December 18, 2014 | 1809 users online

Masks - Mario Badescu - whitening mask

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by NettalynnB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wrote a review of this a long time ago. It used to be my HG product to keep my skin smooth and clear. I have very sensitive skin, and a few years ago this was the product my dermatologist recommended to help sooth and heal my blemishes, prevent further breakouts, hydrate and lighten hyperpigmentation. Below is the original ingredients list (I've uploaded a picture of my old jar with the original ingredients).

Deionized water (Aqua) ,Kaolin, Balsam (Myroxylon Pereirae Resin) Peru, Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Starch, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Sorbitol, Kojic Acid, Mulberry (Morus Alba Root) Extract, Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root) Extract, Grape (Vitis Vinifera) Extract, Scullcap Extract.

I ran out of this product a few months ago and was out of the country. Over those few months my skin was okay, but not excellent as it used to be. I was scraping the bottom of my jar and carefully mixing in little bits of water to stretch the last few remnants. It was quite tragic, romantic even as I nursed the last scrapings of my whitening mask.

Once I returned home, I immediately marched out (virtually) to amazon.com and reordered a jar. It arrived in two days (yay for Prime!) and I ripped open the packaging like a child on Christmas convinced they'd received a Red Rider BB Gun, but without the potential health hazards.

I'll admit I threw caution to the wind. I cleansed my face, opened the jar and spread the soothing, creamy white mask over my face. Ahhh...bliss...

I rinsed it off and then went to sleep, dreaming dreams of waking up to my smooth, polished skin once again. It'd been a long few months.

I woke up to a nightmare. My skin had broken out in angry red bumps and cystic pimples I hadn't experienced in my entire life. It was disgusting. Horrified, I reached for my Mario Badescu Whitening Mask. Surely it would save me!

I glanced at the ingredients list, really just by accident. Also it looked bigger, and I'm easily distracted. There I discovered, to my horror, that Mario Badescu, my savior of skin, my long sought holy grail of awesome skin saving amazingness, had betrayed me.

The new ingredients:

Aqua (Water, Eau), Kaolin, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax, Cire Microcristalline), Sorbitol, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil, Huile Minerale), Propylene Glycol, Cera Alba (Beeswax, Cire d’abeille), Cellulose Gum, Kojic Acid, Tocopherol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Rhizome/Root, Morus Nigra Rot, Scutellaria Galericulata Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Polysorbate 80, Methylparaben, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Seed Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Sodium Chloride, Parfum (Fragrance), Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Benzoic Acid, Magnesium Aspartate, Panthenol, Potassium Aspartate, Potassium Hydroxide, Propylparaben, Sarcosine

Et tu, Mario?

That, in case you don't suffer from extreme sensitive skin, is a list from hell. There's mineral oil, parabens, sensitizing oils like evening primrose, waxes, and fragrance (of all the damn things).

Sensitive skin can't take things like mineral oil, and many oils cause it to react with what looks like breakouts but technically (according to my dermatologist) is closer to small boils.

Now, I'm not saying MB is responsible for my recent insane breakout (which has healed after several visits to my dermatologist and some custom made masks). I should have read the ingredients carefully, even though I've used it before. It had been a long time, and I shouldn't have assumed the product would be identical.

However, I'm frustrated that Mario Badescu has shifted from their focus on loads of active ingredients and minimal fillers to a product that resembles something I could buy in WalMart, but twice the cost. When I originally looked at the ingredients on MB's site they were still listed as the original (a week or so ago). At the time I spoke on the Speak to a Live Skin Care Specialist Now! with someone and asked if I might have purchased a knock off due to all the strange ingredients. They said no, I had purchased from their legitimate Amazon store. I asked about the new ingredients, and was told they had revised their several of their formulas recently. As of today, the ingredient list has been updated.

That Whitening Mask was my savior as a teenager and into my early twenties. It took me from easily irritated skin to the complexion of a Barbie Doll. Okay...maybe like Barbie's brunette, much paler friend. But it made me look like a porcelain doll, and my skin was never irritated or broken out while using it.

It was amazing, and perfectly formulated for people with sensitive skin.

Now I have only the memory of those glorious days. Just me and my jar of Mario Badescu Whitening Mask, flitting together through fields of poppies, hand in...jar...or whatever...

All that is lost to time. Slathered in mineral oil and doused in parabens. Like gremlins exploded from the poppy fields and crapped all over our picnic.

Yeah.

