Nina - Ultra Pro

3.7

on 6/24/2015 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought a few different shades of this polish (Violet It Ride is my fav). I found that it goes on smooth and evenly. Love the size of the brush. I can almost cover my entire nail in one swoop! I don't find it to be overly thick and the color is exact to what you see in the bottle. I'll definitely repurchase when I run out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Worst nail polish ever. It goes on very streaky. Multiple coats drag the earlier coats underneath and make a mess. Has a matte surface but never really dried - I went up to four coats to try for an opaque look and all I got was draggy streaky lines and bare spots. Sinful Polish is much better or better yet just buy China Glaze which has never disappointed me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought a dark plum grey color to paint my toe nails and I think it is a very decent product.
The varnish is a bit thick consistency, which is not my favorite type because they always tend to dry up the fastest.
The color is so pigmented I only needed one coat to get perfect color and it dried pretty fast. The brush is flat but wide so I had to be extremely careful with application.

on 3/20/2015 4:37:00 PM

I'm editing my review now that I know more about nail polishes. The formula on Blue Blaze is very much like a neon, although I wouldn't have considered it a neon based on the color. The finish is rubbery/matte and a bit uneven unless you're very careful. It dries quickly and is opaque in 2 medium-thick coats. So I have mixed feelings on that color. BUT I love the holographic top coat and the quick dry top coat in this line. They're both amazing. I would buy those again, and I would try non-neon shades.

on 8/1/2014 2:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this from Sally's beauty supply for about 4 dollars. I got it in the shade Violet It Ride(bright magenta) and a cobalt blue shade. They have a nice color selection and they are the cheapest nail polishes at the store. Let me say at first I didn't have high expectations because it was a random brand and it was so cheap. When I applied this over my acrylic nails, WOW. The color pay off was amazing and the shades were so vibrant. I haven't tried this over my real nails but over my acrylics I'm going to give this a 10/10. Stays on very well and perfect finish. The pink dries almost matte but still looks extremely glossy once you put a top coat over it. I wore it to a 7 day beach vacation which is extremely rough on my nails but still stayed on with a little wear. Only con is that the brush is bigger than most brushes but I can easily put up with it for the awesome price. Definitely going back to buy more colors. (By the way they're usually on sale at Sally's)

on 1/20/2014 10:25:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased three Nina Ultra Pro polishes and love them. I used Butter London's basecoat and PDQ topcoat with each of them.

Punki Pink is the most awesome neon pink EVER!!! I can't live without it. I did notice a little tip wear after three days but that's okay, the color more than makes up for it. The brush on this one was wide but not bad at all. I like a wide brush and this one was perfect. This is by far my summer go-to color from now on.

Cobalt is a beautiful blue jelly. The color is spectacular but the brush on this color was even wider which made it too wide. I don't understand why this brush was bigger but it was and made application very hard. Color was great in two coats, even better in three. Two days and no chips but I got antsy for a new color and took it off.

Lilac-ing Discipline is my heart. This color is perfect in two coats. I've had it on four days with no tip wear, no chipping, it still looks perfect. My dishwasher died last week so until it was fixed, I had to hand wash dishes. I washed about four or five times with this polish on and it was still perfect. Last night I put another light coat of color on and then another BL topcoat just so it would still look terrific today at work. I can't get enough of this color, it's AWESOME! Wide brush like with Punki Pink but not nearly as bad as the brush in Cobalt. This color is by far a keeper!

The Nina Ultra Pro line from Sally's seems to be a pretty good deal. The formulas are great and wear time is nice as well. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the brush being too wide on any other colors.

on 9/21/2013 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This review is for Blu Blaze, a beautiful deep ocean blue. I wanted to like this polish. I am a polish junkie and fall for nearly every polish made, but this one is just dreadful. The color when its wet is really pretty and a vivid ocean blue. The formula glides on and the polish applies well without flooding or running, but it goes on sooo streaky. I used 3 coats and there were still streaks visible. This dried to an ugly matte finish and looked like rubber. I added some top coat and now it's shiny but it is still streaky and it is bugging the heck out of me. The cap and brush on this are standard and they work well for me. I like the smaller brush as I can get a more precise edge on my smaller nail beds than I can with the wide pro brushes. I rarely use this polish because it's just ugly the way it dries and I refuse to use 4 coats of a colored polish for a mani. That's just way too many. An opaque color should be just that in 1 or 2 coats, it should not take 4 unless your pigment and formula is cheap. I've got .79 cent polishes that way outperform this mess. I keep this now for nail art only.

on 9/20/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I found Nina Ultra Pro nail polish at my local Sally Beauty Supply during a visit. I'd never used/heard of/seen this brand before but at 5.00 a bottle I thought I'd give it a shot! The line has a very nice, large color selection covering pretty much any shade you could want, at 4.00 to 10.00 less than OPI or Butter London.

