Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 7/19/2015 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

From what I've read (shop smart mag) coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft extremely well making it one of the best conditioners available period. Combined with the reviews here I use it exclusively as my deep conditioner for a few hours or overnight one a week. My hair is completely condutiobed and healthy..finally! And I have a high lift blond hair color. HG for me.

on 7/13/2015 8:16:00 AM

EVCO is one of my favorite natural/carrier oils. It's a light oil and a little goes a long way. I mainly use it for cooking and my hair (pre-poo or sealant). Other times I use it as a face and body oil. The faint sweet scent of coconut after a warm shower is pleasant and uplifting. It feels silky and smooth and so does my hair and skin after use. It also has a strengthening effect on my hair. Love it!

on 7/8/2015 5:49:00 AM

I am eternally grateful to mother nature for producing this miracle product. For probably the last three years I have used this as a makeup remover, hair treatment, face serum (it's not quite moisturising enough to use alone so I layer night cream over it in the evening and wake up with glowing, luscious skin), for oil pulling and for shaving. It has cleared up my face, is the most effective makeup remover I have ever come across, it has made my eyelashes and eyebrows grow SO much, and saved my hair. It has also made me realise how harsh commercial cleansers and makeup removers are. I went on holiday a few months ago and forgot my coconut oil, so out of desperation I ended up buying some cleansing wipes for 'sensitive skin'... my skin was angry, red, and sore.

I will never stop using this stuff :)

I initially started using coconut oil to make a body/face scrub recipe I found on a blog (coconut oil, castor sugar and lemon juice). The results were my face didn't like it (clogged my pores), but it works well on my body. I especially like using it as a hand scrub, no more purchasing Sally Hansen hand scrub! My hands feel soft and smooth, and at a fraction of the cost.

Recently I made a tooth paste recipe from this blog: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/homemade-toothpaste-with-coconut-oil.html
The taste is OK and my teeth feel smooth and clean. I'm not sold on all the uses mentioned on that page - for example, as a lip balm it feels too thin and doesn't stay on. But nothing ventured, nothing gained - things are worth trying.

I've also used it for athlete's foot (in between my toes), from the gym shower and it worked. My hair is long, thick and fine with oily roots, so using a spare amount of coconut oil warmed in my hands and applied to the ends of my hair, then tie it in a top knot before I go to aqua aerobic class- it works well. I shampoo as normal and my hair feels silky and looks great. I use hair dryers a couple times a week and the damage that causes has been reduced IMO. I think the key, for me anyway, is to use a small amount only to the ends of my hair, otherwise I have to shampoo too frequently.

I'll update this review as new discoveries come along, but overall I'm glad to have jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon and advise others to give it a try!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Here's the thing; I really do like this, but I just can't give it 5 lippies.

Let's start with the things I love about it: it's a great makeup remover, it's a good body moisturizer, a great hair treatment, an awesome shaving oil, but I CANNOT use this as a face oil!

So, I used to use olive oil as a face oil and THOUGHT it worked well, but it was just too heavy for my oily skin and it made me break out (I don't even know why I thought it was good for my skin). Then I decide to try this because Pinterest was like, "This is, like, soy good for your skin", so I decided to use it and my skin was great, until about a month ago when I got some CYSTIC ACNE along my cheeks and forehead! I thought that it was just hormonal because I tend to break out a week before my period and it heals by the time my period starts, but this took much, MUCH longer and by that, I mean they have just finished healing right now.

I recently found out that this has happened to a lot of people. I've also just now found out that I am very prone to comedogenic breakouts, so I'll need to find something non- comedogenic or something with very low comedogenicty. I would repurchase this, but I just won't use this a a face oil. Hope this helped you!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

use as hair mask for my bleached dry hair

on 6/16/2015 3:50:00 PM

I love using coconut oil as a moisturizer after i exfoliate! just warm up a little bit in your hands and thats all you need.

Makes your skin glow, especially in the summer!

I also love putting this on my nails and cuticles, my nails have gotten so much brighter and stronger.

on 6/6/2015 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

At first i felt gross putting it on my skin but it ended up working... never wasting my money on another moisturizer again. I use this on my face. I also have oily skin.. it did not make it more oily.. in fact i think it helps control oil in some way.. also i am acne prone it didnt break me out. Really helped with my dry forehead and my always irritated cheeks are improving. I honestly did not think it was gonna do anything.

