November 29, 2014 | 961 users online

Treatments - Mavala - Nail Hardener

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 12:49:00 PM More reviews by pancakemakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay ladies, first things first: i have always had thin, peely, flaky nails that would grow out only the slightest bit only to flake apart and finally tear off completely. I started keeping my nails painted for added strength and that would work for awhile but at a certain point, my nails aould flake apart at the edges and thin layers would peel off, leaving me withc chipped polish and uneven nail lengths; the only option left was to file them down again and start over. my whole life. short, weak nails. I started using cuticle creme, barielle, hard as hoof, etc., & that helped, a bit. Then i discovered glass files and the proper way to file my nails (in one direction only) and that really helped keep the edges from splitting but my nails still peeled after a certain length.... in desperation i purchased nailteques nail strengthener formula 2 plus and that helped, but i found that it soon peeled off of my nails at the edges by the end of every day (even when i tried to baby my hands) where i needed protectiion the most! Finally came across a review of mavala nail hardener on a flamenco guitar players forum that seemed to work wonders for guitar players (who put their nails through total abuse) and went to my local ulta and purchased the only bottle they had left in the store. Been using it for two weeks now and definately noticed a difference! My nails are much stronger and although i've had a few instances of bashing them into door handles & such, no breaks or splitting or peeling yet!! i'm applying it to the tips of my nails every 4 days or so & to the whole nail when i change polish weekly and can feel the difference. its like magic! i do try to keep my nails moisturized with lotion at all times & i wear gloves when cleaning & doing dishes so the drying effect others have mentioned here isn't a problem for me at all. As a matter of fact, i'm a dog groomer and my hands are constantly in water and dog shampoo & disinfecting chemicals and no dryness / breakage noted while at work. Although i do wear playtex gloves for bathing & cleaning while at work, i feel that if i wasn't applying lotion constantly my nails would get extremely dry and start to break so i avoid that at all costs. I'm actually going to remove my polish now and start over with whole nail application, filing to shape my favorite (but before now impossible to maintain past an hour) square tips for french manicure!! I have never before been able to do this! If you want strong nails that you can show off your polish collection with, THIS is the only product you should be spending your money on. Well, this and the hard as hoof nail strengthing creme. My goodness, those two products are HG nail care items and now i'll never be without either of them. As for the cost of mavala, I think its totally worth it. I used a coupon at ulta, which brought the total down from $20 to $17.50 plus tax (which is the same on amazon w/o shipping so its probably the cheapest you can get it in the USA) and by the looks of it, this bottle is going to last me for about two years! Possibly more! If you think about it, that's an incredible bargain when the product lasts forever compared to nailteques / orly nail envy / sall hansen nail strenghteners / barielle products / etc.... that didn't help..... compared to all the money i've spent over the years on those , this is an absolute steal.
I like that the packaging is minimal that's why I rated it 5 lipsticks, as it's really neither here nor there in this instance.
As per the directions: apply weekly until nails are strong, then only once a month. Other reviewers have been slightly altering their application as necessary and so have I, without harmful effect. It seems that the only way to guarantee success is to keep your nails & cuticles moisturized at all times or they will dry out. If you have a weak nail problem like mine, please give this product a try & you won't regret it!!!
I did notice a little muted stinging/burning sensation when i applied mavala under my nail tips (where it touched my skin) only on the first, heavy-handed application which i washed off immediately. Now when i apply it i still put it under my nail tips and haven't noticed any weird sensations. I'm careful to watch out for "skin hardening" that others have mentioned but haven't seen any evidence of it so far. I think you have to be careful where you apply it & if you are, then you have nothing to worry about. Hope this review helps someone here, I've been a lurker on MUA for years and this is the product that convinced me to leave my first review! Thanks MUA for giving me such good advice over the years on what to spend my hard earned money on wisely when it comes to makeup!
One last thing, my coworkers all marvel at the length of my nails and openly wonder how i possibly can keep them this long! LOL my polish lasts much longer without chips at the tips now that i'm using mavala so they wonder about my polish staying power as well! I tell them I use seche vite and thats it! HA!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2014 10:39:00 AM More reviews by rawritschae

This is a great product. It does as it advertises and hardened my nails as well as sped up the growth a bit.

I have noticed that it dries out my nails and that seems to be the only flaw. I don't mind it because once it's soaked in, I apply some Bliss Kiss Pure Nail Oil and the dryness is remedied. I assume this would work with any nail or cuticle oil, so it really shouldn't deter you from trying it out for yourself!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by NikitaRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

It makes the nails grow faster and stronger but mine still peel and since peeling nails was the reason i bought this I am not completely satisfied with it and will probably go back to nailtiques formula 2 plus which helped me more. What I liked about the product though was how much I still have left even after weekly use. It works differently than other treatments because it literally soaks into your nails and you can't see it after it dries. I used it once to twice a week and in the first month or so it worked great but as I said, the nails are still peeling, perhaps even more than before. I also hate how it stings after application if some of the liquid transfers to my cuticles or touches the skin around the nail. I would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by alibugbug

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

holy cow this stuff is so amazing!!! im a CNA so i do a LOT of hand washing and this stuff keeps my nails from peeling plus i love the cute little bottle :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Krunce

This stuff is awesome. Where has it been all my life.

You need to know: THIS IS NOT A NAIL POLISH! It's a treatment that soaks right into your nails and isn't visible anymore afterwards. It also really really really really works.

EDIT: I've stopped using the Mavala after I noticed that it was REAALLYYY drying out the parts of my nails that I was using them on. They became a bit brittle, bust mostly, I could really see that those parts of the nail were absolutely parched. Of course, the formula has formaldehyde in it so this was inevitable. In the future, I think I would only use this in an emergency if I've been applying nail polish too much.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by dearleanne

Amazing, does exactly what it says.
Unlike other nail hardeners, this is a liquid that simply sinks into the nail (almost like painting water onto your nail tips). This form of nail hardener I find more convenient and easy. Some nail hardeners have to be painted on (Like Sally Hansens) and removed every few days. I live in Australia ... so everything is expensive here, it's a bit hard to find as it's an uncommon brand, but I got lucky and saw it selling in Chemist Warehouse. Its $20.00 a bottle (5ml) which is really pricey, but a little goes a LONG way, I barely even apply it as often as I did before because the results are long lasting and I forget I need to apply it over again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 10:19:00 AM More reviews by hoangrl

Got this in november 2013 been using it nearly every week. Jan 2014... im really happy with the results. My nails grow fast but they break easily :( now my nails feel very strong and i guess thicker? They dont bend so easily like the used to. Havent had any issues about pain while using it. Will keep using it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by beztanya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

Does just what it says it do! Although if used more than once per week can make the nails quite dry, but used with the Mavala Nail Serum it's a wonder for my nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 1:51:00 AM More reviews by lindafrh

Must have for every women!!! Hardens nails after just a few uses and nails grow visibly quicker and healthier. I used it twice a week the first couple of monthes, now once a week is enough. And damn right this tiny bottle lasts monthes!!! ps: make sure you seal it with a base coat, as it won't work if put alone on nail.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Syrah06

Works great! Does exactly what the package says. Love it and i never thought i would actually find something that does the job :)