December 21, 2014 | 1908 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - les true brunettes

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by stlawrenceriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have shoulder length, dark brown hair. My hair has been dyed many different colours previously, and most recent was a natural black colour about two months ago. It had faded quite a bit and was back to a dark brown before I used this dye.

I used this in the colour LC63, or the golden light brown. I used it with the intent of adding subtle hi-lights in my hair, and a slight ombre effect at the bottoms. The formula stinks, really bad. Much worse than others I've used before, so you will need a well ventilated location to do this. I applied it to my ends, and painted on thin hi-lights about two inches away from my roots. Of course, putting it on my roots would only result in an orange strip at the top, so I figured better have my roots darker than fluorescent.

The formula consistency itself is average compared with others, a middle ground thickness, and a reasonable amount of product for mid-length hair. Once I applied it, I wrapped my head in saran-wrap, (I couldn't find my shower cap) and let it sit for about 45min.

Rinse, shampoo, condition...etc. The colour is noticeable, about three shades lighter and with a carmel tone to it. It picked up a bit better at my ends, where it is about 4-5 shades lighter and very obvious. Overall, I quite like the effect. It is very natural looking, and beautiful in the sun. I think if I hadn't had regrowth, I would have applied this all over my head and the colour would have been beautiful.
Looking back, I think I should have left it on for the full hour to get a brighter end-result.

Final Verdict:

I like the dye. But I would not repurchase, mostly due to the smell. The instructions are also absolutely misleading. It warns about using it on lighter or darker hair than the suggestion, at one point saying not for previously dyed hair, and at another point say it can work for previously dyed hair (all on the insert, not the the box). I can understand why some people have poor results when they don't understand how to use the product. For natural hair the colour would likely be the same as the box. You won't get as light results on dyed hair, but it will lighten left on longer. And of course, DO NOT USE ON YOUR ROOTS, if your hair is dyed darker and you have natural regrowth, you are asking for a flaming streak.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Chapys

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like everything in life, this product has its good and bad qualities! Right off the bat you need to know that this will turn your hair a brassy color, which is why I recommend getting shade UL61- Ultra Ash Brown. Whenever you lighten dark hair it will always go through a red/orange phase and getting an "Ash" tone color is the only way to counteract that and help at least a bit with the inevitable brassiness. The reason I wouldn't call this product a failure is because it does lighten your hair. It just doesn't look like the girl on the box, but when does that ever happen anyway? Orange hair is not an invention by L'Oreal, it's just part of hair's natural chemistry and there's no way around that. That's why I suggest using products meant to counteract red/orange tones in hair such as Ardell's Unred Color Drabber. Don't be scared when you see the black colored liquid, it's normal. I usually buy the small single use packet at Sally's and mix it in with the dye before I apply it. It has never completely removed all the brass from my hair, but it has definitely helped it get closer to a neutral light brown. I have used dye on both virgin roots and on my ends which have had some faded brown dye on them. The virgin hair sections have always lightened more than the other parts which is why if you want a more even color result I would suggest starting at the mid to end of the hair first. Leave that in there for 25 minutes and then do your roots for the remaining 10-15 minutes. I am sure there are much better products out there for achieving a light ash brown, but if you aren't ready for bleach or double processing then this is a decent product to get you started. Bottom line: expect brassiness, do the ends first, and use Unred or other brass removers to help with the orange hue. Good luck!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Shadeana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is naturally blonde dyed black, medium length. I wanted to dye my hair brown to get ready for the summer and this product looked like it would do the trick. I was wrong, not only did my hair stay black but my roots changed to a bright blonde orange color. I followed the instructions carefully and I am not impressed. All this did for my hair was damage it and make my roots more obvious. Never using this product again. I do not recommend this hair dye.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by paintednightsky

I used the Sun Kissed Caramel golden brown color. I dye my hair fairly often. My hair is fairly resilient/normal quality. I've used a wide range of brands, but this seemed to really damage my hair. I've tried the regular L'oreal Preference but it hasn't damaged my hair this much, but most likely this is stronger because of the color lift. Although from my recollection even highlighting my hair repeatedly/dying blonde didn't do this much damage. Scared to even try the regular Preference again. It left my hair fried, frizzy, and with cowlicks that I've never had in my life. Basically hair sticking out in every direction. Since then I cut off a bunch of hair since my hair was long, halfway down my back and since used Garnier which has improved the condition Loreal had left it in.