I've switched over to making my own masks, sourcing ingredients from a few cosmetics sites and natural skin care sites. That's helped, I've managed to get back to my original, pre-betrayal complexion. But I still miss Mario...how we used to be...happy, monogamous, sweet smelling like a a fresh spiced cake out of the oven...

Now I'm hungry.

*Ahem*

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing any products from Mario Badescu again. I will not be recommending them to friends, family, or even enemies (as I used to).

It's over, Mario. So over.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Econobabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this whitening mask. It smells great, it even helped me stop smoking. When I got the urge to light up a cigarette, I would distract myself with the beautiful scent of this product while doing the mask treatment. It brightens up your skin evenly. It really does seem to work, and I would buy it if I had more money. I would consider this a luxury item, if you want to really pamper yourself, try this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

This product definitely worked the first few times I used it. The lightening affects are subtle and very gentle. However, I noticed I was getting tiny pimples where I used it AND my face began getting redder. After a few hours, it would disappear or I could use make up to hide it. I discontinued use, and I don't miss it. I read on "Paula's choice," that because of the jar packaging, the product looses its potency. I don't know what happened in my case. I used it several times, saw good results and then more acne.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Lefox92

Not a fan of this product.
The positives are: it smells nice, spreads on easily, a little goes a long way
The negatives are: it's leaves a heavy clay residue on the face that no amount of soap can wash off (like, after you rinse it off, your skin looks clean, but actually you can still feel the heaviness of the clay in your pores), it doesn't work: after 3 weeks of using it 3 times a week my skin has shown no signs of improvement from acne scarring, uneven skin tone and sun damage, lastly for this reason I don't think it's good value for money.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by emarieet

I have combination skin and I break out very easily. I also have redness on my chin. After I use this product, my face feels refreshed, smooth and the redness is reduced. I love the smell and I use this when my face breaks out but I usually do it two to three times a week. You don't need much when you put it on. Along with the Whitening Mask the other products I use from Mario Badescu are: Flower and Tonic Mask. Drying Lotion, Cucumber Cleansing Lotion and Special Healing Powder. I believe all of these products have made a big difference in my acne. I break out less and I don't have to wear makeup anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Galaxydreamz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Use;
Almost every other night as a spot treatment (leave it on the whole night)

Pros;
-SLOWLY lightens hyperpigmentation
-nice calming effect on skin
-skin is smooth after mask
-no strong smell
-not drying
-Product lasts awhile (even though jar looks tiny for the price)

Cons;
-No immediate results
-flakes like crazy if you leave it over night
-doesn't cure zits
-doesn't prevent acne marks

Basically, this jar has lasted me three months. It has helped lighten old acne marks a bit (any progress is great progress). Like it and will repurchase when done. I do recommend using another spot treatment for active zits though because this wont do much.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by GoingCoen

I like this mask when its on and I like the results that it gives, however, the reason why i gave it 3 lippies, is because 1, it leaves this weird waxy residue on my face thats really hard to get off, and I'm not the only one that gets it, and 2, JAR PACKAGING. stop with this! jar packaging makes all of the antioxidants and all the beneficial ingredients in ANY product go bad! the product goes bad so much faster with jar packaging! But it is a good mask and I have noticed changes in my pigmentation so I guess it does what it says.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by Bellajean2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my opinion, this mask is wonderful!. In four days this mask has reduced my post acne hyper pigmentation by over 60%. It is such a great feeling to get fast results as I've had these marks for over a year now.
I used this mask at night and left it on. I mixed some 15% glycolic acid gel with some whitening mask and spot treated over night. I have also been using the glycolic gel 3-4 days a week at night. Try this if your skin is used to glycolic acid, otherwise it may cause too much redness and irritation! Maybe in a few more weeks the marks will be completely gone....Patience is the key!

I really hope this information helps....

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

This mask is really nice for people who have acne scars. I don't think it does much for like dark age spots, but I do notice an improvement in my acne scars (even the really old ones)
I apply this once a week for about 20 minutes, and I do like the results so far. I have not broken out or had any weird skin reaction to this product (or any of the MB products) which makes me really happy! It says on the "tub" that you can use this 2-3 times a week, but I do find it a bit drying so I stick to once a week.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by linachu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This masks does slightly reduce my acne marks. I use this once a week all over my face, and 2-3 times a week at night dotted onto the marks. It may not 100% remove dark spots but my face does look brighter after using it. It also helps to dry up pesky whiteheads and clear pores. It smells sweet and has a very strange consistency. The packaging is not hygienic, but I'm not too bothered since I wash my hands.