September 22, 2014 | 2209 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by msmaryam95

A warning to all those with acne prone skin: PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! This stuff gave me THE worst breakout of my life. Im talking like massive boils all on my cheeks as well as clogging up every single pore on my face. I was using top quality organic extra virgin coconut oil and for the first 2 weeks it was great. Then I started noticing my skin was drier and I was getting these wrinkles everywhere and I'm only 20 with oily skin. My skin started getting rougher and by the 3 week point a new boil was emerginf on my face every day. I am now dealing with the hideous scarring and I am sooo upset I even decided to try this. Pleaseeee proceed with caution, if for any reason your skin changes for the worse, STOP IMMEDIATELY, there is no such thing as a "purge", your skin is trying to tell you to BACK THE HELL OFF!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by sierrab2010

I've heard amazing things about coconut oil so I decided to give it a try. I realized after purchasing that I bought the wrong kind (I meant to grab organic) but I've been using it anyway because, well, I did spend money on it and don't want to waste it. Anyway, I started out putting a teaspoon in my tea - well let me just tell you guys that if you have a sensitive stomach like me, please don't do this. It made me get sick. Take it with food or after you've eaten a decent meal. Now, I mix it in with my peanut butter toast and can't taste it and it doesn't make me nauseous. As for putting it on my face, I'm still a tad skeptical just because I break out so easily. It's super oily so you don't need to use much at all. It's been five days and I've noticed that my pimples are starting to finally dry up and the marks they typically leave behind are diminishing fast. I don't leave it on all night though, I put it on my face for a few hours then wash it off (apparently this helps prevent breakouts because the oil penetrates pores and cleans them out). I will purchase a higher quality CO this weekend and see if my skin continues to improve.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/6/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yes, I love coconut oil. Medium-chain triglycerides, anti-microbial properties, doesn't degrade at high temperatures, etc. I use it for cooking, and I find it to be the best oil for oil-pulling. As a moisturizer, it was really good: absorbs relatively well considering it's an oil, smells heavenly, made my skin silky smooth... The problem? It gets on my clothes, my towels, my sheets... Oils are hard to get out in the wash, even with hot hot water and intense wash settings. And while coconut oil is pretty shelf stable in the jar, it's not immune to rancidity, especially if you're dipping damp hands into it or you get some water in the jar -- it does go rancid. The residual coconut oil on my clothes and towels eventually turns, and my only recourse is to get them dry cleaned or toss them.

I'm surprised so few others seem to have noticed this. I do have a more sensitive sense of smell than most, but this goes beyond that. It's unbearable. I might use it occasionally for my feet (with some designated socks) or as a brief hand treatment, but I for one cannot live with the reek.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

im gonna start off by saying i will never use CO on my face. i tried it once and it was a HUGE mistake. i am very acne prone and it just didnt work. anywho, i have used EVCO everyday for 4 years to take off my eye makeup. it works like a charm! its also great to use as a hair mask and awesome for cooking. try a little bit in the pan the next time you make scrambled eggs. sounds strange but you wont regret it ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Ninamw31

I buy my coconut oil from trader joes. I love it and I use it for everything - seriously. even my children know if someone has a scratch or bug bite or dry skin, whatever, put coconut oil on it! I love to rub a little bit in my hands and smooth down my hair after I flat iron, it makes my hair so smooth and shiny. a little bit goes a long way! I have also used it on my skin for a moisturizer for face and body. no issues with body but for the face it can break me out a little. I had a rash on my face due to an allergic reaction and I applied coconut oil liberally on my face before bed and when I woke up the rash looked 10x better and I only had a couple small pimples in the following days. that is to be expected though when applying a thick layer of heavy oil on my face though :) coconut oil is a cure all and I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this for my hair, using a teeny dab on the ends under my styler when they are really dry, or to protect them from pool water before I swim, or sometimes just coating my hair with it, doing a run or workout, them washing it out. My guess is anyone who doesn't need conditioner every time after shampooing will hate this on their hair and find it too greasy. I can't use it on my body except for my legs, it triggers sd flares.

As for cooking....you must use it in food that goes with coconut flavor! Then it will be nice. If you use it in chocolate cake it will be chocolate coconut cake. It goes nicely with any dishes that involve pineapple or mango too. Coconut flavor just won't go with things like chicken Parmesan or pork chops with rosemary and garlic! You get a more refined coconut oil that has been deodorized of the coconut flavor for those cooking purposes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2014 5:52:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am now a believer of coconut oil! I purchased the La Tourangelle's unrefined virgin coconut oil for about $10 at Target.

I originally bought this because i started getting small bumps around my Knees and on my upper thighs aka keratosis pilaris. I wanted to try out home remedies first before heading to the doctors. Coconut oil was the #1 remedy that I found online.

When I first bought the bottle, it was white and solid. Ever since i started using it, the oil has remained liquid. I live in Hawaii and it's pretty warm so maybe that has something to do with it??

I wanted to test this out before writing a review. I honestly 110% can say now that my keratosis pilaris is gone. I used coconut oil on the dry patches for about 2-3 weeks right after the shower, every single night.

I also use this for dry patches that I randomly get on my face and eyelids. I've been researching other way to use coconut oil and I'm excited to try them out. If I ever do run out of this product, I would definitely repurchase! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by flamencovixen

I've used coconut oil both as a hair treatment and to remove makeup/sunscreen.
I'm not fond of it as a hair treatment even though I know that this is what it's commonly used for. I just find that it leaves my hair greasy even after washing it. In my experience, I've had to wash my hair three times to get the greasiness out.

My preference is to use coconut oil to remove my makeup and sunscreen. I just scoop a bit onto my palm and then rub my palm together to warm it up so that it liquefies, then I massage it onto my face. I wipe my face with a baby wipe (the Kirkland brand baby wipe from Costco) to remove the dirt. The coconut oil is a cheaper and natural alternative to oil cleansers that I have purchased and I am quite happy with using it. A jar of this oil lasts me a long time. I don't mind that it is solid in room temperature - it actually makes it easier to travel with (less likely to spill/leak when it's in solid form than when it's liquefied).

I've read that coconut oil is comedogenic but I have had no problems with break outs when using this as an oil cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Cooking, Beauty, Massage and topical applications.
Very versatile - be sure to get pure food grade if you plan to ingest it.

Good for saponification and topical aromatherapeutic (carrier) purposes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

I use the Trader Joe's brand. I've used coconut oil for 2 purposes so far:

Hair Mask - combine equal parts coconut oil and jojoba oil and apply to dry hair. Wrap in a towel or cover with shower cap and let sit at least 30 minutes, then wash and condition as usual. This was really messy, but it made my hair super soft and shiny. However, it did make my hair a touch greasy for the first day. Easy and fairly inexpensive.

Body Moisturizer - combine about 4 T. coconut oil and about 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit essential oil and store in a flip-top bottle. This stays in liquid form for me if I keep it in the bathroom. It's not only moisturizing, but the grapefruit EO is supposed to be beneficial in detoxing the body. I like to dry brush, shower, and then apply this moisturizer while still damp. Leaves my skin soft and smooth. Again, easy and fairly inexpensive.

Have not begun to cook with this yet, nor have I had the courage to try oil pulling or the oil cleansing method, but they're all things I'm curious about.