Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (glycerin- and glycol-based water-binding agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Niacinamide (vitamin B3/cell-communicating ingredient), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emollients), Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (stabilizer), Laureth-4, Laureth-23 (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, and Sorbic Acid (all preservatives).

on 8/6/2015 4:57:00 PM

This toner is brilliant. I'm afraid to admit that I often skip using a toner due to never finding one that I really like. Most that I have used in the past have been for the sake of it and when it's used up I'm not in any hurry to replace it. This however is completely different because it actually feels as though there's a purpose to using it. It's extremely gentle on my skin and I feel as though it is an important step in my skin care routine now so I believe I will be repurchasing this as it is an excellent product :)

on 7/15/2015 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Most companies can't figure out how to make good toners that don't contain alcohol, fragrance, or dye. I can't use most of them. And to add insult to injury, some companies say things in their sales material like "a tingle lets you know it's working," which is advertising speak for, "We put a bunch of alcohol in this product and it's irritating your skin right now." When I was a teenager, I thought toners were supposed to do that. They're not. :)

Paula's Choice is a company that consistently makes excellent, non-irritating toners that benefit the skin. This is one of the best things about the PC skin care line. Even the toners for oily skin don't have alcohol. Brilliant.

When I had a horrible reaction (contact dermatitis) to a Biore cleanser, I went through all my other products trying to find things my inflamed red skin could tolerate. I could not find a single toner from a drugstore brand that didn't burn. I could use Kate Somerville's Clarifying Toner, but wow, it's expensive.

This toner is great for sensitive skin and/or dry skin. If my skin gets dry from a medication (such as Retin-A Micro) and I get a flaky area, I know that applying this with a cotton pad will help. It's less moisturizing than a lotion, but that's nice for skin types who are trying to avoid heavy, greasy creams but still need moisture. It really does help calm my skin.

Best suited for normal to dry and/or sensitive skin. (It's not designed to control oil - she has some great toners that are especially for oily skin. Please try those if you have oily skin.) Appropriate to try if you have rosacea or another inflammatory condition.

Sample packets are available for a low cost on the website, so you can try before you buy.

on 4/27/2015 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 2 months and have seen a very significant difference in my skin. The major difference is the way my skin glows and the way makeup enhances that instead of covering and/or making me look worse because of the bad texture of my skin. I have extremely dry AND dehydrated skin. This toner hydrates after cleansing and removes all traces of makeup and dirt. I appreciate that it has antioxidants in to help skin defend itself. You get a lot product, the packaging is effective and the price is reasonable.

on 3/2/2015 3:34:00 AM

This is, by far, my favorite PC product.

Pros - Beautiful milky texture; soothing to skin; full of great ingredients; effectively removes traces of dirt, residue, and makeup; leaves skin soft, supple, and rehydrated after cleansing.

Cons - None. I can't think of a single one.

I've tried a LOT of PC products, and I've been impressed by many of them. But, as their prices continue to rise, I have been looking for alternatives in other brands.

This is the one product from PC that I know I cannot replace. Even if I find a replacement for every other step in my routine, this is the one product that will keep me as a PC customer.

on 2/24/2015 4:37:00 AM

This is the product that convinced me that toners can actually do something. I have very sensitive skin, and find this calming and cooling after cleansing my face. My skin also seems smoother and more hydrated when I use this as part of my routine.

on 2/5/2015 9:26:00 AM

When I first ordered from Paula's Choice, I chose exfoliators and toners, because these are the product types other brands lack the most. Now I know there is a reason why: they try to stay on the safe side. Although this toner was better than the Moisture Boost, which gave me immediate and serious irritation, if I used a bit more than the smallest amount, I got irritation (redness) from Skin Recovery as well. Beside this, neither products gave any moisture to my skin, so naturally both of them landed in the trash can. If you want to try any toner or exfoliator from Paula, try a sample first and try it on your arm or only a small part of your face. My skin is not really sensitive, I can use any product with fragrance for example without irritation.

I love this toner! Nice and moisturising for my sensitive skin! I love the price of Paula's choice as well. I'd recommend getting this range to people who suffer from redness like me and want to improve their skin's appearance - very happy! Nearly finished and definitely getting more!

I did a blog post on the products I have if anyone is interested:

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this toner. I find that after I shower or wash my face, my skin does not stay red for long after I use this - it really does have a calming effect for me. Also, my skin in general has shown less irritation and sensitivity after I started using this (probably due to the antioxidants and anti-irritants), and feels softer. I decided to purchase this instead of the antioxidant serum for sensitive skin, as I'm not sure that my skin really needs retinol treatment yet. This provides good skin treatment so that I can continue to use my regular moisturizer and still get the benefits of antioxidants.

on 8/18/2014 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin is both dry, sensitive, and acne prone. I have not used toner since high school as they are usually far too harsh for my skin. This is nice and gentle, it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. Like all Paulas Choice products this is fragrance free, and what a relief as toner usually smells awful. Unlike regular toners, this does not burn or sting when applied. This product really stands out even among her other products. I would repurchase as there are no dupes or even comparable products.

on 6/14/2014 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Toners get a terrible reputation and mostly with good reason. I remember how tight and dry my face felt the first time I tried a toner as a young teen and I avoided them ever since. In my mind, dry skin types did not need a toner.

Boy, was I wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong! This stuff is THE BEST. My skin soaks this up this product and feels refreshed and extra clean! Out of the bottle, it looks like skim milk and glides on very nicely with a cotton pad. It has no alcohol or added fragrance and actually moisturizers my skin. It's also a wonderful prep for exfoliation (if I use an exfoliant without this my skin is not very happy.). Definitely a must for those with dry, sensitive skin who are looking to add an AHA/BHA exfoliant to their routine.