Tarte Lights Camera Lashes

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, cyclopentasiloxane, hydrogenated stearyl olive esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba, triethanolamine, alcohol, candelilla cera, acacia senegal gum, panthenol, VP/VA copolymer, polyvinyl alcohol, aminomethylpropanediol, chlorphenesin, iron oxides (CI 77499).

on 5/29/2015 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Tarte LCL is one of my favorite mascaras to give you an idea of where this review is heading right off the bat. I'm on my second tube and while I plan on playing the field, this is one I would repurchase without hesitation.

This product is only available in black and it is a "wetter" mascara. If neither of those are your jam, you might not like this. (Personally, I prefer mascaras with dark brown or brown colors, but I got a travel size of this on a whim and loved it right away. I also prefer wetter formulas because drier ones tend to irritate my eyes, which are sensitive from wearing contacts.)

It states it is a "lengthening, curling, volumizing, and conditioning mascara." So, with that in mind, I'm going to review it on all those points and then the little nitpicky things. Mascara is one of those things that vary wildly from person to person, so ymmv (as with all things cosmetic.)

Lengthening: yes. I have long lashes already, so this isn't something I was too worried about. In using this, though, it did extend my lashes which often resulted in black lashlines against my brows--which had to be fixed with a q-tip almost every single use until it dried down.

Curling: I hold a curl normally OK. Nothing to write home about, and the same goes for this. It does a slightly better job than your average mascara, but this isn't really why I bought it, so I'm not entirely disappointed by it doing so-so.

Volumizing: here is where I need the most help and found that it had the most effect on my lashes. With this mascara, it made my lashes look thicker than they are, and for that, I really appreciated it. It definitely passes on this end.

Conditioning: I didn't really realize it did this, but I do feel like I lost less of my lashes while using this product than others and that they were "stronger" while using this. So, passes on that front.

Other things I noted with this mascara is that it also did a solid job of separating my lashes. I know you are supposed to only use it for 3 months, but I did wind up using this for 6 at one point just to see how long it lasted. 6 months is when it started to get dry and flakey on me regularly. I did purchase a full size during Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale earlier this year and am currently still using it. I find it still works (though, we are coming up on the 3 month mark), though, I am getting a little bit of flakes under my lid. I also notice the full size is a little harder to control the bristles (and they tend to leave marks on the lids while trying to get into the roots) than the travel size. In the future if I were to purchase this, I'd stick to the travel size. I also did not experience any smudging with this and it stayed on all day easily.

The only other issue I have with it (which is a minor quibble) is that the packaging for the full-size is hideous. The faux snake-skin isn't the issue, but the purple plastic with the weird ends needs to go and be remodeled.

All in all, I really like this mascara and I'd definitely recommend and repurchase it.

Pros:

- Volumizes, lengthens, and conditions as promised
- Separates very nicely
- Available in travel size
- "Wetter" mascara (pros for some, may be a con for others)
- Good for sensitive eyes
- No smudging
- Long lasting

Cons:

- Holds a curl only so-so
- Full size is a little more difficult to maneuver
- Only available in black
- "Wetter" mascara (con for some, pro for others)
- For those with long lashes, will have to clean up marks on browbone
- Packaging is ugly for full-size

on 5/27/2015 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

It was good, it wasn't exceptional. It was a bit lengthening, not at all volumizing, and not very dark. It made my lashes wilt a little bit. It didn't irritate my eyes, flake, or clump at all. It didn't smudge either, which was nice. I used it for a few months before I found my new mascara (UD Perversion). The price is okay, the packaging is absolutely hideous. I would not repurchase now that I have something I like much better.

I got this full sized product at the ULTA 21 days of beauty sale along with the white tarte eyelash primer. At first I absolutely loved this mascara. I loved it both by itself and even better over the primer. My lashes looked super long! However, after a few uses I started to have issues with my contacts. The product dries really quickly and flakes off really easily. I usually wear my makeup pretty long and drug store mascaras have never bothered me. By the end of the night this stuff makes me look like a raccoon. Maybe ULTA was just trying to get rid of old products that weren't good anymore. In any case I would definitely recommend the primer but not the mascara itself!

I really like this mascara. I got the full size during the 21 day sale at Ulta for $10. I wouldn't have likely purchased it at regular price. I've been using this everyday because it is easy to apply, separates my lashes and gives me length. It dries quickly to and I like the brush. I can use this on my bottom lashes without it smearing. I really love the packaging too. It's one of the best looking mascaras I own! Since then I have gotten 2 mini sizes in kits. Although I like this mascara, I cannot see myself spending more than $10 on it.

on 5/20/2015 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i really like this. very natural. adds volume and length. its expensive though. probably could find a cheaper alternative

on 5/18/2015 11:18:00 PM

I like it. I got 2 travel size versions somehow & it works great but I wouldn't repurchase.

on 5/14/2015 1:22:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is the best all-around mascara I have used. Not too thick, not too watery. It perfectly separates and defines my lashes, while giving them superb volume. I received this sample around the same time I received a sample of Too Faced BTS mascara, and I prefer this even over that. BTS is way too messy to deal with, and makes lashes clumpy. Lights, Camera, Lashes is PERFECT.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

I love the way my lashes look when wearing this. I get a bunch of compliments. There is something about the formula that is different from my other Tarte mascaras. Come yo find out, I'm allergic to it. I'll put it on my eye lashes and my eyes instantaneously water. If I wear it long enough, my eyes get PUFFY! The price of this mascara, basically I wasted my money.

on 5/5/2015 4:15:00 PM

Amazing mascara!
I got a sample from Ipsy and fell in love. I went ahead and purchased a full size, but I found that the sample size works way better. I compared the brushes and the one on the sample seemed narrower and worked totally different on my lashes. I would not buy a full size again because it will dry up before I can use it up.
Love the formula, it ads crazy amount of volume and lenght and curl. My lashes really looked like falsies with barely any work. 2 coats is really enough to have this dramatic look.
Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes at the Sephora store, or the sample sizes all on their own without a kit.
I will repurchase over and over again.

on 5/3/2015 7:18:00 PM

this is indeed a very good mascara: it is now a month I am wearing it everyday and still feels fresh and performs as the first day. The formula is on the wet side, which I personally prefer and really elongates your lashes well. I am a fanatic of Lancôme's lash primer and there is literally no mascara to me that performs at its best without Lancome cils booster xl as a base. This tarte one is the only exception, it truly delivers everything they say. I like dramatic mascaras, and after reading many comments where users described it as more of a natural mascara I was concerned I could not like it. It is very black and fairly dramatic on my book volume wise ( I already mentioned its lengthening power): looks beautiful and really stands out your lashes with a dark grey smokey look.

Popular Mascaras