September 19, 2014 | 1637 users online

Hair - Biosilk - Rock Hard Gelee

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2014 7:40:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have thick curly black hair. Basically some 2c waves mixed with some 3A curls. I've been using this product since October last year when I decided to stop straightening my hair. I never used gel in the past so I have nothing to compare this to. But i do think it defines my curls very well as long as I dont put in too much. Else I am left with stringy hair. I've experienced none of the dryness that some of the other reviewers complain about. My routine is as follows: Wash my hair with a bit of sulphate free shampoo and tea tree oil, condition with a silicon-free product and rinse out. Then comb through some more conditioner and add a bit of oil to seal everything in. I let that sink in for 10 minutes. Then tip my head foward and add a bit of the gel, scunching as I go along. I hate the wet greased look so I don't use too much of BRHG. Once my hair is dry, I just scrunch the gel out again near the roots and I'm left with nice curls. I think the key to avoiding the dryness is adding a leave-in conditioner and sealing with a bit of oil. And then applying the gel. Price of the gel is reasonable in my country. I usually buy a few bottles and stock up as we only have one chain store in my city that stocks it. The texture is good, spreadable and not too thick and goopy and is easy to rinse out. I don't get any flakes or stiffness with this- maybe due to my routine? When I'm in the mood, I occasionally dilute the gel with a bit of water and then spread it through my locks. I struggle to find silicone free hair styling products, and this is the one gel I can rely on to not overload and damage my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by gursk

My HG gel. Holds my 2c waves amazingly well. No flaking. Horribly expensive, but worth every penny. Just wish it wasn't so hard to find!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Moneyinthebanx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this about a year ago from TJMaxx for $10. I do like the packaging because it channels all the product downward. I think the price is ok, not dirt cheap but not super expensive because it lasts a long time.

I would buy this product again given my results. I shampoo/condition my hair, get most of the "dripping" water out and put this in while my hair is very wet. I find that the water left in my hair, along with the quarter size amount helps to distribute this through my shoulder length hair evenly. I also add Herbal Essances Tousle Me Softly mousse (which I'm not a fan of but I'm trying to use it up) and Aveda Control Force hairspray which I love.

I can get second day hair with this as long as I never put up my hair... it messes with the pattern somehow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by gracie114

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have curly hair and this gel is a must for me year round. It prevents frizz and keeps my curls defined. It's easy to get second day hair with this.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2010 10:57:00 PM More reviews by mkmonty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this gel due to the great reviews on MUA as well as naturallycurly.com. I didn't like it on its own -- too much crunch for my 3a hair so I tried using it a couple of times with my HG curl cream (BB Curl Defining Creme). This combo did give me great hold, enhanced my curls and helped control the frizzies. But, it also flaked badly -- to the point that I had to stop wearing dark colors when I used it. Frankly, I don't love any gel that much so I stopped using it and have handed it over to my husband to try.

UPDATE 10/24/11 - After spending so much money on various curl creams and gels, I finally repurchased BRHG after asking a MUAer with similar hair what she is currently using. I don't know if I originally purchased a bad bottle of gel or if the gel was just old but this new tube that I purchased from Ulta was in different packaging and the scent had changed. I am finding that I now adore this gel - it makes my hair shiny, holds and enhances the curls and there is no flaking. So glad I tried it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by vix5586

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to gel for when I wear my hair curly. It has the strongest hold of any gel I've tried (and I've pretty much tried them all). My frizz prone curls stay smooth and shiny until my next wash. It does leave my hair crunchy, which I personally like because crunch for me tends to mean strong hold. It scrunches out easily though. I've been using this stuff for 4 years and still can't find anything that compares to the control and hold it gives.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2009 4:55:00 PM More reviews by nance8979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I (like many others) bought this gel after reading rave reviews on this site and naturallycurly.com. I held off for a while since it is so expensive, but decided to splurge one day thinking it would be worth it if it worked as well as people said. Unfortunately it did not work for me. For starters, it dried my hair out and did nothing for the frizz. I think it was the protein. The other weird thing was the hold -- it was not rock hard at all. I see that many people complained about that, but I had the opposite problem. It did not give me any better hold than regular gels. Not sure why. It's great that is works for so many other people, but I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2009 8:59:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used this after reading raves for this gel on naturallycurly.com. I used it over my leave in and regular gel and got amazing hold and curl definition. It's pricy at $20 but I only need to use a tiny bit (about the size of a dime) for my just past shoulder length hair. I fully expect the small tube to last me 4 months or more. The packaging is just so-so - I can already tell it will be a pita to get out the last bits.

I've also tried it, mixed in with aloe vera and it gave me decent hold and definition but left my hair extremely dry - definitely layer or mix in with a moisturizing gel,leave in, or cream.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by bluemeanie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm 3b/3c curly, with fine, thin hair. I read about BRHG for a long time at naturallycurly.com and I never was motivated to buy it, despite the raves there. DH shared with me that he likes my shoulder-length curls loose (as opposed to up in a clip every single day all summer long to avoid frustration with frizz) so I figured it was time to give BRHG a try, especially since my ULTA coupon helped with the price. Well, it was love at first wear! I mix BRHG with either KCCC or a gel from Curls and I get nice curls that last all day with no frizz as long as I keep my hands out of my hair. I have to scrunch out the crunch, but my hair is great after that - my curls are soft and last all day with no frizz. I will definitely repurchase, even without an ULTA coupon!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by tastest

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

On my 3rd tube now, this gel is the best I have ever used.

Like many others, I was blowing my naturally curly hair straight.
You know, that same boring straight hair, side bang look all the clones wear today.

Now, I just wash and condition, leave it soaking wet and squish in this magic gel.
Air dry and put up in a high loose pony tail at night.

Next morning, gorgeous fluffy curls. All I do is straighten my side bangs( 1 minute) and it looks like I have spent an hour curling it with a curling iron.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No