August 1, 2014 | 2030 users online

Lip Treatments - MAC - Prep + Prime Lip

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Dias14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has changed my life...
I have lots of Mac's matte and retro matte and they all looked terrible in my mouth. Gorgeous shades, of course, but they didn't look good, super dry and with "lipstick crumbs.. After the prep+prime, they look perfect... I didn't get the same result with other lip balms... This primer is different, it seems like it was made to wear with matte lipsticks...
As I am a creamy lipstick type of girl, now I can wear the matte colors, whithout the feeling that my lips are dry, about to crack!
I'm super happy with it... It's expensive but worth it...because now I can use lots of lipsticks that I love but looked bad on me... Now they all look gorg!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by beautysign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

12.50 in the UK for this so it's not unreasonably expensive and it works wonders for anybody with dry lips. It works great under mac lipsticks (obviously) but also well under OCC lip tars, and other lipsticks. It stops lipstick from feathering and makes your lips look smooth. Some people say lip primer is just a glorified lip balm , but that is not the case with this.

Because i've got dry lips I exfoliate them first with a lip scrub, then apply lip balm , then blot that off, apply mac prep +prime and whatever lipstick and my lips don't go dry or start flaking.

Does it keep your lipstick on longer ? It gives the lipstick something to grip onto but it won't stop it from transferring . However the finish it gives to your lips is exceptional .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Yay, it's that good. Didn't want it to be as it cost a bit, but yes it is. I save this for when I really want my lips to last or my color to pop. Since it is expensive, I don't use it too casually. But yay, it is that good, it does make a difference, it is worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by whiteparfait

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

When I opened the primer it "popped" out. A shame but I can live with a broken primer. Doesn't really bother me. The primer is just perfect. Makes my dry lips look fantastic. BUT it doesn't do anything to make my lipstick last.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Bleh. I had high hopes for this, seeing as everyone else here seems to love it... I bought it for the sole hope that it would help my lipstick last longer... But it didn't. I applied as suggested, waited a minute or two before putting my lip colour on (I use only MAC lipsticks) but nope, still faded in the same amount of time it would've without the primer. I liked the smooth feeling it gave my lips but that was about it. Did absolutely nothing to improve the appearance of my lip products, and as I previously mentioned, nothing for increasing lasting power or feathering either. I have a friend who's worked for MAC for years and asked her about this product, she told me it was developed for mature women who have lip lines that need filling, or women who wear lots of matte lipsticks and need to create a barrier between their lip colour and their lips. I would imagine that this would work well for women who have very dry or problematic lips that need some TLC, since that's what it was created for. However, if you don't have any problems with your lips that need correcting, skip this. I love MAC, and really wanted to like this, but after using it for a solid 3 weeks and seeing no difference when using it, it went back to the store.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This primer works so well to prolong the wear of my lipstick. I love using this under matte or satin lipsticks, and this works especially well under OCC Lip Tars. I find that they last a lot longer and go on smoother. It also acts like a balm. Matte lipsticks can sometimes look and feel drying, but when I use this primer, my lips look and feel smooth and moist.

It does have a slightly plastic smell, but it dissipates on the lips. It then has a slight vanilla smell. I haven't tasted this, so I can't talk about taste.

What I don't like about this primer is that the stick broke so easily! I only keep this at home, so I was surprised when I opened the tube one day and half of the stick was broken off! I don't twist the stick all the way up when I use this, just up enough to cover my lips, so I was really surprised to see it has broken. I just smooshed the broken piece down and it works fine now, but I am definitely more careful with it. MAC, you really need to fix this! I know that I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I'm definitely going to re-purchase this primer. It works unlike anything else. I can't use lipstick without this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this product as a gift along with Up The Amp, and I do enjoy it. However, I won't personally be purchasing any MAC after learning that they are not cruelty-free, so I cannot say that I'll buy this after I run out.
First, the negative: It's kind of a big one. The packaging is horrendous. The product inside is rather soft, and having it in such a thin tube means it's inevitable that it will break. Which is precisely what happened after one week. Thankfully, it happened while the cap was on, so the product did not fall out, and now I know to be super careful when handling this. It also means that the bullet has to be repositioned every time I use it, which drives me slightly mad. A thicker, stouter bullet in a regular lipstick case would have been a far better option, I think.
But that's the only real downside to the product. The rest of my experience with it has been terrific.
It starts off slick when you first apply it, so letting it set for about 60 seconds before applying lip color over top is absolutely essential to making this work. But once it does set, it has a wonderful tacky texture that grabs hold of any lip color you apply over top. I don't find that it amplifies the color at all, but it definitely adds to the longevity of the color.
It provides a slight amount of hydration to the lips - I do not find this product drying in the slightest.
I find it works best with MAC lipsticks, though I've had some success with Milani Color Statement lipsticks when paired with this primer. Certain matte lip colors, like the Nars Pure Matte line, tend to apply somewhat sheerer over top of this, and it doesn't help with their staying power, so I'm thinking that most matte colors will not need this underneath.
I experience quite a lot of feathering with most lipsticks, and I'm happy to report that I have noticed that it's diminished significantly when I use this primer. In that respect, it's something of a godsend.
The price is a bit ridiculous, but honestly, it's quite unique, so until another company makes a cheaper dupe, this might be your only option.
Overall, I enjoy this product very much, and if MAC ever decides to break ties with Estee Lauder, I'll gladly repurchase, but not until then.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wear this with all of my MAC lipsticks since I first got it about five years ago. In fact, I won't wear lipstick without it, it's amazing stuff and i've gone through several tubes. I apply this and let it sit while im doing the rest of my makeup, then I use one of MAC's lip pencils, then apply lipstick. It helps keep the lips smooth, soft, and moisturized, it keeps lipstick from feathering, and helps it last longer. One thing I don't like is the packaging, because once I pulled the lid off, and the product fell out. It went back in, and it stayed there, but then it kept going around in circles, and it was really annoying. However, I took it back and they gave me a new one, even though it wasn't brand new (I did still have the box though). It's that good of a product I'm willing to risk it happening again. I do recommend keeping the box just in case. A must have lip product!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by HollyIvy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this product just to try something other than my fave Elizabeth Arden Lip Fix which I have used since it was introduced in the Ice Age :-) this MAC product works well, it's $16, the Lip Fix is $21.50, but I don't think this tube will last quite as long as the Lip Fix does. It did stop the feathering of a glossy pink lipstick that I wear which is what I wanted. I would recommend this if you like this type of application, but just found Lip Fix on Ebay for $9.99 plus shipping, considerably less than reg. retail and still cheaper than the MAC, still like the Lip Fix better, can't teach an old dog new tricks :-(

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by ComaGray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this every time I wear lipstick. It keeps my lipstick in place for hours. As another reviewer said, it does seem to work best with MAC lipsticks, but will do with others. You are suppose to apply and wait for it to get tacky before applying lipstick, but once you do, lipstick goes on very smoothly. I'm on my 3rd tube. One complaint is it is not well packaged and there isn't a lot in there for the money, but it's worth it. I will keep buying.