Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo

3.4

Not tested on animals

water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, cocamidopropyl betaine, disodium cococamphodiacetate, trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, laureth-4, laureth-23, phenoxyethanol, glycerin, polyquaternium-5, keratin, hydrolyzed keratin, oxidized keratin, hedychium coronarium (white ginger) root extract, polyquaternium-10, hydrolyzed wheat protein, biovlavonoids, citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) peel extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, guar hydroypropyltrimonium chloride, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, magnesium nitrate, fragrance/parfum, benzyl salicylate, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool

on 4/9/2015 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have semi-permanent, coloured, black/blue hair and found that other shampoos for colour treated hair cause my scalp and skin to break out in bumps and hives. The other shampoos I've tried (Oribe Beautiful Colour Shampoo, Schwarzkopf) leave a film-like coating and tend to be too highly perfumed. I often feel like I need to wash my hair the next day because my hair feels greasy.

The Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo with rich sulphate-free lather, in contrast, leaves my hair gently well-cleansed, nourished and nicely scented without weighing it down at all. Sulphate-free and richly lathering = love. The conditioner is fantastic as well. I also really like that the 250 ml version comes in an inverted tube with a flip-top cap. I use this with the Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin Cream Rinse 2 to 3 times a week.

on 2/10/2015 1:09:00 AM

This isn't as good as I thought, it has a scent which is fine. The bottle is black and sleek. The shampoo lathers good for being sulfate free, but I can't say I notice anything different from when I use a drugstore shampoo or conditioner, in fact drugstore is much better and moisturizing. The shampoo is shampoo, nothing extraordinary it's not worth the 20 something dollars. I have fine but a lot of hair, which is frizzy, the conditioner doesn't moisturize. It just feels as you're putting a meaningless product in your hair.

I personally really enjoy using this shampoo. The smell is probably the part about this shampoo the most. It definitely has a very strong ginger smell to it, which I love since I am obsessed with all things ginger, but it might not be to everyone's taste.

This shampoo has a creamy texture, and lathers a LOT, even with a small amount, which is another thing I like about it. The bottle claims this is a sulfate-free shampoo, which leads me to wonder how it lathers so well. In any case, I also find this shampoo to be quite moisturizing, but it doesn't weight my hair down like most moisturizing shampoos do. I use it in conjunction with the awapuhi wild ginger mousse as well, which leaves the ginger scent in my hair all day. I don't use the conditioner every time though, since the keratin can cause damage when overused.

Overall, I do really enjoy using this shampoo, although I don't think I would purchase it all the time since it's a little pricey.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really liked this shampoo. My sister brought me back a little hotel bottle from a Marriot she was staying in along with a little Detangler. These two together are like wow! magic!
left my hair super soft, moist, and healthy with shine. Loved it!
Reminded me of my hair when I was a kid-- before my teenage years when I started to experiment and cause serious damage!

on 4/22/2014 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Appearance: The product comes in black plastic squeeze tube. The shampoos is a creamy base verses a gel base. It does have a woodsy ginger scent that I find wonderful smelling. It maybe be a bit much for some though.

Cost: I bought the 8.5 oz bottle for around 20 dollars. It is bit pricey for the amount that you get. I found though that you don't need to use much as you think because it lathers up very nicely.

Wearability: For a shampoo I found that it lathers up wonderfully and cleans my hair without stripping it. For reference I have colored treated coarse asian hair. My hair is down to my lower back so I have found that I usually need to use a lot of product to get it fully clean. With this shampoo I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to increase the volume of product used to fully clean my hair.

Overall thoughts: While this a bit more on the pricey side for Shampoo I find that it is worth it. I also use the styling treatment oil along with this to futher enhance the wonderful smell of the product.

on 12/26/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

It is overpriced and did not perform any better than any of the drugstore shampoos, eg Garnier. Will not repurchase nor recommend. No benefits stated on the tube reflected to my hair condition. I take good care of my hair and wanted to revive and add moisture to it but this shampoo did nothing but what any other 5-6x cheaper shampoo did.

on 12/24/2013 10:46:00 PM

I used this shampoo many years ago, and I thought I remembered liking it. I recently got it as part of a gift set I bought, and I am hugely disappointed. I remember it being thicker, creamier, and more moisturizing. I also remember it smelling better. I don't know if my memory is just letting me down, or if they changed the product since way back then.

It feels nice as you lather, it lathers nicely. But my hair feels stripped as I rinse it out. And it leaves me hair with a strange combination of being dry and coarse feeling, while feeling weighed down and limp. Just a really bad feeling.

I would not buy this, ever. Really disappointed. The label says you can use it as a body wash, so maybe I will try for that instead of just throwing it away.

Edited to add: Nope, in the garbage it went. I did try it as a body wash, too drying. Tried it again on my hair, every time my hair is a limp, but dry mess. Hate it.

on 11/28/2013 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Nothing special, not enough moisture and not worth the trouble. Clogged my follicles and left my scalp itchy and oily

on 9/8/2013 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I was traveling at at Marriott for about 6 weeks. They had this shampoo there, and I fell in love with it. This product removes ALL buildup without drying out hair and cleanses really, really well as a daily shampoo, leaving a nice soft blow out. I can be heavy handed with gels and leave-ins, but this does a great job removing all product from my curly hair without over drying or over moisturizing.

Penny Pincher Tip: Sally's makes a perfect knock-off of this for $5 - called "Generic Value Product (GVP) Compare to Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo".

It is now included in my rotation of top 10 lifetime favorites that I rotate from time to time: Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo, Trader Joe's Moisture, Phytospecific Vital Force, Kenra Moisturzing, Tresseme Keratin & VO5/Suave for clarifying.

on 8/14/2013 7:45:00 PM

MY shampoo for YEARS. I try everything but always come back to Awapuhi. My hair "grabs" product and everything seems to weigh it down except this shampoo. It's been around forever and Im terrified they will discontinue it.
I get compliments all the time on the smell of my hair

Top Rated Paul Mitchell Products