July 22, 2014 | 1117 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Color Gems

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by donor

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hello, While I have to do this a little more often than I would like, it is a great color and adds SHINE! Sadly, I was just told it is being discontinued. Anyone who use this have any thoughts?

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by heh8787

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love L'Oreal Color Gems. I have been using it on and off for years. I started using it about 8 years ago based on the recommendation of a hairdresser. Back then I used 3N.
I recently had a hair disaster at a salon. To make a long story short, I was dealing with reddish light/medium brown hair. I wanted to get to a NATURAL looking brown that wouldn't make my very light brown roots very noticeable. After a lot of research and reading reviews, I chose 6N Light Neutral Brown. As far as everyone complaining that the colors turn out darker, you should do a strand test first to see how long you should leave the color on. 20 minutes is recommended in the instructions but that is also the maximum time. I applied a protein filler to my hair first and applied the color with a bowl and brush. I left it on for 10 minutes as my strand test indicated this would be plenty of time. My hair came out perfect. A very nice light/medium neutral brown. It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since I colored and I wash my hair every day with a sulfate free shampoo. I have seen very minimal fading so far. When the demi is applied to color treated hair, it will be more permanent and won't wash completely out. I think a lot of people are mislead by demi permanents and don't understand that using them on color treated hair is much different than using them on virgin hair. I definitely recommended this product to anyone looking to make a subtle change to their hair. I also recommend using a protein filler first to ensure that the color comes out even from root to tip.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

I've used Color Gems a few times, because it was one of the few demi-permanents that was available at the time. I will not repurchase this for the following reason: no matter what color you use (besides blondes) it will end up black or dark enough anyways.

It stains your hair and never washes out, therefore its not truly a demi-permanent. I know any hair color, demi or semi included stains your hair, but this one never lightened or faded or washed out. For anyone looking for this feature, this hair color would be really good since it's more gentle than a permanent but provides long lasting results.

Too many times have I ended up with unintentional black hair and will therefore not be returning to this product. No damage though.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 11:17:00 AM More reviews by mich5chen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm Asian (very dark brown hair, almost black) & my hair permed great for years until I started coloring it. I used L'Oreal Feria permanent color, then tried switching to semi-permanent Clairol Natural Instincts & Garnier, no go. Finally tried L'Oreal Color Gems & grew out the old hair and NOW IT PERMS! I use Dark Burgundy Red & get great red highlights/color, I like it better than my natural color! Put on immediately after mixing, & I leave it for 30 minutes (I accidentally left it on for almost an hour & it was just as fine). It doesn't destroy your hair, no matter HOW LONG you leave it on, the color just gets a bit darker. Thank you, thank you, I LOVE IT! I haven't tried any other demi-permanents, I'm so happy with this.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Skhlaw

Just used color gems in burgundy. I had previously fried my dark brown hair to have it platinum blond. After being sick of frying my hair every two to three weeks I decided to go red. Paid $200 at an aveda salon only to have hot roots and the color wash out after few days!!! Tried other deposit only color from Sallys but was too light red, looked brassy. The previously dyed blond always was lighter and a different color. Looked gross. Tried color gems after reading reviews and my color is finally uniform. Feels fine. Darker Than it looked on the swatch but other reviews said that. Used 1:1 ratio with color gems activator. Still have enough left for another color and about 7 more from activator. I am super excited about color. Finally one color!! I will update how long the color lasts.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2011 9:40:00 AM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently purchased and used this demi permanent haircolor in Dark Red, I think it was a 5CR....the results are nice, but nothing to really write home about. I wish this was a little shinier and more coppery. But the color is a lovely dark red, covered well, and did not smell too awful. I would use this again, although I'm always on the lookout for something a little better. This seemed a little more drying than Wella's color gem line.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 12:47:00 PM More reviews by gz9gjg