Haven't tried this on my hair yet, but love love love it on my face! Some people seem to hate it on their faces, but it works great for me. I started using it under my eyes originally, because I read that the components in coconut oil actually help eliminate wrinkles. i then ended up spreading it to the rest of my face. My complexion has evened out drastically, no more red patches. I don't have acne prone skin though, this might not be good for people with acne. At least that's what I've gained from reading the negative reviews. Anway, when I use this I am comftorable going makeup less to work, as my face looks and feels refreshed. It also makes my lips softer as well. Overall great product, I get mine from Trader Joes.

on 5/24/2015 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I had to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon because it's so multipurpose and I'm also a fan of using oils in beauty. I'm rating it 4 overall because it is very effective at some things but not without issue.

First up, I have dry skin on face and body, and mostly dry to damaged hair. I'm not particularly prone to cystic acne anymore after winning a decade long battle with it, but still get the occasional hormonal bumps, frequent closed comedones usually caused by external factors, and I have large pores particularly in my T zone . I'm not sensitive apart from the eye area.

Very important to note: yes, coconut oil can break you out as it has a comodogenic rating of 4. It's not guaranteed to do so even if you have acne prone skin, nor will you be surely safe if you have dry or hardy skin. As with all products, PATCH TEST!!!

FACE: I've tried this as a make up remover, cleanser and moisturiser. It doesn't absorb quickly but does leave skin very soft. For this reason it's great to spray on a little at night over usual moisture and it acts as a sleeping mask.

It's not a strong cleanser but good for an oil massage then remove with another gentle or foaming cleanser. It take a lot of work to rinse clean with water alone. While it is gentle on the eyes I prefer to just soak a cotton pad and leave on my eye for a minute to remove make up and not have to scrub at all. It does loosen mascara and shadow but a bit of scrubbing is required and also a cleanse after to remove the oil film. I haven't noticed any growth in my lashes or brows but they seem a bit healthier and less brittle.

This doesn't outperform my usual daily cleanser or moisturiser, but I take some when I travel (1 week each month) because it saves space being so multifunctional, and best of all in my opinion: is a skin saver on long flights. I spritz some on as a moisturiser before boarding and it stops my skin dehydrating even on a long haul. Likewise I apply it immediately after getting out of the swimming pool or steam room at the gym, because my skin literally falls off after those 2. I leave it on for between 10 minutes to an hour then wash it off in the shower with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. These 2 reasons alone are why I need this product in my life. It stops my skin from drying out and flaking off when I subject it to harsh conditions. Instead of leathery, painful skin it becomes buttery soft and plump.

LIPS: closed comedone alert for me. I don't think this was a better treatment than other oils, paw paw ointment, fresh sugar balms, or even plain old vaseline. Worth a shot but wasn't as impressed with this function.

BODY: brilliant. My only complaint is if I use too much it takes forever to sink in. It performs well as a shaving oil and moisturiser. So soothing post shave. I used it recently on sunburn as I didn't have my trusty Aloe vera plant on hand, and while it didn't heal as well as fresh Aloe gel, it definitely soothed and hydrated the skin to prevent it going to red and peeling so now I have a very small but dark tan on my back.

HAIR: like everyone has said - go for it. I used argan oil as treatments and this is way better; it doesn't weigh down my healthy roots and it's absorbs into my crispy, damaged ends and makes them soft and shiny. You can spray a bit on after conditioner and before drying but less is more. My favourite treatment is to massage about 60ml (2 ounces?) all over my long hair, let it sit for half hour or as long as I can, then follow with shampoo and conditioner. No other leave it treatments or oils required.

Sorry this is so long, I've tried to be thorough and honest about my experience...

IN SUMMARY: I've found coconut oil to usually perform better and have less negative effects if I leave it on for a bit then wash off. When I just leave it on it makes my skin greasy which rules out makeup, and I get closed comedones around my lips. Jojoba oil does this to me too and only has a comodogenic rating of 2, so each to their own with oils. Ironically I use an oil blend to massage and cleanse my face to remove closed comedones! Just experiment with different oils and blends to what's going to work well as a cleanser or moisturiser for you. But for me, cold pressed Virgin coconut oil moisturises, plumps and softens better than any other oil I've tried. I've tried a lot, with the previous favourite all rounders being almond oil and pricey argan oil. I was not keen to try it because it can be volatile according to all the reviews, but I'm glad I did as all of the benefits for my skin and circumstances outweigh a bit of initial greasiness and a few closed comedones which are easy fixed. I respect that people have different experiences and am thankful for all of the detailed and thoughtful reviews which gave me ideas on what to watch for and creative ways to use it.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products