Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 8/19/2015 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Let me be the first person to say I was skeptical about putting oil on my face. After dealing with Argan oil's toll on my skin, years ago, i swore I wouldn't be swayed by oil again. Well, I gave in. I noticed that the moisturizer I had been using was doing nothing good for my skin and making it break out terribly, my roommate had been raving about CO, and she had a jar or it in the kitchen. So, I used it for a week as a moisturizer to make sure it was going to be okay, and omg, I will never use anything ever again. This has truly saved my skin. I only break out around shark week (period) any more. My makeup just glides on and the CO moisturizes lightly, so that it doesn't break makeup down, like a lot of moisturizers that can be far too heavy on the skin. the redness in my face has greatly reduced, and my undereye area looks less tired. I also use it to remove my makeup and nothing has worked better than this!!!!!! I need to buy something to put it in that isn't a huge jar to lug around, but wow, I am so impressed with CO. HG!!!!

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I recently decided to incorporate organic coconut oil into by beauty arsenal, and I was shocked that as a leave on moisturizer, this was not nearly as greasy as I expected and actually absorbed nicely. I use this under another moisturizer at night for a boost of hydration, and it causes no problems for my combo/oily breakout prone skin. I use this on my naturally wavy hair, to add hydration, shine, and control and it works wonderfully, because a lot of hair products tend to break me out as well. As a makeup remover, I will rub this onto dry skin, breaking up all my makeup, then wet my face and add my foaming cleanser and rinse it all off, and it helps keep my foaming cleanser (Everyone Soap-Coconut + Lemon) from drying me out, but also gets everything off in on sweep. The only thing I haven't used it for....is cooking! :-D

on 7/31/2015 1:20:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A beauty essential.
I've been using it in the following ways:

Hair: I use coconut in my hair as a treatment (applied to damp hair after a shower), as well as after blow drying my hair (particularly after it's been washed. The former method gives me long term benefits regarding my unruly, frizzy curls, making me hair shinier and more healthy looking, where as the latter method tames frizziness and gives my blow waved hair a more natural look.

Hands: Slightly warmed in the hands, coconut oil is quickly absorbed. I don't think it's particularly "deeply penetrating", but I love how it takes the edge off dry and chapped areas of my hands, and it doesn't require much extra thought as using the surplus oil after applying it to my hair is often enough.

Face: I recently spent quite a bit of money on a moisturiser which caused me to aggressively react (I'm talking about angry cystic acne), and needed a moisturiser to tide me over until I buy my next one. Seeing how quickly the oil was absorbed into my hands and having experience with facial oils in the past I tried it on my face, and am so grateful I did. Before being absorbed, coconut oil maintains its oiliness which allows you to spread it on your skin which friction, after which it is easily absorbed. My acne soon calmed down and I believe my complexion to have improved, but am weary about the way it seems to exacerbate the appearance of my pores, and probably won't use this continuously as a twice daily moisturiser.

A little goes a long way, and for its benefits this is a bargain!

Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil is absolute necessity. My hair has grown so much since using this stuff years ago. It repaired my damage from sun, heat + crappy hair products. I use it by itself as a hair mask, massaging the warmed up oil for about 15 minutes (setting container or bowl of oil in sink filled with hot water to heat it up), sometimes I will leave it on for 20 minutes, other times I lay out a towel over my pillow + go to bed with it. If you add a mixture of water, coconut oil + sea salt this makes an amazing bomb sea salt texturizing spray. This healed my parched, damaged skin too, face + body. I passed on my coconut oil obsession to ALL my family. Obviously, they noticed a difference too. I will forever be using this oil.

on 7/19/2015 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

From what I've read (shop smart mag) coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft extremely well making it one of the best conditioners available period. Combined with the reviews here I use it exclusively as my deep conditioner for a few hours or overnight one a week. My hair is completely condutiobed and healthy..finally! And I have a high lift blond hair color. HG for me.

on 7/13/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

EVCO is one of my favorite natural/carrier oils. It's a light oil and a little goes a long way. I mainly use it for cooking and my hair (pre-poo or sealant). Other times I use it as a face and body oil. The faint sweet scent of coconut after a warm shower is pleasant and uplifting. It feels silky and smooth and so does my hair and skin after use. It also has a strengthening effect on my hair. Love it!

on 7/8/2015 5:49:00 AM

I am eternally grateful to mother nature for producing this miracle product. For probably the last three years I have used this as a makeup remover, hair treatment, face serum (it's not quite moisturising enough to use alone so I layer night cream over it in the evening and wake up with glowing, luscious skin), for oil pulling and for shaving. It has cleared up my face, is the most effective makeup remover I have ever come across, it has made my eyelashes and eyebrows grow SO much, and saved my hair. It has also made me realise how harsh commercial cleansers and makeup removers are. I went on holiday a few months ago and forgot my coconut oil, so out of desperation I ended up buying some cleansing wipes for 'sensitive skin'... my skin was angry, red, and sore.

I will never stop using this stuff :)

I initially started using coconut oil to make a body/face scrub recipe I found on a blog (coconut oil, castor sugar and lemon juice). The results were my face didn't like it (clogged my pores), but it works well on my body. I especially like using it as a hand scrub, no more purchasing Sally Hansen hand scrub! My hands feel soft and smooth, and at a fraction of the cost.

Recently I made a tooth paste recipe from this blog: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/homemade-toothpaste-with-coconut-oil.html
The taste is OK and my teeth feel smooth and clean. I'm not sold on all the uses mentioned on that page - for example, as a lip balm it feels too thin and doesn't stay on. But nothing ventured, nothing gained - things are worth trying.

I've also used it for athlete's foot (in between my toes), from the gym shower and it worked. My hair is long, thick and fine with oily roots, so using a spare amount of coconut oil warmed in my hands and applied to the ends of my hair, then tie it in a top knot before I go to aqua aerobic class- it works well. I shampoo as normal and my hair feels silky and looks great. I use hair dryers a couple times a week and the damage that causes has been reduced IMO. I think the key, for me anyway, is to use a small amount only to the ends of my hair, otherwise I have to shampoo too frequently.

I'll update this review as new discoveries come along, but overall I'm glad to have jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon and advise others to give it a try!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Here's the thing; I really do like this, but I just can't give it 5 lippies.

Let's start with the things I love about it: it's a great makeup remover, it's a good body moisturizer, a great hair treatment, an awesome shaving oil, but I CANNOT use this as a face oil!

So, I used to use olive oil as a face oil and THOUGHT it worked well, but it was just too heavy for my oily skin and it made me break out (I don't even know why I thought it was good for my skin). Then I decide to try this because Pinterest was like, "This is, like, soy good for your skin", so I decided to use it and my skin was great, until about a month ago when I got some CYSTIC ACNE along my cheeks and forehead! I thought that it was just hormonal because I tend to break out a week before my period and it heals by the time my period starts, but this took much, MUCH longer and by that, I mean they have just finished healing right now.

I recently found out that this has happened to a lot of people. I've also just now found out that I am very prone to comedogenic breakouts, so I'll need to find something non- comedogenic or something with very low comedogenicty. I would repurchase this, but I just won't use this a a face oil. Hope this helped you!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

use as hair mask for my bleached dry hair

Popular Lotions / Creams