October 31, 2014 | 924 users online

Styling Products - Jonathan - Dirt

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Lee999

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let's put it this way: don't expect to rub this through your hair and magically walk away looking like Kate Moss. The smell was nice, but otherwise, I was sorely disappointed.

This product can probably work well IF you're a hairstylist, and/or IF you have serious, serious skills and know exactly how to apply this stuff, but for the rest of us, it might require too much know-how to be of any real use.

I didn't notice a difference between this, and my Ion Texturizing Wax. It left my hair limp and sticky--separated, yes, but not in a good way.

Verdict? Hairstyling amateurs shouldn't bother.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2013 12:35:00 AM More reviews by cattitude

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this stuff based on its reputation as a miracle product (well, and the fact that it was half price!). It's a good product, but not an amazing one. It's marketed as a texturizing paste, but the texture is stiffer and waxier than a paste. It has a sweet scent.

The positives about this product are that it gives control and definition, smooths frizz and gives your hair a "second day" look. A little goes a long way.

The negatives about this product are the high retail price, the stiffness (it's hard to work with, and hard to emulsify), and it can leave a waxy coating on your hair. I would only use this on dry hair because I can't imagine the thick, waxy formula working well on damp hair.

I have the KMS Hair Play Paste, and I prefer that one. It has a more hygenic pump dispenser, the consistency is easier to work with and it can be used in both damp and dry hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 2:04:00 PM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I have repurchased this a couple times. I love it. I love how it makes my hair look and it smells wonderful. Sweet Almond-y smell. It doesn't take much - pea size or less. I let my hair air dry and then smooth this midshaft through the ends - then scrunch to expose the layers in my hair cut... it gives an effortless tousled look and doesn't feel like there is anything in your hair. The key is rubbing/warming the product in your hands before you put it on your hair. And for my fine hair - less is more. My husband has started using it too - for his short hair - it defines but doesn't make it crispy - which I can't stand crispy hair. You can find it cheaper on amazon.com :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Designkelly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I received a sample of this on the street one day. I guess it was a promotion as it is now being sold at Duane Reade in NYC.

It works pretty good. I think the trick is to really smooth it around in your hands so it is warm, then , apply it with a light hand.

I use it to calm some of my flyaways and accentuate my layers as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 2:28:00 AM More reviews by pari5

Love love love this texturizing paste!!!! I'm on my 3rd or 4th one and was really sad when Sephora stopped carrying it because I thought it had been discontinued!! This has the perfect consistency because it's thick enough to make a difference but not so much that your hair looks greasy and weighed down. I use it on my flyaways as well as when I just want a piecey look. A little bit goes a long way so the jar lasts a pretty long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 3:51:00 PM More reviews by muffinlove

I LOVE this! At first I wasn't sure if I liked it at all. It's for sure a product that takes a few trials to figure out what works for your hair. I have thick wavy/curly Caucasian hair. Here's what works for me- put a chunk in that covers my thumb nail after I wash it and it's still really wet not damp. Brush or comb it through so it covers all of your hair. Then I let it air dry.

BUT when it starts to dry it's going to get kind of stringy and greasy looking. DONT PANIC. This will not be the end result. After it's dry ( for me that would be the next morning) brush your hair and you will have the most awesome soft, shiny, manageable hair! Then I straighten out the ends of my hair to make it wavy. As far as the smell goes it does not last on my hair wich is fine because it smells like sugar to me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by LaDormeuse

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

PRO: Works well on fine hair, not too sticky, gives great piece-y texture/hold, doesn't weigh hair down
CONS: Scent, easy to overdo (ends up making hair stringy)

I purchased Jonathan Dirt after my HG paste (Pureology Nanowax) was discontinued. I have had short hair (pixie to chin length) for the last 12 years and have tried innumerable pastes, waxes, pomades, etc. This is one of the better pastes I have tried. I have to admit I did not want to like this product initially due to the smell; it's not strong, but it smells oddly medicinal to me. That being said, it was not so objectionable that I didn't go ahead and give it a shot. I am so glad I did. So many pastes I've tried make hair look greasy; I was pleased that this wasn't one of them. When used in the proper amount (a little goes a long way) this paste gives my thin (but abundant) hair the perfect texture and the perfect amount of hold. I'm also pleased that it doesn't weigh my hair down (so many do!). Beware that you don't use too much, though - your hair may end up a stringy mess. I think this will work for a lot of hair types and textures. I don't know how well it would work on longer hair (I think I'd want something lighter) but it really is great for shorter styles.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2010 2:36:00 PM More reviews by jsATC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Too sticky, waxy, thick, and heavy for my hair. My hair is wavy and fine, but I have a lot of it. This is really difficult to apply evenly and although it is meant to give hair definition and a piecy look, it definitely makes it stick together in chunks and is difficult to distribute throughout my hair.

It does define my waves and enhance them but it also makes my hair look and feel tangled. I thought it would tame flyaways but it seems to make them worse and more frizzy.

This product would be better for someone with thicker heavier hair. For fine hair, I think it just looks greasy and makes it more tangled and frizzy. I think this is because Dirt is so sticky so when I'm trying to smooth it on my hair, my fine hair is just sticking to my hands and getting pulled away and frizzed out more. I'm assuming I would be better off with Silky Dirt or a grooming cream or Redken Rewind.

I will say that a tiny bit goes a long way. My jar of this is lasting forEVer, which is unfortunate for me because I really don't like it much. But it does smell nice.

I ended up giving this to my sister in law who has much thicker wavier hair. She seems to like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2010 11:41:00 PM More reviews by foooood

It isn't as great as I thought it would be but it does give the hair the second-day look. Basically, I went out and searched for a pomade or some product that I could use for my freshly washed hair. I only shampoo every fourth or even fifth day because that is when my scalp needs cleansing and the day after i shampoo, my hair is full of flyaways and it's slippery so my buns and ponytails don't hold and overall, I just hate how it looks. I love how it's clean but at the same time, my hair so totally limp. So I use this product to give my hair texture and ruffle it up a little bit. I also it on days that I don't reeally need it and it gives my hair a little messed up look that I like. It smells nice and it's never mae my hair too greasy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by ekelur

Love, love, love. Love the smell (kind of like earthy marshmallows, it that makes any sense), love the texture (not sticky or greasy), love that it's vegan and not tested on animals. Most importantly, I love what it adds to my hair -- dirt, but where I want it, not where it ends up naturally. I can't do that "second day hair thing" so this is perfect. I use it to get those nice chunky ends, and a to smooth the frizzies along my part.