. I can't really explain the smell - it's quite gentle, but I just don't like it.

The price of ONE bar is about $10. Although I like how this soap performs (except the smell), I don't feel I can afford to use it all the time when I can get equally good soap for about $1,5 a piece (Lano soap bar, that is)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by ningurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have dry/dehydrated skin that is prone to getting blotchy and sensitive when the weather is really cold (like it is this 2012/13 winter). I didn't mind using this in the fall, but atm, its a bit too drying for me. With that being said, the fact that is a BIT is pretty good given that its a bar and not a creme cleanser.
Yes, I would buy again any other time of the year, but with the humidity being so low, its just a touch too drying, emphasizing my flaky nose and cheeks. It has a faint, yet lovely smell, rinse clean away (I have well water) and doesn't break out my acne prone skin.
UPDATE:Turns out this was the culprit to my blackheads. I stopped using it and switched to olive oil for cleansing and they magically went away!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by saffronbaby

What a little miracle soap! So impressed with it. Adore avene products any way and this just ticks all the boxes. If your looking for something to calm upset skin then look no further. It's definitely not a makeup remover but its perfect for just sweeping away excess dirt or oil ( perfect for morning wash) and really does leave your skin looking a feeling super fresh, without that horrible tight dry feeling. The packaging is also really classy and has a very clean look without any stupid 'miracle cure' crap on it. Will be repurchasing as soon as it runs out!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by RoxieFoxie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Im on my second bar , after purchasing my first one on an impulse.

Sometimes , impulse buys get to reveal a true gem. This was the case with me and this little bar of soap.
I am not a fan of soap bars , I have used shower gels and liquid soaps for the last 10 years. Very rarely do I buy soap bars so dont know what got me to pick this one up.
But from the first wash , I totally fell in love. The scent to me screams of "clean". And it lingers for a while , and I like to catch the smell of it on me ... it gives me a positive feeling , for some reason.
Its mild , as it's soapless - I have used it on my face a couple of times too. I am very careful of what I wash or cleanse my face with. I had no hesitation to pick this up and wash my face with it.

It didnt break me out or give me a reaction. I cant say that about many products.
I will be buying this for a long time from now on. Avene is slowly becoming my " go to" brand - I get along with their face cleanser , thermal water and now the cold cream soap. I am very pleased and impressed. Well done , Avene!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this to use through the cold weather and though it left my skin feeling very soft and supple it really clogged my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by chrissyo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

After about 2 weeks, I am totally smitten with this bar!

When I had a resurgence of acne in my early 20's, I tried many things that just irritated my skin more (including ProActiv, which helped my skin in my teenage years). Eventually a good friend recommended Origins Cream Bar, which combined with Cetaphil cream helped calm and clear my skin. Unfortunately, as is often the case, Origins discontinued the bar a couple years ago, and I was sent looking for a replacement. The nearest dupe I could find at the time was a Cetaphil bar, but even that felt a bit drying. Over the last couple years, I have explored and fallen in love with various Avene products, so when I discovered they had their own cream bar, I figured it was a must try (especially at just 4.50, and IME if cared for properly, bars last a looong time). So far, so great! My skin feels clean, but not dry and has been less oily. Also, the combination of switching from the Clarisonic sensitive to acne brush head + this bar + Triacneal have given me some of the best skin I have had in my adult life.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 6:09:00 AM More reviews by SammiieBowBear

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this bar everyday and I love it. It doesn't dry out my skin and it gets rid of the odd spot quite quickly, which I didn't expect. I'd defiantly recommend it for tired, dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

Um...I don't know how to feel about Avene. I hate/love their products. This cleansing bar for instance, is really great! However if I use it too much I wind up with really clogged pores, but it makes my skin look so fresh, clean and hydratated. It makes me very mad that it also clogs my pores too. I tend to use it when I screw up my skin with DYI stuff (like SA toner I tried to make myself) or Ive been a zealot with treatments and my skin is really flaky and dry.
I would buy it again, and might for evening use...or morning use, I don't know. This bar confuses me.
***UPDATE*** ( May 2012) When my skin is dehydrated I might use this once or twice to give my skin a break but I have to admit it *stuffs* my pores. This is not my HG cleanser and I probably will not buy it again.
***UPDATE*** (Sept 2013) it's been a little over a year later and my skin is really dehydrated from using cheap stuff (Neutrogena acne products) when am I going to learn: DEHYDRATION CAUSES ACNE.
I'm buying a bar of this today, cause my skin is mad crazy dehydrated & my lipid barrier compromised.
I will add more remarks later, when I've got it in hand and used it for a couple of days. For me, my skin reacts when I am not eating properly and this may have been a factor in the past. It's a factor now.
***The next day after the above appended update^^***
I am very pleased to see that Avene has taken the Zea Mays (cornstarch) out of the formula. That was the ingredient that was clogging my pores. Cornstarch is sometimes used in cosmetics such as cleansers, toners and moisturizers such as Dermalogica Active moist to mattify the complexion, but is one of the most comedogenic ingredients I can think of. Why it would be in a cleansing bar for dry skin seemed illogical. Now this bar cleanser *almost* fits the bill, but it needs to be fragrance free.
So how does my skin feel after 2x use yesterday?
So far so good. What acne I have has stopped being so inflamed and *hurty* and the texture of my skin has improved overnight.
I will update in a week.
***UPDATE*** it's May 2014. I was using a cream cleanser by Marcelle I was liking, however it was giving me an odd and disturbing side effect of making my pores look huge. In the light at home, my skin looked fine. I look at a mirror at the store everyday-this day my pores looked like holes in my face. I used dove for two nights in a row, and that large pored look went away, my skin looked smoother and more even in the store mirror.
This is obviously better than dove, I've not yet had the chance to check the actual pH (because that is the thing that makes or breaks acne etc) but I'm guessing at least 5.5. I'll post it when I know. I will continue to use the Clinique BHA lotion (mild clarifying lotion-the thick pearly one) and see if the texture of my skin doesn't improve in 2 weeks.
***UPDATE***August 2014- Some aggressive...stuff has really dehydrated my skin this month, and I needed to do something quick. The dehydrated skin issue started last month when I tested Natures Plus Natural Beauty Cleansing bar. I kept on because I am always chanting the proper "pH mantra" however I cannot deny that bar of Sydnet mentioned above is something I don't want to use. There's a review, and it's interesting because the company will not divulge that which is in the bar of cleanser...I have my own theory.
That said, I still feel Sydnet bars are a good idea for me, personally. The main foaming ingredient in liquid gel cleansers are coconut acid derivatives (Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Cocoamido propyl Betaine, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocoyl Amide Propyldimethyl Glycine) these things seem to be less drying but just as pore clogging and at times irritating as sodium lauryl sulfate et al.
I was using dove for a while but indeed the cream bar includes one of the above ingredients, I believe it's Cocoamidopropyl Betaine.
I will tell you what I woke up to today. My nose was peeling like it was sunburned, my cheeks were very dehydrated. It's was a sad mess. I will tell you, castor oil and safflower oil do clear out your pores but whoa. Dried out my skin badly.
I used three yogurt masks in a row this morning, Roc gomme (rolling cream) and this cold cream bar today. The dryness and dehydration are greatly lessened. Perhaps my skin has gone from combo to dry because I'm aging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's not unique and for that reason I am not giving it 5 stars, tho it is an excellent cleanser. I use this soap free cleanser in the winter to combat "winter itch". I alternate between this and La Roche Posay Lipikar Syndet gel or Surgras bar.

Great for traveling if you can only bring a carry on