My best experience has been with Garnier and I've tried every permanent brand out there. Colorsilk is pretty good too. No need to spend more for Loreal IMO. Especially now that it seems hair color price is going up even for what is considered the "cheap" brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by leslie7622

I have black/very dark brown asian hair and I used to dye my hair at the salon. It was getting expensive so I switched to box brands recently.

At the salon, I used to dye it a Light Golden Brown with Loreal's salon brand Majirel. I've tried several brands to dye my regrowth and none really matched. I've tried Clairol's Root Touch-Up (didn't do anything), Loreal Superior Preference (a little better/light but not quite) and finally Loreal Superior Preference les True Brunettes UL51.

This does have bleach on it and it smells like the ones at the salon so I guess the salon uses bleach too. It's a very strong smell and you can really feel it on your scalp. It's not a painful sting... kind of a menthol sting. After trying several brands, I learned that my hair is really dye resistant so the sting was actually comforting to me.

I did about 1 inch of my hair first to test its effectivity. After 30 minutes (according to the instructions although I included my roots since my roots were really dark and the rest of my hair was kinda light), I didn't see any change in the colored parts of my hair and it was a teeny bit lighter on my roots. So I did another swatch and went for 1 hour. It was better but still not quite. I was getting impatient so I did my whole hair head (roots only since it didn't affect the colored areas anyway) and saran wrapped my head and waited for about 55 minutes. Then I applied the dye on the rest of my hair and rinsed after about 5-10 minutes. Then I used the conditioner.

This was the closest my hair has come to the light golden brown that I got from the salon. On some of the finer hairs on my forehead it was a teeny TEENY bit too brown but was okay.

The reason I removed one lippie is because the box didn't include a brush (just gloves, the squeeze bottle, the gel, and the conditioner) and that for something for people with dark hair, I expected the instructions to be more accurate. I thought I wouldn't have to double the time (as I usually do) since this was for brunettes but apparently I was wrong.

I'll post a pic of my hair for this review. Only the first 2 inches of hair were dyed by the product. I applied the dye to the rest of my hair for about 5 minutes just to help it match. The picture is the one that is taken from above.

As for damage... I have really thick hair. I have a lot and each individual strand is thick. It takes a lot to damage my hair and this one didn't. The strand does feel a bit "strippy" and feels a bit dry. A few more conditioning treatments should fix that. I can't say it won't damage others' because it is pretty strong... Some got on my forehead and I'm starting to break out there so be extra careful about not letting it get to your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by heaherann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used UL61, Hi-lift Ash Brown. I think this is the same thing though they are calling it Sun-Kissed Caramels now. I love it!! My hair came out EXACTLY the color on the box, and I had every reason for it not to. I have shoulder length hair that is very dark, almost black at the roots with tons of grown out blond highlights starting about 2 maybe 3 inches down. I wanted to blend in the highlights, but I didn't want to go darker, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and if it was awful, I'd just go dark tomorrow. I followed the instructions to the letter, and I should note that this was the second day I had gone without washing my hair, so it may have provided some protection. Whatever it was, my hair is the perfect light ash brown with my highlights subtle and almost completely blended! There is also no hint at all of orange or red, and my hair just loves to turn orange. If you have nothing to lose (I am a stay at home mom, so I didn't have to face anyone at work tomorrow), I say go for it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2011 9:50:00 AM More reviews by kdcperez07

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to rate this product based on my results, but I do hold myself partly responsible for getting lousy results. Before using this, I had natural dark ash blonde hair color but wanted to go brown. After using two different dyes and achieving light brown hair, I finally decided I wanted to try medium brown. Big mistake, it was way too dark for my pale complexion because it practically looked black. I thought that I could use this, L'Oreal UL61, to correct my mistake. According to the L'Oreal rep I spoke to, I should have used color remover instead. This shade has bleach in it and it is made for NATURALLY medium to dark brown hair only. I ended up with WHITE roots because the dye was bleaching out my natural dark blonde hair color! Also, using this made me lose hair. We're talking handfuls of hair :-( So, keep that in mind if you are considering using this dye. It is meant to bleach out dark hair and only natural dark hair. NOT hair that has been dyed dark. I wanted to go back to dark blonde, but the dye didn't work well on my white roots so to correct it, I have to dye them dark again and try to match to the rest of my hair. I just wanted to leave this review to help anyone avoid my mistake. My advice is to call the L'Oreal 800 number first to make sure this shade will work on your hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by jsgreenapple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this color. After using Feria's Downtown Brown for a year now the store was out and I didnt want to drive 45 minutes to the next town so I tried Loreal high lift U61. I had a 1/2 of regrowth and it is very dark almost black hair. I used this formula on the roots for about 45 minutes first since the ends were already lightened. The I put it on the rest of my hair and left it for another 30 minutes. when I rinsed it out the firest 5 inches was lighter than the last 8 inches which were much darker and slightly green in color because of the ash tone but I knew what to do I took some Head and Shoulders and put it on my hair dry down to the roots and left it for about 30 minutes rinsed it and wow it's all the same color down to my tips a little darker than what they are calling the new blond. This is awesome stuff I'm switching from Feria to this!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by KandyKisses

