L'Oreal Feria Starry Night

2.6

☆☆UNLESS YOU WANT ELECTRIC BLUE HAIR DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT☆☆

A litte background to encourage you further not to buy: I am not an amateur when it comes to coloring my own hair (since I was 15 and im 30), and ive been using Feria the last 3 years. Their product has always worked well/matched the shade stated, covered completely (I have fine hair but TONS of it), never dried out my hair or faded out quickly.. And we're talking about the fact I have to dye/touch up my hair every 6 to 8 weeks so I purchase 8 or 9 kits a year.. WELL I USED TO BUT NEVER AGAIN!
I HAVE NOW CURRENTLY SPENT IN THE LAST 4 DAYS $125 AND COUNTING TRYING TO FIX THE GIANT BLUE MESS ON MY HEAD. I always follow the instructions to the T. Even after I started to towel dry my hair and noticed a slight blue tint I didn't panic too much. I usually use violet black but wanted a new look for the new year. Ohh, I definitely got what I asked for except I didn't notice in the dull household bathroom lighting. It wasn't until I was in the fluorescent bathroom lighting at work and I freaked out! Funny think was everyone I work with is so sweet, they were complimenting me the whole day. As I examined it further I noticed that even though my hair was FULLY SATURATED the color did not take completely in certain areas... WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED!
I booked the 1st available appointment I could at a highly recommended salon several co-worker's use (2 days). Upon arrival, they examine my hair and inform me it'll more than likely take 2 appts bc blue black is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to remove and my hair is so dry and corse they thought I had dyed it 3 or 4x not just once. I still have to go back for my 2nd appt but at least my hair is a normal color. Now it just looks like straw, and I just spent $60 on repairing treatments.
☆☆IF YOU ARE TRYING FOR SUBTLE OR NATURAL... DO NOT USE THIS☆☆

on 9/30/2014 9:01:00 PM

I've had so many different hair colors. Purple, oranges, reds, blues, and then back to my natural- only to get bored and switch to black. My natural hair color is a very dark brown, so I figured going to black would be a slight but welcome change. I was half right. I've used Feria coloring for almost all my dye jobs. The color is incredibly vivid, it lasts, and it's cheap. Cool, great.
This color was advertised as a 'blue black'. Well, sure, if you've got really light hair. For someone with dark hair, it will make your hair a DEAD black. Which isn't all bad if you're pale like yours truly and looking for a little bit of retro glamour. Just be warned that this is NOT blue black unless your hair is light, and if you don't have thick hair it will dry and fry your hair almost beyond repair.
Thick hair? Four stars.
Otherwise, don't waste your time.

on 6/4/2014 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

This was the absolute worst hair dye I have EVER Purchased... and I have had some cheep dollar tree hair dye before. It didnt even dye my hair black... it went from brown to one shade darker... if that. I had such high hopes.

on 5/23/2014 9:01:00 AM

Vibrant shimmering color that won't wreck or ravage your hair... The end in flat color is what L'oreal claim... This hair color was disgusting. It "bleed" continually and after 10 days I was back to my original color being dark brown. Doesn't wreck or ravage ? Left hair feeling like it was over processed and straw like. The only thing positive about this color is the packaging and advertising. Shimmering? That would be the bank account of L'oreal...

on 4/22/2014 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have lots of experience with different hair dyes. My favorite has always been l'oreal, both their professional line and the box dyes. I have very light-medium brown hair with heavy red-orange undertones. Even in a dimly lit place you'll see them. People comment that they LIKE that but I absolutely hate it, I felt it always brought out the orange in my skin tone. I used to dye it a light ash brown so it'll look more neutral but I hated getting roots. For the past 2 years I've been dying it dark brown to jet black every couple of months. I was using garnier because I think it's must healthier for your hair but the problem with those is that the color washes off very quickly. This has to be my favorite color so far. Very dark, very neutral. If you don't have reddish undertones you will probably see blue. My friend did this before and she had gray in her hair so you can see the blue. But on me this is just jet black which I absolutely love. Goodbye orangey brown hair! Yuk.

