October 30, 2014 | 1686 users online

Hair - Biosilk - Silk Therapy Smoothing Balm

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2013 1:29:00 PM More reviews by lilypad000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm going to finish this bottle because it works pretty well. I have curly frizz prone hair. I apply this product from scalp to ends while my hair is still very wet, then dry naturally. It gives my curls nice definition and controls the frizz nicely. I won't repurchase though b/c of the smell.

I read other reviews that said it smelled like fish oil and thought no way possible, but yes it does. It's very strange. It's not an overwhelming odor but it's def there and nobody wants their hair smelling anything remotely like fish. I have to use it in combination with another product that will overpower the smell, like Ms Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls or Moroccan Oil.

Too bad b/c I'd probably keep buying this product if it weren't for the smell. Why couldn't they have given it the yummy Silk Therapy smell? Oh well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by nattiekins05

Even though I dont think this product was too terrible, I still will not re purchase. It was fairy expensive, I didnt like the consistency of the balm nor did i like the results it gave me. The only biosilk product I will use is the silk therepy. Its sad that its such a hit or miss with theit line, because when I like a product, I like to buy their entire line. The balm was thick and more like a gel, it doesnt smell ANYTHING like the shampoo/conditioner and silk therepy (that all smell SO GOOD). If you havr straight hair, you could use this and im sure it would work fine.. but I have wavy hair that really needs a good and strong product to achieve the silky and straight look that I desire. I decided not to throw it away because it wasnt cheap and I will keep on hand in case I run out of my others... but thats all this product will be to me-and is a back up- unless they change the ingredients and formula ...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by sawyer01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

CAUSES SKIN TO BREAK OUT!!!
It smoothes the hair but makes your forehead breakout with acne since its filled with oil!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2009 2:35:00 AM More reviews by tigerkim345

ugh, i hate this stuff, does not smooth out my hair, and its very sticky
And the smell is soo disgusting! i dont want my hair smelling like crap

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2007 4:07:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was a huge disappointment. I have thick, coarse, naturally curly/wavy/frizzy hair and since I love the Silk Therapy, I thought this might be a good complimentary product. The “balm” had a slimy, slippery texture, with a lot of shimmer in it, and dried hard and crunchy. Its texture made it impossible to distribute evenly, so only the top most curls were shimmery and crunchy with hard definition, while the under curls were frizzy and puffy with no definition. It also stunk! Nothing at all like the pleasant scent of Silk Therapy. So, if you love the “wet” look in your hair and your hair isn’t too thick, this might work for you. For me, however, it was a bust. I got this at 50% off, so I guess I can’t complain too much, but I will never buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2006 12:30:00 PM More reviews by stumblina1000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What is that smell????? I don't mind the smell of Silk Therapy and was expecting something similar. Boy, was I wrong. I put a pea-size on my hair, rubbed between palms & applied, THEN the smell hit me. Maybe I have a bad bottle, but it smells like fish oil to me. Not only that, it did nothing. Had to use my FF Glossing Cream over it & there's still a smell!! I was trying to find a less expensive alternative to the FF, but this is definitely not it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/11/2004 1:36:00 PM More reviews by RotaryGirl

I have horrible hair; coarse, wavy/curly, lightweight, stiff, unmanageable, dry as straw. This stuff gives me substantial, silky, smooth hair. I feel almost normal! I use it on wet hair and comb-through after the shower is effortless, and letting it dry naturally produces lots of shine and definition without those porcupine bits sticking out. It also gives it moisture and weight, no more haystack head. Not for everyone, but turns straw into gold for me.

EDIT: Ugh! This is heroin for hair; you have to keep using it to maintain the effect. Go without for a few poos and the ugly truth reveals itself. Silicone products seem to be one of those love/hate things, and for performance this certainly gets my vote, but it won't help anyone trying to grow healthy hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2004 12:46:00 AM More reviews by cakespender

Way back in the day there used to be a product called Sun Glitz, it was awesome and made you hair soft and shiny, Well my salon stopped selling it and brought in Biosilk. Put it this way, I dont go to that salon anymore!
This stuff is complete crap in my opinion. It makes my hair greasy and wieghted down ( with a TINY drop rubbed in my palms and then applied)
I now use Frederic Fekkai finishing polish with olive oil and have NEVER been happier.
So I would say Biosilk is NOT worth the salon price.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2004 4:07:00 PM More reviews by rushelle

I have been using this product for over a year. My hair sylist recommended it (& the chi iron) to me so that I could have that shiny straight hair. For the past year I have had the worst acne ever & have just now put 2 & 2 together. It's because of BioSilk! I had also noticed that my hair has been breaking off at the ends, which surprised me. So I stopped using it & my skin cleared up. I have tested this theory 3 times now & after loads of $$ out the door on various skin care systems. Just "not using" Biosilk Silk Therapy is the best skin care "system" I have used!! Not sure why or what causes it, but evidentally it being on my hair (& I have long hair) & then touching my face during the day or at night has cause severe breakouts & even cystic acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2004 2:47:00 AM More reviews by ScaryB

I have very coarse dry hair and this is the only thing that will tame it! ( Be sure to only use a very tiny dab though and smooth it evenly or you will have greasy looking hair )