Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

4.1

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 2, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein (Peptides), Green Tea Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, PVM/MA Decadene Crosspolymer, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT

on 4/9/2015 7:36:00 PM

I love chemical exfoiliation and seem to do really well with AHA's and when I needed to bump my cart over for free shipping. I threw a tube of this in. I absolutely love this product, first it comes in a tube, second it has a very nice texture. Even though I'm no stranger to acids and I use 40% AHA and 40% Mandelic acid this works so well to upkeep my peels. It just keeps my skin looking glowey and better. I haven't had any breakouts with this either. In fact my skin has never been smoother! It comes in a nice tube and a little goes a long way.

It doesn't sting or burn when I apply it but like I said I use chemical exfoilients a lot. I've always had a problem with break outs and this seems to keep them under control. My skin is so even toned and poreless! I mean it just looks so much better and my makeup is going on better as well. I think the 12% is perfect for someone starting out on these types of products or who are used to AHA's but want to keep your peels looking fresh. It really gives me time in between my peels so I love that. This is a great company as well I love how they actually tell you the ph of their product.

It's a no frills product too. Just a quality product in a tube that works. Especially for my acne prone skin. I've been using this every night since I purchased it and I totally see a difference. My skin which loves to be blotchy is totally even. It almost looks porcelain it's in such good shape. This is a great product whether you are starting out or are used to chemical exfoilients because this does the job very well. Some might purge a bit I got one spot on my lower jaw but it went away in a day. I will absolutely repurchase this and most definitely recommend it!

on 4/9/2015 2:11:00 PM

I went through a couple of the old jars (now in a tube) and just ordered online when I realized my drugstore stopped carrying it. Very effective, slight stinging, very helpful with controlling small clogged pores and breakouts along my hairline and nose. I have oily skin in the T zone and would use it once a week or so in the evening before going to bed.

on 3/30/2015 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

once a week for great skin! stings a little around my nose and if i get it in my eyebrows, and definitely beat the shit out of my skin when i used it every single day (GASP). this is a high percentage AHA so pleaaaasee be careful and don't use this recklessly - once or twice a week is a good amount. otherwise your skin will turn against you due to overexfoliation, and that's no fun :(

on 12/28/2014 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This stuff has been a savoir for me. Over the last year and a half my face went from normal to very dry and very clogged prone especially my cheek area. I go to a dermatologist..I have all kinds of different prescriptions. I tried so many different products but this product has been the one to resolve my over a year long battle! This stings the heck out of me for about 5 to 10 minutes after applying it but my skin looks, soft, smooth, and glowy instead of rough and dry! My skin looks healthy again! It did bring out some acne that was just under the surface of my skin and it took about a week for that to be done. This is also fading my acne marks fast!

on 11/21/2014 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This has made a big difference in my skin! I have ridiculously clogged and enlarged pores, I hate it. But using this makes my skin clear and smooth. It makes my pores smaller and more refined, my skin overall less blotchy, and seems to be working well on some fine lines I have. I don't like to exfoliate every night so I like to use this all over on the nights I skip my clarisonic, and around the eye area every night. I have oily skin so I use this with argan oil every night to balance me out and my face has been glowing ever since.

on 11/14/2014 3:08:00 PM

Kind of a cult favorite, right? This is the product that started me down the road of clear, bright skin bliss.

I no longer use this product as my exfoliant, as I've been enjoying PC's BHA's for a while now, but that doesn't detract from how amazing this is as an AHA exfoliant. Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle stands out as a gem not only due to its effectiveness and stellar formula, but because of the companies' transparency regarding the products' pH (which is an essential component to a good exfoliant). Bravo, Alpha Hydrox. :)

on 10/14/2014 7:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I still have a jar of this in the "old" glass jar packaging and a new one in waiting in the tube (had a hard time finding it, as I was looking for the old packaging). You can buy pricier AHA products and you can buy those with a lower concentration if you're worried about 12% being too strong. But in my experience, you won't find a better product at any price point. This cream does a fabulous job of improving the look of my skin - shrinking the look/size of my pores, evening out skin tone - without any irritation at all. In summer, I use this on its own, with only a sunscreen on top (necessary if you're going to use this in the daytime) and in colder months, I'll top this with a moisturizer and some form of sun protection, either already in my moisturizer or in the primer or foundation I'm applying. I just wish it were easier to get hold of Alpha Hydrox here in Canada.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

(For the record, every time I've purchased this, it's been in a tube, not in the jar pictured here) This stuff was one of the first aha face lotions I ever tried, and I always come back to it when my face needs a little perfecting. What originally sold me was the price (about $10 for a generous tube), but I also LOVE that this is not overly perfumed and it just plain WORKS. Since it is a 12% glycolic acid lotion, it does sting a bit when I first apply it if I have any blemishes, but that goes away within ~20 seconds. Each time I've come back to using it after a long break, I do go through an initial purge period where my face breaks out, but then it's as if I have a brand new face and I spend another year wondering why I ever stopped using it! :) Like any AHA treatment, it will dry your skin if you're not using it alongside another moisturizer, but I prefer this, since it means I can use this with whichever moisturizer I like. No product from Alpha Hydrox has ever let me down, the whole line is just excellent. You have to admit, with such simple packaging and no huge ad campaigns or gimmicks, there must be something to the products in order to stay in business so long. It's because they work! Give them a try; if they don't work for you, you'll only be out 10 bucks :)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Improves acne, evens out skin tone. Found it on a clearance rack at TJ Maxx and initially was out off by the tingling when you first put it on but it goes away in a minute or so. I have 12% and 15% and they work the same.

on 6/18/2014 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Used this and the lotion, cream, and gel off and on for the past few years. I always end up returning it, and I never remember why. So this review is a reminder to myself...

This definitely evens skin tone and gives it a glowing appearance after just a couple of uses. I really wish it didn't cause adverse reactions for me, because if it didn't I'd buy stock in this company.

This and all the other AH AHA products cause stinging and itching for 15-30 minutes after applied (for me). This usually happens on the second or third use, after the first use makes me think I'm in the clear. My eyes water and I feel like itching my face off.

After 1-2 uses, these dreaded tiny bumps rise up along my cheeks, chin, and jawline. I sometimes get random whiteheads, too, which would be "purging," if that's even a real thing, but I also get worsening if current acne bumps. So if I have a blocked pore, it becomes a red, inflamed zit, and so on.

Because of the accompanying itching and stinging, and because products actually take several weeks to "break you out" with acne lesions, and because this makes current blemishes more red and inflamed, I have to conclude this is an irritant or allergic reaction, rather than just "purging." I'm getting married in 30 days and I'm not willing to wait it out at the risk of further pissing off my skin. I should realize by now that when I've tried and returned a product several times over multiple years, it's for a reason.

It does do what it says it does, so for those without reactive skin, I say go for it. For me, it's not worth the risk of irritation :( Not sure why I can't just accept that my skin looks it's best with a simple routine of a gentle cleanser, CeraVe AM and PM. Future self: stop buying this and hoping it will be ok this time!

Popular Treatments (Face)