November 22, 2014 | 1953 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by littlesparrows

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a review for this under "cleansers", but I thought I would put one in for lotions as well, since I used it for the skin on the body as well as the face. As much as I love to use coconut oil for cooking (great for baking homemade chocolate chip cookies too, just substitute half the butter in the recipe for solid coconut oil) and I love the coconut scent in anything, I cannot use this for face, body or hair. It feels great going on, makes the skin feel moisturized (hair soaks in up as well, but after washing and conditioning, my hair is a horrible dry mess). It makes the skin look so dewy and healthy when you first put it on. BUT- after this initial glow on the skin, I wake up with very dry skin. My skin is dry enough as it is, I do not need extra help to accomplish this. It leaves my facial pores clogged and the skin dry and lifeless. And after a few weeks of using this on the body under extra body lotion, (because I thought maybe it would work better with a moisturizer on top of it) I ended up with large red bumps on the legs and arms. It took forever for them to heal, and it leaves reddish scar marks. I think it showed up mostly on legs and arms because they have hair follicles, I believe it clogged them. This was not a razor rash either, they were large bumps, plus the bumps stopped appearing after I discontinued coconut oil. I have read that many people have developed cystic acne on the face after using this oil. I never should have kept on trying to make it work. One interesting side note is that I used a body soap years ago called Kirk's castile soap which always left white, clogged bumps on my skin. This soap is made of coconut oil. When I was using the Kirk's soap, I thought it was my lotion causing bumps, but I eliminated the lotion, which left only the soap as the culprit. I am using Curel fragrance free and Eucerin Intensive body lotions and having much better results. No more coconut oil on my skin and I will watch the soap ingredients, too!

So many people love this and it works for them. People have different skin types, and we all react in a different way; you just have to use trial and error and find what works for you. But, I have learned the hard way to discontinue a product as soon as it causes any problems- don't try to make it work, it can be far more trouble than it's worth. Even if you have to lose money on it, it is better to stop before it gets worse. Find what works for you and stick with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by cyens

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love coconut oil! I buy cosmetic grade coconut oil, I use it in my homemade cold press soaps and homemade lotion. Perhaps you need to use cosmetic grade on your skin, no cooking grade, this i why so many people got reaction. Also, I make sure is cold press virgin coconut oil, not solvent extraction, which is full of not so good stuff.
I use this on my body, mixed with shea, cocoa, almond, olive and/or argan oil, then I add my own essential oils depending my needs. Most of the time its lavender, geranium, grapefruit, sometimes rosemary, I just change it up each time.

This stuff is amazing! I haven't used store bough lotion in over 10 years, I just make my own. I used to have really bad dry skin and psoriasis, and now its all gone. Store bough lotion is full of crap, even highend stuff, the main ingredients are always just water, mineral oil and silicons, and the actual good oils are listed last.

PS: I don't use it on my face, only on my body, for my face I use jojoba oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 6:15:00 PM More reviews by racistpretzels

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just don't get it. This oil is supposed to be one of the most comedogenic and worst for acne, but somehow, MIRACULOUSLY, this stuff is great on my skin. I have had TERRIBLE acne in the past and my skin is definitely acneprone, but I have been using coconut oil for over a year and it always leaves my skin soft and helps my breakouts. This "strange" occurence almost leads me to believe that people are just using too much oil on their face. I can definitely see this causing breakouts when you use too much.

All I do is take a MINISCULE amount, probably less than 1/8 of a teaspoon, rub it into my fingertips/palms, and pat it onto my face fresh out of the shower (after I've sprayed apple cider vinegar as a toner).

Sometimes I like to try new facial moisturizers but I always end up coming back to coconut oil and it never fails me. Not only do I use this on my face, but it makes for a great body oil fresh out of the shower, and I use it in baking, stir frys, etc. Just a great versatile product.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2014 4:55:00 PM More reviews by dperezr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too was a victim of this very very dangerous skin care product that hides behind many articles and reviews that rave about how natural and good this is for your Skin.

Be very very aware because this can be the end of your skin. And I mean it. I will tell you my story and you'll decide if you give this a go or not. Also understand that everyone reacts different to things. But with this you should be specially careful because it can either give you perfect skin or a skin full of cystic acne that will leave you with scars, many many scars. Or it can give you both. Perfect skin for a couple of months follow by a face full of cysts.

