Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/10/2015 4:19:00 PM

This stuff has a million uses. I put it on my dog when she has dry/patchy fur. It healed her ears when they cracked from our cold temperatures.

It tastes great...

But PUT IT ON YOUR HAIR!

This cheap, easy-to-find product has changed my hair. Once or twice a week, I will take a good amount and heat it (small bowl in a sink full of hot water) and then absolutely lather my hair up in it. Scalp to ends, I massage it in and then let it sit in my hair for at least a half hour.

Then just wash it out with your normal shampoo (I usually wash twice) and then follow with your normal conditioner.

Your hair will love you forever. In one treatment, mine went from crunchy-dry to so soft I couldn't stop touching it. I have tried countless EXPENSIVE products and nothing has done what simple coconut oil has done.

on 3/24/2015 3:16:00 PM

I can say for a fact that I absolutely love and loathe this stuff. As far as food goes, I like cooking with it. It's really good for you. It was really nice for my hair, too.
For for my face, this crap was horrible. I stupidly listened to so many people online who ranted and raved about how they use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer and it 'cured' all of their problems. So I jumped on the bandwagon and every night, I carefully applied to the oil to my face after washing it.

Spoiler alert: it did not cure my acne, improve my complexion, or get rid of any blackheads.

In actuality, it made my face and acne 10x worse, and I stuck with this stuff every night for about three or four months. I kept listening to the random stupid bloggers who talk about a 'purging period'. Plot twist: it doesn't really exist. If something is breaking you out, it's going to keep happening. It's not going to magically improve just because. And if I had all these toxins lurking deep within my skin that oil 'pulls out' or whatever, why have I never noticed them before? Why wouldn't they have emerged to wreak havoc on my face prior to the coconut oil? Oh right, that's because they don't exist and the coconut oil is actually breaking me out.

I am so wary when it comes to people and alternative medicine and whatnot. Shudder.

*And for references, I used organic, expeller-pressed, unrefined virgin coconut oil. Maybe I should have used cold-pressed, I dunno. Either way, I've used other oils on my face, and it just doesn't agree with my skin.

on 3/19/2015 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't really like using oils on my skin I especially do not like using coconut oil on my skin not because it's bad oh no no I just don't like that coconut smell. I do use it for hair it is so wonderful as a hair product instant shine so good. I also use it on my lips to wipe off super pigmented lipsticks I do not use this on my face I don't think that's a good idea if you've got an oily tzone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the best stuff for sunburns. I need another bottle for this summer. It's so soothing when it's cold on hot skin, and it's awesome for shaving legs too. It's also awesome as a deep conditioning hair treatment. I don't think it really helps hair to grow, but maybe it does help with extreme damage from chemicals.. I think everyone should have a bottle of this.
I also use it as an eye make-up remover. I don't think it's a good overall face cleanser though at least not for acne prone/ sensitive crazy skin like I have.

on 3/6/2015 4:15:00 AM

Coconut oil is one of my absolute favorite beauty products. I think you can use it for literally almost everythingx it's such a magic product I love it especially for my hair and as makeup remover

on 2/27/2015 9:30:00 PM

I love coconut oil. It has so many different ways to be incorporated in your daily life, and it is cheaper than a lot of beauty products out there.

I did not like using it on my face as a moisturiser, nor as a face wash. Both times it broke me out horribly, and my skin got 10x more congested than it was. However, I knew a girl who swore by coconut oil as a facial moisturiser. She had dry, flaky skin so it may work better for those with skin similar to hers.

I have also used it as a body scrub, mixing it with some honey and sugar. I prefer my scrubs using olive oil if my skin is in dire need of moisture. For the summer, or when my skin isn't very dry, I will use the coconut-sugar scrub. I just mix a bit of each until I get the consistency I like.

I also make a body butter using coconut oil, olive oil, and shea butter. It makes my skin feel amazing. Very conditioning and soothing for dry skin. I believe you can still get great results using just coconut oil on its own for your skin. I use it on my lips before bed every night.

