September 2, 2014 | 1784 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:41:00 PM More reviews by VersaillesVixen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

(For the record, every time I've purchased this, it's been in a tube, not in the jar pictured here) This stuff was one of the first aha face lotions I ever tried, and I always come back to it when my face needs a little perfecting. What originally sold me was the price (about $10 for a generous tube), but I also LOVE that this is not overly perfumed and it just plain WORKS. Since it is a 12% glycolic acid lotion, it does sting a bit when I first apply it if I have any blemishes, but that goes away within ~20 seconds. Each time I've come back to using it after a long break, I do go through an initial purge period where my face breaks out, but then it's as if I have a brand new face and I spend another year wondering why I ever stopped using it! :) Like any AHA treatment, it will dry your skin if you're not using it alongside another moisturizer, but I prefer this, since it means I can use this with whichever moisturizer I like. No product from Alpha Hydrox has ever let me down, the whole line is just excellent. You have to admit, with such simple packaging and no huge ad campaigns or gimmicks, there must be something to the products in order to stay in business so long. It's because they work! Give them a try; if they don't work for you, you'll only be out 10 bucks :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by SophiaSopapilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Improves acne, evens out skin tone. Found it on a clearance rack at TJ Maxx and initially was out off by the tingling when you first put it on but it goes away in a minute or so. I have 12% and 15% and they work the same.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Used this and the lotion, cream, and gel off and on for the past few years. I always end up returning it, and I never remember why. So this review is a reminder to myself...

This definitely evens skin tone and gives it a glowing appearance after just a couple of uses. I really wish it didn't cause adverse reactions for me, because if it didn't I'd buy stock in this company.

This and all the other AH AHA products cause stinging and itching for 15-30 minutes after applied (for me). This usually happens on the second or third use, after the first use makes me think I'm in the clear. My eyes water and I feel like itching my face off.

After 1-2 uses, these dreaded tiny bumps rise up along my cheeks, chin, and jawline. I sometimes get random whiteheads, too, which would be "purging," if that's even a real thing, but I also get worsening if current acne bumps. So if I have a blocked pore, it becomes a red, inflamed zit, and so on.

Because of the accompanying itching and stinging, and because products actually take several weeks to "break you out" with acne lesions, and because this makes current blemishes more red and inflamed, I have to conclude this is an irritant or allergic reaction, rather than just "purging." I'm getting married in 30 days and I'm not willing to wait it out at the risk of further pissing off my skin. I should realize by now that when I've tried and returned a product several times over multiple years, it's for a reason.

It does do what it says it does, so for those without reactive skin, I say go for it. For me, it's not worth the risk of irritation :( Not sure why I can't just accept that my skin looks it's best with a simple routine of a gentle cleanser, CeraVe AM and PM. Future self: stop buying this and hoping it will be ok this time!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like this product. I purchased at Ulta during one of the their BOGO 50% sales and it was a no brainer since there are so many glowing reviews here on MUA. I purchased this and the moisturizer, brought it home and did the patch test behind my ear for a few days and then used on my face. After the first night alone, I noticed a difference in the small clogged pores on my cheeks, within a couple of days they were totally gone!

I will continue to use this product as I think the results are amazing, I am hoping that in a few more weeks I will have totally smooth skin. I will continue to purchase and use and highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

It had been a while since I had used an AHA cream/lotion,probably 2-3 years. I've used them on and off in the past... Alpha Hydrox AHA lotion and Walgreens knock off of Alpha Hydrox's cream. I don't really remember why I stopped using them... well Walgreen's version I do, it smelled terrible and stung.

Fast forward to current times. I'm almost 30. I still get the occassional break out but have more issues with clogged pores/blackheads than red pus filled pimples. I've also begun to worry a bit about signs of aging. Fun times /sarcasm. I've been using a variety of products on my skin but I was starting to have a major issue with my skin just looking very dull and rough. Especially looking at my skin in any crosslighting I was just like "ugh what is going on"... I had a very uneven skin texture and it was bugging the heck out of me because that wasn't an issue I have really had to deal with a whole lot.

So I though oh, might be time to try AHA again but I didn't want to do the lotion from this brand again and I wasn't interested in using Walgreen's AHA cream again so I made the trip to Ulta with the intent of buying the Oil Free Gel from this brand. Wouldn't you know it that I spend 25 minutes driving to Ulta for that one specific product and they are sold out. So I decided to try the Souffle.

It is housed in a tube, which is nice. I don't like jars. Souffle I was thinking a very light, airy, whipped sort of texture. No. This has more of a cream type texture but I am pleased that absorbs very quickly at least in the spirit of what I think a skin souffle should do. I wear it under makeup and sometimes to bed after washing my face without any issues. It doesn't have a smell and it doesn't sting at all.

