October 22, 2014 | 916 users online

Lip Gloss - The Body Shop - Vanilla Spice Shimmer Lip Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by Dolly444

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This plastic pot is the old version I believe. I have this one but the metal one also (I have to say though, the metal one looks more expensive haha).

I bought the metal one first a couple of years ago because I loved the smell! It was £4 as of December 2010 but then I think it went to half price in the sale. Unfortunately though, the lip balm doesn't work for me. It was really pale (white inside the tin, a different frmula to the plastic tub version) and it was incredibly dry on my lips, not moisturising at all! If I applied it, I had to put a layer of Vaseline onto my lips first otherwise the Vanilla Spice would just become bitty after a few minutes and look awful. So if I am using it (because let's face it, the smell is divine), then Vaseline is my best friend.

With regards to the older plastic pot version, I bought an unsealed Vanilla Spice off the internet a few months ago. This one is much better than the metal version! Nowhere near as drying, not as pale (hence it looks better on lips!) and it is just easier to apply. The consistency is even and similar to the Strawberry and Raspberry Born Lippy lip balms. I wish I had discovered this one first.

So to conclude(!), if you have the metal pot then best of luck. It clealy isn't me. I went mad in the sale and bought four little pots of the Vanilla Spice because it went to £1 or something, but it doesn't do much for my lips. Those pots may have to become gifts haha. The plastic pot version, however, is much more lip-friendly for me! Go plastic pot :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by MoiJo

I have a metallic tub for this lip balm, though it smells great, it did nothing for my lips. It just sits there. It has this whitish cast and shimmer that does not do any good. Not happy with this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2011 9:33:00 AM More reviews by patchworkbee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

- did not do much for my lips
- smells delicious
- great tip i was given: USE IT AS CUTICLE balm
- another great idea: USE IT AS HIGHLIGHTER
- and: USE IT TO TAME YOUR EYEBROWS

tried all the above and it does work, really. just make sure you dont use to much on your brows. it is kind of shiny. but for an evening out look its just perfect. as for the cuticles: i use it now every evening - and behold - it works. its ok as a highlighter but does not keep very long. you could use any lip balm for the above!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2010 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Saga17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I like the spicy vanilla scent that this product has but to me it tastes nothing (?). It moisturizes lips quite well but it doesn't last very long on the lips. It gives very little shimmer. The jar is quite big IMO, it lasts for ages!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2009 1:04:00 AM More reviews by jeremiah2911

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

smells great, tastes great. but dried my lips out pretty bad. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my lips then they went back to normal after I stopped using this. strange, because I'm usually impressed with Body Shop products.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 9:11:00 AM More reviews by TangyCandy

I really like this lipbalm.
First of all,it smells amazing.To me,it smells like warm gingerbread cookies and it's not at all artificial.Have you smelled the Philosophy's Gingerbread Man lip gloss?Well,it smells so much better and so much more realistic than that.
I find Gingerbread Man too be too spicy to the point that when I wear it,sometimes it makes me sneeze.
The consistency of the lipbalm is creamy and rich,it almost melts on the lips and it's not too sticky or too liquidy--it's in the middle.
As for the shimmer,it's not too glittery,it's a barely there fvery fine golden shimmer that's barely noticeable,it just adds that little bit of shine you need for an everyday natural look.
It is moisturising,it protects my lips from chapping,unlike other lipglosses that dry my lips out,but don't expect uber moisturising properties from a lipgloss,that's what chapstick is for.
As for the price,I believe it's affordable.
I think the original price was 4.50 euros,but when I got it,it was 30% off,so I paid about 3.20.
Overall,it's a very nice lipbalm/gloss,perfect for not just the holidays.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2008 6:25:00 PM More reviews by danai

I got this as a Christmas present along with the matching body butter (which is awesome). It's not bad, it's quite pleasant to use actually, but I'm not crazy about it either. It smells like cinnamon cookies, which I adore. It has a pretty champagne colour in the pot, however on the lips it looks clear, with very subtle shimmer. It goes on smooth and is not sticky, plus makes lips look full and shiny. However it doesn't offer much as far as moisturizing is concerned, so people who say it's a simple, basic gloss rather than a balm are absolutely right in my opinion. It also needs to be reapplied frequently, but that is something you would expect from a balm or a simple gloss. The pot is not the most hygienic form of packaging, but it's easy to use on the go, provided you have no problem applying with your fingers.
All in all this is a cute little thing that feels nice on the lips and is good to have in your bag. Also not very expensive for the amount you get (though not very cheap either). However I don't think I'd bother purchasing this myself, although I probably won't need to because there's plenty of it in the pot to last me for ages even if I use it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by essija

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree this does smell like cinnamon vanilla cookies. So soft and shimmery, I like it alot b/c it's not ooey and gooey like most lip balms. This stuff is highly rated by me...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by SophH

I love, love this scent-I can't get enough of it-it's like vanilla and cinnamon cookies. I love the taste of the lipbalm and the subtle shimmer is nice but it dries out my lips. I want to like it, but I just can't.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2008 5:32:00 PM More reviews by honeysmile137

I bought this shimmer lip balm with Cranberry for half price during the post-Christmas sales. It is a creamy beige colour with gold sparkles in the the tub but turns out clear on the lips. It smells delicious but is one of those scents that gets really annoying after using it for months (and it doesn't help that I have only used about 1/5 of it!). The main problem is that it is not moisturizing at all and makes my lips drier. I hate the tub that it comes with too because I never carry a lip brush and have to use my fingers all the time. Wouldn't buy again because I think you can find better, more moisturizing, clear glosses.