The pros end there.

Let me say that I have very pale skin, but I LOVE blue nail polish. Not sparkly or matte but creme colors, in the cobalt/royal/navy family. Most navy blues end up looking almost black on me so I tend to gravitate towards the cobalt/royal blue side. Most shades in this family are overdone with glitter or sparkle of some type. Whether it be hex, holo or chunky, I HATE glitter in my blue polish. No sparkle for me!

So, when I spotted Nina Ultra Pro nail polish in Cobalt I was I serious love. It's a creamy cobalt blue, no shimmer. Until recently the closest I found was a Julep navy color (too dark on me really) & a L'oreal royal blue jelly polish that's so sheer it needs multiple coats over white, too time consuming. But the Loreal is so pretty I still bought 2, when I've got the time it's gorgeous! The name is Miss Pixie.

So I bought the Nina Ultra Pro in Cobalt & went home to do my nails. As stated by other reviewers the brush is HUGE, very wide from base to the tip, so you have to be super careful with application & even then it can be a big mess. My advice? Have a nail polish clean up pen handy or orange cuticle sticks & remover handy to tidy up during application.

The color, while gorgeous is semi-sheer, it would take 2 coats to get full coverage & though it dried fast it is more matte when it dries. This isn't a deal breaker for me, as it shouldn't be for many....most of you use a top coat & that alone amps up shine.

If I really take my time with application, starting w/ OPI chip skip, then 2 coats, not 1 of Orly bonder, followed by 2 coats of the Nina in cobalt, wrapping the tips & following w/ Seche Vite quick dry top coat, also wrapping the tips with the SV, I can get decent wear, about 2 days before the tips show the nail & 4 or so before any major damage becomes noticeable. Not bad, but not good either.

All in all I will repurchase this, simply because I love the color so much. It's worth a look especially if you want trend shades w/o going broke, just be sure to prep the nails & use a good basecoat & topcoat, b/c without it Nina Ultra Pro nail polish wouldn't stand up well to everyday wear & tear.

I loved the colors and the price so I bought 5! However, after painting my nails, the price wasn't any kind of deal. Went on kind of thick, no matter WHAT I did. The brush is almost too wide to do it neatly. But I persevered, got 2 coats on and it had a dull, almost matte finish. I used my Orly Sec-n dry topcoat and got a gorgeous shine. Within 3 hours it was starting to chip even with Orly Bonder basecoat! I thought maybe I would try it as a water marble instead. Nope. Would NOT spread. So, maybe I'll keep it around for nail art, dots, small accents but this is THE WORST polish I've ever bought... and I buy polish from the dollar store, walmart, where ever they sell it! I have polish that's over 10 years old and IT'S better than Nina. Will never buy again. Which sucks because they have some kickin colors!

on 4/12/2013 9:56:00 PM

Saw this polish at Sally's today and thought I'd give it a go since it was inexpensive and they were having a buy 2 get 1 free on all the polishes. The color I applied is called Never Glum Plum. After buffing, I used Butter London's base coat, 3 coats of the color, and BL's top coat. I wasn't expecting much because of the other reviews listed, but it isn't as bad as I thought.

Pros: it dries fairly quickly, it's 3 free, the brush is thick and wide, and it's inexpensive.

Cons: it's streaky which makes it difficult to make the coats even, and it's on the thicker side. I'd probably buy it again even though it isn't perfect.

UPDATE: The polish chips fairly easily...after about 3 days it chipped. It also rubs off at the tips fairly easily as well. Where I work I'm constantly washing my hands and picking things up, so it is fairly easy for polishes to chip for me, but I've worn others that have lasted at least 5 days before chipping/wearing.

Popular Polishes