December 20, 2014 | 1222 users online

Highlighters - Becca - Pressed Shimmer Powder shade comparisons and info

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2005 6:34:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

I have almost all of the Becca pressed shimmer powders and I just love this product. It is really excellent. The shimmer isnt glittery or chunky, but really natural. These retail for $33 each but there is alot of powder. Comes packaged in a brown compact with silver top.

Aphrodite is a shimmery coppery gold color. Mermaid is a beigey light grey with a hint of green shimmer. Angel is a very light pale pink shimmer. Hyawatha is a shimmery pale gold champagne color. These make the best highlighters. Nefertiti is a peachy gold shimmer, Princess is a pink gold shimmer and Gypsy is a darker rosey lilac pink shimmer. These three make great blushes or set over a cream blush.

The shimmers are so natural and not glittery at all. They do have the Becca scent though, but it fades quickly and I dont notice it. Top quality shimmer powders and some of the best on the market. They are much more finely milled than the BB shimmerbricks or MAC skinfinishes/iridescent powders. A+++++!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2005 12:03:00 PM More reviews by bastet

Since I've been asked repeatedly to help with finding the right Becca pressed shimmer powder I decided to post a comparison and how I use them all. For reference I am a PPP, pics in profile, I am neutral toned, but can't wear *very warm* shades (esp. on eyes). I am a MAC NC15, Stila "a", porcelain or lightest in most foundations (LM, BB, VL, etc.)

General product info: The shimmer of the pressed version of the shimmer powders is more subtle than that of the loose powders. It can be worn during the daytime without looking like a discoball. I prefer these to BB shimmerbricks, LM sundust/ stardust, MAC silverdusk etc. since the shimmer is easier to pull off, more micronized, so it's also suitable for more mature skin (doesn't emphasize wrinkles) and it also doesn't make your pores look like craters. I have to mention the Becca signature scent you also find with this product- I don't particularly like it, though it's not overpowering and fades away after some time, but if you are scent-sensitive you may want to avoid this or try a sample first. IMO these are the BEST highlighters out there, total holy grail material. Nothing I've tried so far can compete with these! The older versions of these shimmer powders cracked quite easily, but they were reformulated. I had all of these shipped to me and none broke in transit, only when constantly bumped around in my purse!!!

Now on to the shades: Let me tell you that the Sephora swatches are totally off, especially those of Angel and Mermaid. Also note that the shades differ in the loose and pressed version, these descriptions are *only* for the PRESSED version!

Nefertiti is the most gorgeous tanned/sandy golden peach shade. I am a PPP and can wear this instead of blush for a subtle effect, or on top of blush to give it more oomph. I'd say it's the powder version of the Byzantine cream blush.

Nymph is a paler than flesh tone, almost white, even if *I* use it all over I look ghostly, so I'd recommend this only for highlighting (cheekbones, browbones etc.)

Hyawatha is like 1-1.5 shades darker than my skin and I actually use it instead of (subtle) bronzer. It's one of my favourites and I can use it all over my face. In summer it works well to accentuate my wee bit of tan, in winter it adds a bit of colour and glow. This is ideal as an illuminating powder for light to medium skins. In contrast to normal bronzer it has coolish silver shimmer and not gold shimmer, so the effect is not golden or orange and I find this suits my skin much better than classic bronzer. The shimmer is very subdued! I find that it also hides minor unevenness of my skin, it sort of "blurs" foundation an concealer underneath and makes your skin look perfect.

Angel- This is the only pressed shimmer powder with a strange consistency (product is hard to pick up with a brush). I use it for the all over illuminating effect that's exactly my skintone, it seems to have a bit of a pinky, peach undertone and although it doesn't look it in the pan it appears lighter applied than hyawatha. Probably because it goes on with more silvery, flesh-toned (think pastel, silvery peach) sheen than hyawatha, it's sorta less pigmentend and more shimmery.. This and nefertiti have the most intense sheen.

Princess- this shade is hard to describe, it's more of a toned down, muted and subtle red with pink and peach tones and gold shimmer, if that makes sense. It's definitely a warm and not a cool shade. I also use this instead of blush or on top of cream blushes, for more oomph (looks great on top of frangipani for example and appears to be its powder version).

Mermaid- this is such a strange shade, I don't really know what to use it for. It's sort of a silver/ gold mix that had a sickly greenish/gray effect on my skin and didn't look good at all. The only purpose I could think of is applying it on top of e/s, but then the big compact seems a waste of money to me. Maybe some people have an olive or ashy skintone that works with this shade, but I wouldn't bet on it. Definitely try this before you buy it!!!

Gypsy- it's a very coolish pink, bordering on fuchsia with gold shimmer, definitely only a blush shade and only for people who can pull off such cool tones! Actually I prefer sylph touch blush by Becca to this shade, because it's less shimmery. Still, it's quite pretty, just not my favourite Pressed Shimmer Powder.

Bottom line- if you look for a blush shade or blush enhancer go with Nefertiti, Princess or Gypsy.
For a real highlighter go for nymph. For an all over illuminator choose Angel (more coolish and lighter) or Hyawatha. I'm not sure any of these will work for people with darker than medium skin tones except for maybe gipsy, but this is only a guess, mind you! Darker skinned gals might find that Athena works for them, I haven't tried this shade myself though. Odette is a new shade and I only have the loose version, but I'd guess it's a pale gold shade..
Hope this helps you all! :)

57 out of 58 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No