I have tried coconut oil on its own for my hair. It is very moisturising, and leaves hair so soft and silky. I especially loved using it as a pre-poo when using shampoos with sulphates, so my hair isn't left completely stripped. Now I use it in a blend with my other oils and prefer to use it that way. My hair is soft, healthy, and in much better condition than it was prior to doing hot oil treatments.

I used to do oil pulling with coconut oil every morning for twenty minutes. It made my gums feel and look much healthier, my teeth shiny and bright, and my mouth really healthy overall. I used to suffer from gingivitis (yes I visit the dentist regularly, brush twice a day, and floss), and oil pulling has helped significantly. I haven't done it lately, just because I didn't have the extra twenty minutes each morning to do it. I will be getting back into this soon. I'm not sure if all the other health claims of oil pulling are true, since I don't suffer from serious health problems.

I also use coconut oil for cooking sometimes. It gives food a hint of coconut, in smell and taste. It supposedly helps to burn fat (strange, but look it up), and has several health benefits.

There are so many other uses for coconut oil, that I can go on and on about it. Look up some other uses, or think of some on your own. I definitely recommend trying it out, you should find at least one thing you like to use it for! :)

on 2/23/2015 5:51:00 PM

Alright so I have mixed opinions on coconut oil.
I first started using coconut oil as a weekly hair mask, with a few drops of peppermint oil to stimulate hair growth, and it works very well. It makes my hair smooth, and I can tell my hair has grown more than usual and is a lot healthier.
However, I read lots of reviews saying that coconut oil is an amazing face cleanser, and I have to disagree. The first time I used it- I loved it. My skin was super smooth, glowing, and looked awesome. But the next day, I noticed some bumps appearing on my face. I thought, "No way- a product that made my skin feel that good is breaking me out? Meh." So I thought I'd continue using it for another week or two to see if it was just hormonal acne or what not. I applied it to my lips one night and woke up with a HUGE pimple on the side of my lip... and some days when I cleansed with it at night, I woke up with breakouts that hurt so badly, which I've never experienced before.
So my verdict: great for the hair, not so good on my acne prone skin.
Coconut oil is a 4 on the Comedogenic Ratings (meaning it's very high in causing acne and clogging pores, 5 being the highest rating).

on 2/16/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I only use coconut oil for oil pulling and oil facial cleansing straight from the jar without mixing with other oils, feels great and works well. I would also massage coconut oil on my body topically after shower, it does keep the skin very silky soft all day long.

It might be also great to work as a facial moisturizer for non acne-prone skin, its very light-weighted and contains some UV protection, but for myself, I have better alternatives, my all time HGs: Decleor Aromessence line (oil serum + balm), 100% natural, and Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream, these seem to give me better protection because they contain bee wax and other ingredients.

People, do note that coconut oils aren't all created equal, some are extracted from dry, old coconut meat transported from the plantations to factory, some are extracted from freshly harvested right at the plantations, it may affect the result. Learn about different types and read the labels carefully before your purchase. For more information, please check: http://coconut-oil-tips.com/facts/what-is-best-coconut-oil-brand-to-buy/

on 2/12/2015 9:52:00 PM

Love this product!!! But it's a bit of a hassle scooping/pouring out the oil... I use it for oil pulling, as a face moisturiser and body oil. I take a spoonful in the morning when I find my skin dehydrated.. a wonderful oil with many benefits. And yes.. the smell is heavenly. Try it.. I believe your skin and body will thank you if you aren't sensitive to coconut oil.

on 2/6/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh how I love my coconut oil. And here are some awesome things to use if for, if you don't already:
- Make-up remover.
- Shaving oil.
- Eye cream/eyelash/eyebrow conditioner (apply with a very light hand!)
- Deep conditioning hair mask (apply to towel dried hair, wrap, and leave on for up to a couple of hours. Rinse well).
- Add a tablespoon to your bath water for soft, moisturized skin.
- Apply to cracked elbows and heels.
- Tames flyway hairs.
- Add some course salt or sugar and you have yourself a very effective face/body scrub!
- Mix with a teaspoon of honey, heat until it is warm (not scalding) and you have a moisturizing face mask!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products