September 17, 2014 | 1213 users online

Hair Color - Amphigory - Special Effects in Blue Velvet

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by lilshaxter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree with all the other reviews - this stuff is god-send!
If you're looking to get a vibrant shade of hair then the SpecialFX brand is your product. I had originally tried looking for this but couldn't find it. Instead, I used RAW color hair dye from Hot Topic - TOTAL fail. My hair turned green.
Once I nabbed this off Amazon ($36 with shipping eek!), I managed to bleach and then dye with this. I got the results I wanted all along. This is a vibrant, royal blue. As it faded it went into a blue-purple and then a pink-purple. Though it didn't look as good as it did originally, I found I could still rock it without looking like a mess.
In my opinion it lasts longer than other dyes, namely because it's semi-permanent. I touched it up after 2 months which is when it began to hit the icky mark.
I would recommend this brand to everyone seeking an unnatural color. And I actually have. I can count a handful of times where complete strangers would stop me and compliment me on my hair or ask me how I managed it.
I'd keep doing my hair in this fashion but I find all the bleaching just doesn't agree with my hair. If I were ever to go back to blue, then this would be what I'd use.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by sdr95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

A delightful dye, but if you use it on unbleached hair, it's a dark purple, not blue.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by missjoker

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would have to say that this is the best dye for dyeing your hair an unnatural color. I've had this color in my hair for about 2 months now ever since i've had this color. The color is a beautiful indigo blue which fades into an attractive blue. The only down side is that I've never seen it in stores and I've heard people say that you could find it in HotTopic which isn't true at all. The only place i found it was online and i don't mind on paying for this hair dye. THIS IS THE ONLY BRAND OF UNNATURAL DYE I USE IN MY HAIR. Don't buy any other brand of unnatural dye out there, this is the BEST DYE EVER!!!
The packaging ,however isn't so bad but i dislike having to cut open the bottle to fish out the remaining dye that doesn't wanna come out .The product its self is thick which can be diluted with your choice of hair mask or conditioner. The dye is light years beyond manic panic and any other dye . Manic Panic is watery , doesn't cover patchy uneven bleaching (i've had that happen before i knew how to bleach the correct way ) . The dye itself is a vegetable base dye which has no chemicals that harm your hair. It can be left on for overnight to achieve maximum results . Just you know it stains everything it comes in to contact with ( ears, neckline , pillows , tub , clothes , hands , nails , combs , carpet , walls ) The best way to remove it from your hand is to have 70% rubbing alcohol if its on your skin . For stains on tubs and bathroom related area is Clorox bleach and a S.O.S pad is you're new best friend .
The best way for your dye to last long is to use dry shampoo and only wash your hair 1 time every week . Washing your hair in hot water opens the hair cuticles and makes it wash out quicker. Wash your hair in ice cold water and a sulfate free shampoo and a good conditioner.
The dye is stubborn to remove from hair even with bleaching;so if you're gonna consider using this dye i recommend thinking if you really want to have this in your hair for a long period of time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE this dye. Puts just enough blue onto my blue-black hair to punch up the blue, makes my hair so soft and it smells nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 9:46:00 AM More reviews by snow_white_suicide

This is the perfect royal blue, if you happen to be looking for it. If you've found this review, chances are, you are! haha

This stuff lasts and lasts but i would suggest bleaching your hair twice before using any sfx colour. I know it sounds a little mad but the more porous your hair is, the longer it will stay. The colour adds condition back.
I've been dying my hair unnatural colours for about 14 years (mostly reds and pinks) and really wish i could pull off this colour better. I'm yellow toned (NC15) but anything cool based washes me out. I won't let that effect the review though. If you can pull off the blue, look no further. You found a long lasting bright blue dye that you will love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2008 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Jhereg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ii bleach my very dark auburn hair to apply this color. The rrest of my hair is dyed black. It's also chemically straightened.
I really like this one. it's stays in my hair solidly for about 3 week, but the problem is that the first few washings, the blue is so deep, it's impossible to see against the black unless I am in bright sunlight (even barely noticeable in artificial light) once it fades a bit though, it's pretty cool and when it really starts to fade, it becomes a kinda cool murky looking purple. I prefer to mix it with a little atomic red to brighten up ti's purple undertones so it stands out more. I like it a lot and will continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2007 4:30:00 PM More reviews by RockNRollRylty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Special Effects is the ONLY "funky" hair dye brand I will ever use again! I've dyed my hair every color under the sun, with every brand other the sun. The staying power is amazing! This color made heads turn when I applied it to my natural brown hair. Imagine what it does when you bleach first!
This color, Blue Velvet, is gorgeous not to mention the purple undertones! I agree with every other reviewer when they say this fades to a beautiful, forceful purple! This is also the only hair dye that will actually condition my hair while coloring. This is a MUST when it comes to bleaching your hair before applying color! There's no mixing of harsh chemicals. It has a thick, creamy texture that doesn't drip. I recommend this brand! Definitely worth the $10!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2007 8:32:00 PM More reviews by pikacharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Absolutely WONDERFUL. I used this color on my hair for years, and it gave me the most beautiful hair that was not only a gorgeous color, but also soft and healthy.

My hair is naturally medium-brown, so I had to lighten it first. I was worried about the bleach damage, but this dye actually helps condition and ease damage done by the bleach. The color is vibrant, true, and very long lasting on pre-bleached hair. The dye starts out looking very dark at first, but gradually lightens to a stunning true blue with a tiny bit of a purple undertone which helps prevent a a fade-to-green side effect that you get with a lot of other blue dyes. Use a color-safe shampoo and wash every other day as opposed to every day if possible, and the color will stick around for months. This is far and away the best stuff on teh market, and if I were allowed to have blue hair at work, I'd still be using it.

One word of caution: it makes kind of a mess, and is prone to staining skin, showers, clothing, and anything else it comes into contact with. Just keep some Comet on hand to clean the shower after you finish dying, and don't wear a white or light-colored shirt for the first few days, unless you're going for a tie-dyed look.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2006 10:56:00 PM More reviews by drenchedinwine

This is a GREAT blue dye...forget Manic Panic which sucks & fades fast. This is a dark blue with purple undertones. I have dark Asian hair, and when I bleach & dyed the ends of my hair with this color, it looked almost black & not that noticeable except when I went into the sunlight since it was so dark. But it faded to a normal noticeable dark blue in less than a week and stayed that way for a while. Great lasting power! after many many washings, it faded eventually to...purple! and from there to a lighter purplish grey color. I liked that though, because like the previous reviewer said, most blues fade to disgusting swampy green, and I'd take periwinkle purple over swamp green any day. So I highly recommend this dye! Great vibrant color & lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2005 2:30:00 PM More reviews by LadyMedb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is incredible. After years of searching for the perfect blue hair dye, this is it. Most blue hair dyes require a whole lot of bleaching for them to show up at all because the yellow highlights are the last thing to leave your hair when you are bleaching, and blue + yellow = green. While it is a good idea for you to bleach before using Blue Velvet (it only barely shows up on light brown hair without bleaching, and looks more like a dark purple than a blue), it is a much more forgiving colour. Best of all, since it has purple undertones to it, it fades to light blue rather than dishwater green, as most blues do. On bleached hair it lasts six weeks, and starts at a brilliant cobalt and fades to a delicious azure. If you want to dye your hair blue without frying your hair, and without the hassle of re-dyeing every two weeks, go out and buy this NOW. :)