this product S U C K S. it seems i'm just another girl screwed over by this hair color. i wanted to contact l'oreal so bad to just let them know how angry i was! i started school two days ago, and i waited the day before school to dye my bleached blonde hair (no, l'oreal DOESN'T mention that you *shouldn't* use this with blonde hair!) a light brown. yeah, my mistake for waiting so long. i dyed my hair, left it for a while, washed it out. i came into my room and looked into the mirror - MY HAIR WAS PURPLE. lilac purple. i thought maybe the dye didn't wash out well. so, i waited and took a shower the morning of my first day and to my complete dismay, i looked in the mirror and my hair was GRAY. granny gray! everyone was staring me down and asking what i did to my hair. i felt so embarrassed all day! when i got home, my hair did some weird transformation and my hair was a gross, brassy dark gray. it didn't look ANYTHING like the "ash brown" the box showed. instead, i looked like a living dead girl. i will NEVER buy l'oreal again. maybe make-up, but certainly not any of their hair products. ladies, STAY AWAY from this box of evil. and thank you REVLON for saving me the next day!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 3:02:00 AM More reviews by original

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

yea, count me as another victim of BRASSY HAIR. I used ul61: ultra light brown les brunettes preference.

A little about me: I am SE asian, nc30 with naturally blk hair. I dyed previously with garnier nutrisse and then revlon colorsilk medium ash brown about a month apart or so. Both products hardly made a dent on my stubborn asian hair. it is still MAINLY black but has a dark coppery sheen at the roots area that nicely fades into the black ends of my hair....my brother does not notice it so doubtful if most guys would. women might notice it esp at sunlight. in spite of this coppery sheen, my hair did not look brassy at all.

ok enough of background. After reading a blog and 2 youtube videos on this particular color, i wanted to go for it since i am so wanting to make my hair lighter. this claims it will lighten 3 shades lighter without brassiness. ok, i expected very little brassiness since i did have coppery...but still this product made it very very brassy and a bit to the very warm orangey-brown side. yes it is light but not a cool ash tone at all. the pic at the back of box....forget it.

i followed directions (just added extra 3-5 min). i still think if i followed directions to a tee, my hair would still be brassy like now.
the solution is quite drippy and smells strong (like h2O2) so open your windows and cover your fixtures with newspaper.

i gave it a sympathetic two b/c it is the only product that lighten my hair. otherwise, it would get a zero b/c i am not pleased with the color, strong solution (though i can deal with that), drippy solution, pricey for crap quality and finally loreal tests on animals.....i feel like a hypocrite buying this for vanity. so sorry to you, my kitty Mocha.

As a somewhat haircolor newbie, i will stick with revlon colorsilk....cheap stuff but great for true brown colors as many ladies at hair color board has mentioned.

UPDATE (few wks after dye): i change my rating to 3. hair isnt as brassy as first few days but brassy in mall lighting for some reason. other than that, i am happy with color as it is now almost a month wearing this. i would describe it similar to a cup of coffee with lots of cream (milky tea color or cafe au lait color, i guess?). yea, it is light but not scarey blonde light. might rebuy.

UPDATE 2 (after 2nd use of product on already ul61-dyed hair): so after over 1 month with roots being quite obvious, i decided to re-color my hair again with this same product in hopes that it will make my hair close to ash brown. well, it made my hair so very brassy esp in indoor lighting in malls, stores, etc. yes, this dye has done good job in evenly coloring my hair though (roots and tips) but UGLY pumpkin head i am for sure!
I posted my pic on MUA HB and how i fixed it: http://www.makeupalley.com/m_128111776/
Note: the before pic was taken about 1 week or less of my UL61 2nd hair dye job. hope this helps someone out there. i will not re-buy product. will leave ratings 3 if u wish to lighten virgin hair only. if u have had previously dyed hair even with this color, do not buy b/c will increase brassiness of ur hair!