December 18, 2014 | 1667 users online

Treatments - Orly - Tough Cookie

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by newrhythm

As an employee for a cosmetology supply store, i bought this product at a great price. I have used as per instructions and NOT AS A BASECOAT, and it has not failed me. I applied a week ago and it hasnt peeled, leaving a wonderful, natural shine. My nails already feel stronger, not having broken or cracked since, which they did often.
Defiantly would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is not a base coat. Its a nail strengthener. I do my nails with an actual basecoat on Saturday and then when it chips on I use this by itself. If you want to use it as a basecoat you will have problems because it will make your polish peel off really bad in sheets. If you want strong nails and are willing to let your nails breath without polish this will be great. Top to bottom would be great or OPI nail envy as a base coat. This is more of a treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 12:30:00 AM More reviews by cortycrazy

Not sure why there are so many negative reviews on this.. I absolutely love this product. I bought it after I took my acrylics off to try to help my nails get back to some state of normal.. I've never had strong nails to begin with, and this has REALLY helped. My nails are definitely stronger than they have ever been, and don't peel at all anymore. I don't use this as a base or top coat, it says right on the packaging not recommended for use with nail lacquer. I usually apply 1-2 coats of this by itself in between polish changes, I don't notice any chipping until around day 3 or 4, and I am constantly using my hands at work unpacking boxes and stocking shelves. I would buy this product again in a heartbeat!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2013 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Moelicious209

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I paint my nails a different color every Sunday evening. I always add this AFTER my Top2Bottom base coat. My nails are naturally long and Tough! Weak nails no more! I have a picture in my profile as proof that this polish works well for me. Doentt chip so easily.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by curlysierf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Honestly, I regret buying this lol. It was good for the first day but after that it just started peeling and coming off. It even happened to my mom as well. Never buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Kris0218

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As other reviewers have said, this is just awful as a base coat. It makes nail polish peel off in sheets after just a day or two. I also didn't notice any major improvements in nail strength/length compared to other base coats. Back to Prolana Nail Optimizer for me. Or OPI or Sally Hansen... anything but this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2013 4:00:00 AM More reviews by MrsSuave

I use this only as a strengthener not a base or top coat period. My nails usually get to a certain length and just break. With this they feel stronger and I have not had a tear or break yet. I love the rubber grip and the shine is amazing. I do understand the peeling, though, which did happen after the first day. I remedied this simply by applying a second coat.

SIDE NOTE: I had to comment after seeing many of the reviews on how it's a terrible base coat. On the box it says it is not supposed to be used with nail lacquers. ( I wish I could put this in bold).

I just don't want so many bad reviews to deter from what could possibly be a great product for someone( because as with most beauty products, they don't work the same for one person as they would for another).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For some reason, this works terribly as a base coat but fantastically as a top coat. It dries very quickly and provides a glossy protective coat that lengthens the life of my manicure.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by gfunkymonkey

i took this from my mom's house as i had just started to wear artificial nails, and figured in b/w i could "strengthen" up my nails. im so glad i did NOT pay for this. it literally peels off in 1 piece. does not STAY on nails. i am going to sneak this back into her hall closet, and pretend i never "borrowed" it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by sunnygirl10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I am shocked with all of the negative reviews on this product. For one I do not use Tough Cookie as a base coat or a top coat maybe that's why I'm having success with it.

I have natural nails that's maybe 1/2 inch past my fingertips. I don't use gel, acrylic or wraps. My current routine is to use a moisturizing base coat, this product (Orly Tough Cookie) OR a nail strengthener with bits of garlic, 2 coats of polish and a top coat.

I find when I use this product it not only makes my nails a little stronger, but it makes the nail polish adhere easier as well.

Occasionally I will apply a very thin amount as a top coat. I do love the shine and how fast it dries. The scent is a bit odd, but it does not linger. It's a keeper for me.