October 30, 2014 | 1300 users online

Treatments (Face) - MAC - Lightful Essence

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by KimmyKub

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

so I really love this product as I have really oily skin and this sinks in so easily and my skin does feel moisturized. I was wanting to try this as I am asian and this was made in Japan and the products by MAC that were made in Japan are a bit higher in quality. Now, keep in mind that this product was aimed towards Asians IN Asia as it's really hot and humid and most people wouldn't need a thick and heavy moisturizer. So I wouldn't use this without a separate thicker moisturizer if you have dry skin and it happens to be in the winter months. This DID help lighten up a few scars I had from past acne scars and my skin looks so much more smooth. I don't need as much makeup and I think that's where the Lightful Ultracharge Foundation comes in, I think I will try and get my hands onit and give it a try

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by saban

It worked okay and t hat was about it. I bought it hoping that it would plump up my face and give it a brighter, perkier appearance but after applying it, my skin felt kind of tight and a little sticky. I only applied one pump to my whole face and it felt as if I just rubbed extra strength hair gel on my face.

Also, once I washed it off I noticed it made some of my dry spots more noticeable. I wish this would work on my skin but once I find my receipt it's going back.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by hciechan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product - always looking for something to make my under eyes seem a littler brighter - I don't have dark circles but I have a little darkness under the eyes - made my face look very smooth and bright - my skin tone does not look "pasty" as it usually does - definately will repurchase. I definately need a moisture after I use this as I have dry skin. Very happy with this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2010 10:46:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Normally I wouldn't buy MAC products for use on the face because of so many stories of people breaking out but I got this as a gift and didn't want it to just sit there. Plus, I was curious as this is made in Japan (and because I have Asian skin I usually prefer Asian products over Western) and supposedly will make your skin appear brighter and lighten pigmentation. it is a semi-runny, cloudy liquid with a faint floral scent. It feels very clean and soft after applied onto the skin (no oily, sticky feeling or heaviness). The first night that I used it (after toner but before my squalane oil), I was amazed that my skin looked fairer than usual and just nice and transparent. However, as days went by, I started breaking out a little bit. As usual, I don't know whether to attribute this to the product or to my unstable sleeping schedule but I did. As the breakouts went away, I felt bumps on my skin (not noticeable to the eye but I can definitely feel them). I think these come when my skin is dry and considering it's been around -10 around Toronto this product is not a sufficient moisturizer (compared to my hyaluronic acid essence). So I boxed it again and am saving it for use in the summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2009 11:50:00 PM More reviews by breesana

Unlike others here, I'm pleases with the results of this product. It seals in moisture and like a previous review, it does really plump up my skin. The essence sinks quickly into my skin and goes on smoothly. I don't feel like this essence really moisturizes my skin, but it does two things that I can tell, the first being that it acts like a seal to keep moisture in and the second is that it has really lightened up my face. I came back from vacation and after about three weeks of use, my skin is almost a shade lighter than before and back to my natural paleness, which I prefer. I don't mean that this is a bleach or anything, but I do think this helps to regenerate cell growth and contol the formation of new melinin in the skin. I'm happy with the results ad will contine to use this product, along with the other lightful products in the future.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2009 12:12:00 PM More reviews by yolp1945

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Price = 4 = for what it does, MAC's Lightful Essence is rather overpriced. In Japan, it's marketed as a product that has lightening/whitening effects on the skin, but I've been using this for two months and I haven't seen any changes, subtle or otherwise.

Packaging quality = 5 = anything that comes in a pump bottle gets a 5 from me; it's hygenic!

Overall rating = 3 = it's overpriced and doesn't deliver what it claims, but on the bright side, I feel like it "plumps" my skin, i.e. moisturizes it without the heaviness of a moisturizer. I have oily skin, so I try not to layer on so many products; in the morning, I use toner, this essence, and then my Paul & Joe foundation. I also keep using this essence because it has a cooling effect on my skin.

I wouldn't buy this again, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2008 11:25:00 PM More reviews by jkiie

very light and pleasant texture. Absorbs instantly into skin, but I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't seem to have any lightening effect. Nonetheless, seems to help prime skin for makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:19:00 PM More reviews by kasantiroberts

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This has to be single-handedly the biggest waste of my money since Kiehls. I bought this product after having a long chat session with a MAC Pro via their website, maccosmetics.com. Well, I received the product and realized it was absolutely not what I was looking for. I wanted a luminescence to my skin, a light halo effect, the one Prescriptives has so masterfully perfected in their Magic line.

I have tried MAC Skincare before and it was a disappointment, but that was quite a few years ago and I really wanted this product to work! Especially since I love MAC's foundations, lipglass, lustreglass, plushglass, bronzers, brushes and blushes soooo much.

First of all, the smell was even heavier than my CHANEL! Needless to say, my skin reacted badly and I had an allergic reaction on both sides of my face, and it is only weeks before my wedding (april 5). Talk about disappointment, I cannot get this mess back in the mail to MAC fast enough!

*-*-*-*-*-*-* Dashing to Chanel & Precriptives for Rescue*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2007 3:26:00 AM More reviews by beddheadd

I bought this product at one of only two MAC stores in the So Cal region that have it available. I am a MAC Pro member, so the first encounter I had with it was at a MAC Pro class I was taking.

The MA used it before putting on the primer, after the moisturizer, for his model. It works like magic, helping "fluff" the skin and make it luminous before the primer and foundation are applied. Kind of moistens and smooths the texture even before the application of the primer. I haven't tried it on clients, but it smells good -- not too strong -- and is not sticky if you use it sparingly.

I only pump it twice and emulsify in my fingers to spread across my face and neck. The key to using this is to use very little and to let it soak in. It costs retail $40 USD, and MAC is not among some of the more high-end makeup brands, so you know a bit will go a long way!

Haven't noticed if it has made my skin better overall but the immediate results for makeup application were great.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2007 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Snoepie06

Well, I just got this and I have to say I'm a little bit dissapointed the opening f the bottle is so huge and that the product doesn't drop well. It's soon to say, but I lied the fact that its non sticky and that it's so light. I'll have to update to see if there's anything this product can do about my pigmentation marks...