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used L'Oreal Color Gems Demi Permanent hair color for about 5 years. My hair is permed, and I have about 50% gray. I apply with a bottle to my roots, then apply the color through the rest of my hair. I get consistent results, but I do add "Gray Magic" drops to improve gray coverage. Recently L'Oreal has reduced the number of colors available (but online retailers still have many of the discontinued colors). I recently tried Clairol Premium Creme Demi Permanent and was NOT IMPRESSED. It colored too red and too dark initially, then faded rapidly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by gypcc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay... I liked this the first time I tried it (i had virgin hair w/no strays). I now can say, with certainty.... if you have any "stray" hairs... this IS NOT FOR YOU... i just lost about 40 minutes of my life... now have stinky hair and my strays are mocking me... yup... at this very moment they are chuckling... like the chuckle patch in the magic garden. and there's not THAT many of them... just in enough places (like when i part to the left OR the right) that i can't avoid them.... SO... once again i gave this a shot... and i'm not impressed.

there is shine
easy enough to manage
definitely goes darker than you expect it too
it definitely toned down the RED that i got from some lightening attempts. i had a too dark dye job in a salon recently which has prompted my AT HOME attempts...(i dont wanna be the goth mommy pickin her lil roxtar up at preschool)... so while this did tone done the red... it wasnt really worth it.
lets see how it fades gradually. if it does it well enough... i'll finish the rest of it, and let my natural come thru (siiiigh eventually) i can live w/the strays for awhile... it's better than the goth mommy on me. (some people can rock that... i can't)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Erischaos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Why oh why didn't someone tell me about demi color years ago! This was my first attempt. I dyed my hair last week with a permanent ash based color and it came out so uneven with hot roots. I didn't want to go to a salon because the whole reason I took dying into my own hands again was to save money. I had some great highlights, but they were almost a year grown out. I bought light golden brown, diamond gloss and the matching volume 9 developer. I really wanted to add the golden blond to the mix but sally's was out of stock. I did two different strand tests. One was equal parts gloss, color & developer. I left it on for 20 minutes but didn't think it was dark enough. I did a second test on another part of my hair with two parts color, one part gloss and three parts developer. I went with that mix. I left it on my hair for about 23 minutes. My hair came out a very dark rich and shiny brown. It is definitely darker that I wanted, but I was expecting that based on the other reviews. It looks so healthy and shiny and it didn't feel gross and dry (after I rinsed it I used some leftover conditioned I had from the permanent color I applied last week- but even before that it felt great). I will update in a couple of weeks after I have washed it a few times

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2009 10:26:00 PM More reviews by f4nt4st1c

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the L'Oreal Color Gems yesterday in Dark Ash Brown. I had been itching for quite some time to dye my hair again, as I had to wait 6 weeks from an intense perm job. I have been hesitant about re-dying it, due to the damaging nature of the perm I had done. I quite literally had hair following out for 2 weeks post-perm. Talk about traumatic for my already fine hair. Also, the perm had taken out my natural shine from my hair, and was hoping a demi-permanent would give me back some of that lustre.

Naturally I have an ash brown hair color, and a olive complexion. Unfortunately, The perm had significantly lifted the color in my hair, resulting in a medium brown with a reddy undertone. This is because of the high hydrogen peroxide content in the perming solution. Nonetheless, after a painstaking 6 weeks I rushed out to sallys to find a demi-permanent hair color. After perusing for a while, I was sold by the promise of "brilliant shine", on the back. Although the product cames to "slightly enhance" my color, I know that's bogus. I am no stranger to Demi-permanent color, and know that it would alter the color of my hair.

As instructed, I bought the volume 9 activator, and mixed equal parts activator, to color in a bowl. I sectioned my hair as usual and then applied to my hair with a brush (remember to purchase gloves if you are used to drugstore box dyes). I only waited 10 minutes before rinsing, as I heard that the color tends to go a bit dark from the other reviews. Since I got the 'dark ash brown' I was hoping it wouldn't turn out black.

The color turned out perfect, uniform as promised, and I have shine again in my hair. My color was true to the swatch, so I am pleased indeed. Mind you, I have not had the opportunity to wash my hair more than twice, since doing this, so I will update how the product holds up.