Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (glycerin- and glycol-based water-binding agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Niacinamide (vitamin B3/cell-communicating ingredient), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emollients), Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (stabilizer), Laureth-4, Laureth-23 (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, and Sorbic Acid (all preservatives).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this product! I have acne prone skin so in the morning after I cleanse (normally with micellar water) I use this as a moisturizer. I pour a tiny bit into my palm, rub it between my hands and then apply a layer or two to my face. It's not it's intended use but if your skin isn't too dry this might work for you too! It doesn't break me out and it lasts a long time this way so I feel like I won't have to repurchase for a while.

I love this stuff. I'm 33 with normal to dry sensitive very acne prone skin. This would be, as they say, a holy grail. It's just beautiful. Like milky water, I just splash some on every day and it really does feel like it calms my skin. Though I have dryish skin, most lotions and creams make me break out and this toner seems to be enough moisturizer for me while never causing breakouts and actually seeming to help prevent them. I use Paula's Choice Clear Regular Strength Anti Redness BHA 2% and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 30 during the day and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream (which contains retinol) at night after this and I feel moisturized enough and not irritated.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is really great for my sensitive, dehydrated skin.
Due to the harsh cold weather my skin was itching like crazy. It was extremely unpleasant to wash my face in the morning and night.
I was always a bit hesitant about adding another step in my routine. For roughly ten years it consisted of a cleanser and maybe an spf our heavy thick cream. Depending on the season.
But in the last year I developed exzema and rosacea so I needed to take better care of my skin.
I had some samples of this laying around and I ordered a big bottle of this Unfortunately pricey stuff. But it calms my redness down and relieves the itching.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This product was nice, I guess, but it definitely never felt essential to my skin care routine. It was part of my first PC order, but it ran out first (just a month in!) and I threw it away right after. I don't use a toner in my current skin care routine, either, so maybe I'm just not a contender for this sort of product, but, I don't know. This never felt as though it did much for my skin. The bottle was also really clunky and always dispensed too much product- which is really disappointing because this was pretty expensive. It was nice for taking off my last bits of makeup, but if you invest in a nice cleanser, you should be fine, too. This was too liquidy, expensive, and unnecessary for me to want to purchase it again. That being said, if you want to try this out and you haven't purchased from PC before, you can use this link: http://goo.gl/mlJdKK to get this toner for $10 instead of $20, which is way more reasonable!

I am near the bottom of my second bottle, and already have a third bottle waiting to go.
In regards to the standard perception of toners, I wouldn't even call this one.

I refuse to miss this step in my skin care, it feels so nice on my face - and I notice a difference when I wake up the next morning if I didn't use it (not a good difference).

My skin is dry and dehydrated. I use this night and often in the morning. It's a great step before I use my BHA.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This toner is brilliant. I'm afraid to admit that I often skip using a toner due to never finding one that I really like. Most that I have used in the past have been for the sake of it and when it's used up I'm not in any hurry to replace it. This however is completely different because it actually feels as though there's a purpose to using it. It's extremely gentle on my skin and I feel as though it is an important step in my skin care routine now so I believe I will be repurchasing this as it is an excellent product :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Most companies can't figure out how to make good toners that don't contain alcohol, fragrance, or dye. I can't use most of them. And to add insult to injury, some companies say things in their sales material like "a tingle lets you know it's working," which is advertising speak for, "We put a bunch of alcohol in this product and it's irritating your skin right now." When I was a teenager, I thought toners were supposed to do that. They're not. :)

Paula's Choice is a company that consistently makes excellent, non-irritating toners that benefit the skin. This is one of the best things about the PC skin care line. Even the toners for oily skin don't have alcohol. Brilliant.

When I had a horrible reaction (contact dermatitis) to a Biore cleanser, I went through all my other products trying to find things my inflamed red skin could tolerate. I could not find a single toner from a drugstore brand that didn't burn. I could use Kate Somerville's Clarifying Toner, but wow, it's expensive.

This toner is great for sensitive skin and/or dry skin. If my skin gets dry from a medication (such as Retin-A Micro) and I get a flaky area, I know that applying this with a cotton pad will help. It's less moisturizing than a lotion, but that's nice for skin types who are trying to avoid heavy, greasy creams but still need moisture. It really does help calm my skin.

Best suited for normal to dry and/or sensitive skin. (It's not designed to control oil - she has some great toners that are especially for oily skin. Please try those if you have oily skin.) Appropriate to try if you have rosacea or another inflammatory condition.

Sample packets are available for a low cost on the website, so you can try before you buy.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 2 months and have seen a very significant difference in my skin. The major difference is the way my skin glows and the way makeup enhances that instead of covering and/or making me look worse because of the bad texture of my skin. I have extremely dry AND dehydrated skin. This toner hydrates after cleansing and removes all traces of makeup and dirt. I appreciate that it has antioxidants in to help skin defend itself. You get a lot product, the packaging is effective and the price is reasonable.

This is, by far, my favorite PC product.

Pros - Beautiful milky texture; soothing to skin; full of great ingredients; effectively removes traces of dirt, residue, and makeup; leaves skin soft, supple, and rehydrated after cleansing.

Cons - None. I can't think of a single one.

I've tried a LOT of PC products, and I've been impressed by many of them. But, as their prices continue to rise, I have been looking for alternatives in other brands.

This is the one product from PC that I know I cannot replace. Even if I find a replacement for every other step in my routine, this is the one product that will keep me as a PC customer.

This is the product that convinced me that toners can actually do something. I have very sensitive skin, and find this calming and cooling after cleansing my face. My skin also seems smoother and more hydrated when I use this as part of my routine.