January 27, 2015 | 1117 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2015 7:24:00 AM More reviews by K20602D

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been working on the same tub of raw organic coconut oil for at least three years now. I have cooked with it, used it as a facial moisturizer (really bad idea - I broke out horribly and had horrendously clogged pores), a body moisturizer (also bad idea because it never really soaked in completely - left oil stains on my clothes & any other fabric my skin touched), and as a hair treatment. For the past two years I have only been using it as a pre-shampoo treatment & as a heat protectant when I flat iron my hair. I use half a table spoon from my scalp to my ends and leave it in my hair overnight. It protects my hair from the stress/damage of the washing/blow drying/flat ironing that I do the following day. After I wash & blow dry my hair I use another half table spoon from scalp to ends. I then blow dry my hair for another 30 seconds to make sure the oil is evenly distributed through my hair, finally I flat iron my hair. My hair is longer, stronger, shiny, and always fresh. I don't have breakage anymore and maybe once in a blue moon do I see a split end.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2015 6:45:00 AM More reviews by raluko

I`ve been using this as a moisturizer for my body after baths/showers and I absolutely love the way it works. It`s a little hard scooping it out of the jar, but it melts at body temperature really well and sinks quickly into the skin with a nice massage. The only thing I am not crazy about is that I end up smelling like a dessert, but hey, to get good skin without using bizarre chemicals, it`s totally worth it. Will try using it as a hair mask, as some of the users on here have done.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2015 6:34:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use 1 1/2 tspns of this in my hair before shampooing. No its not alot but i dont want to be a grease ball or struggle to wash it out. I warm up the oil in a separate boil of warm water and then massage into my scalp and ends. I comb it through to make sure it gets evenly distributed and either sleep with it overnight or put my hair up in a messy bun or french braid during the day. I find that I get the best results if I leave it in for most of the day. After that I just shampoo my hair once with a sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner. I do this twice a week. I've noticed that my 2c/3a curls are more defined since I started using coconut oil. Also i can't be sure if this is a fluke or not, but my hair is falling out less in the shower when I shampoo. I'm talking about half the quantity of hair.I would love to hear from other reviewers to find out if they're experiencing the same thing.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2015 1:12:00 PM More reviews by Chrisofia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Looking for a natural facial cleanser and moisturizer, I started washing my face with honey and moisturizing with coconut oil. My face it typically dry, and not particularly sensitive or acne-prone. For the first few months, the combo was great. Then, just before my brother's wedding, I broke out in a rash and whiteheads. I immediately stopped using the coconut oil and honey, but I continue to get whiteheads any time I use a moisturizer (3 months later). I am convinced it was the coconut oil that ruined my skin. It is amazing how having bad skin can ruin your self-esteem. I would do anything to back in time and never have use coconut oil for my face. Beware!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2015 11:20:00 PM More reviews by wiwi45678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My holy grail facial moisturizer, deep hair treatment, chapped lipbalm, and cuticle treatment. I go through entire bottles of coconut oil because it is dirt cheap, has no additives, and literally changed my face and hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2015 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Fabulousblonde

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this after cleansing. Its a great moisturiser and leaves my skin soft in the morning. It has helped keep my skin in good condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by SilvaEgle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

BEYOND AMAZING!! I can't get enough of coconut oil. The amount of uses it has is insane. Living in Colorado it's so drying; I need constant moisture. I could not imagine my life without it! I use it to make all natural products, as a lip moisturizer, on my split ends in my hair, as lotion after a bath, on my face where I get dry patches & SOOO much more. My fiancÚ's a chef, he cooks with it!! Coconut oil is the bees knees you need it in your life now... Go!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by cyens

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love coconut oil! I buy cosmetic grade coconut oil, I use it in my homemade cold press soaps and homemade lotion. Perhaps you need to use cosmetic grade on your skin, no cooking grade, this i why so many people got reaction. Also, I make sure is cold press virgin coconut oil, not solvent extraction, which is full of not so good stuff.
I use this on my body, mixed with shea, cocoa, almond, olive and/or argan oil, then I add my own essential oils depending my needs. Most of the time its lavender, geranium, grapefruit, sometimes rosemary, I just change it up each time.

This stuff is amazing! I haven't used store bough lotion in over 10 years, I just make my own. I used to have really bad dry skin and psoriasis, and now its all gone. Store bough lotion is full of crap, even highend stuff, the main ingredients are always just water, mineral oil and silicons, and the actual good oils are listed last.

PS: I don't use it on my face, only on my body, for my face I use jojoba oil.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 6:15:00 PM More reviews by racistpretzels

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just don't get it. This oil is supposed to be one of the most comedogenic and worst for acne, but somehow, MIRACULOUSLY, this stuff is great on my skin. I have had TERRIBLE acne in the past and my skin is definitely acneprone, but I have been using coconut oil for over a year and it always leaves my skin soft and helps my breakouts. This "strange" occurence almost leads me to believe that people are just using too much oil on their face. I can definitely see this causing breakouts when you use too much.

All I do is take a MINISCULE amount, probably less than 1/8 of a teaspoon, rub it into my fingertips/palms, and pat it onto my face fresh out of the shower (after I've sprayed apple cider vinegar as a toner).

Sometimes I like to try new facial moisturizers but I always end up coming back to coconut oil and it never fails me. Not only do I use this on my face, but it makes for a great body oil fresh out of the shower, and I use it in baking, stir frys, etc. Just a great versatile product.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2014 4:55:00 PM More reviews by dperezr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too was a victim of this very very dangerous skin care product that hides behind many articles and reviews that rave about how natural and good this is for your Skin.

Be very very aware because this can be the end of your skin. And I mean it. I will tell you my story and you'll decide if you give this a go or not. Also understand that everyone reacts different to things. But with this you should be specially careful because it can either give you perfect skin or a skin full of cystic acne that will leave you with scars, many many scars. Or it can give you both. Perfect skin for a couple of months follow by a face full of cysts.

So after changing my diet I decided to change skin care products. Sure enough coconut super hype oil was at the front of all the other natural products. Even though I read the bad reviews, and even though I knew the comedogenic scale of this oil is 4 out of 5, I decided to ignore this vital facts and give it a go. I really thought I was a special snowflake and that somehow the laws of physics didn't apply to me. Well what a mistake that was cuz 3 months after using ORGANIC extra virgin coconut oil, hell broke lose. At least 3 new cyst every day for at least 3 weeks with no breaks. It's been 7 months and I still haven't got better. My skin has been violated multiple times and then some by coconut oil. My pores are so sore from the penetration of hard cysts.

It wouldn't had been so bad if it wasn't by the fact that coconut oil made my skin GORGEOUS for 3 MONTHS! And I'm not the only one that experience this type of effect. Which is like marrying a super model just to find out 3 months later that she looks like fiona from Sherk after she takes her makeup off. False advertisement right there.

For the purpose of objectivity I will say that coconut oil help me massively with the blackheads I have in my nose. I'll say my blackheads got reduce by 70 percent. But any oil will do that if you massage it on your nose. So thank you coconut for showing me the way to clear my blackheads. Also it's supposed to be really healthy orally. And I use it for all my cooking.

In the end the choice is yours. You can either try it and regret it, try it and love it, or not try it and regret not knowing what if. But one thing is for sure, if you do try it, hold on tight, because you are about to experience the mother of all emotional roller-coaster.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No