Note: This will dye everything it touches. Put a towel on your sink, be ready to wash the tub afterwards.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I would never use this again. It faded way to fast. and now my hair looks grey

on 10/4/2012 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

this color is stunning, really beautiful, but it faded so fast. i'd rather get stuff from a beauty supply that will last longer even if though i can't find a color that's just as good. i did like the conditioner that was included as well.

on 10/4/2012 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

It's the black-blue that i love the most! It leaves your hair,shiny,soft and super black! On greys it goes away faster,but,it's ok in general! It's the blackest black for me that i've found! Love it!

on 7/30/2012 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Iím not really at all sure of where to start with LíOreal Feriaís Starry Night. I took a leap, not only in changing my color (I normally opt for Jet Blacks) but in taking a chance and doing the dying at home which is something that I havenít done in almost a year, thanks to a bout with Revlon ColorSilk that resulted in having inches cut from my hair.
What I liked about Starry Night was that it didnít have a really horrific smell as some box dyes are notorious for. You know, the ones so potent that you apply it while keeping a bandana or something over your mouth and nose like a bandit for fear that you might suffocate. No? Maybe thatís just me then.
Anyway, I have TONS of hair. Itís naturally curly, coarse, extremely thick and currently reaching just below the middle of my back. One box of Starry Night coated my hair evenly and without much hassle at all. The formula dispersed well and I was pretty impressed because trying to get a comb through my hair is a nightmare on its own, never mind when itís saturated with color. Eek. The directions were simple and truly, we had no real issues with applying it. The texture is great and didnít drip or stain badly either.
Having the sort of history with at-home box dyes and the paranoia of them that I do, I made sure that I kept the dye on for not a second longer than the directions suggested. Upon washing it out, I noticed that my hair was tangling and feeling just extremely dry. Though itís been a while, I genuinely canít recall a time when any other dye made my hair feel quite as dry as this one has- even pre conditioned. ďOkayĒ, I thought, ďThe little tube of conditioner will fix this right up!Ē
WellÖnot really. I mixed the conditioner included with the box as well as my usual deep conditioner and left it on for about two hours with a shower cap. I wasnít really impressed when I washed it out. My hair still just felt sort of stiff and parched.
The blue in this color isnít too noticeable on my previously black dyed hair, not even on the (very long) roots which were previously sort of an ashy medium brown with lots of copper strands. Iím going to take a wild guess and assume that the blue in the dye neutralized my red tones and just made them gleam silver rather than blue? Itís a nice change and the color does have quite a bit of shimmer to it as advertised. The blue is very subtle though present. Mostly it just looks quite silvery somehow. To be fair, it is considered a ďBrightĒ Black rather than a blue one, so Iím not too disappointed.
Iím not going to comment on the longevity of this color simply because; wellÖI donít think I care. I doubt Iíll use it again just because of how dry it made my hair.
I know that there arenít many semi-permanent, no-bleach drugstore blue blacks out there, but I would definitely avoid this if you have somewhat dry hair anyway or use heat on your hair pretty religiously. There are certainly more gentle permanent dyes out there if your hair is dry and you canít get a hold of a light semi-permanent dye. For those of you with light colored hair or greys- BEWARE! This is likely to make your hair a royal blue. If thatís what youíre looking for and your hair is pretty resilient, then by all means, LíOreal Feriaís Starry Night might be the one. Otherwise, I think Iíd shop around.

on 6/26/2012 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

LOVE THIS COLOR!! This is my absolute favorite. I've been using it for years, I love the rich black and blue color it gives my hair, it smells wonderful, and leaves my hair so soft and shiny, it's the only dye I've found that actually IMPROVES the condition of my hair. I LOVE the blue glow. It's totally worth paying a little extra than the other box dye. I've been coloring for 15 years, and I always go back to this brand and color. I don't have a big problem with staining with this one either, unlike others that stain EVERYTHING, I don't have to scrub my tub after I rinse out this one. I highly reccomend this one, I don't understand all the negative reviews on this product. The color comes out EXACTLY as it looks on the box, and it last about 6 weeks. Perfect for me!

Popular Hair Products