So after changing my diet I decided to change skin care products. Sure enough coconut super hype oil was at the front of all the other natural products. Even though I read the bad reviews, and even though I knew the comedogenic scale of this oil is 4 out of 5, I decided to ignore this vital facts and give it a go. I really thought I was a special snowflake and that somehow the laws of physics didn't apply to me. Well what a mistake that was cuz 3 months after using ORGANIC extra virgin coconut oil, hell broke lose. At least 3 new cyst every day for at least 3 weeks with no breaks. It's been 7 months and I still haven't got better. My skin has been violated multiple times and then some by coconut oil. My pores are so sore from the penetration of hard cysts.

It wouldn't had been so bad if it wasn't by the fact that coconut oil made my skin GORGEOUS for 3 MONTHS! And I'm not the only one that experience this type of effect. Which is like marrying a super model just to find out 3 months later that she looks like fiona from Sherk after she takes her makeup off. False advertisement right there.

For the purpose of objectivity I will say that coconut oil help me massively with the blackheads I have in my nose. I'll say my blackheads got reduce by 70 percent. But any oil will do that if you massage it on your nose. So thank you coconut for showing me the way to clear my blackheads. Also it's supposed to be really healthy orally. And I use it for all my cooking.

In the end the choice is yours. You can either try it and regret it, try it and love it, or not try it and regret not knowing what if. But one thing is for sure, if you do try it, hold on tight, because you are about to experience the mother of all emotional roller-coaster.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2014 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Shabalabba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've only ever used cocount oil as a hair treatment so my review is solely based on that.

I mean...it's O....K, I was expecting better results after after reading all the reviews.

I heated about a table spoons worth and heated it up by putting the glass that contained it in a bowl of hot water for a minute or so. I also added a few drops of rosemary oil. I then slathered it on my hair (dry) and took a few minutes to really massage in into my scalp and frazzled ends. Seriously, my ends are begging to be put out of their misery but may hair hasn't reached a desired length where I would feel comfortable going to salon to get them chopped. Anyway, I slept with the oil on my head as I really needed a DEEP treatment. Got up in the morning, washed as usual - although I used a build up shampoo and I wasn't majorly impressed. My hair was still dry and didn't feel nourished. If anything it felt quite greasy. Greasy without being nourished if you know what I mean.

So... feeling pretty frustrated, I got to reading more reviews and came across the ones for sweet almond oil. Oh. My..... Sooo good. I slathered a load on my hair - it was pretty much the same process as the coconut oil but only this time I didn't warm it up. Straight out the bottle and onto my hair, went to sleep as usual. Washed my hair in the monring - only this time I used some ordinary shampoo rather detox shampoo and my hair felt brand new. No greasiness/residue. It felt light and nourished. I was so in love I even went one step further and rubbed a drop through my damp hair before blow drying. Again, no greasiness, just nourishment. And then - overkill, but that's me! - I rubbed another drop through my hair once it was dry and straightened. Still - NO GREASINESS!"

My hair just drinks it up and shines like i've had a professional treatment at a salon. It's remarkable. I've never come across an oil that doesn't make hair greasy. I'm guessing because my hair drinks this up it avoids the greasy look.

You can't go wrong with this. I've even spent 12 odd for Argan before and it had nowhere near the same effect, I paid 4 off for the almond oil.

I'm in love.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2014 11:22:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried this as a last ditch effort on my hair. I had dyed it 2x's and it was so dry! Mind you I have very long, thick, thirsty hair so, my hair was in need of moisture! I heat this in a bowl under hot to warm water. I use a clean spoon and take out about 5 tablespoons and plop it in my hair dye bowl. I fill my sink just enough so the bottom will heat the oil. I then add it to my hair especially my ends and I massage my scalp. I get either scalp dermatitis or psoriasis on my scalp in the winter. So a scalp massage does not make me oily. I massage and put my hair in a bun with the oil all up in my hair. I usually give it an hour more if I can I shampoo and condition like usual. I like One n Only Argan shampoo and conditioner. I add a little Argan oil on the ends and I actually have smooth,manageable, soft hair!

