Avalon Organics Botanicals Rosemary Shampoo

3.9

Not tested on animals

Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(1), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laurylglucosides Hydroxypropylsulfonate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract(1), Dioscorea Villosa (Wild Yam) Root Extract(1), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract(1), Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract, Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaiba) Resin, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Seed Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil(1), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil(1), Arginine, Bisabolol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Citrate, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Alcohol(1), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really like this shampoo. It claims its a "volumizing" shampoo, and I didn't find it added any volume, but that's not why I bought it in the first place. I bought it for the strong rosemary smell and the excellent ingredients.

It's sulfate and silicone free and has a lot of potentially invigorating oils in it. There are oils such as lavender, rosemary, and some citrus oils in it which I think could really get the circulation going on your scalp, which could aid in hair growth (just my theory).

I thought this shampoo would be a little drying but it is the opposite! Instead of having water as the first ingredient, they put aloe juice in it instead! And because of that my scalp feels really nice and not too dry, and my hair is extra soft after using this. I think this could work well for not only dry hair-ed people like myself, but for people with oily hair too as it cleanses nicely if you shampoo your hair twice (which I do on an oily day.)

I use this shampoo on days my hair needs an extra clean, as I only wash it once every 4 days or so, or on the days I want my scalp to get some extra care too. I would recommend this to someone looking for some potential hair growth, a nice gentle cleanser, and something to soften there hair.

on 11/29/2014 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Love, love, love this shampoo! Years ago I used the Aveda rosemary mint shampoo and really liked it. I recently saw this on sale and thought I'd give it a try to see how it compares.
It's not the same thing but it's wonderful. It doesn't lather up as quickly as some shampoos do but once you work it in the lather is very thick. The scent is very pleasant and it rinses out easily. Some reviewers have said it is drying but that's what I actually like about it. I only wash my hair about 3 times a week and I have a very oily scalp. I have found myself using less dry shampoo between washes since I've been using this shampoo. It definitely helps control the oil on my scalp. I haven't used the matching conditioner as I prefer to use a hair mask as my conditioner since I don't wash my hair everyday and It's long so the ends can get dry. I will definitely re-purchase this shampoo!

on 10/16/2014 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Like the lather, love the smell and leaves my blond coloured hair soft, shiny with just the right amount of volume. Only drawback is that it makes my scalp really flaky. They fall on my clothes without me touching my head. Don't think it's the Moroccan hair oil I add after or the Matrix putty that does that. Can only figure it's the shampoo. Even bent my head down one night to fluff my short hair to try to remove all the flakes. I could not believe the dandruff-like flakes that came down. Too bad because I love the shampoo. It's organic, which is a plus. I'd try another organic shampoo because of that. That's the reason for my 4 lippey rating. Packaging is not important to me, it's what inside that really counts. (like men, ha, ha).

Edit: 3rd try this morning. I rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed. After I thought I was done, I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. No flakes, no itching. I'll see tomorrow after a no-wash day. Good thing I'm not paying for water!

Edit: Have not reused after my 3rd try as my scalp became pitcher and pitcher by the end of the second day. Rinsed my hair as I told myself it was not normal for my scalp to itch that much. It's an itch that feels like a very slow burn. Had not thrown out the bottle yet.

on 5/18/2014 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

HG! Relieved all the itching and flaking caused by dandruff. There's a subtle herbal scent that did not cause any irritation and fades away quickly, too. IME, it was non drying, I sometimes don't even use any conditioner, and my hair is still soft.

on 3/22/2014 12:55:00 AM

At first I found the scent a bit over powering but I love how this lathers compared to other SLS, paraben, etc free shampoos. I mainly use it on my scalp and find it invigorating. Though one con is I find I must use lots of the product to get the wash I desire. The mint conditioner compliments this well. I can easily go two days no washing and don't find it drying as some have mentioned. My hair is fine, thin but lots of hair and I like the shine it leaves.

on 8/19/2013 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I only used this shampoo one time and saw a big difference in my hair! It had body, shine and looked so much fuller. I will definitely continue to use this Rosemary Shampoo, and I especially like that it is sulfate free.

UPDATE: still using it, still loving it. Even though it is somewhat drying on my ends it helps my oily roots and it smells gorgeous. I find it essential to use conditioner (not the matching one) and I use it in rotation. I'm on my fourth bottle and they're big 'uns so it must be good! I previously reviewed this shampoo favourably but just recently I've been using it a bit differently and I'm even happier with the results. Being volumizing and not moisturizing, it is quite drying on my slightly dry ends, so I've been applying it only to my oily roots and massaging it into my scalp with my finger tips. It would make a great mild clarifying shampoo. I then use another shampoo for dry hair on my mid-lengths to ends and find that my hair is full of volume, shine and bounce right up until evening, which is a first for me. For reference, recently I've been mostly following up with a very light conditioner on the ends only or even just my home-made rosemary hair rinse and I love to use a keratin spray too as my only other treatment/ styling aid before lightly blow-drying. I also find that using these products in rotation with other shampoos & conditioners helps (I use leave-in oils, Elasticizer and Aphogee intensive treatments, all once a week and a 'proper' clarifying shampoo when I'm looking really oily/built-up). I am still on the hunt for a natural shampoo that will keep my oily hair looking great for two days at a time, but until I do the Avalon Rosemary is doing better than any other shampoo for oily hair (natural or otherwise) that I've used. Update: just tried out Dead Sea Magik mineral shampoo and my oily roots have been transformed. The only shampoo, SLS-free or otherwise, to zap the oil (with salicylic acid) and give my hair a new lease of life. I still love Avalon as it is a totally different type of shampoo and it smells so lovely, so will rotate, but I recommend Dead Sea Magik for all those with problematic scalps. And it does not affect my colour. Truly HG!

on 1/1/2013 3:37:00 PM

This shampoo is very drying yet seems to leave a lot of residue in the hair. The feeling of the residue becomes unbearable if I use it just two days in a row. It makes me feel dirty like there's a lot of grease in my hair just hours into my work day, yet the back gets all tangled. The feeling of cleanliness probably lasts around 20% as long as what I get from my usual shampoo.

The matching conditioner didn't alleviate the drying effect at all. The amounts you need of each product are woefully mismatched. I probably used 3x as much of the conditioner compared to the shampoo, because the conditioner didn't spread smoothly over the hair at all.

on 4/10/2012 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This shampoo left a lot of product in my hair. I suppose, technically that's volume, but product seemed to sit on top of my hair, making my hair look greasy and flat, but not actually moisturizing. I tried alternating with other shampoos (I was my hair every other day anyway), using it with Avalon conditioner. No luck.

on 2/18/2012 7:16:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I'm an asian and I have long flat hair that are wavy at the ends.
I initially wanted a volumizing shampoo since my hair is literally laying flat on my scalp and I didn't like the look, so I decided to try out Avalon Organics Rosemary Volumising Shampoo. It isn't cheap in my country - it cost around USD $10 for that small bottle which would only last me for 1 month at the very most.

This shampoo smells like herbs and i'm definitely not a fan of the scent. However, I do notice a subtle difference in the volume of my hair. My hair now seems more pouffy than before (a good thing) and my scalp doesn't itch anymore (even when i'm under the Sun).

I have to deduct 1 lippie though, since it doesn't lather well. I literally had to use half-a-palm-full of shampoo for my chest length hair. Also, it really dries out my hair so much that my wet hair always get really bad tangles.