August 31, 2014 | 943 users online

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Selected shade: magenta

Pros

- affordable
- intense
- did not damage hair

Cons

- hard to squeeze out of tube
- strong smell
- fades unevenly

Comments: Such a lovely color. Magenta is a pink based red, very intense. I used a 20 vol developer on my fine hair and left it on for 40 min. Roots came out a little lighter, but that's my own fault as I left it on longer than the instructions stated. My base color was a shade of auburn from a previous dye and my natural hair (new growth) is a level 4. I did not have any bleach in my hair prior to using the Hi-Lights.

Color does bleed and will fade as all reds do. Application best used with a brush and gloves. Always leave roots for last as virgin hair takes color much sooner. Make sure hair is fully dry before laying on anything as color will transfer. Fading time will vary from person to person as will results (after a week the bottom half of my hair faded to an orange-brown). You do not have to have virgin or dark hair to even use this. However...if your hair is naturally blonde, bleached, or quite light go for a vol 10 developer as you will only need to deposit color and not lift your existing shade. Hair that has been dyed black will take the most work (I recommend stripping the hair first unless you want subtle color). Touching up is best done using your choice of a semi permanent (manic panic, ion, special fx, etc.) When your new growth needs to be touched up, you will go back to this and leave it on for 10 - 15 min with a developer best suited for your level of hair (seems a vol 20 is recommended the most though).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2012 2:59:00 PM More reviews by ZanyZana

I get very bored with my hair color often and decided recently that I wanted something vibrant and bold! After doing a lot of research and reading tons of reviews I decided to try L'Oreal Hi-color Hi-Lights for Dark hair only.First I did it in Magenta ...I wasn't thinking clearly and put it all over and ended up with "hot roots". So I returned to Sally's but they were out of Magenta, so i decided to go with Red. WOW! This was such a beautiful bright Red!! I absolutely loved it! Not for you if you want a natural looking red though. Make sure to put on your ends first and only on your roots for the last 10-15 minutes depending on how dark your natural color is! DID NOT damage my hair! Smell wasn't to strong! My only complaints is the amount and it faded pretty fast. The fading may have been due to me showering with hot/warm water, but it is winter and too cold for cold showers! This may be fixed with a color protein filler also. Next I will be trying their Mega Blondes ... I have already stripped my hair with Jherri Redding's One and Only Color Fix! Will post a review on that product AND my Mega Blonde results this weekend! HAPPY COLORING!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2009 10:07:00 PM More reviews by jes0912

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i'm pretty new to dying my hair at home, but anyhow... this review is for the excellence cremelights that's sold at Sally's Beauty Supply. the hi-lighting kit smells amazing..! and i did also buy something called a frosting cap (includes something that looks like a shower cap with holes and a metal piece to hook hair out) which made the application process a piece of cake! i should also mention that the cap i bought had two layers, the first layer with the holes already in it and the second one without holes to prevent any dye from leaking through. although it does take a while to 'hook' all the pieces of hair through the frosting cap, it makes the application so much easier!

the result:
the results are literally as expected as indicated on the box. it lightens your hair by two shades which made my hair a golden shade. also with the cap, i could adjust how much hair would be hi-lighted so i made sure i wasn't pulling too much hair through, i just did small little strands everywhere so it looked pretty natural.
the only down side to this product is because it's the 'no ammonia' formula, the hi-lights looked fabulous for the first week or so. after a week or so, the colour started to fade and i really just got sick of the hi-lights, so i ended up dying my hair dark again.

so i would definitely recommend this product if you don't mind having to dye your hair again in 2-3 weeks. it's definitely more of a temporary hair dying product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2007 12:39:00 AM More reviews by DecemberDreams

HiColor Red HiLights is the BEST bright red you will ever try! I use it on my entire head for a long lasting red. Much better than Manic Panic!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2007 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ezzyb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have reviewed the High Color in Dark Auburn Red, (and still loving it!) but was tempted to try some summer fun with the Magenta color. I wanted pretty big chunks, so I bought a chunking cap from Sally's and was pleased to say that it worked okay. it took a while to get the hang of the hook because I feel it was too small to get enough hair through. But after a minute or so, my hands figured out how to work again.

In mixing the color, I noticed how thick it was! It was way thicker than the all over color.It took a while to mix it properly in the reusable bottle I got at Sally's. I feel some of it might have not mixed properly. (That being said, next time I will use a bowl.) The color was as previously stated, RED! Which I liked. The 30 minutes of waiting seems a little short.

Upon rinsing, the color looked pretty good. It produces, as predicted, a cool-toned red. Also it didn't feel too bad on my hair. But I conditioned with an after color care one from Ion. After the blowout, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw big chunks of dark red. I wouldn't quite call it Magenta, since I used a 20 dev. instead of the 30 recommended.

