July 28, 2014 | 1628 users online

Fragrances - Hanae Mori - Butterfly EDP

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by laureg

Gorgeous! I originally passed this scent by because in the bottle, it reminded me too much of Mugler's Angel, which goes horribly wrong on me. I'm glad I gave it another chance and actually applied it. On me, Butterfly is a creamy, smoky vanilla, a bit powdery, with hints of sandalwood and musk. I normally combine Butterfly with another, more masculine scent, or wear it only on my pulse points, as it can be a bit overpowering. I've gotten quite a few compliments when I've been wearing this, and men especially seem to really love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After tryng Hanae Mori's Butterfly EDP tester at Nordstroms fragrance counter several times, I was hooked. I loved what I thought to be a slight floral fragrance with hints of cedar and vanilla notes, perfect for winter. I followed by purchasing this perfume from Macy's with a Christmas gift card. The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the bottle did not have the beautiful blue butterfly on the glass like the tester from Nordstrom, but only on the packaging. Then I noticed a different fragrance, not at all like the tester, but a fragrance way too sweet like cotton candy laced with heavy notes of pineapple. I could not adapt to this fragrance and finally returned it in its original packaging with purchase sticker and my receipt.

The bottle and packaging shown in the MUA photo is identical to the Hanae Mori bottle I purchased at Macy's and it is not EDP (perfume). I suspect the forumula has been altered or the one I purchased from Macy's was a EDT. Judging from a few of the comments, I now question if there may be two versions of this fragrance. I'll stick with my discontinued Voile de Jasmin by Bvgari whenever I can find it or revert to my beloved (but boring) old lady L'air du Temp with its soft, powdery and spicey notes.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by gwmagic77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

There is something so unique and nostalgic about this perfume. I got a sample of EDT or EDP and fell in love with it. Cannot explain what the notes are on the top of my head but it is a wonderful smell and I got many compliments. I would say this is a romantic fragrance for 25 years and older.

I ordered the full size from ebay and must have gotten a fake because something did not smell right so I gave it away. I found a sample tonight and fell in love all over with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

What a surprisingly amazing fragrance! Considering I know nothing about the brand, and I think the bottle is pretty boring to look at, I never thought about trying out this scent. I recently ended up with a sample from Sephora, and I'm so glad I tested this out! This is a gorgeous, unique fragrance that is fruity, floral, and woodsy all at once. When you first spray this, you get a burst of fruity fragrance -- think blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries. But this is not your typical juvenile fruity perfume. The fruity scents start blending with the floral scents (I smell jasmine and peony the most), which creates a sweet but mature scent. Finally, the woodsy base notes come through after a few hours (I smell sandalwood and almond), making the fragrance warm, cozy, and sweet. I think this would make a great fall/winter perfume, because it makes me think of crawling into warm, snuggly sheets when it is cold and snowing outside.
This perfume is not too heavy, but I can see it being overpowering if too much is applied. I think a spray on each wrist and one spray on the neck is perfect. The scent lasts about 8 hours on me before I feel a need to reapply, fading noticeably after about 6 hours, which I think is decent lasting power. This scent is so beautiful and one of a kind. I'm so happy I discovered this perfume, and next time I have some extra money I will definitely be picking up a full-sized bottle.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Robynnna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok, it's time to revisit this review. I don't know if my chemistry or nose changed or if it's the air here (moved to west coast) but this is now a snuggly sugary woodsy scent as long as I don't over spray. It still smells nice if I over spray but is a little sharp and headache inducing. Still, I would not repurchase but I'm glad I tried it again.
Original review - I really wanted to like this but on me it smells like a sharp fabric softener sheet. I can't pick out any particular note. It just smells like a sharp soapy fabric softener sheet and after a while it just overwhelms me. The bottle is pretty but I regret purchasing it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I still enjoy this, but it can be headache-inducing. It's so dang sweet, it cloys sometimes. I think I'm torn between loving and hating this one!

This is sweet, but I love it, which is surprising as I'm usually more into heavy musks. It's light and pleasant, very nice for the colder months. It's very easy to over-apply I find, as it has strong sillage. I think of french vanilla ice cream and fluffy pink cotton candy when I smell this, and it just misses the teenage vibe with the sandalwood notes. Quietly classy and easy to wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 10:34:00 AM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

One of the absolute best vanillas I've found. It's quite strong, just a couple spritzes is enough. The main notes to my nose are pure vanilla and a bit of powder. It's very smooth and rounded, the powder isn't identifiable as "baby powder" - it just adds a different edge to the vanilla. It's a very warm, cozy scent and my boyfriend loves it on me. I think I will buy a backup because vanilla scents are my favorite and this is one of the best I've come across, at a very affordable price. Definitely recommend this to vanilla and gourmand lovers.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2012 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Coronet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Glad I read the reviews here. This perfume smells great! It's not chemically at all and smells light, fresh, and flowery. It's sweet smelling without being overwhelming and can be worn in the office without being offensive. I love this scent and I think it will be my signature. I'm in my mid-twenties and it has a mature feel to it without being too young/too old. I love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is probably one of my favorite scents. It's the first fragrance I've bought the full-sized version of in pretty much forever (I mostly subsist on samples) and I used it up in less than a year.

That being said, it is a bit on the sweeter side - so if you're not a fan of such an aroma, steer clear! I personally love it. It's girly, but yet a touch of soft floral tones. It's not ridiculously sweet, like say Pink Sugar. But definitely vanilla-y and slightly fruity. As I've mentioned in other fragrance reviews, I'm not the best at using the proper fragrance terminology . . . but anyway.

I actually started mixing this with Demeter's Angel Food Pick Me Up because it was running low and Butterfly was effective at minimizing the sickening sweetness of the Angel Food. Kind of was my signature scent for several months.

The only gripe I have is the metal piece that overlays the base of the nozzle kept unhinging randomly. I think the piece became worn at grooves after repeated capping and uncapping of the bottle. I could easily snap it back in place, but kind of a poorly designed/implemented component.

I'm definitely re-purchasing this one, no doubt.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by mycuriosity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Application easy and convenient to use, and the smell really does last a long time. However, i could not stand the movie. It was too strong, too sweet and fruity, and overwhelming, my head was hurting after awhile.