October 31, 2014 | 792 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Bobbi Brown - Extra Spf 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by henrysmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Just saw another review and remembered that I didn't review this. I am probably a member of the target audience for this product, I am 55 with dry skin and don't need a lot of coverage. I didn't really mind the jar, it feels heavy and significant and am pretty careful about cleanliness with my cosmetics. I didn't even mind the smell, which is strong. Some people called it lavender, but it reminds me of a Dr Hauschka product, only stronger. The texture was creamy and felt very good going on. Coverage was very minimal, although it did sort of even out some of my coloring; it would not be for someone who had anything to hide. However, I only used it four times and returned it because it looked waayyy to greasy for me. I don't mind dewy, but this was over the top and didn't absorb into my skin even over time. I ended up using powder to control the shine. You know a product isn't for you when your husband tells you your skin looks better without it. I think this would be good for someone with very dry, and I mean verrryy dry skin, or someone who lives in a very dry climate, but for those of us with only "dryish" skin, it's way too much. Too bad. Returned it and am trying the BB cream now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I liked the concept of this product - a balm with SPF that provides some coverage and leaves dry skin dewy and pampered. I had a generous sample which I used up. While this balm was pleasant to use and felt good upon application I found some negatives that will prevent me from buying this.
Pros:
- Good color match for my light skin tone NW10/15, I used Extra Light
- Creamy/buttery consistency, easy to apply
Cons:
- I have dry skin with a normal t-zone and this product looked dewy for the first few minutes, but then greasy and shiny
- I did not feel like this product was really "moisturizing"
- Coverage was not even, product seemed to "slide"
- Jar packaging, while elegant, is not sanitary and destabilizes the sunscreen
- Essential oils in this product are potential irritants, would prefer less scented product
- High cost

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by saggies

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The colour was good but it made my skin very shiny so it looked like I had oily skin which I don't have. I had to use powder which defeats the whole object of a tinted moisturiser. The bottle was easy to use in the beginning but had to use an ear bud to get it out when it was nearing the bottom. It did last a long time but I did alternate with other products because of the shlep of having to powder after application.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have really been wanting to try this ever since I sae the makeup artist Lisa Elridge using this on one of her tutorials for mature women. Due the amount of the negative reviews here, I wanted to get a sample first becuase here we dont have the option of returning cosmetics. I have the shade light and it is slightly too dark for my NW 20 skin. It also feels like no other product I have tried. I did not use any moisturizer under this and you certainly dont need to becuase the testure is like butter. it feels a little bit hard until you take it in your hands where it melts down and it sure felt like oil when I was applying it. It feels very greasy and yes it leaves your skin glowy but becuase it was so greasy I felt that I need to set it and of course after I set it, it was no longer dewy. So basically this product feels heavy, does not provide much coverage but after you set it with powder it makes your face look cakey. The lavender smell is quite strong but I was not able to smell it all the time, only when I applied it. It did not irritate my skin but next day I found a couple of new pimples so this might just be too much of greasy side for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

I bought this in extra light, since this was the lightest shade Sephora had. I have dry, dehydrated cheeks and an oily t-zone so I was hoping to use this strictly on my cheeks. I like the extra moisturizing balm, so I thought this was going to be good for me. It isn't. It seems to sort of sit on top of my skin, it doesn't cover anything, and it makes my skin really greasy. This may account for the poor lasting power--4 hours at most.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by clairerenee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was really hoping to like this cream as it has spf25 and bobbi brown generally has exc pale shades. However, I found the scent overwhelming and wondered if it would make my somewhat sensitive skin react. It didn't but I found the scent totally unnecessary. I also found the balm too greasy for my t zone though as I expected the color was very good. Would not buy again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

After reading the reviews from women over 50, I am now thoroughly convinced that I am a freak of nature because as dry and arid as my skin is, this did NOT do anything for me. I was expecting tons of moisture, hydration, glow. Instead I got drier, cakey, and a dull looking finish. I should have stopped at the scent of menthol. Since when does menthol equal moisture? You know..it really really bothers me when the word "moisturizing" is misused. I want something that will literally glide onto my skin and smooth the rough spots a bit. Granted, mature skin isn't youthful skin--but a darn good Balm or foundation can help. My review has two lipsticks because the color was actually a great match (light) so there was a glimmer of hope there. I will see if I can exchange this for Bobbi Brown's moisturizing foundation but we'll see. I may just give this to my daughter. Very, very disappointed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 10:53:00 PM More reviews by pinkishbrown

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I will openly state that I work for this line, so please take that into consideration.

