October 24, 2014 | 1741 users online

Styling Products - DevaCurl - Angell

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by calliopemusic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So far I like this gel, but I'm not sure if I have figured out the right amount to use yet. I have type 3B curls and it seems to define pretty well. However, I haven't quite gotten used to the amount I need for the definition I like. I'd probably buy again if I ran out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 3:52:00 PM More reviews by michelle1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i bought this product years ago in the large salon sized bottle and it is still going! i use this product on second day curls and i apply it to dry hair and it helps the curls look more defined and shiny. it smells really good (which is a big plus for me...i love hair products that smell amazing). it really lasts a long, long time. i used to own this in just the normal sized bottle and it lasted forever so this salon size is going to be here forever.
this product looks kindof like a gel but it does not leave your hair crunchy AT ALL. this is a must have product for girls with curly hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by alcMD2peds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been a total life-changer for me!! It takes some practice to figure out the right amount to use (more than you would think, because it really "melts" into the hair) but once I did it has allowed me to spend much less time styling my hair. I can now style it wet and allow to dry so that it has zero frizz, which I have never been able to do with any product before. Tips: you must put this in hair when it is soaking wet, and you have to be generous or you will still get breakthrough frizz. Blot hair with a T-shirt if you want to eliminate drips. Style and allow to dry -- it will have a crunch and a wet look to it but once it is completely dry you have to gently scrunch it to break the crunch and you are left with gorgeous, shiny, frizz-free curls or waves! Sometimes if I don't want my hair to be so wet, I do partially blow-dry gently with a diffuser, but I still let it get completely dry before touching with my hands at all. Also, not to sound like an advertisement for the brand (I have no relationship), this really does work best when used along with their No-Poo and One Condition.

This is actually now called "light defining gel."

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by leitis

It works great for my 3c curly hair. I was taught to apply it heavily, let it try, and then gently scrunch out the crunchiness. This system works just fine for me. I'm left with soft, healthy curls. The results can last to the next day, depending on how much I toss and turn in my sleep. Of course, every head of curly hair is different.
I like the light scent, and so does my boyfriend. Of course, that's just personal opinion, but there it is.
Oh! And it comes of my hands really easily. I've had curly hair gels and mousses before that leave my hands feeling sticky and coated even after a thorough wash. With this gel, my hands feel pretty darn clean after just a towel wipe and totally clean after a quick wash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 10:53:00 AM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Deva line has saved my battle with my curls, and hence, my life! I spent years switching stylists and switching products, to no avail. I had one good stylist who understood curls, but when I have to relocate, all I could find were stylists who wanted to blow out my hair, including very expensive stylists at high-end salons! Then I saw a feature in the NYT Sunday Styles section about curly hair products and stylists. I made an appointment at the Devachan salon and I've been using their products since.

Angell is an excellent gel, but you have to use a lot of it on soaking wet hair. My current routine is cleanse with No Poo, condition with One Condition (I apply a small amount as a leave-in to my wet curls), B'Leave In (which is really a moisturizing styling agent) to boost the gel, and then a lot of gel. Blot, flip, and clip! Set It Free once everything is in place. Works every time.

I recently splurged on their dryer/diffuser product because I can't go to work with wet hair and this is the closest to air-drying my hair, much better than my $14.00 Revlon that does nothing but "blow fry" my hair. You can't replace their diffuser.

Everyone has a routine that works for them, but this is the one that works for me.

Love to all the Curly Girls out there!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 3:42:00 PM More reviews by 1017

This is a great smelling, nice gel that works ok. It looks & feels pretty nice at first, but as the day goes on, it still feels nice, but falls very limp (I have fine wavy/curly hair). This might be good for thicker hair types, not mine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This gel works great--I have softly defined curls, and I can scrunch it in and go (I always air dry). It can feel a little sticky in the hair, but I never touch my hair if I can help it so that isn't an issue. My hair's a bit thick for this though, so by day two my hair can look a bit fuzzy, so after I use up my trial/travel bottle I'll try out the Arc AnGel instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2011 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Jenstarlast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

This wasn't a terrible product. I liked the scent, and on non important days with a good leave in conditioner it was fine. The reason I won't be repurchasing is because I still had some frizz, which I do not get with my drugstore gels or mousse. Also, this can get crunchy on me if I use too much. A great leave in really helps this product. I even liked to use the DevaCurl deep conditioner as a leave in as recommended by the stylist and it worked well. I just don't see me spending this much on a gel when I have cheaper ones that, no, do not smell as nice but they work well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 1:27:00 AM More reviews by word2bird

i finally found something i liked better than my beloved bumble and bumble styling creme and curl conscious creme. i think that how effective this product will perform is all in the application.

i got a great devacurl hair cut at madusalon in san francisco, and the stylist there, theresa wondra helped me with a regimen that really works. the key is to put this in your hair while it is soaking wet, so i actually leave this in the shower and apply it to my wet hair after the devacurl low poo and conditioner. i then spritz with set it free and i have great wavy/curly hair for days.

give it a try! it's pretty natural too, so it wins over bumble and bumble in that category as well. it could be more natural, but is already a little more natural than most :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this. I stole it from my mom to try it the other day and mixed it with my Kerastase Bain Oleo Curl lotion and it works wonders. The kerastase gives my hair softness and shine and this product gives shine and hold for my wavy hair and really helps define the waves. Great product!