I can use it on my skin but I really love this for my hair. I finally have it feeling soft and looking healthy. I now also have a healthy scalp no more itching or gross flakes. It finally feels normal! I know it's gross but to those who have this know how uncomfortable it feels! It just balances everything out. My hair feels amazing and my scalp is healthy finally! Also my hair is super shiny like it has its luster back. This product is just amazing for my hair. I purchase mine at Target and it's organic. I use it about 2x's a week depending on my needs. One of the best products I have ever used on my hair! I even put some in my ends when there dry. Makes it look so polished I couldn't be happier. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2014 7:27:00 PM More reviews by suzzily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Coconut oil is an amazing multipurpose product that I now swear buy. I use it to remove my makeup, moisturise my face and eye area and condition my cuticles. I use waterproof mascara and it works really well; I slather it on a cotton round, press on the eyelashes for about 10 seconds, do brushing motions downward to wipe the makeup away and clean the small corners of the eye with a Q-tip. I've had trouble with makeup removers in the past that have irritated my skin, burned my eyes or pulled out my eyelashes (a huge NO-NO). I have not experienced any breakouts with CO when I use it on my face as I fortunately have small pores and my skin is not acne-prone. I do have rosacea and very sensitive, dry skin and this stuff is perfect - just pure coconut oil that can't go wrong. It looks super greasy after applying (as you would expect) and takes a while absorbing into the skin so I only use it at night. I love how my skin feels supple and nourished after it has absorbed. Definitely recommended to those with sensitive and dry skin looking for a chemical-free, 100% natural everyday moisturiser and makeup remover.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by msmaryam95

A warning to all those with acne prone skin: PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! This stuff gave me THE worst breakout of my life. Im talking like massive boils all on my cheeks as well as clogging up every single pore on my face. I was using top quality organic extra virgin coconut oil and for the first 2 weeks it was great. Then I started noticing my skin was drier and I was getting these wrinkles everywhere and I'm only 20 with oily skin. My skin started getting rougher and by the 3 week point a new boil was emerginf on my face every day. I am now dealing with the hideous scarring and I am sooo upset I even decided to try this. Pleaseeee proceed with caution, if for any reason your skin changes for the worse, STOP IMMEDIATELY, there is no such thing as a "purge", your skin is trying to tell you to BACK THE HELL OFF!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by sierrab2010

I've heard amazing things about coconut oil so I decided to give it a try. I realized after purchasing that I bought the wrong kind (I meant to grab organic) but I've been using it anyway because, well, I did spend money on it and don't want to waste it. Anyway, I started out putting a teaspoon in my tea - well let me just tell you guys that if you have a sensitive stomach like me, please don't do this. It made me get sick. Take it with food or after you've eaten a decent meal. Now, I mix it in with my peanut butter toast and can't taste it and it doesn't make me nauseous. As for putting it on my face, I'm still a tad skeptical just because I break out so easily. It's super oily so you don't need to use much at all. It's been five days and I've noticed that my pimples are starting to finally dry up and the marks they typically leave behind are diminishing fast. I don't leave it on all night though, I put it on my face for a few hours then wash it off (apparently this helps prevent breakouts because the oil penetrates pores and cleans them out). I will purchase a higher quality CO this weekend and see if my skin continues to improve.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/6/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yes, I love coconut oil. Medium-chain triglycerides, anti-microbial properties, doesn't degrade at high temperatures, etc. I use it for cooking, and I find it to be the best oil for oil-pulling. As a moisturizer, it was really good: absorbs relatively well considering it's an oil, smells heavenly, made my skin silky smooth... The problem? It gets on my clothes, my towels, my sheets... Oils are hard to get out in the wash, even with hot hot water and intense wash settings. And while coconut oil is pretty shelf stable in the jar, it's not immune to rancidity, especially if you're dipping damp hands into it or you get some water in the jar -- it does go rancid. The residual coconut oil on my clothes and towels eventually turns, and my only recourse is to get them dry cleaned or toss them. *Update 8 Oct 2014* Not even dry cleaning works, so beware.

I'm surprised so few others seem to have noticed this. I do have a more sensitive sense of smell than most, but this goes beyond that. It's unbearable. I might use it occasionally for my feet (with some designated socks) or as a brief hand treatment, but I for one cannot live with the reek.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No