But it is exactly what I wanted. I hate the look of highlights on me. They just scream fake (which is ironic when I am looking for Dr. Pepper red hair). But I LOVE sublte variations of red. This color is a nice red with a little hint of fuschia. It blends nicely with the other colors in my hair.

Next time I might try using two different colors. Maybe the magenta and a true red, giving different parts of my hair different tones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2007 12:51:00 AM More reviews by annypooh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I never thought I would find something like this outside of a salon, but I did!!! And I am so happy. This product is designed for dark hair to lift it shades lighter without the harshness of bleach. And it delivers exactly what it promises! I am so happy I do not have to go to a salon again for my stubborn black hair. This hair dye easily dyes over my black hair in one, short, easy application. Do note, that this is indeed a salon product, so I had to look on the internet for it. The activator must be purchased separately. For reference, I am Asian with very black hair. I would highly recommend this to people like me who used to run to drugstores to buy some ridiculous strawberry blonde shade in order to achieve a dark brown color on black hair. Yay!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2006 11:37:00 AM More reviews by LakeLaw

Do you have BLACK hair, or really DARK BROWN hair? Do you want to get the results like Jennifer Lopez? Excellence Cremelights Highlighting Kit lifts up to 5 levels! (can be bought at SALLY'S for around $8.00) Does not leave hair feeling dry or damaged. I am half Native American and have BLACK hair, and it lifts me to a dark blonde/light brown. If you happen to lift with a lot of red, "brassy", the L'Oreal toning kit will fix that right away. I tend to lift brassy when I try to lighten my hair with JUST haircolor. So I double process with this kit and it still does not damage my hair. I end up with a warm chestnut, but not orangy, base color and can pull blonde highlights about 10 days later with a 2nd kit. I use TWO boxes to lighten my WHOLE head (my hair is about 2 inches past my shoulder and is THICK) and then buy ONE box to pull the blonde highlights. Remember, every persons hair: texture, health, base color is different. So use your past experience as a guide to what would work best for you. Become familiar with the haircolor wheel! There are many sites that explain the haircolor process, such as http://www.salonweb.com/pro/color.htm ALWAYS research BEFORE you buy. All I know is, I have tried L'Oreal haircolor, Garnier Nutrisse Haircolor, Clairol Haircolor - and NONE of them lifted enough to bring me to a nice light base. Therefore, I use this HIGHLIGHTING kit to pull my whole head. Then, once it is light enough I look at a color to tone it to where I want to be (darker) OR if I want to go even BLONDER, I use another box 10 days later to pull lighter. Good luck. I am by no means an EXPERT, so don't think I know everything there is to know about haircolor. I just hope I helped you a little bit!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2005 7:20:00 AM More reviews by Dvaleka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been on the hunt for the perfect fire engine red hair, without having to resort to "punky" colors, i have tried nearly everything, even my salon visits didnt get quite the result i wanted. On one of my salon visits my stylist threw in some matrix redlights in red for me, now that was the exact shade i was going for i was so happy! Alas with me having to purchase next semesters books there was no way i could afford another salon visit for a while (sob). So i went to sallys in hope of finding something to disguise my roots.

This little black and red box caught my eye in the store L'oreal Excellence Hi-Lites, it said it was a hi-lift highlighting color and it came in the exact shades that the Redlights came in (copper, copper-red, red, and magenta ). Now knowing that L'oreal owns matrix i am so not surprised to see a L'oreal version of a Matrix product, and the gal behind the counter said its exactly the same, tho i am always wary of trusting some of those gals... they are nice but sometimes they have no clue. Anyhoo i thought i would give it a go.

I used 2 boxes since my hair is quite long and thick (mid back length) and it was enough to do most of my hair. I had to pick up a bottle of level 30 developer (the cream kind not liquid). My husband helped me apply some of the mixture to my hair and to help with tin foiling it up, i weaved large portions of my hair (i wanted the majority of my hair to be this bright color). the mixture was on the thick side so there was no driping of color on the floor or my person. I have to admit the color looks scary mixed... extremely bright red. After getting it all in i waited 30 minutes then washed it out and went to bed and in the morning i was amazed at the results, exactly the same shade as the Redlights -a bright cool toned red- , i was so happy! Most definately not a natural color, which i dont mind one bit, but if it fades like the redlights which i am hoping it will fade to a nice red, not as intense but very pretty. Oddly enough my hair isn't dried out at all...this i was afraid of, no splits, no breakage, just shiny red hair. I dont know how the fading is going to be on this color yet but i will most certainly update it... This same brand also has a regular color line called Hi-Color which looks like it has some wonderful shades for women with dark hair, i was tempted but the Hi-lites caught my eye first. continued >>

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No