September 22, 2014 | 1818 users online

Shampoo - Paul Mitchell - Awapuhi Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by sase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Appearance: The product comes in black plastic squeeze tube. The shampoos is a creamy base verses a gel base. It does have a woodsy ginger scent that I find wonderful smelling. It maybe be a bit much for some though.

Cost: I bought the 8.5 oz bottle for around 20 dollars. It is bit pricey for the amount that you get. I found though that you don't need to use much as you think because it lathers up very nicely.

Wearability: For a shampoo I found that it lathers up wonderfully and cleans my hair without stripping it. For reference I have colored treated coarse asian hair. My hair is down to my lower back so I have found that I usually need to use a lot of product to get it fully clean. With this shampoo I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to increase the volume of product used to fully clean my hair.

Overall thoughts: While this a bit more on the pricey side for Shampoo I find that it is worth it. I also use the styling treatment oil along with this to futher enhance the wonderful smell of the product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

It is overpriced and did not perform any better than any of the drugstore shampoos, eg Garnier. Will not repurchase nor recommend. No benefits stated on the tube reflected to my hair condition. I take good care of my hair and wanted to revive and add moisture to it but this shampoo did nothing but what any other 5-6x cheaper shampoo did.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I used this shampoo many years ago, and I thought I remembered liking it. I recently got it as part of a gift set I bought, and I am hugely disappointed. I remember it being thicker, creamier, and more moisturizing. I also remember it smelling better. I don't know if my memory is just letting me down, or if they changed the product since way back then.

It feels nice as you lather, it lathers nicely. But my hair feels stripped as I rinse it out. And it leaves me hair with a strange combination of being dry and coarse feeling, while feeling weighed down and limp. Just a really bad feeling.

I would not buy this, ever. Really disappointed. The label says you can use it as a body wash, so maybe I will try for that instead of just throwing it away.

Edited to add: Nope, in the garbage it went. I did try it as a body wash, too drying. Tried it again on my hair, every time my hair is a limp, but dry mess. Hate it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2013 1:07:00 AM More reviews by owwlala

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Nothing special, not enough moisture and not worth the trouble. Clogged my follicles and left my scalp itchy and oily

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was traveling at at Marriott for about 6 weeks. They had this shampoo there, and I fell in love with it. This product removes ALL buildup without drying out hair and cleanses really, really well as a daily shampoo, leaving a nice soft blow out. I can be heavy handed with gels and leave-ins, but this does a great job removing all product from my curly hair without over drying or over moisturizing.

Penny Pincher Tip: Sally's makes a perfect knock-off of this for $5 - called "Generic Value Product (GVP) Compare to Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo".

It is now included in my rotation of top 10 lifetime favorites that I rotate from time to time: Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo, Trader Joe's Moisture, Phytospecific Vital Force, Kenra Moisturzing, Tresseme Keratin & VO5/Suave for clarifying.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Riknows

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

MY shampoo for YEARS. I try everything but always come back to Awapuhi. My hair "grabs" product and everything seems to weigh it down except this shampoo. It's been around forever and Im terrified they will discontinue it.
I get compliments all the time on the smell of my hair

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by dblou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this really much. My scalp is dry and i also get dandruff easily from many shampoos. This doesn't irritate my scalp at all and doesn't cause dandruff. The scent is gentle. I like to try different shampoos and brands but i always go back to this one. i don't find this exactly moisturizing and i don't think that if your scalp is really very dry it would help but i'm sure it wouldn't irritate it more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 5:45:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

So... I waited to go through 3 tubes before I rated this.
I recently dyed my hair from bright blonde to dark brown. I felt like my hair overall was healthier when I was bleaching it. Sounds crazy, I know. I bounced back and forth with shampoos... trying to find the right sulfate-free shampoo, to maintain my color.
I like this shampoo A LOT. It's sudsy, and a little goes a long way. I have a cosmetologists' license, so I get this for less than $12; not sure though if I'd pay full price for it though. I truly do love this shampoo, and it smells YUMMY. I feel it really moisturizes my hair. I plan to keep using it until I find something better, but to be honest, I'm not really looking.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by AllAboutTheGlamLife

Got this from a friend, and honestly not as good as other products that r way cheaper..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

At first I loved this shampoo. I used it for several days while staying at a hotel, and was pleasantly surprised that they provided Paul Mitchell products. The first night, I was amazed at how good my hair looked, especially since I didn't have my usual haidryer or flat iron to style my hair. My hair felt soft, was shiny, manageable, and looked really good styled with just a brush and hair dryer. But the more I used this shampoo, the greasier and more weighed down my fine hair looked. I think if I used this 1-2x a week as a moisturizing shampoo while alternating with other shampoos, my hair could look as good as it did the first time I tried it. However, using this several days in a row was overkill and it was almost like it built up on my hair. I was happy to go home and use a different shampoo. Overall, this is a good shampoo, but probably just too heavy for my hair type. I would think this would work better for dry or curly hair.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No