November 24, 2014 | 1605 users online

Lip Treatments - MAC - Prep + Prime Lip

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 7:48:00 AM More reviews by kiyoshi001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's good even better with MAC lipsticks. The only issue is the price it goes for more than $20 in Nigeria. It makes the colour really pop regardless of your lip colour. It lasts longer and even after wiping my lips with a tissue I could still clearly see the lipstick colour for hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2014 8:26:00 AM More reviews by nainz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

YES YES I would definitely buy this product again and again. I don't know how my lipsticks would go on my dry lips if I didn't have this. Vaseline or regular lip balms just doesn't do the job.
Highly recommended to everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by MichPaon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I was a little nervous trying this product because MAC lipstick usually dries out my lips, but this product didnít dry them out at all instead it moisturized my lips! It also kept my lipstick from running or getting on my teeth! It did help my lipstick stay on for a bit longer but nothing extraordinary. It also kept my lipstick looking even on my lips because sometimes only certain parts of my lips will begin to fade and then it looks really bad! If you have dry lips I would defiantly suggest this product for you, if you are looking for something that stays all day and donít have dry lips, I would try a lip stain.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Dias14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has changed my life...
I have lots of Mac's matte and retro matte and they all looked terrible in my mouth. Gorgeous shades, of course, but they didn't look good, super dry and with "lipstick crumbs.. After the prep+prime, they look perfect... I didn't get the same result with other lip balms... This primer is different, it seems like it was made to wear with matte lipsticks...
As I am a creamy lipstick type of girl, now I can wear the matte colors, whithout the feeling that my lips are dry, about to crack!
I'm super happy with it... It's expensive but worth it...because now I can use lots of lipsticks that I love but looked bad on me... Now they all look gorg!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by beautysign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

£12.50 in the UK for this so it's not unreasonably expensive and it works wonders for anybody with dry lips. It works great under mac lipsticks (obviously) but also well under OCC lip tars, and other lipsticks. It stops lipstick from feathering and makes your lips look smooth. Some people say lip primer is just a glorified lip balm , but that is not the case with this.

Because i've got dry lips I exfoliate them first with a lip scrub, then apply lip balm , then blot that off, apply mac prep +prime and whatever lipstick and my lips don't go dry or start flaking.

Does it keep your lipstick on longer ? It gives the lipstick something to grip onto but it won't stop it from transferring . However the finish it gives to your lips is exceptional .

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Yay, it's that good. Didn't want it to be as it cost a bit, but yes it is. I save this for when I really want my lips to last or my color to pop. Since it is expensive, I don't use it too casually. But yay, it is that good, it does make a difference, it is worth it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by whiteparfait

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

When I opened the primer it "popped" out. A shame but I can live with a broken primer. Doesn't really bother me. The primer is just perfect. Makes my dry lips look fantastic. BUT it doesn't do anything to make my lipstick last.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Bleh. I had high hopes for this, seeing as everyone else here seems to love it... I bought it for the sole hope that it would help my lipstick last longer... But it didn't. I applied as suggested, waited a minute or two before putting my lip colour on (I use only MAC lipsticks) but nope, still faded in the same amount of time it would've without the primer. I liked the smooth feeling it gave my lips but that was about it. Did absolutely nothing to improve the appearance of my lip products, and as I previously mentioned, nothing for increasing lasting power or feathering either. I have a friend who's worked for MAC for years and asked her about this product, she told me it was developed for mature women who have lip lines that need filling, or women who wear lots of matte lipsticks and need to create a barrier between their lip colour and their lips. I would imagine that this would work well for women who have very dry or problematic lips that need some TLC, since that's what it was created for. However, if you don't have any problems with your lips that need correcting, skip this. I love MAC, and really wanted to like this, but after using it for a solid 3 weeks and seeing no difference when using it, it went back to the store.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This primer works so well to prolong the wear of my lipstick. I love using this under matte or satin lipsticks, and this works especially well under OCC Lip Tars. I find that they last a lot longer and go on smoother. It also acts like a balm. Matte lipsticks can sometimes look and feel drying, but when I use this primer, my lips look and feel smooth and moist.

It does have a slightly plastic smell, but it dissipates on the lips. It then has a slight vanilla smell. I haven't tasted this, so I can't talk about taste.

What I don't like about this primer is that the stick broke so easily! I only keep this at home, so I was surprised when I opened the tube one day and half of the stick was broken off! I don't twist the stick all the way up when I use this, just up enough to cover my lips, so I was really surprised to see it has broken. I just smooshed the broken piece down and it works fine now, but I am definitely more careful with it. MAC, you really need to fix this! I know that I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I'm definitely going to re-purchase this primer. It works unlike anything else. I can't use lipstick without this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this product as a gift along with Up The Amp, and I do enjoy it. However, I won't personally be purchasing any MAC after learning that they are not cruelty-free, so I cannot say that I'll buy this after I run out.
First, the negative: It's kind of a big one. The packaging is horrendous. The product inside is rather soft, and having it in such a thin tube means it's inevitable that it will break. Which is precisely what happened after one week. Thankfully, it happened while the cap was on, so the product did not fall out, and now I know to be super careful when handling this. It also means that the bullet has to be repositioned every time I use it, which drives me slightly mad. A thicker, stouter bullet in a regular lipstick case would have been a far better option, I think.
But that's the only real downside to the product. The rest of my experience with it has been terrific.
It starts off slick when you first apply it, so letting it set for about 60 seconds before applying lip color over top is absolutely essential to making this work. But once it does set, it has a wonderful tacky texture that grabs hold of any lip color you apply over top. I don't find that it amplifies the color at all, but it definitely adds to the longevity of the color.
It provides a slight amount of hydration to the lips - I do not find this product drying in the slightest.
I find it works best with MAC lipsticks, though I've had some success with Milani Color Statement lipsticks when paired with this primer. Certain matte lip colors, like the Nars Pure Matte line, tend to apply somewhat sheerer over top of this, and it doesn't help with their staying power, so I'm thinking that most matte colors will not need this underneath.
I experience quite a lot of feathering with most lipsticks, and I'm happy to report that I have noticed that it's diminished significantly when I use this primer. In that respect, it's something of a godsend.
The price is a bit ridiculous, but honestly, it's quite unique, so until another company makes a cheaper dupe, this might be your only option.
Overall, I enjoy this product very much, and if MAC ever decides to break ties with Estee Lauder, I'll gladly repurchase, but not until then.