The first week I used it I didn't notice a whole lot happening but I stuck with it. The second week I noticed that my skin was starting to look and feel a heck of a lot smoother and that the clogged pores and blackheads were loosening up and easier to extract.

I am now in my 3rd week with this product and I am crazy happy with it. My skin feels so velvety smooth and soft and the uneven texture and roughness I was experiencing as virtually been erased. My pores look a lot better.

So yeah, I'm really happy with this. I'm still debating if I should try the oil free gel but I don't know...if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Update: I ended up trying the gel and I hate it. I posted my review for that and will definitely be sticking to the souffle from here on out. Also I am extremely pleased to report that I have begun seeing some improvement to a forehead wrinkle that has taunted me for the past couple of years. It looks very much softened. I have bought a lot of products trying to improve the appearence of that thing and nothing has worked until now.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by linhle777

I am on my third and another for backup. I always go back to this product. It makes your skin phenomenal. Smooths, evens, great for acne. I don't have wrinkles but to know it helps with that makes me feel confident. I strictly use this for the few pimples I have monthly. You have to use it everyday to keep up the perfect skin look. I don't recommend this during the day time because it's bad to wear this in the sun. I apply this at night. When I kept up with this every night my skin was so perfect I didn't even need makeup.There are high end products that didn't give results this good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by thisisnotindy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Amazing glycolic product! I am 20 so wrinkles aren't a concern for me yet, but my skin reacts really well to daily chemical exfoliation. This leaves my skin glowing and smooth. I use it every night. I live in the midwest and the central air has been drying out my skin. My evening skin routine:

1. shower
2. in the shower I massage sweet almond oil to remove all my makeup and then follow up with Boots cleansing balm for dry/very dry skin (new product for me, works pretty well so far)
3. dry my face
4. cerave moisturizing lotion
5. Alpha Hydrox souffle
6. vaseline/aquaphor to seal in the moisture

It seems like a lot of steps but it takes me about 3 minutes. I'm not sure if I should be waiting for the souffle to dry, but my skin has been liking this routine so I'm not going to change it. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by stepdaughter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Whenever my skin starts to act up I would slather a lot of this product then follow up with a moisturizer, it really helps to calm the skin and the spots are reduced a lot by the next day. Amazing product but be careful if you have sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by susanjane

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried higher priced glycolic acid products but I keep coming back to AHA souffle. There is nothing better for performance or price. It comes in a tube now which makes it slightly easier to apply and more convenient for travel.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely adore this inexpensive cream!
I have combo skin, more on the oily side in summer and fall and dryish in winter. I have enlarged pores. Pimple here and there. I don't consider myself old, but there are some changes in my skin and I blame my age. I'm in my early thirties and I see that I don't look as fresh as I used before 30. The skin tone is not as healthy as it was even a year ago.
My skin routine is very simple. I use retin cream, cera Ve am and pm moisterizers.
After some research on Benefits of AHA I decided to buy smth not very expensive.
Accidently I came across this brand, which I have never heard before.
I ordered it from dermstore.com 1.6 oz for around 16$, plus free shipping, plus samples.
Since I started to use the souffle I noticed my skin glowing. This is not an oily glow but a very natural and youthful which I didn't have before. It seems to control those pimples that I have sometimes. I think it also unklogged my pores. I also noticed that there are no dry patches on my skin which are not noticable normaly, but when I put make up they become more obvious. I use this souffle in conjunction with retin a creams and these results may be the work of two products. But i am sure this is AHA souffle which makes me glow. Whatever it is retin A and AHA are very beneficial for the skin just don't layer them on top of each other. Use AHa am and retin A pm. In this case they will work for sure.
The cream is not oily, absorbs very quickly, doesn't leave greasy film. At the same time it doesnt dry my skin now but it might in winter.
I use this cream everyday am or pm. If I go outside I use liberally SPF 30 or more.
For some people 12% AHA might be too irritating for everyday. It also can be drying especially if you have dry sensetive skin. In this case I would limit it to 2, 3 times a week and see how it works. As far as I checked Alpha Hydroxy company has
AHA with lower percentage. They also have AHA creams and serums and you can try a cream which will be more moisterizing than the souffle.
I put 5 lippis for package because my cream came in a tube, not a jar.
I wish I knew about this brand sooner. After I run out of this souffle I want to try there 15% AHA lotion which will be even better exfoliant for my skin.
Try it you will not regret at least you wil get that youthfull glow.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No