However, I recognize that some products are not that great, and some are "meh" and some are just awesome. This is the latter.

I am constantly trying to make my clients feel lit from within and like they are comfy in their own skin. I'm not much of an "artist" but I love my clients and want them to feel gorgeous. The best way I can do that, for my skill set, is to beautify their skin. I want them to have gorgeous skin...even if my "smokey eye" skills need more work!

This product is super moisturizing and "whipped" in feeling; like the consistency of a really decadent chocolate mousse. It goes further than many similar tinted moisturizers, both in coverage and especially in moisture. A little goes a long way.
As described, it does have SPF, which is awesome. Other benefits:
-this product would easily sub as a moisturizer (i.e. you won't need any other moisture) for most dry skin types. If you are truly scaling and flaking, then you might need to exfoliate and then heal with something from a derm, etc. Everyone else, including women who love to really baby their skin with moisture....is ideal for this product. So, in one way, you are saving $$ by not getting a separate moisturizer.

-this product is amazing for more mature skin. If you are younger and possibly more oily, this might not stay as long on you. If you are more dry, and especially if you are dealing with wrinkles....this is the BEST product. It plumps up your skin, leaves a healthy glow and dries a little so you don't feel too wet when it sets in.

-the colors are different from typical BB colors. They go in Alabaster, Extra Light, Light, Light to medium, Medium, Med to Dark, Dark, Rich (maybe also "Deep" IIRC). Because this is more sheer, it really is not the end of the world if you have to go one shade lighter or you can't get what you feel is a "perfect" match. This is a sheer coverage, so it's workable. I like to apply with a brush, but some probably prefer clean fingers. I never leave brush strokes, but if that happens, stick with using clean fingers.

- the spf is high enough to be used in a sunny situation! Like...at the beach, pool, etc. Once again, eliminating an extra product.

Other tidbits:
* the packaging is gorgeous and elegant. A nice sized glass pot with durable lid. Some may not like the pot style, but i love it. If hygiene is an issue, you can use a small scooper to put some on your hand and use that as your palette.
* the cost is not bad for the fact that it's long-lasting, smells amazing (oh yes), and can sub for up to 3 different items in your bag.
* this would be a great option for those who want to ease into foundation at an older age....maybe they are concerned with looking spackle-y. This will achieve a glowy, luminous, dewy/radiant effect. I used it on a woman who quite literally was jumping up and down in my chair, LOL....she was like PLEASE let me have this product. I couldn't get her to calm down until she had it in her hands, LOL.

Enjoy if you decide to give this a try!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/21/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by hannahpatricia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Really didn't get on with this product... I have dry skin type and love tinted moisturizers, most tinted moisturizers I use have some coverage just to even out skin tone (like Nars, Max Factor CC cream etc) but this is true to its name, it is a moisturizer with a hint of colour and doesn't hide anything. In the jar it looks like quite pigmented but when you apply it is surprisingly sheer. This might be good for some but not what I wanted. I am also a fan of the dewy look, and this made my skin look greasy and that's coming from someone with dry skin problems... The worst thing about this product I found was the smell which was potent and very botanical. Someone said below it smells like lavender... lavender is one of my favourite smells and it smells nothing like it in my opinion! It just smells... I dunno I just hate it! Like very concentrated cheap orange squash?? I don't think it is a generally offensive smell but it was to me and it was so strong, even when I washed it off I could still smell it it made me feel ill! I used it twice and then vowed never again. Waste of money for me...

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by georgiap1996

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Really upset about this product, for me anyway! I have very fair skin and I did my research, and came across the Bobbi Brown range and saw that they had the Alabaster tint, for very pale skin like myself. Happy because I've been trying to find a foundation that is pale enough for AGES. I was torn between the balm and the normal tinted moisturiser in the tube but went for the balm due to the amazing reviews I had read! So I ordered mine online in the fairest tint going (alabaster) and it arrived earlier today. Using a real techniques buffing brush to apply it, the colour was too dark which was the least of my worries, this was a tinted moisturiser and not even a foundation and it was too dark?! :( It also looked quite greasy on my face, not 'dewy' as I had hoped and how other people experienced this. Overall I am quite upset as I thought this would be the end of my search for a foundation for my pale skin. However the product does smell REALLY nice and seems like it would be very moisturising which is good if you have dry skin (I do). Wish it didn't appear so dark on me! :(