Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (glycerin- and glycol-based water-binding agent), Dimethiconol (silicone slip agent), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil (non-volatile plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Niacinamide (vitamin B3/cell-communicating ingredient), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (emollients), Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate (stabilizer), Laureth-4, Laureth-23 (emulsifiers), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, and Sorbic Acid (all preservatives).

on 3/2/2015 3:34:00 AM

This is, by far, my favorite PC product.

Pros - Beautiful milky texture; soothing to skin; full of great ingredients; effectively removes traces of dirt, residue, and makeup; leaves skin soft, supple, and rehydrated after cleansing.

Cons - None. I can't think of a single one.

I've tried a LOT of PC products, and I've been impressed by many of them. But, as their prices continue to rise, I have been looking for alternatives in other brands.

This is the one product from PC that I know I cannot replace. Even if I find a replacement for every other step in my routine, this is the one product that will keep me as a PC customer.

on 2/24/2015 4:37:00 AM

This is the product that convinced me that toners can actually do something. I have very sensitive skin, and find this calming and cooling after cleansing my face. My skin also seems smoother and more hydrated when I use this as part of my routine.

on 2/5/2015 9:26:00 AM

When I first ordered from Paula's Choice, I chose exfoliators and toners, because these are the product types other brands lack the most. Now I know there is a reason why: they try to stay on the safe side. Although this toner was better than the Moisture Boost, which gave me immediate and serious irritation, if I used a bit more than the smallest amount, I got irritation (redness) from Skin Recovery as well. Beside this, neither products gave any moisture to my skin, so naturally both of them landed in the trash can. If you want to try any toner or exfoliator from Paula, try a sample first and try it on your arm or only a small part of your face. My skin is not really sensitive, I can use any product with fragrance for example without irritation.

on 1/15/2015 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

this is my go-to toner at the moment, definitely preferred to PC's moisture boost -- which isn't a bad toner, it's just not as good. this toner has a milky appearance and a watery texture, and doesn't have any discernable scent (whereas moisture boost kind of smells like play-dough). i have especially dry skin and i can feel this toner restoring moisture and balance to my skin after washing, even though i use a extremely gentle hydrating cleaser that shouldn't strip my skin of moisture. until something better comes along -- and i don't think it will -- i'll keep using this.

I love this toner! Nice and moisturising for my sensitive skin! I love the price of Paula's choice as well. I'd recommend getting this range to people who suffer from redness like me and want to improve their skin's appearance - very happy! Nearly finished and definitely getting more!

I did a blog post on the products I have if anyone is interested:

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this toner. I find that after I shower or wash my face, my skin does not stay red for long after I use this - it really does have a calming effect for me. Also, my skin in general has shown less irritation and sensitivity after I started using this (probably due to the antioxidants and anti-irritants), and feels softer. I decided to purchase this instead of the antioxidant serum for sensitive skin, as I'm not sure that my skin really needs retinol treatment yet. This provides good skin treatment so that I can continue to use my regular moisturizer and still get the benefits of antioxidants.

on 8/18/2014 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin is both dry, sensitive, and acne prone. I have not used toner since high school as they are usually far too harsh for my skin. This is nice and gentle, it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. Like all Paulas Choice products this is fragrance free, and what a relief as toner usually smells awful. Unlike regular toners, this does not burn or sting when applied. This product really stands out even among her other products. I would repurchase as there are no dupes or even comparable products.

on 6/14/2014 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Toners get a terrible reputation and mostly with good reason. I remember how tight and dry my face felt the first time I tried a toner as a young teen and I avoided them ever since. In my mind, dry skin types did not need a toner.

Boy, was I wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong! This stuff is THE BEST. My skin soaks this up this product and feels refreshed and extra clean! Out of the bottle, it looks like skim milk and glides on very nicely with a cotton pad. It has no alcohol or added fragrance and actually moisturizers my skin. It's also a wonderful prep for exfoliation (if I use an exfoliant without this my skin is not very happy.). Definitely a must for those with dry, sensitive skin who are looking to add an AHA/BHA exfoliant to their routine.

on 6/12/2014 11:54:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD THE SAMPLE FOR DRY SKIN.
This toner has many anti irritants to justify the calming claim. It contains humectants and lecithin as a skin identical ingredient wich is capable of helping dry skin.
The fluid is a cross between milky and watery it can slip right out of the hands unless one moves fast. This is great for addition to a gentle routine for dry skin with a moisturizing cleanser lotion and sunscreen every bit counts! but for someone with very dry skin this alone will not work and a heavier cream will be needed.
UPDATE: This does give some significant irritation that I had seen a lot of reviewers mention lately.

on 4/29/2014 3:40:00 PM

i have tried a lot of high end skincare and they seem to irritate my sensitive skin. After using Paula Choice, my skin has calmed down and not irritated. It helped cleared up my acne that I get when my skin is dry and irritated.

I like this toner because:
- milky consistency
- hydrates my skin
- calms my super sensitive skin that tends to get irritated and red easily.
- feels refreshing.
- does not contain fragrance ( my skin does not like products with fragrance)
- gentle on the skin.